Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

One more nugget from the Cowen and Company piece is that Madden sales are in fact down 18% year over year for the month of October:

Quote:
"Even with disappointments for NHL 11 and Medal of Honor, EA's software sales grew 17 percent year over year in October. EA Sports MMA sold 45,000 units, and the Madden NFL franchise is down 18 percent year over year."

If you recall, I predicted in a blog post back in late August ('Are Madden Sales Slipping?') that Madden sales would probably end up down even after initial reports showed the game's sales were up 12% back in August. But an 18% drop was far more than I ever expected, that's nearly a 1/5 cut in top-line revenue from one of EA's biggest franchises on a Y-o-Y basis. If the trend continues, Madden sales could end up down substantially with the all-important Winter Shopping Season approaching.

That's incredibly bad news.

There is a lot of speculation as to why sales have slowed so much so fast, but I believe the reasons are the same now as I initially thought back then: consumers aren't impressed with the direction of the Madden series with so many other options for them to partake in. The longevity of the game is definitely in question and the word of mouth factor seems to be non-existent this year.

This is easily a referendum on the direction of the direction of the series, especially if trends continue to hold through December. I initially thought there wouldn't be much panic from the suits at EA, but this was before the Elite Fiasco hit the world, so now you can never be too careful when trying to prognosticate what EA might do next.

No doubt the decision makers at EA know exactly about the slip in sales of the Madden franchise, which are slowing substantially moreso than previous years after being on store shelves. So whatever panic decisions/reshuffling you would expect have probably already been made in some regards, although some may not be made until the Christmas shopping season is over. There is definitely increasing pressure on the Madden team to perform, and if sales do come in flat to somewhat down there could be some changes to the gameplan going forward.

This is definitely not good news for gamers who have liked the direction of Madden for the past couple of years if this trend holds into the Christmas shopping season. Also just as alarming is Madden's shrinking sales to the hardcore gamers on the top platforms, with sales down between 30% and 40% depending on how you calculate game sales and from whom from it's high in the middle of the last decade.

This is an interesting story we'll continue to follow. In the meantime, do you think we'll see some big changes in the direction for Madden NFL 12?

[ Update ] It's not clear whether Cowen and Company's analyst was commenting on the entire sales volume from Aug-Oct or just in the Month of October. Either way, that would only slightly give the news a bit less negativity for EA -- but it'd still be very negative news. We'll keep on this story.

[ Update #2 ] After analyzing the data and receiving word from a few trusted analysts this is definitely a Monthly drop from last October of 18%. This means after Madden sales started out on a rush, they have plummeted as the product has stayed on store shelves. The real test will be the Christmas shopping season. Roughly 30% of Madden's sales come from Christmas-time sales. If sales are still down substantially in November and then December, things could get ugly for EA. As it is right now though, this is a sharp drop worth watching. Edited the original article to reflect these clarifications.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 bears5122 @ 11/20/10 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
sales are down simply because of a number of other high profile releases, and a struggling economy.
IMO year over year stats are misleading, because the marketplace was different a year ago.
People are buying less. and most peopel will buy the newer releases first.
A dip like this happens across the board. very few games hold steady.
Not really. NBA 2K11 is on pace to double last year's sales. FIFA has seen an increase in their sales this year as well.

The economy can play a role, but not by this much. Especially when other sports are seeing increases in their sales. Fact is that if you make a good game people will buy it. Madden is just not a good game.

The company desperately needs to do to this series what it did to their NHL series.

# 162 tweed420 @ 11/20/10 03:45 PM
i wish they would let 2k make football again.

# 163 PVarck31 @ 11/20/10 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed420
i wish they would let 2k make football again.
I know this is how many feel. But there is no reason to keep bringing it up. Its not gonna happen until at least 2012. Right now we need to make our voice heard. In the most respectful way of course. If we keep pushing for them to listen to us, make them have no other choice but to listen to us, we can change this thing.

