Home
News Post

With Fight Night Champion being the first M-rated game from EA Sports in a long time (see: ever), it seems the ongoing Supreme Court battle about whether to allow a law from California to ban the sale of violent video games to minors is a bit more important to at least some of our visitors now. Here's a primer on what Americans think from Rasmussen:

Quote:
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 54% of Americans believe violent video games lead to more violence in society, a number which has held steady since April. Still, 32% think violent video games have no direct correlation to violence in society, while 14% are not sure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

Sixty-nine percent (69%) of Americans say they are at least somewhat concerned about the level of violence seen in many video games today, including 48% who are Very Concerned. But 29% say they are not concerned about the violence level, with 13% who are Not At All Concerned.

Not surprisingly, older adults are more concerned about violent video games than younger adults. But, interestingly, adults with children at home are less concerned about the violence level than adults without children living with them.

The question really becomes, if the California law is struck down: what effect (if any) would it have on sales and would game developers be more apt to tone down games in order to increase sales? Initially, the answer is none.

Later on if more and more states take up a similar measure, we might see some developers start shying away from M-rated games.

Member Comments
# 1 Dazraz @ 11/13/10 05:09 AM
This argument regarding the influence of violence in videogames on people is currently on the agenda with the release of the new Call of Duty game.

I trust in the age rating system. I do believe that younger children may be negatively influenced by what they see portrayed in a videogame based on the fact that they may be attracted to the glamorisation of warfare
& death. However any normal functioning adult will be able to clearly distinguish between the fantasy of a game & the real world.

There has been a couple of isolated incidents whereby by an act of violence has been attributed to a videogame. What needs to be understood that the people that committed these offences have already got a fundamental problem with how they are thinking. The game in someway becomes the trigger but the impulse was already there. We can't bow down & ban all such games that the majority of people enjoy for what they are. A bit of fun, It's like saying lets lock away all women & that way there will be no more rape.

There are & always will be disturbed members of our society that have the potential to cause harm to others. Sadly they are a ticking time bomb whose impulse can be triggered by all manner of external influences. We cannot change our lifestyles for this minority. All we can hope is that those with a propensity to hurt others are recognised at an early enough stage.

# 2 SouthernBrick @ 11/13/10 03:45 PM
Not going to get into this but, could someone explain to me how EA managed to make a boxing game that is rated M for mature?

Do they have Tyson saying he is going to rape someone and/or calling them his bitch or Floyd with isManny Poochiao or however its spelled comments? I'm not keeping up with the game but, unless there is F bombs flying all over the place I don't see how they could turn this into a M rated game.

# 3 jvalverde88 @ 11/13/10 04:45 PM
It probably has drug references. Add that with blood, violence, and strong language most likely the ERSB will rate it a M.

# 4 Eski33 @ 11/13/10 04:48 PM
@ Southern Brick....I believe it may be due to more realistic blood and something involved with the new career mode...

I support the ESRB and its rating system. The thing that parents don't do well is educate themselves in what they buy their kids. Their kid wants the next best thing, they see the commercials and think it's is okay to buy their youngster COD or any other game that may have a M rating.

However, I do find some of this hypocritical. There is more violence on TV and in movies which is way more graphic that parents will allow their kids to view but for some reason when violence is implemented into a video game it changes things. Not sure if it is because their child is performing the act with a controller or what but it is odd...

# 5 BlackRome @ 11/15/10 09:56 AM
I can name quite a few movies and a few genre's of music that are more responsible for violence in this country than video games.

# 6 Gordy748 @ 11/15/10 12:23 PM
Lies, damned lies and statistics. A carefully worded poll run by Harris Interactive found that 24% of Americans think Obama could be the anti-Christ. Well, he certainly could be. But chances are he isn't.

Equally the concerns about violence in gaming. This old chestnut has been going around the houses for years now. It replaced rock 'n' roll from the 60s and 70s, which replaced prohibition, etc, so on and so forth. Australians call the people concerned about these things wowsers, the definition of which is "an ineffably pious person who mistakes this world for a penitentiary and himself for a warden".

Being concerned about something you know nothing about is natural,. Sadly, so is the desire to act based on ignorance.

# 7 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/15/10 03:07 PM
The good news is, the Supreme Court was not being stifled. And they sure do their homework.

They were not budging for the hypocrisy, and silly restrictions it will put on the industry. Or the effect on Constitutional Rights.

Hats off to them.

http://kotaku.com/5679655/highlights...ideo-game-case

And everyone knows 90% of the people that take "telephone" surveys are that of the 60+ crowd. So obviously they are skewed. The poll is far from scientific.

# 8 The GIGGAS @ 11/15/10 03:30 PM
I actually just read that whole thing (didn't the day it came out, wasn't nearly as interested in it as I should have).

Sounds like an entertaining session, to say the least.

# 9 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/15/10 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
I actually just read that whole thing (didn't the day it came out, wasn't nearly as interested in it as I should have).

Sounds like an entertaining session, to say the least.
Yeah, I was just going to ignore it myself, and see it as just some wasted fluff.

But the justices did their homework, and were very hard on the hypocrisy of California. I am impressed. Our Chiefs' do not mess around.

# 10 King10Sooted @ 11/15/10 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy748
Lies, damned lies and statistics. A carefully worded poll run by Harris Interactive found that 24% of Americans think Obama could be the anti-Christ. Well, he certainly could be. But chances are he isn't.
Id say there is only a 76% chance he isn't. According to polls atleast.

Either way, I have always been against any type of govt regulation. It is a parents job to teach their children right from wrong. Stop worry about a game, start worrying about all the children that come from a ****ed up home. I bet the world would be a better place.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.