Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Check out the second Madden NFL designers podcast.
  • Animations and defense (zone) is going to be worked on extensively
  • Discussion on real time physics, it's a long term goal and is the future
  • Triumphs and failures, over the years (discussion)
  • Donny talks about speed rating domination
  • One of the top priorities is DEFENSE, as well as value
  • Metrics - Play Now, Online Play Now, Offline Franchise are the most played modes, the rest are tied well below.
  • Bowling pin tackle discussion.
  • Penalties... PI and defensive holding discussion.
  • Slowing down the CPU snap discussion
  • Next podcast to showcase Franchise mode
Quote:
"Madden Creative Director Ian Cummings this week sets down with Donny Moore and Larry Richart of the Madden design team to talk about a few things; This Week's Roster Update, Game Play Guru Larry Richart, Real Time Physics Discussion, NBA Elite to Tiburon Chat, Twitter Questions, and the already famous Hateful Tweet of the week."

Listen to the podcast, right here.

According to Ian Cummings, it is already available on iTunes.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 KANE699 @ 11/19/10 09:47 PM
Hah I got a shout out, nice.

# 22 roadman @ 11/19/10 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I did, and Ian asked Larry if "bowling pin tackles" were going to be addressed and he simply said yes. Ian than followed up with " We will make an attempt to fix that." They literally spent less than fifteen seconds addressing the question. Look at how much time they spent on answering the question regarding pass interference and the challenges associated with it.

I don't know about you, but I'm well beyond the " well, it's better than nothing" stage. It's time they addressed the problem fully; it's been a problem for years. It's as much, or more, of a problem as anything in Madden.
Would you rather them not address it?

I don't think you can equate time spent on a question vs how much time they will spend addressing the issue in the game. And I agree it's been much of issue or problem for years, but at least they didn't sweep it under the carpet and ignore the question, either, like they have been for years.

# 23 Palo20 @ 11/19/10 10:44 PM
In response to Ian and Co. about the hot routes at the line of scrimmage and how it's not realistic, I think it's necesary in Madden because of the lack of playbook options on both sides of the ball.

Obviously in real life the QB is not just making up routes on the fly, but in the game, we may want to run a certain play that can't be found in the playbook. On defense, the plays are extremely generic, particularly DLine pass rush assignments (Every team in Madden and NCAA runs the same exact Cover 2 Line Stunt), so we have no choice but to make a bunch of hot routes just to make the play work the way we want.

To cut down on the hot routing, give us better playbook options:

--Create a play/playbook
--Custom Playbooks
--Real Life Hot Routes where one WR is designated to read the blitz
--Overhaul the defensive playbooks with more options and lets us choose from a variety of pre-snap looks
--And finally, on offense, let us call plays similarly to how it is done in real life. If I want to run a toss play, I shouldn't have to search all of the formations to find it. It should be available in every formation. Let us choose a particular play, then give us a list of all formations that it from which it CAN be run. This would add huge variety to the game.

# 24 Palo20 @ 11/19/10 11:05 PM
Quote:
To me, they really didn't address it. I understand that they don't want to give out too much info, but the purpose of these podcasts is to enlighten the community so to speak. "Yes, we will attempt to fix that" just isn't enough for me. It was like they didn't even want to talk about it. They answered the question in less than fifteen seconds and than moved right on to the next question. That doesn't sound to promising to me.
Obviously they have to stay pretty generic in these podcasts. They don't release info about Madden 12 until the SuperBowl and the real info isn't released until March or April.

Saying "we're focusing on defense" is about what we should expect.

# 25 roadman @ 11/19/10 11:29 PM
Quote:
To me, they really didn't address it. I understand that they don't want to give out too much info, but the purpose of these podcasts is to enlighten the community so to speak. "Yes, we will attempt to fix that" just isn't enough for me. It was like they didn't even want to talk about it. They answered the question in less than fifteen seconds and than moved right on to the next question. That doesn't sound to promising to me.
I understand it wasn't enough for you, but as Palo above stated, they are just giving out nuggets of into on these podcast until the SB. Madden 11 is still in the sell mode from now until the Xmas holiday.

You can't take too much out of these early season podcast. It's way too early to feel one way or the other from these podcast in November.

# 26 khaliib @ 11/20/10 01:42 AM
Man, you guys do this every year!!!

You complain about the past game, only to buy the next release, only to note your dislike again.

Would it be better if OS submitted a poll to Ian (Dev's) consisting of what the community would like to hear if these podcast are going to be done.

True they don't have to do this, but they are trying to market the game early with everything that is going on at EA.

It's all good, but I'll wait to see what you guys say about the final product.

# 27 permanent1 @ 11/20/10 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Man, you guys do this every year!!!

You complain about the past game, only to buy the next release, only to note your dislike again.
18% disagree with you.

# 28 PVarck31 @ 11/20/10 05:09 AM
At least they are making defense a priority. Last time they did that we got one of the best football games ever.

I hope they work extensively on the tackling. They also need to add a TON of animations.

# 29 Cnada @ 11/20/10 06:13 AM
Very Fortunate to have a question answered on the Podcast was very nice and thank Ian and his Head Coach Josh-Moore

I will certainly keep my questions coming and hopefully get my name out there, i love madden as much as kane and the others. Hopefully people will know me as the franchise guy

----Podcast 3 Question -----

What are the plans with the "Madden" name. Love the man and his game but how long will the coaches name be able to stay on the cover before research shows X Y Z?

