Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

EA Sports MMA is available now, please post your impressions.

See the full press release, along with a launch trailer and new screenshots.

Go Beyond the Cage with Global Fighting Experiences, MMA Superstars and Innovative Online Features

*Check out all the new screenshots, right here.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., - October 19, 2010 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), announced that EA SPORTS™ MMA is available in stores throughout North America starting today and will launch worldwide beginning October 22 and in Japan on November 11. EA SPORTS MMA, offering the most authentic, intense and broadest mixed martial arts experience to date, allows players to travel the world and learn a multitude of fighting techniques and skills. The game features a vast array of world-class fighters, and players can extend their gaming experience online through a first-of-its-kind feature - EA SPORTS Live Broadcast.

Fighters can further showcase their MMA skills to the world through EA SPORTS Live Broadcast in which players can create their own fighter and then produce a hype video to get noticed by an actual EA SPORTS promoter. Once selected by the EA SPORTS promoter, players will be able to have their fight broadcast online through EA SPORTS Live Broadcast, while a live commentator calls every move made during the fight. Moreover, each EA SPORTS Live Broadcast fight can be viewed on game consoles or online via the web.

“EA SPORTS MMA is the most immersive and authentic mixed martial arts experience available, bringing together great fighters, opportunities to train and fight internationally and features that allow players to prove their skills online to a wide audience,” said EA SPORTS MMA Executive Producer Dale Jackson. “EA SPORTS is excited to bring this highly anticipated title to mixed martial arts fans and help grow the popularity of the sport worldwide.”

EA SPORTS MMA provides the definitive mixed martial arts experience, featuring multiple disciplines, rule sets, locations and fighters from all over the world. Players can fight in a ring, hexagonal or circular cage, and the MMA environment comes to life with ring girls, corner men and referees. Ring announcer Jimmy Lennon Jr. provides fighter introductions while Big John McCarthy officiates fights and MMA legend Frank Shamrock and commentator Mauro Ranallo call the action.

Through career mode, fighters will be able to train in locations around the world with legends of the sport such as Randy Couture, Pat Miletich, Rickson Gracie and Bas Rutten, visiting gyms in Japan, Brazil, Thailand and the U.S. While training internationally, players will teach their fighter new skills as they rise up the ranks to make it to one of the biggest stages in MMA – STRIKEFORCE.

Other key features within EA SPORTS MMA include:
  • Fighter Share – Players can put themselves into the world of MMA training and fighting and begin the quest to become a champion. They can upload photos of themselves and use Photo Game Face to create their own, personalized roster of fighters. Display and share these create-a-fighters via Fighter Share by uploading and browsing other created fighters. In addition, through Fighter Share players can download and try out any fighters created by the passionate EA SPORTS MMA community.
  • Customize Your Own Fight Card – Become a promoter and set up a night of fights with your friends. With the ability to host four fights per card with up to 10 people connected*, players can challenge each other to fights, and talk trash while friends provide commentary to the fight.
  • Total Strike Control – Through an intuitive control system for striking, elbow, knees and kicks, players can go on the offensive with Total Strike Control, providing the utmost flexibility for their fighters. EA SPORTS MMA also provides the flexibility for those who prefer fighting using face buttons with the Classic Control scheme.
Sherdog MMA Fighter Exchange Program brought to you by EA SPORTS MMA

Announced on October 11, EA SPORTS will be sponsoring the Sherdog MMA Fighter Exchange program, which mirrors EA SPORTS MMA’s career mode where young fighters travel the globe to learn various martial arts disciplines.

The program gives four up-and-coming fighters the opportunity to learn new fighting techniques and disciplines while training with STRIKEFORCE MMA superstars that appear in EA SPORTS MMA. Two North American fighters will train in Japan and Brazil under the tutelage of Luke Rockhold and Jason “Mayhem” Miller, while two international fighters, will be mentored by Gegard Mousasi and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza in the U.S.

Sherdog.com will provide a behind-the-scenes look throughout the fight camps with blog and video coverage of the fighters. After weeks of training, the four fighters will make their STRIKEFORCE debut, as an undercard, during the December 4 fight featuring Dan Henderson vs. Renato “Babalu” Sobral, which will be streamed online by Sherdog.com.

EA SPORTS MMA will be available on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the iPhone® and iPod® touch.

