Home
Blur News Post

A variety of outlets (Joystiq, Kotaku, NeoGaf, GiantBomb, VG247) are reporting that the studio responsible for games such as Blur, Project Gotham Racing and Geometry Wars has been put on notice by Activision, and it could be closed or sold off.

Quote:
From Activision: "Over the past three years since our purchase of Bizarre Creations, the fundamentals of the racing genre have changed significantly. Although we made a substantial investment in creating a new IP, Blur, it did not find a commercial audience. Bizarre is a very talented team of developers, however, because of the broader economic factors impacting the market, we are exploring our options regarding the future of the studio, including a potential sale of the business."
This is a reminder to anyone who works in the video game business that taking risks means you are putting it all on the line. As we saw with the Elite fiasco at EA, no one is immune to being let go for commercial disasters.

With corporate margins being squeezed across the board in the video game world, I have no doubts that we might be seeing an era of conservative thinking really start to take hold in development houses. Events like this have major ripple effects across the industry, from talent moving around to the more psychological effects of seeing a seemingly successful development house dumped after one major flop.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone looks to buy Bizarre, but most likely any suitors have already been contacted and the likely destination is closure of the studio. We'll keep our eyes open for any further events.

Game: BlurHype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
Blur Videos
Member Comments
# 1 addybojangles @ 11/16/10 03:17 PM
Bummer, Blur was horrendously underrated as a racing game.

# 2 The GIGGAS @ 11/16/10 03:19 PM
Wow, from making the great PGR series to being shuttered. Although, I have seen rumors they might get sold as well.

I'd like to see them come back to PGR. Man, I loved that game.

# 3 Flawless @ 11/16/10 04:38 PM
Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
I'd like to see them come back to PGR. Man, I loved that game.
Microsoft is apparently looking for a developer to bring it back

If they haven't decided yet, maybe they help with the start up for a new studio and give them the PGR license (similar to Ruffian and Crackdown).

# 4 jyoung @ 11/16/10 06:38 PM
All their games all quality.

Sad to see them go under.

# 5 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/17/10 01:17 AM
It is sad, especially when these big business publishers, buy developers that had a cult following, then shut them down.

Reminds me sort of like EA and Westwood.

# 6 Behindshadows @ 11/17/10 02:07 AM
I personally thought Blur was a poop magnet, but I really loved the PGR series every since it was Metropolis Street Racer on Dreamcast.

To not really have a PGR 5 is going to suck, one of the best driving and visual games to date, adding motorcycles to PGR 4 was great thing, I think I might go out and buy all of them over just for collectors purposes. It's a sad day in the gaming industry.

# 7 bigfnjoe96 @ 11/17/10 09:22 AM
Wake-up Take-2. Here's your chance to get into the racing genre...

# 8 BrownsFan72 @ 11/17/10 09:29 AM
Hate to hear this.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.