# 164 DaveDQ @ 11/20/10 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan21
That is verbatim what happen to me when I went to the mall in 99. Babbage's had a display on with Carolina playing Tampa Bay and it was in the rain. Every step the players took made puddles. I stood there forever and was in awe of that game. Needless to say I bought a Dreamcast and the game. Still waiting for that feeling from Madden.
What's so disheartening is football gaming (NFL in particular) is so big for sports gaming. It just shouldn't be like this, where we are in such a stale state right now. We are going to go a full generation of consoles with a blah taste for NFL football and that's really a shame.

# 165 delspf @ 11/20/10 08:03 PM
They havent got a dime out of me for a few years now.
Same stale product for too long, its about time sales dropped.

Franchise failure + sim engine bugs year in year out = no $$ from me...also stopping production on the PC? ha

# 166 reddogmaddogbul @ 11/20/10 08:15 PM
Madden is a complete failure.Ea I hope you guys are listening.I didnt buy the game this year and I tell everyone I game with about yall shady business practices,The things you guys are doing will start to spread like wild fire,and by that time it will be too late to win back broken trust.

# 167 jmurphy31 @ 11/20/10 09:00 PM
The way I look at this is simple. Make the game realistic and geared toward the Sim Crowd. Add the bells and whistles (presentation, sportscenter highlights, etc) to increase re-playability... If the Sim crowd likes it, word of mouth will spread that Madden is good and more people will buy it. For example, I don't ever buy shooting games, but a few of my friends who play them a lot recommend one or two a year to me and I end up buying at least one.

Also, I have said this before in another post. It is MUCH cheaper, thus more profitable, to retain current customers than attract new ones. If EA maintained their customers from 2005 and kept catering to them, I belioeve thre sales would have easily increased due to the drop of 2k series. Think about it...You keep your entire market and imprive on a game they enjoy and I am positive you will attract most of the 2k crowd just based on the NFL License alone..

# 168 Tyrant8RDFL @ 11/21/10 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
They need to look at the Show and NBA 2k11...those titles are moving. They're sim. If they go arcade, they won't help things. I hope they realize this.

Besides, I thought Peter Moore was gonna "monetize" us by now? With this and NBA elite, and NHL 11 being disappointing...and NCAA being never enough to drive the sports division- is the board of directors gonna make a move? I think at some point, a change higher than Phil Frazier is coming.
defintely 2 solid titles to look at and learn from, but they do look at those titles and even play. They still don't grasp it completely.

I have said this NUMEROUS times. The engine they use is very glitchy , and is not to friendly. It makes it very tough for them to nail a all around solid football game.

EA change the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Agreed.

I can see why EA tries to take this approach with Madden, and while the game has improved, it doesn't have a unified focus and it shows in the final product.

I've grown tired of comparing Madden to other sports games, but it seems games like NBA2K have a singular focus: to be the most authentic NBA game down to the very fine details. That includes gameplay, presentation, atmosphere, everything.

Madden tries to be everything to everybody, and while I see what they're attempting to do, no one is completely satisfied. It doesn't work.
I agree Madden has improved, but not enough to bring out that inner addiction in us to continue playing the game for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
I know this is how many feel. But there is no reason to keep bringing it up. Its not gonna happen until at least 2012. Right now we need to make our voice heard. In the most respectful way of course. If we keep pushing for them to listen to us, make them have no other choice but to listen to us, we can change this thing.
Honestly what your asking has been done for years, and still they don't truly listen.

They came to this forum two years ago. Got a huge wish list. A great list, and had us all hyped up on what was going to be in the game, and how it was greatly improved. How they listened to us, and thanked everyone for being involved.

Then the game came out, and it was a HUGE disappointment. They do not listen, and if they really did. They would not be in this situation.

I agree 2k needs to make a football game again. Hopefully in 2012 this can be a reality.

