Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

According to CVG, EA Sports MMA hasn't sold many copies and with THQ and Zuffa, LLC extending their exclusive UFC videogame license through 2018, it might be one and done, for EA Sports MMA.

Quote:
"EA is likely to back out of the mixed martial arts genre after its debut offering, EA Sports MMA, made a poor start at retail.

That's according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz, who thinks UFC Undisputed maker THQ may have scored a knockout blow in the MMA battle between the publishers.

"EA's recently released 'MMA' appears to be more or less DOA at retail, while UFC recently announced an extension of its license with THQ, likely putting an end to EA's efforts to expand into the mixed martial arts genre," the analyst said in a research note this morning."

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Money99 @ 10/25/10 04:03 PM
Exclusive deals suck. I wonder if the day where a top sports game (ie Madden, NBA2K or NHL) is made exclusive to one console is close at hand.

Dana White is very shortsighted in the deal he made with THQ. I get it that he's miffed at EA, but all of that took place before Peter Moore took over.

Why not sell the license to both? All it could do is expand the interest of your sport.
If you're a businessman you can't let bitterness cloud your judgement.

# 22 Lakers 24 7 @ 10/25/10 04:07 PM
The big question is whether or not they'll cut their losses now or support the game at least through a couple of patches.

If they do the latter the game, like APF 2k8, will never grow old. To this day you can still find a game online with APF, I see EA MMA having the same longevity if they don't release a new title.

# 23 Lakers 24 7 @ 10/25/10 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Exclusive deals suck. I wonder if the day where a top sports game (ie Madden, NBA2K or NHL) is made exclusive to one console is close at hand.

Dana White is very shortsighted in the deal he made with THQ. I get it that he's miffed at EA, but all of that took place before Peter Moore took over.

Why not sell the license to both? All it could do is expand the interest of your sport.
Even UFC 2010 sales were lower than expected, the MMA market just isn't large enough to have 2 game companies producing content with the same license.

# 24 aholbert32 @ 10/25/10 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

As a businessman, you also should do buisness with companies you trust. Everybody here spins UFC10 as if it was a disaster and it wasnt. It was a disaster as a game but it was profitable for both THQ and the UFC...just not as profitable as 09. The UFC is happy with THQ and vice versa. Also video gamers are fickle as hell. As great as EA's game is, if THQ greatly improves UFC in 2012 the gamers will come in droves.

The whole reason they decided to go to the two yr plan wasnt because they saw UFC10 as a disaster but because they thought the MMA market was not big enough to justify an annual release. So with that line of thinking, why would they think the market would be strong enough to support two games by two different companies?

# 25 koolbubbaice @ 10/25/10 04:19 PM
This is the most sim like sports game EA ever created IMO.. As was said.. I actually fear good grapplers.. They play to their strengths.. The AI is very good.. FN is still too arcady.. Throwing 200 punches a round is lame.. You know a sports game leads to the arcade side when it's popular with the masses.. Again.. It's about profit.

# 26 Jukeman @ 10/25/10 04:24 PM
Hope they deliver a knockout blow with FN...

# 27 aholbert32 @ 10/25/10 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
There's been games that have sold poorly AND got poor reviews that get sequels from companies that don't have nearly the money EA does. This certianly should. At the very least if this doesn't get a sequel sell off the engine to THQ so they can use it to make UFC not suck.
EA's is putting significant marketing muscle behind this game so you cant compare it to other EA games that have sold poorly. I swear I saw that MMA commercial 20 times this wknd. Not saying they wont make a sequel but without the sales, I dont see why they would.

Its not like the UFC's brand isnt going to be bigger in 2012 and if they stay on the same release schedule they will be releasing the game around the same time as the UFC's game.

# 28 HiTEqMETHOD @ 10/25/10 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I doubt it be one and done, even with poor sales, EA has deep pockets and could absorb bad sales. I mean hell look at their street games, those sold poorly but they still sold it for 3 years straight.