For more information about EA SPORTS MMA, visit http://www.easportsmma.com or follow the game on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/easportsmma and Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/easportsmma.

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Gotmadskillzson @ 10/21/10 04:25 PM
Oh I must say I am amazed how effective jabs, leg kicks, fake shots and fake shooting is in this game. I played as Randy vs Tim Silvia last night and it was a blast.

I was able to take big Tim down at will in the 1st round. Came second round I would fake it, Tim would try to block it, which allowed me to clock him with an overhand right.

Just like when I play as Nick Diaz I love jabbing my opponents. Also when I played against the cpu, forgot who it was but he was eating my leg up with leg kicks and the guy I was using had a low block rating and low leg health. Needless to say my movement came to a snail pace.

# 122 DaveDQ @ 10/21/10 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
You must press it as fast as possible when you are rocked and they are beating u up for the TKO. You must regain the full bar for them to wrap up and "survive". So it is a speed game of how fast you can build the bar back up vs them landing each punch to drain it.

At first I was doing it the speed of the submissions and quickly learned that is not the correct route.
Thanks for this..can't wait to try it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King10Sooted
Thanks. I was doing it totally wrong too.

I still suck at chokeholds too though. No matter what I do it seems I get submitted.
In the career tutorial they teach you to go from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and vice versa. I hardly ever go above that when in a choke.

# 123 King10Sooted @ 10/21/10 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
In the career tutorial they teach you to go from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and vice versa. I hardly ever go above that when in a choke.
Yea, I played through that. I still suck at it and have problems with it lol. Still a great game though.

# 124 JoeMimic @ 10/21/10 07:14 PM
I love how they will pronounce some created fighter names even if they aren't on the list and you put them in there custom. For instance they have the first name Clay but not the last name Guida however if you input Guida as his last name it will announce him as such. Very cool.

# 125 Araxen @ 10/21/10 08:47 PM
I really love this game. My only complaints right now is mainly with presentation which I'm sure will be fixed in the next years game.

My nitpicks:

Not being able to use custom music for your created fighters
Sign Dream or Sengoku for a proper Japanese Promotion
More celebration animations, etc...
Proper Japanese Crowd

The core of the game is excellent though.

Pride Lady as announcer for Japanese fights was a welcomed touch!

PS: For next years game hire "The Voice" Michael Schiavello as the games fight commentator. Get rid of Mauro and Frank.

# 126 DJ @ 10/21/10 08:53 PM
How do you defend against strikes in the clinch? I just spent a good 40 minutes with the demo and am really enjoying the R-stick punching controls. The ground game is good (although I get reversed a ton) and I love the submission system.

# 127 JohnDoe8865 @ 10/21/10 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxen
I really love this game. My only complaints right now is mainly with presentation which I'm sure will be fixed in the next years game.

My nitpicks:

Not being able to use custom music for your created fighters
Sign Dream or Sengoku for a proper Japanese Promotion
More celebration animations, etc...
Proper Japanese Crowd

The core of the game is excellent though.

Pride Lady as announcer for Japanese fights was a welcomed touch!

PS: For next years game hire "The Voice" Michael Schiavello as the games fight commentator. Get rid of Mauro and Frank.
I would love to hear "The Voice". His commentary style seems made for a video game lol.

# 128 H8ff0000 @ 10/22/10 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMimic
I love how they will pronounce some created fighter names even if they aren't on the list and you put them in there custom. For instance they have the first name Clay but not the last name Guida however if you input Guida as his last name it will announce him as such. Very cool.
Funny you mention the name Guida. During one of the training regimens, my sparring partner was named Guida. So yeah, it's definitely there even if it isn't pre-selectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlon
A little nit picky complaint I have is when the screaming Japanese lady says Japanese names, she says their surname last. In Dream, she says Japanese surnames first.
I could see that being an easy option to code in. In theory even in this year's game with a patch. However, there is a problem with that: the surname is given the proper "impact" when being announced as-is, so they would need to record all the names in an alternate tone to apply to the reversed situation.

# 129 sb24 @ 10/22/10 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
How do you defend against strikes in the clinch? I just spent a good 40 minutes with the demo and am really enjoying the R-stick punching controls. The ground game is good (although I get reversed a ton) and I love the submission system.
Dont push up on the left analog when you transition and you wont be reversed.

