Home
FIFA 11 News Post

The FIFA Soccer 11 patch is available now for the PS3 and 360. Please post your impressions here.

Want to know what's in the patch? Click here.

Game: FIFA Soccer 11Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Matt10 @ 11/13/10 07:04 AM
For the last time, EA saying and EA doing are completely different. You guys can throw the "placebo" word any way you want - but there's a difference, enough to make me play 20 straight games. I don't give a hoot if EA "release" details or not. I'd honestly rather they not because 9/10 they don't deliver. So if fixing one of the ratings or whatever else was within the patch, if it helped adjust the teammate AI defensively - then I'm grateful, and before this patch - that was a gamebreaker, now...guess what.

# 42 EZ Snappin @ 11/13/10 08:36 AM
I'm wondering if the change in play are a result of things they patched or changes to the roster. It seems different to me, but I'm wondering if the pressure and runs and the like are tweaks to tendencies and ratings instead of engine tweaks. If that's the case, EA Rom isn't lying.

Did anyone try it post-patch without new rosters? I loaded a saved career and it didn't seem different, but a new career with updated rosters did. Sadly, I didn't think of why it felt different till after I deleted the old career so can't really test it out.

# 43 SpHSpH @ 11/13/10 09:45 AM
Did I miss a squad update? I hooked up to the internet yesterday and, when I launched FIFA11, it did a download event ... but it did not tell me if it was one thing (patch) or two things (squad + patch). Also ... I did many of the stadium renamings in October ... and I think a new squad file would overwrite that ... (and that would make me sad) ... is there a way to know if I got *all* of the internet-related information that was available yesterday?

# 44 ecantona99 @ 11/13/10 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Don't know how some of you guys can see no gameplay changes? What have you been watching the last couple of months? I mean this in offline gameplay only.

Do you guys remember how easy it was for the CPU to have 14-30 shots on you per game on World Class? Remember that was because when they played that perfect through ball/pass into their attacker, it was because your defender stopped and no matter how good his ratings, would be left alone on an island.

The patch, somehow, has made it where your defensive line actually plays as a line. You will get secondary help (without pressing the button as well) and thus the attacks can be squashed a lot easier.

The game by far is not easier on WC. The only thing is "easy" is the tackling, this is and always will be a concern. I've accepted it for what it is, but to ignore the changes to the back line and the way the CPU attack in regards to less "cheating", I'd say that would warrant a 2nd chance.

I hope someone who hasn't patced up can notice the differences. I'm not a fanboy by any means, heck I haven't touched the offline since 2 months ago - so this update got me going again, that's saying something.
At first I was going to say that I saw no difference in the 2 games that I played. But after reading Matt10's post, I have noticed that the CPU gets off less shots on WC which is all I play on. It also seems like you have a "little" more time on the ball but not much more than before. The passing is less predictable too from the CPU. I probably should probably play a few more games to make a definitive decision, but for now it's a small step......

# 45 MrMVP91 @ 11/13/10 09:57 AM
lol how the heck did cpu teams get 14-30 shots vs. you? that has never happened to me and i play every game on legendary (i played with every team from cska moscow to aston villa to liverpool to real madrid - never happened).

yes there were times when defenders would look like their actions are scripted rather than actually having them do what you need them to do, but that still happened to me at times after the patch last night.

# 46 jb12780 @ 11/13/10 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
Did I miss a squad update? I hooked up to the internet yesterday and, when I launched FIFA11, it did a download event ... but it did not tell me if it was one thing (patch) or two things (squad + patch). Also ... I did many of the stadium renamings in October ... and I think a new squad file would overwrite that ... (and that would make me sad) ... is there a way to know if I got *all* of the internet-related information that was available yesterday?
There really is no way to tell if there is a new squad update since EA does not date them.

I will check to see if downloading the new squads wipes out the stadiums. The only league I have done is the EPL, so I dont mind doing them again.

# 47 Matt10 @ 11/13/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMVP91
lol how the heck did cpu teams get 14-30 shots vs. you? that has never happened to me and i play every game on legendary (i played with every team from cska moscow to aston villa to liverpool to real madrid - never happened).

yes there were times when defenders would look like their actions are scripted rather than actually having them do what you need them to do, but that still happened to me at times after the patch last night.
Legendary? Yes, shots were being delivered at will. You should read more posts through all the boards before assuming just because you are better at the sticks, doesn't mean that it's not happening to 80% of everyone. I haven't played more than 5 games on legendary yet post patch. I am working my way back to it so I can adjust from PES feel. Once I'm there, I'll seek guidance and develop a theory on that. For now, I'm playing world class.