It would be a shame though, THQ killed wrestling games when they got the WWE license for a long term contract years ago and they will do the same with MMA by having the UFC contract for long term.
I'm not so sure EA are as willing as they used to be in terms of taking losses on the chin and still pumping out games. EA is really being hit hard it terms of all these problems piling up. Elite is delayed and it's reputation hurt even before the first game was released, Madden has been on a steady decline, and now their MMA game doesn't sell.

Things could get very ugly in the coming years for EA, especially if 2K is able to make another NFL game. EA could possibly end up resting on their laurels when it comes to the NHL and FIFA franchises because they want to take the safe rout with what works and those great games could end up becoming stale like Madden.

# 29 Phobia @ 10/25/10 04:36 PM
The two blogs on EA MMA on the front page are STUPID. Makes zero sense the one about "lack of knowing the fighters". I hate that argument. It is no different than creating a fighting game such as blaze blue, SFIV, Tekken, etc. Because the characters real or fake don't make a lick of difference.

The short comings of EA MMA was lack of advertising. The commercial spots were few and far between and the commercials I did see were not that great. One I hardly even knew it was for a game. Showing 30 secs of real fighters then a quick 5 sec blur of the game is not going to cut it.

So I don't agree with the licensing was the issue. Sure more main stream fans will know only the main UFC fighters. But there are still plenty of MMA fans & just flat out game fans that would enjoy the game. But the issue is not everyone even knows the game is out.

If it was not for sites like OS how would many of us know about it. It sure would not be from advertising, because that was hardly utilized.

# 30 PlatooN @ 10/25/10 04:41 PM
phobia, i agree about the lack of advertisements but i think the UFC brand has a share in it. People that arnt even really MMA would be interested because they are familiar with UFC. EA MMA only really had a shot of attracting the more hardcore fans.

# 31 aholbert32 @ 10/25/10 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
The two blogs on EA MMA on the front page are STUPID. Makes zero sense the one about "lack of knowing the fighters". I hate that argument. It is no different than creating a fighting game such as blaze blue, SFIV, Tekken, etc. Because the characters real or fake don't make a lick of difference.

The short comings of EA MMA was lack of advertising. The commercial spots were few and far between and the commercials I did see were not that great. One I hardly even knew it was for a game. Showing 30 secs of real fighters then a quick 5 sec blur of the game is not going to cut it.

So I don't agree with the licensing was the issue. Sure more main stream fans will know only the main UFC fighters. But there are still plenty of MMA fans & just flat out game fans that would enjoy the game. But the issue is not everyone even knows the game is out.

If it was not for sites like OS how would many of us know about it. It sure would not be from advertising, because that was hardly utilized.
Totally disagree. This isnt a fighting game....its a sports game. Sports games sell because of the licenses and players. Thats why Backbreaker sold very few copies and any NFL license game sells well. Same thing here.

I talked to a ton of casual MMA fans this wknd because of the Lesnar fight and very few of them knew who Fedor was. The only reason they know Couture is because he is a UFC fighter. Thats a problem when those are the two biggest fighters in the game.

Also EA advertised plenty. I saw an ad for this game during yesterday's NFL game, during the UFC prelims, UFC 120 and all this week on Spike. There was plenty of advertising.

# 32 Lakers 24 7 @ 10/25/10 05:00 PM
Quote:

I have to disagree. This game has gotten a major push from EA, the commercials have been numerous. Any show or event that had anything to do with MMA EA had ad spots for. They also have some creative marketing going on the most popular MMA site on the net, Sherdog. They've done youtube promos, a lot of promo through StrikeForce, and they've received proper coverage from every major gaming website.

Knowing the fighters or athletes in a sports game is important. One of the reasons APF never caught on was due to the generic feel.

# 33 Phobia @ 10/25/10 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Totally disagree. This isnt a fighting game....its a sports game. Sports games sell because of the licenses and players. Thats why Backbreaker sold very few copies and any NFL license game sells well. Same thing here.

I talked to a ton of casual MMA fans this wknd because of the Lesnar fight and very few of them knew who Fedor was. The only reason they know Couture is because he is a UFC fighter. Thats a problem when those are the two biggest fighters in the game.

