Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports Announces NBA® 2K11 to be Available in 3D on PlayStation®3 System

Offered exclusively at Best Buy® on November 16th; free downloadable upgrade for current game owners over PlayStation® Network in January

New York, NY - November 2, 2010 - 2K Sports today announced that NBA® 2K11, the top-selling and top-rated NBA video game simulation franchise*, will be available in 3D on the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. This immersive NBA 2K11 3D experience will be available exclusively for the PlayStation 3 system at Best Buy starting November 16, 2010. The 3D version of the game will play normally on any television set; however, a 3D HD television with compatible 3D active glasses will be needed to enjoy the game in three dimensions.** All current owners of NBA 2K11 for the PlayStation 3 system will be able to download an upgrade to enable their game to play in 3D for free from the PlayStation®Store for the PlayStation 3 system starting in January 2011.

"The authentic broadcast presentation of NBA 2K11 is something we're really proud of," said Greg Thomas, president of product development for 2K Sports. "The new 3D capabilities literally add a new dimension to the experience and provide a level of immersion that has never been experienced in a basketball video game."

Now presented in 3D, NBA 2K11 offers an extra layer of depth to what many critics are already hailing as the deepest, most immersive, and best sports game of this generation. In NBA 2K11, players can become Michael Jordan for the first time and relive his greatest moments with the Jordan Challenge. With realistic physics, lifelike player models, broadcast-quality presentations and feature-rich simulation, NBA 2K11 is the most complete experience ever available in a sports game. NBA 2K11 also supports the PlayStation®Move motion controller on the PlayStation 3 system.

NBA 2K11 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and is available now on PlayStation®3 system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system. For more information, please visit http://www.2ksports.com/nba2k11.

*According to 2008 - 2010 Gamerankings.com and The NPD Group
estimates of U.S. retail video game sales through August 2010.

** PS3™ system software v3.30 (or later), 3D display with compatible 3D active glasses and high-speed HDMI cable (all sold separately) required for 3D features. Visit http://www.us.playstation.com/support/3Dfor details.

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 LHead2 @ 11/02/10 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmrfrosty7
So am I reading this right? If I already own the PS3 version and want 3D I have to wait until January for a patch or have to buy it AGAIN on the 18th? Thanks for the shaft 2K.
PS3 users get the shaft because they're getting an extra feature, but have to either shell out some more money or wait a couple of months? I don't get it.

It's just common-sense marketing. You can't put out a new product and a free upgrade at the same time. That would really reduce profit, and make the whole endeavor a massive loss.

Besides, if you've got enough money to get a 3DTV, you're not getting any sympathy for having to either buy the new version or wait a couple of months.

EDIT: I realize you're saying specifically "PS3 users who already have the game", but still... It's an extra feature, and it wouldn't be financially viable to put out a free patch at the same time as the new version of the game. People who have disposable income and are impatient won't think twice before shelling out $60 to play the game in 3D. This is America, after all.

# 22 YUNGMONEY GAME @ 11/02/10 08:00 PM
3D HD'S ARE REALLY NOT THAT MUCH..... WELL I CAN SAY THAT BECAUSE I LIVE ON BASE; IF YOUR IN THE MILITARY ITS REALLY NOT THAT MUCH FOR US BECAUSE NO TAXES AND THEY SELL AT THE LOWEST PRICE

# 23 newgen1 @ 11/03/10 01:01 PM
I beg to differ osubeavs721. It’s true you need a 3D TV and 3D glasses in order to view 3D but you also need a system to play 3D content. Unless the 3D broadcast is sent to you like they do on cable or satellite, you need some type of device to play the media. If you buy a 3D TV and get the glasses you would still need a new 3D DVD to play your movie 3D movies. Since the PS3 is now 3D capable, NBA 2k11 will be able to utilize this feature. Xbox 360 is not 3D capable and I bet there will not be a game for that system in 3D.

# 24 WTF @ 11/03/10 01:04 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/x...g-partnership/

Think again. Saying the 360 isn't 'capable' isn't quite right. It's possible, it just needs a firmware update.

# 25 newgen1 @ 11/03/10 02:39 PM
WFT you are correct. From the article it looks like the Xbox 360 is capable of 3D but no word on the firmware update or software coming to the US anytime soon.

# 26 tariqosuave @ 11/03/10 03:29 PM
People are already playing black ops in 3d... so ah... xbox and 2k are Bs'ing.

# 27 Glenn33 @ 11/03/10 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqosuave
People are already playing black ops in 3d... so ah... xbox and 2k are Bs'ing.
Exactly. Blacks Ops will be in 3D for both Xbox and PS3 users.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.