I don't see why there is such a debate, it baffles me that others aren't seeing the same improvements. While slight, they are there. Does anyone know how to unpatch? I might make a video so I could put this 'placebo' effect to rest.

# 48 therizing02 @ 11/13/10 01:12 PM
Are there more fouls?

Are Career Mode transfers and progression fixed?

# 49 instantpop @ 11/13/10 03:31 PM
Well, I decided to play a few more games today just to get a better feel if anything has changed. The game does feel different in a few areas. I started an FA Cup Tournament with Chelsea just to get a good variety of opposition and was pleasantly surprised with how varied the play was.

Good Things:
Most notably in my opinion are what seem to be much smarter runs by your teammates, at least if you're playing as a top level team.

You teammate's defensive AI seems to have improved. No more need for the constant switching of players and having to do everything yourself. Far fewer 'dumb' goals.

Pressure has definitely been reduced. They say they haven't changed anything in the engine, but keep saying they've tweaked how we 'see' things, whatever that means. All I know is that on World Class I actually have time on the ball and am finding more space in the middle. It helps make the pitch feel bigger and less like I have to hold down R2 and fly down the wings the whole time. Variety in play is there - from the CPU as well. Which brings me to...

The CPU offensive attack seems to have improved. Still not on par with what PES does in this department, but I can't predict the player paths like I could before. I long for more build-up in CPU play, but it's getting better. It's also dependent on what kind of team you play against. Again, this could be one of those things EA changed how we 'see' since I'm seeing a lot more variety in CPU play than I did pre-patch.

Bad Things
Tackling is still too easy on World Class. I'd say overall in general, but World Class is where I've been playing since the patch.

Fouls are still too few and far between. I've noticed more depending on what referee is working the match. Maybe this is another one of those stats EA changed how we 'see.' Who knows.

Still not enough offensive build up by the CPU. The variety is getting better, but seeing the CPU reset its offense would go a long way. Some of this could be attributed to me playing with Chelsea - as they prefer to absorb the attack and then tackle their way out of it (tactics setting for pressure is at 35).

I guess time will tell if I continue to enjoy the game in its current state. Neither game is perfect this year, but both games have these little nuggets that will keep me coming back to each to enjoy. It is a little sad that it's only early November and I'm already looking forward to improvements for 2012.

# 50 misterbroom12 @ 11/13/10 03:45 PM
I want to be able to sell my f***ing players in career mode!!!!!! Also, does anyone have a problem with outside backs always floating inside to mark strikers that are 5 yards in front of the CBs? I always have to control them and move them to their proper position and it is annoying.

# 51 striper_43 @ 11/13/10 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbroom12
I want to be able to sell my f***ing players in career mode!!!!!! Also, does anyone have a problem with outside backs always floating inside to mark strikers that are 5 yards in front of the CBs? I always have to control them and move them to their proper position and it is annoying.
Yes! Those outside backs always want to go to the middle and mark attackers heading straight towards the centre back.

The strikers on your team always head to the corner even when the wing player is sprinting towards the same spot!

# 52 Dazraz @ 11/14/10 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Legendary? Yes, shots were being delivered at will. You should read more posts through all the boards before assuming just because you are better at the sticks, doesn't mean that it's not happening to 80% of everyone. I haven't played more than 5 games on legendary yet post patch. I am working my way back to it so I can adjust from PES feel. Once I'm there, I'll seek guidance and develop a theory on that. For now, I'm playing world class.

I don't see why there is such a debate, it baffles me that others aren't seeing the same improvements. While slight, they are there. Does anyone know how to unpatch? I might make a video so I could put this 'placebo' effect to rest.
If you are on the PS3 then game updates can be removed from the PS3 main hub. Go to game files & find the relevant file for the FIFA patch & delete it. That simple. When you next load FIFA up it will prompt you to download the latest patch. Just select cancel & you can play the game in it's pre-patch form.

# 53 LucianoJJ @ 11/14/10 11:42 AM
Tackling is still lopsided in favor of the human. I've seen more runs by the CB. I saw a backward pass by the CPU on offense. It's too early to tell.

# 54 Jd_Seven @ 11/14/10 02:27 PM
Does anyone have any issues with player ratings in CM mode?

I play 15 min on all manual legendary. I play with Man U.

Ill score twice with a midfielder and his rating will be a 7.0 max!!!

I never ever get more than an 8 with anyone in the midfield or any forwards. I have gotten decent ratings for backs but never ever anywhere else. It is so annoying.

Even if a striker scores 2 or more goals he never gets man of the match or anything. Ill have a 4-3 thriller of a game and everyone will be around the 6.0 mark-same as even if i win 1-0.

I have tried it on WC but the same thing. Even on 10 min. Is there something I am missing or is this a regular thing for everyone on FIFA 11?

