Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

One more nugget from the Cowen and Company piece is that Madden sales are in fact down 18% year over year for the month of October:

Quote:
"Even with disappointments for NHL 11 and Medal of Honor, EA's software sales grew 17 percent year over year in October. EA Sports MMA sold 45,000 units, and the Madden NFL franchise is down 18 percent year over year."

If you recall, I predicted in a blog post back in late August ('Are Madden Sales Slipping?') that Madden sales would probably end up down even after initial reports showed the game's sales were up 12% back in August. But an 18% drop was far more than I ever expected, that's nearly a 1/5 cut in top-line revenue from one of EA's biggest franchises on a Y-o-Y basis. If the trend continues, Madden sales could end up down substantially with the all-important Winter Shopping Season approaching.

That's incredibly bad news.

There is a lot of speculation as to why sales have slowed so much so fast, but I believe the reasons are the same now as I initially thought back then: consumers aren't impressed with the direction of the Madden series with so many other options for them to partake in. The longevity of the game is definitely in question and the word of mouth factor seems to be non-existent this year.

This is easily a referendum on the direction of the direction of the series, especially if trends continue to hold through December. I initially thought there wouldn't be much panic from the suits at EA, but this was before the Elite Fiasco hit the world, so now you can never be too careful when trying to prognosticate what EA might do next.

No doubt the decision makers at EA know exactly about the slip in sales of the Madden franchise, which are slowing substantially moreso than previous years after being on store shelves. So whatever panic decisions/reshuffling you would expect have probably already been made in some regards, although some may not be made until the Christmas shopping season is over. There is definitely increasing pressure on the Madden team to perform, and if sales do come in flat to somewhat down there could be some changes to the gameplan going forward.

This is definitely not good news for gamers who have liked the direction of Madden for the past couple of years if this trend holds into the Christmas shopping season. Also just as alarming is Madden's shrinking sales to the hardcore gamers on the top platforms, with sales down between 30% and 40% depending on how you calculate game sales and from whom from it's high in the middle of the last decade.

This is an interesting story we'll continue to follow. In the meantime, do you think we'll see some big changes in the direction for Madden NFL 12?

[ Update ] It's not clear whether Cowen and Company's analyst was commenting on the entire sales volume from Aug-Oct or just in the Month of October. Either way, that would only slightly give the news a bit less negativity for EA -- but it'd still be very negative news. We'll keep on this story.

[ Update #2 ] After analyzing the data and receiving word from a few trusted analysts this is definitely a Monthly drop from last October of 18%. This means after Madden sales started out on a rush, they have plummeted as the product has stayed on store shelves. The real test will be the Christmas shopping season. Roughly 30% of Madden's sales come from Christmas-time sales. If sales are still down substantially in November and then December, things could get ugly for EA. As it is right now though, this is a sharp drop worth watching. Edited the original article to reflect these clarifications.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 261 Only1LT @ 12/22/10 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Seems like common sense to me.

Gas prices have risen 46 cents since last December. I'm still filling the tank, so, it hasn't affected us, yet, but not everyone is in the same boat, either.

Off topic, for a bit. I've seen over 50 resumes over a 4 day period this week. 50% of the people haven't had a job since 2009, 85% since 2010.

I agree, it's a factor, definitely, but it's not the only factor.

Wow, that's terrible.

I work as an IT recruiter, and people are making money hand over fist, and the jobs just keep rolling in.

It's hard to remember sometimes that other sectors aren't doing nearly as well.

# 262 Keenan G. @ 12/22/10 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Wow, that's terrible.

I work as an IT recruiter, and people are making money hand over fist, and the jobs just keep rolling in.

I work in the oil and natural gas industry here in Texas. People are getting hired left and right. So like you said it varies by sector.

Back on topic. I am not surprised that Madden sales are down. I bought M11 in hopes that they worked on the gameplay, but they didnt. I wont be buying M12 unless changes are made. Oh well. I still have NBA2k11.

# 263 DScott93 @ 12/23/10 09:35 PM
Maybe this would be a good time to bring Head Coach back. It was about as real as a management could get only a few computer faults etc. but overall a great game and took alot of scouting, strategy.

# 264 kjcheezhead @ 12/24/10 01:23 PM
I have a feeling the holiday season will put Madden back to last year's numbers or better just like last year. I have relatives coming over whose kids really like madden 11. I went to pick it up for the ps3 used this past week and couldn't find a copy at all, new or used...in 3 different gamestops.

Big change from when I traded my copy in September and there were dozens of used copies on the shelf.

# 265 Primerica @ 12/27/10 01:42 AM
Quote:
Wow, that's terrible.

If you don't mind, what's specifically?