Also EA advertised plenty. I saw an ad for this game during yesterday's NFL game, during the UFC prelims, UFC 120 and all this week on Spike. There was plenty of advertising.
I saw a few commercials but they were few and far between. Plus the commercials were not great in my opinion. None of them made me say "Ohh damn that looks badass".

Lastly, I disagree about the "sports" game angle. Reason being is people always talk about "casual" gamers and the "hardcore" gamers. Madden sells plenty of copies BECAUSE of the casual crowd. While most the "hardcore" crowd complain about the gameplay.

So the lack of purchasing from the game can't be because it is a "sport" game. Hell most casual fans would not even consider EA MMA a sport, they would consider it a "fighting game". Most of the ones who have it right now even still try to play it as a fighting game and not a sport.

So while we the MMA fans know it is a sport. The average Joe, like my dad for instance look at this as a "fighting game". My dad loves Fight Night series and when I told him about this he was like "Isn't that the karate fighting game". So your standard 12 to 14 year old who sees a commercial for UFC, Strikeforce, Pride, etc know nothing different between the different organizations. All they know is that it is a "fighting game" like the real fighting.

A casual fan I would not even see them naming many UFC fighters. Hell you could make a argument that most people only know the very very well known ones such as Chuck Liddell, Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva, and Frank Mir. But you name Dan Hardy, Sonnen, Brandon Vera, etc to a casual gamer and they will know them no better than Jake Shields.

Now don't get me wrong, UFC carries more weight for sure. But enough to warrant the big lack of sales. I just don't see that being the case. I think it is more to a marketing issue. My lady does marketing for 14 locations of her job and hell they do more marketing than what I have seen out of EA MMA.

# 34 Phobia @ 10/25/10 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
I have to disagree. This game has gotten a major push from EA, the commercials have been numerous. Any show or event that had anything to do with MMA EA had ad spots for. They also have some creative marketing going on the most popular MMA site on the net, Sherdog. They've done youtube promos, a lot of promo through StrikeForce, and they've received proper coverage from every major gaming website.

Knowing the fighters or athletes in a sports game is important. One of the reasons APF never caught on was due to the generic feel.
Yet again you see you are talking about marketing to a select group. Of course many of those members could of went bought the game and the numbers would still be considered low.

I am talking national marketing. So it to be this "huge" marketing endeavor I just have not seen it. I have seen a few commercials, none of which were that great to me. But nothing has came off as something that would draw in kids around the country. A killer trailer on TV would change this I believe. We all know what it is like when we see a great movie trailer or game trailer. "We just have to have this". Nothing from EA MMA marketing has made this impression on me.

This was the main one I saw and I find it SUCKS. Nothing about this trailer makes me say "I WANT THIS" and I love this game. Look at how damn short the actual gameplay is. When I first saw this I thought it was a commercial for MMA not a game.

# 35 Lakers 24 7 @ 10/25/10 05:12 PM
Let's not write this title off just yet

http://mmapayout.com/2010/10/ea-spor...t-perspective/

Quote:
On the sales side of the launch, Loretta Hunt of the LA Times was able to reach EA Sports marketing manager Randy Chase and was notified that EA MMA was doing comparable numbers to THQ’s UFC Undisputed 2010.
And while Chase said EA doesn’t release its sales figures, he did confirm that the game’s distribution numbers are on par with the UFC title. Chase said the company has already started to work on an updated installment, and the game leader plans to alternate release years with its “Fight Night” boxing game.

Quote:
In the end, the lack of the UFC brand will indeed hurt the sale numbers of the game, not to mention the heavy competition the EA Sports MMA title received from video game titles releasing that same week such as Fallout: New Vegas, DJ Hero 2, Time Crisis: Razing Storm, and Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 to name a few.

^ Good point there have been a lot of big titles released very recently and more on the way. Maybe a better release date next time around?

# 36 Phobia @ 10/25/10 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24/7
Let's not write this title off just yet

http://mmapayout.com/2010/10/ea-spor...t-perspective/

^ Good point there have been a lot of big titles released very recently and more on the way. Maybe a better release date next time around?