# 130 n8ccwa @ 10/22/10 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
Anyone know if there is a way that I can pick my own fights in career mode. I looked at the rankings and there were many fighters that I would love to crush.
I don't think so. I just started my career last night and in one of the first e-mails you get the office girl says that Bas will pick all of your matchups because he's a master match maker and you'd just pick the fights with the highest purse.

# 131 Gotmadskillzson @ 10/22/10 12:38 PM
Yeah I like fighting anywhere but Strikeforce......Strikeforce rules don't allow elbows on the ground. So if you want a rule set like UFC, fight in europe under the unified rule set.

No holds bar, everything goes, elbows on the ground, knees on the ground, soccer kicks, face stomps, fight in Brazil Vale Tudo rules.

Want everything but elbows on the ground, fight in Japan, under Japanese rules.

No enough people playing this late at night time though. I couldn't get a match at all last night when I started looking for one at 10est. I guess everybody is playing Fallout New Vegas.

I do wish they had the single collar tie though. That position would have really made Randy Coutoure shine. As it is now, when you fight against him all he does is push you up against the cage or take you down with a double league.

I noticed they have Andrei Arloski as a muay thai fighter, I thought he was a sambo fighter. Even the classic Andrei is muay thai fighter as well.

Was surprised they didn't have Carlos Newton in the game, along with classic Maurice Smith, Sakaraba "The Gracie Hunter", Don Frye.

But yeah they definitely need to work on the grappling aspect and presentation.

# 132 Flightwhite24 @ 10/22/10 05:51 PM
DAMN IT!!! I gotta stop reading these impressions. Lol. I'm so tempted to get this or just repurchase UFC 10. UFC was just so hard for me and all the KO's mad it unrealistic. I'm off this weekend and may make the jump. Gotta remember to stay away from Phobia. Lol

# 133 Phobia @ 10/22/10 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
DAMN IT!!! I gotta stop reading these impressions. Lol. I'm so tempted to get this or just repurchase UFC 10. UFC was just so hard for me and all the KO's mad it unrealistic. I'm off this weekend and may make the jump. Gotta remember to stay away from Phobia. Lol
LOL just go get it you know you dying to play it

# 134 sb24 @ 10/22/10 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
Man I understand. I was trying to pass on this game but the impressions seemed to good. Now I am picking it up in 20 mins when I leave work.

# 135 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 10/22/10 06:56 PM
QUESTion guys do you guys use the classic controls or the new controls?

# 136 Phobia @ 10/22/10 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
I love the total strike controls by far more than the classic. I had a hard time with the striking at first but after more than a week with the game. I can throw the strikes I want, when i want now. Plus having all the pass, defend controls on the buttons I like much more.

# 137 ManiacMatt1782 @ 10/22/10 08:28 PM
i think i found the first exploit, sadly a player with classic controls can throw with the other hand really fast off their punch being parried, so parring is useless, you cant sway because they will abuse the body with combos , and the parry that blocks those is useless. against someone who knows what they are doing and just taps away with the left stick for an automatic sprawl even if you shoot mid combo. ea needs to tone this down and fix it. slow down the speed in which these button spammers can swing especially off of being parried.

# 138 Brickz187 @ 10/22/10 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
No doubt total control. I have yet to use classic controls, but honestly I don't want to. I hated it in the demo and wasn't going to pick this game up, but I'm glad I did. I'm having way more fun with EA MMA then I did with UFC 2010, and UFC was a great game so that tells you EA is doing something right.

# 139 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 10/23/10 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickz187
No doubt total control. I have yet to use classic controls, but honestly I don't want to. I hated it in the demo and wasn't going to pick this game up, but I'm glad I did. I'm having way more fun with EA MMA then I did with UFC 2010, and UFC was a great game so that tells you EA is doing something right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I love the total strike controls by far more than the classic. I had a hard time with the striking at first but after more than a week with the game. I can throw the strikes I want, when i want now. Plus having all the pass, defend controls on the buttons I like much more.

im going to try total control. i see you just hit the button ffor submission and counter and sprawl. do you have to hold the buttons or just tap it?do you have to rotate anything?

# 140 Gotmadskillzson @ 10/23/10 01:51 AM
I am a classic controls guy. Give me buttons over stick moves anyday. TSC makes my thumb hurt with the movement.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.