# 266 roadman @ 12/27/10 10:34 AM
Quote:
Wow, that's terrible.

Happy Holidays LT!

I would classify it as sectors and regions. I know an IT Recruiter and other recruiters in this area that have taken it on the chin in the last few years.

I just think it depends on the area and vocation you are in. Just last night, one of my son's friends father knows what I do. He's a diesel mechanic, but doing landscaping right now in the middle of winter and he said, it's barely covering the bills. I know for a fact he goes the used game route for his children.

Same country, different economies where it could affect your families purchasing power.

# 267 ryan36 @ 12/27/10 10:35 AM
Roadman takes it above his chin

# 268 roadman @ 12/27/10 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Roadman takes it above his chin
Many comedians unemployed and you have to be funny.

Hey, at least it's not below the belt, where you take yours. ho ho ho

# 269 ryan36 @ 12/27/10 11:52 AM
...you win

# 270 roadman @ 12/27/10 12:03 PM
Quote:
...you win
Sorry, couldn't hold back on that once you opened the door.

# 271 ryan36 @ 12/27/10 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Sorry, couldn't hold back on that once you opened the door.
Roadman's gone subtle!

# 272 roadman @ 12/27/10 03:31 PM
Quote:
Roadman's gone subtle!
haha, we are now even.

(should have used window instead of door)

# 273 Joshua1207 @ 12/27/10 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts
EA, sim gamers equal success. Year in and year out. Casual gamers will only play you one year and move on. Anybody still playing Mario Party 79098? Didn't think so.

Do as we say and you'll get the money. Just ask Mike Wang.
I still play Mario Party :|

# 274 Other Guy @ 12/28/10 01:33 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying that the economy doesn't play a factor. It plays a factor in everything we do.

I will say one thing though. The economy factor goes right out the window for anyone who bought even one game since Madden has been released. If you had $60 to spend on a game, and you bought one besides Madden, then that isn't the economy affecting Madden's sales. That's Madden affecting Madden's sales.

The economy argument only works, potentially, for those that have not bought a single game since Madden has been available. And even then, I'm sure that some number of those people would not have bought it even if they had the money.

The economy is thrown out there in defense of Madden a lot, and again, it is a factor, but it is a factor for every game, and every purchase in general, as well. If you are still making luxury purchases, especially if it is a game purchase, other than Madden, then that is NOT the economy.

Absolutely nailed it! I can't get behind the economy argument because the sales drop (from what I can tell) is specific to Madden. If the economy was putting that much strain on people, it would hit the entire video game market. If so, this thread title would probably read, "All video game sales down 18%".

# 275 Only1LT @ 12/28/10 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primerica
If you don't mind, what's specifically?

Not sure what you are asking.

# 276 Only1LT @ 12/28/10 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Absolutely nailed it! I can't get behind the economy argument because the sales drop (from what I can tell) is specific to Madden. If the economy was putting that much strain on people, it would hit the entire video game market. If so, this thread title would probably read, "All video game sales down 18%".

Video game sales are down overall. A lot of that has to do with the fact that the video game industry was growing in **** proportions year over year, and that could not continue into perpetuity, but the economy plays a role in that as well. Pro and con.

The video game industry has benefited some by the economy because it is a relatively cheap form of entertainment when you consider how many hours you get out of it. With Movies in the $10 to $20 per person range or higher in some places for 90 mins or so of entertainment, spending $60 for a game that can give you 6hrs, on the low end, to years of enjoyment on the high end, isn't such a bad proposition.

In any event, even with the gaming industry, overall, seeing some down sales numbers, there are specific titles that have flourished in the same economic downturn. Just goes to show, that recession or no recession, "If you build it, they will come."

This is Madden's biggest hurdle to garnering more sales. The recession is a hurdle to be sure, but definitely not the biggest one.

# 277 ryan36 @ 12/28/10 03:11 PM
I think there are a lot of gamers who if they could only buy one game per year, Madden would be it- if it was good enough to be the best game released that year.

THAT should be their goal

# 278 Vikes1 @ 01/12/11 04:11 AM
Quote:
I think there are a lot of gamers who if they could only buy one game per year, Madden would be it- if it was good enough to be the best game released that year.

THAT should be their goal
Very well said Ryan.

If Madden's game play was simply the best in the sports video game market, and it's franchise mode was as deep and correct as they come....I'd happily spent nearly all my gaming time with this one sports game.

As an older gamer...I just don't have the time to spent playing several games. So I can't really justify spending hundreds of dollars on multiple games each year. Give me one outstanding football simulation game...and that's where I'd spend all my gaming time.

And I completely agree with you Ryan. With Madden's sales position in the sports gaming market...there really shouldn't be a sports game to rival it. Imo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.