My striker could lead the league in goals but still be rated under 7.0 while other strikers who have half as many sit midway through an 8.

Anybody know how to resolve this, or give some feedback? Thanks

# 55 MrMVP91 @ 11/14/10 05:03 PM
player ratings have been terrible ever since they were put into the fifa series. not only are they horrible for your team, but then when you check around the league, cpu players have all ratings in the 8s and high 7s while you'll be lucky to have 1 player with a 7 rating.

by the way, did they take out the team of the season? i finished a season with real madrid and didn't see any team of the season announcement. weird. what's the point of the player ratings then lol.

# 56 SpHSpH @ 11/14/10 06:26 PM
I wish someone (the FIFA community) could figure out the algorithm that is used to determine the match ratings. Does it have anything to do with total passes? pass completion percentage? positioning? shots on target? goals scored? tackles? not getting called for fouls? etc.

I have also noticed that the CPU players (when playing against me) usually have similar player ratings to my players (between 6.0 and 7.0). It must be that, when the other matches in the league are simmed "behind the scenes", the players all get generally higher player ratings. This always puts my players at a disadvantage - because I never sim any of my games.

The match rating this is sort of important because some of the VP accomplishments are tied to match ratings and man-of-the-match stuff ... and I would like to know more about how this works - so that I can make a better effort at getting those accomplishments for my VP.

# 57 misterbroom12 @ 11/14/10 07:42 PM
I think the ratings are not wrong as much as they don't reflect how a user controls his team properly. If you recall from the first BAP mode a year or two ago (and maybe still now, I haven't played it yet) but a lot of your rating is tied to positioning and marking, successful tackles, dribbles, passes, all of that. So when a user plays and tries to go one on one at a defender in the attacking third, we all know that it isn't a huge deal and has great benefits and not so bad negatives, the game however just sees it as an unsuccessful dribble and the players rating for the game drops. The same goes with defending, if you use your CB to track a ST running to the corner, the game sees you as out of position and lowers your rating. In the grand scheme of things, it is just that there is no situational stat tracking that goes into the rating. For us if a player scores twice and only gave the ball away a handful of times all in the attacking third of the pitch they played a great game but the game takes a giveaway in the attacking third as just as bad as if it is in the defending third right in front of goal. Hard for them to perfect but it has improved since it was first introduced. Also, for VP to get better ratings you almost have to just play to exactly what the game says you should do which is not nearly as fun as doing as you please.

# 58 JRod @ 11/15/10 12:49 AM
The increase the speed on passes. I've been playing with pass assist on, because the passes were so slow you couldn't really do anything but play ping or the long ball.

Tackling seems the same.

Runs seem improved.

I've noticed so little about the CPU that if there's a change it's not really that big of a deal.

# 59 Jd_Seven @ 11/15/10 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHSpH
I wish someone (the FIFA community) could figure out the algorithm that is used to determine the match ratings. Does it have anything to do with total passes? pass completion percentage? positioning? shots on target? goals scored? tackles? not getting called for fouls? etc.

I have also noticed that the CPU players (when playing against me) usually have similar player ratings to my players (between 6.0 and 7.0). It must be that, when the other matches in the league are simmed "behind the scenes", the players all get generally higher player ratings. This always puts my players at a disadvantage - because I never sim any of my games.

The match rating this is sort of important because some of the VP accomplishments are tied to match ratings and man-of-the-match stuff ... and I would like to know more about how this works - so that I can make a better effort at getting those accomplishments for my VP.
I still think the match rating is bugged for the user. I can understand if you have a bad game to get bad ratings, and vice verse. Does match ratings not refelect how a player grows? I mean if a player is constantly getting just average ratings he wouldn't grow as much would he? This is the biggest thing I am worried about. (I don't sim any games during my MM either) If I win 2-0 against a top tier ranked team I want my guys to get high ratings. I have seen a keeper make 10 saves in a game and keep a clean sheet and have a rating of 6.6 or something. Does a keeper need to make 100 saves and score a goal to get a decent rating EA?

I thought maybe it was tied into the time of halves or skill difficulty. Anyone have any idea on how the match ratings actually work?

I have messaged community managers on the EA forums and on Twitter but still no response on this. I know I am not the only one who sees this as an issue.

# 60 natural320 @ 11/15/10 10:16 AM
I just read through the whole thread so far, but nobody confirmed if you need to restart your CM or if you can simply continue. anybody know the answer?

I am playing on pro, all-manual, slow...and I have not noticed any real differences while playing in CM, and I've got several weeks and hours upon hours of building up a Serie B team into a top 5 Serie A team (still no match for Inter or AC though!)...so I was curious if I need to start all over again for the patch to take effect. TIA!

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.