# 169 DaveDQ @ 11/21/10 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I don't take any pleasure in Madden decline in quality of sales. The blame has to be shared with the NFL and their quasi-monopolistic practices. I also blame T2 for not putting out a complete, customizable football game. There is enough blame to go around.

My fear is sport gaming we knew it, is gone. Less titles equal less quality titles over the long run. My hope is next generation PSN/XBOX Live will pick up the slack with smaller developers will produce quality sport games.

Madden developers just put out a podcast. I can't even listen to the podcast. As a customer I am tired of the same excuses and broken promises. I have been a member at OS for over 10 years and that song and dance is just too old.
I agree with this. I feel the same about how ridiculous it is with DirectTV and the NFL as I do with EA and the NFL. Then they patronize me with the Redzone offer. The NFL could follow what the MLB is doing with MLB.tv..but no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Maybe I am dead wrong but I also don't buy the "economy sucks" excuse. Real gamers are going to find a way to put together $65 bones to buy a game they love. Madden just isn't on that level anymore. I'm not saying that the economy is irrelevant when looking at Madden sales, but I think it's very minimal. Look at other titles such as 2K11 and The Show, or Black Ops. No economy argument there.
You're right. Blaming the economy just doesn't cut it. Why did Madden sell so well out of the gate? That was just a few months ago. Right now games like COD and NBA 2K have a very strong reputation and that is a huge catapult when purchase time comes along. Like you said, real gamers are going to find ways to purchase what they truly want. Heck, look at the success Kinect is having. Consumers pay for what they want, and the EA team would look like fools standing before their superiors blaming the economy. Consumers simply don't have the motivation to go get Madden.

This is where things can become even more frustrating. Given EA's history with this title, what will be there philosophy to garner sales for next year? Are they going to say, "Well, we better start putting together a more sim experience so we can sell more copies..." or will they reach in their pocket and pull out the latest gizmo?

# 170 tabulaRasa @ 11/21/10 05:57 PM
Exclusive deals hurt games. Backbreaker wasnt an Awesome game as à nfl game . But it was fresh and has great promise . Madden is stale. And 2 k always felt more immersive.

# 171 aTTckr @ 11/21/10 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvoodoo
Agreed. Imo the biggest problem with the current devs is that they really aren't football fans or sport games fans at all. The devs talking about 2k11 and how they don't like it because they lose sometimes and how complicated it is. That was the point where I lost all of my remaining trust in the leading devs. Just sad.

# 172 TDKing @ 11/22/10 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Madden developers just put out a podcast. I can't even listen to the podcast. As a customer I am tired of the same excuses and broken promises. I have been a member at OS for over 10 years and that song and dance is just too old.
Yep, exactly how I feel... tired of the half truths, and half azzed modes! Added modes that no one really wanted and pretending they are listening to the community(imo). I'm glad sales are down because it makes me feel that my boycott of the game actually mattered. Are they really going to listen now? We'll see, but I got through my NFL gaming withdraws so the next boycott will be even easier.

# 173 pietasterp @ 11/22/10 03:40 PM
Isn't it sad that we have basically gone an entire gaming generation/lifecycle without a truly awesome NFL game? I mean, even if you are a Madden fan and want to say some of the games this gen have been decent or good, I don't think anyone can honestly say any of the games have been mind-blowing.

This will be the first generation where the football games have gotten worse, rather than better. I mean, it went from 10-yard fight --> Tecmo --> Madden (genesis) --> Madden (PS2)/NFL2k (Dreamcast) --> NFL2k5 ---> flatline. If I could add in a chart (for you Powerpoint addicts), it would be a steady line going up from left-to-right before a sudden sharp downturn this gen.

Think back 5 years ago; is this where we thought football games would be right now? I sure thought they'd be light-years beyond where they are right now. Look at how much better hockey, basketball, and soccer have gotten from last gen to this current gen. Then look at football....just makes me shake my head. What a waste. This has been a completely lost generation for football games.