I think a Mode should be named after him to keep his name with the title for many generations to come

# 30 DarkOmnios @ 11/20/10 09:40 AM
One question

this podscast with this improvments (exemple real time physic) that the Madden team are talking about its to Madden 11 or to future Madden??

# 31 Palo20 @ 11/20/10 10:08 AM
My questions for the next podcast:

Why can't we edit ratings in franchise mode? I like to keep up with Donny Moore's updates throughout the season and I'd like the option to make the same changes in my own franchise.

Andy one more question that a lot of people have been wondering about:

Why is the LE more effective than the RE in Madden? Some of the community day guys hinted that the dev team is aware of this issue, I'm just wondering what causes it.

# 32 jfsolo @ 11/20/10 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOmnios
One question

this podscast with this improvments (exemple real time physic) that the Madden team are talking about its to Madden 11 or to future Madden??
Future Maddens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
My questions for the next podcast:

Why can't we edit ratings in franchise mode? I like to keep up with Donny Moore's updates throughout the season and I'd like the option to make the same changes in my own franchise.

Andy one more question that a lot of people have been wondering about:

Why is the LE more effective than the RE in Madden? Some of the community day guys hinted that the dev team is aware of this issue, I'm just wondering what causes it.
I would say that its for multiple reasons. The CPU QB almost always moves to the right to buy time or try to escape. Also, when a back stays in to block, it seems like most of the time the default first read is to the left side of the offensive line when the RE is coming from. So he gets chipped a whole lot more then the LE.

# 33 Senator Palmer @ 11/20/10 11:51 AM
Did I hear them say that Franchise mode was the top game mode that has gotten the most play since the game came out -- off of the obvious "play now mode"???? Thought it didn't get enough play from Madden 10 to warrant a big focus for Madden 11 development? Now it's getting a lot of run after barely being touched?

Go figure.

Good podcast. My inner optimist is starting to churn.

# 34 jfsolo @ 11/20/10 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Did I hear them say that Franchise mode was the top game mode that has gotten the most play since the game came out -- off of the obvious "play now mode"???? Thought it didn't get enough play from Madden 10 to warrant a big focus for Madden 11 development? Now it's getting a lot of run after barely being touched?

Go figure.

Good podcast. My inner optimist is starting to churn.
When they mentioned Franchise mode not getting enough play in Madden 10 they only mentioned Online Franchise mode. They never said anything about Offline franchise mode. They just used the small Online Franchise numbers as the primary justification for not doing much to Franchise mode for M 11. For whatever reason I think they got the idea in their heads that once they created Online Franchise mode, this would cause most Offline franchise folks to gravitate toward that mode. This was obviously totally erroneousness thinking on their part.

The people who liked/wanted Online Franchise, (or Online Dynasty in NCAA), are/were quite vocal in their demands for these modes, but their numbers were never really legion.

Its my belief that the tendency to focus on Online aspects are sadly fueled by Peter Moore's desire to squeeze more dough out of folks through DLC/Micro-transactions.

# 35 Palo20 @ 11/20/10 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

I would say that its for multiple reasons. The CPU QB almost always moves to the right to buy time or try to escape. Also, when a back stays in to block, it seems like most of the time the default first read is to the left side of the offensive line when the RE is coming from. So he gets chipped a whole lot more then the LE.
I've definitely noticed the QB moving in the pocket to the right. I wish they were smarter about where they moved in the pocket. Too many times they drift to the right, then throw back across the field to the FB sitting in the left flat for a 1 yard gain or so.

# 36 Crimsontide27 @ 11/20/10 12:39 PM
To play devils advocate, we hear this same song and dance every year and look where we are at today.

The EA devs have lost all credibility with their podcasts, tweets, interviews etc in light of the difference in what they say, and what is on the shelves the next year.

The time for talk is over, its time to translate words into action.

# 37 kjcheezhead @ 11/20/10 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigogouhou
I'm curious what the cutoff percentage is regarding "Nobody plays this mode, let's not upgrade it" and "This mode is played enough, let's focus on it."

I mean, for me, two of the three "main" modes (online franchise & superstar) I WOULD play the most, I hardly ever play because they are so lacking in features & functionality...but by not playing them I'm contributing to their lack of upgrades...
This concerns me as well. My favorite mode would be online franchise, however it's so lacking and connection issues/lag is a huge problem as well. It would make sense to focus on this mode since offline franchisers could still play single player online franchises. It looks like this mode is going to get very little attention again tho because according to their data no one uses online franchise in its current state.

Just because no one is playing a mode as it is in madden, doesn't mean it's a mode no one wants to play.

# 38 jyoung @ 11/20/10 02:14 PM
Maybe the reason online franchise numbers are so low is because the feature itself is so incredibly barebones and limited.

# 39 raiders81tim @ 11/20/10 02:43 PM
After listening to this podcast I'm completely convinced Madden will never be the game I'm looking for as long as these are the people working on it. The most successful sports titles this gen are shooting to be the absolute best sim possible. While it seems these guys are going in with the idea that a complete sim wouldn't be "fun enough". Madden will continue to be a complete joke.

# 40 Palo20 @ 11/20/10 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders81tim
After listening to this podcast I'm completely convinced Madden will never be the game I'm looking for as long as these are the people working on it. The most successful sports titles this gen are shooting to be the absolute best sim possible. While it seems these guys are going in with the idea that a complete sim wouldn't be "fun enough". Madden will continue to be a complete joke.
I did find it interesting that they lauded NBA 2K, then went on to almost dismiss creating a football sim of the same caliber.

I thought this Madden team's mantra was to create the ultimate sim, so NBA 2K should be the standard rather than an unreachable goal.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.