[/indent]
You know New Vegas hurt its numbers

# 37 aholbert32 @ 10/25/10 05:18 PM
Quote:
I saw a few commercials but they were few and far between. Plus the commercials were not great in my opinion. None of them made me say "Ohh damn that looks badass".

Lastly, I disagree about the "sports" game angle. Reason being is people always talk about "casual" gamers and the "hardcore" gamers. Madden sells plenty of copies BECAUSE of the casual crowd. While most the "hardcore" crowd complain about the gameplay.

So the lack of purchasing from the game can't be because it is a "sport" game. Hell most casual fans would not even consider EA MMA a sport, they would consider it a "fighting game". Most of the ones who have it right now even still try to play it as a fighting game and not a sport.

So while we the MMA fans know it is a sport. The average Joe, like my dad for instance look at this as a "fighting game". My dad loves Fight Night series and when I told him about this he was like "Isn't that the karate fighting game". So your standard 12 to 14 year old who sees a commercial for UFC, Strikeforce, Pride, etc know nothing different between the different organizations. All they know is that it is a "fighting game" like the real fighting.

A casual fan I would not even see them naming many UFC fighters. Hell you could make a argument that most people only know the very very well known ones such as Chuck Liddell, Brock Lesnar, Anderson Silva, and Frank Mir. But you name Dan Hardy, Sonnen, Brandon Vera, etc to a casual gamer and they will know them no better than Jake Shields.

Now don't get me wrong, UFC carries more weight for sure. But enough to warrant the big lack of sales. I just don't see that being the case. I think it is more to a marketing issue. My lady does marketing for 14 locations of her job and hell they do more marketing than what I have seen out of EA MMA.

Most of the hardcore crowd complains BUT they still buy Madden. Thats why there are tons of people in OS Madden Forums.

The casual fan can name the following UFC fighters: Brock, Cain (because of this wknd), GSP, Liddell, Rampage, Silva, BJ and Hughes. Those are the people that the casual fan likes to fight with. They arent using Dennis Siver or Pellegrino. They like fighting with people they know. You cant compare any MMA game to Tekken because the MMA game is based in real life. There is no storyline to an MMA game like in a fighting game. If you give the casual fan the choice between buying a game with people they know and recognize and a game where they know nobody....they are going to choose the first game.

It doesnt matter how great the game is. People like fighting with people they know. There is a reason that 3/4 of the fighters in Fighter share are UFC fighters.

# 38 Phobia @ 10/25/10 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Most of the hardcore crowd complains BUT they still buy Madden. Thats why there are tons of people in OS Madden Forums.

The casual fan can name the following UFC fighters: Brock, Cain (because of this wknd), GSP, Liddell, Rampage, Silva, BJ and Hughes. Those are the people that the casual fan likes to fight with. They arent using Dennis Siver or Pellegrino. They like fighting with people they know. You cant compare any MMA game to Tekken because the MMA game is based in real life. There is no storyline to an MMA game like in a fighting game. If you give the casual fan the choice between buying a game with people they know and recognize and a game where they know nobody....they are going to choose the first game.

It doesnt matter how great the game is. People like fighting with people they know. There is a reason that 3/4 of the fighters in Fighter share are UFC fighters.
I don't know. I agree to a degree. But also think it is much deeper than just a UFC over unknown league issue. But that is just my opinion.

Plus if Chase is being truthful in that post 24/7 made. Then that shoots that theory down if it is selling comparable with UFC 2010. Means just as many people are going out to buy it.

# 39 aholbert32 @ 10/25/10 05:29 PM
Quote:
I don't know. I agree to a degree. But also think it is much deeper than just a UFC over unknown league issue. But that is just my opinion.

Plus if Chase is being truthful in that post 24/7 made. Then that shoots that theory down if it is selling comparable with UFC 2010. Means just as many people are going out to buy it.
Never trust stats from a marketing manager. There is NO WAY that these sales are comparable to 2010. There were 0 preoders at two of my local gamestops. The game had limited buzz. Its growing now that the reviews are in but no where close.

# 40 Lakers 24 7 @ 10/25/10 05:33 PM
To be clear, he stated that the initial distribution was good, which is different from sales and doesn't always indicate strong sales.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.