# 174 ryan36 @ 11/22/10 07:10 PM
Guys, let's not turn this into a "they don't have the talent" and they're going half-assed discussion.

I didn't keep m11 either, but lets talk about the game, not the devs.

One thing I have no doubt over is that the devs on this title work their asses off

# 175 SouthernBrick @ 11/22/10 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
I am dead right but I also don't buy the "economy sucks" excuse. Real gamers are going to find a way to put together $65 bones to buy a game they love. Madden just isn't on that level anymore. I'm not saying that the economy is irrelevant when looking at Madden sales, but I think it's very minimal. Look at other titles such as 2K11 and The Show, or Black Ops. No economy argument there.
Fixed.

I approve this message.

# 176 JAYMO76 @ 11/22/10 11:27 PM
I didn't buy Madden 11, though I was given a free copy of the game. I would NOT have purchased it had I not been given a copy. The reality is that I did greatly enjoy Madden 10 but Madden 11 to me just seemed to be a colossal letdown. Though I appreciate the intent of gameplanning, I am just amazed how there was ZERO focus played to franchise mode. I only play franchise mode offline 100% of the time. It was a slap in the face to me as a consumer that franchise mode was untouched. I want to buy 12 but at this point I really don't know if I am finished with madden altogether or not. I want to get lost in my football gaming experience but currently Madden doesn't (can't?) offer me that.

# 177 OrangeCrush @ 11/23/10 04:00 AM
Madden needs competition, period. Until 2K or any other company can make NFL games, I won't expect much from Madden. I love NBA 2K11 to death but I would NEVER want 2K to buy the exclusive NBA license. Exclusive sports licenses are terrible. I'll be back in to football games if the NFL ends exclusivity in their video games.

# 178 Vikes1 @ 11/23/10 04:25 AM
I haven't bought Madden in two years...breaking a long streak of passed purchases. I borrowed my sons copies of M10/11 long enough to realize they just weren't for me.

As many others have mentioned, Madden is just simply boring...and very much lacks the polish and depth of other sports games of this gen. And imo, the overall game play just fails to provide a rewarding gaming experience.

I'd gotten to the point were I couldn't force myself to play even through one franchise season....due to a complete feeling of disconnect and boredom. I'm pretty much in agreement with those that have said a complete tear down and rebuilt is about the only thing that'll bring me back.

# 179 mWolfe @ 11/23/10 04:48 AM
I have seen all the excuses EA is making why sales are down and dismiss all of them, reason why, cause when they came out sand flat out said that franchise mode was not being touched this year you told your loyal fan base that they are not the prime concern but getting new people in is. Just by not doing any thing to the franchise mode was enough to turn away 10-30% of their buisness, because hardcore fans will not pay $65 for a roster update and some new bells and whistles.

EA needs to do what 2k has done this year and target its hardcore gamers if they want to increase sales. I believe the reason why they targeted casual gamers is because last year it wasnt Madden that brought in the revenue but Fifa 10 which out sold Madden. Fifa beat out its competition PES, which won over some of their fans. That being said without any competition pushing Madden to stride to be a better football game than its competitor I feel a couple more years of small leaps to come until someone comes knocking their door saying sorry but i think we are taking your hardcore fans now, to finally get some real action out of Madden.

# 180 kiddlex @ 11/23/10 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I haven't bought Madden in two years...breaking a long streak of passed purchases. I borrowed my sons copies of M10/11 long enough to realize they just weren't for me.

As many others have mentioned, Madden is just simply boring...and very much lacks the polish and depth of other sports games of this gen. And imo, the overall game play just fails to provide a rewarding gaming experience.

I'd gotten to the point were I couldn't force myself to play even through one franchise season....due to a complete feeling of disconnect and boredom. I'm pretty much in agreement with those that have said a complete tear down and rebuilt is about the only thing that'll bring me back.
Well said!! My sentiment exactly. I used to play thru multiple seasons and I too have reached this stage the last 5 years. Simply dissapointing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.