Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

So Josh Looman and I looked into this a bit this morning and I thought I'd post back some results.

Good News: It's very easy enough to 'unlock' the screen to allow someone to edit everything about their players in Franchise mode. Took like 10 minutes to do.

Bad News: Unfortunately, there are about a million things that can go wrong with this unlocked. Now I realize what you all will use this feature for which is to fine-tune progression and try and get extremely realistic stats, but here are just a few of the things that came up when we messed around with it:
  • There are countless "cheesing" things that the user can do like dropping your player ratings right before the off-season, signing him to the cheapest deal possible, and then setting him back.
  • Your save file can easily be rendered non-functional if you change enough CPU team's player's ratings where they can't re-sign any players. At this point the mode typically crashes or hangs and won't be recoverable from.
  • We also don't display that potential rating in the edit player screen now, and if you were to edit the actual player's overall rating to be higher than his potential rating, the game has a chance of crashing in many different spots. We'd have to add it in and always force it to be higher than the OVR I guess.
So I need help from you all...

Please comment and be specific about what exactly you NEED to edit. What is your overall specific intent with wanting to edit these players? Are there certain time frames we can lock it to? Are there certain specific changes you could only be allowed to make instead of full league-wide control? By reducing the amount of variables we can look into finding ways to make this happen. Unfortunately allowing the user to set every player in the league anytime from a 0 to a 99 is not going to be an option because of all the instability it will cause...and we just don't have the testing man-power to ensure that the mode won't start crashing all over the place.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 celey @ 11/24/10 02:51 PM
I personally dont mind not being able to edit ratings in franchise mode. But I would like to edit appearance. Arms, chest, belly, calfs, ect. Hines Ward has the calfs of an offensive lineman in M11. Not a game killer just an eyesore.

# 102 debauchlord @ 11/24/10 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celey
I personally dont mind not being able to edit ratings in franchise mode. But I would like to edit appearance. Arms, chest, belly, calfs, ect. Hines Ward has the calfs of an offensive lineman in M11. Not a game killer just an eyesore.
I can deal with ratings and potentials. Need to be able to edit players as this gentleman suggests and also edit their "head display". I mean, I avoid drafting players that are that really dark fellow with the slicked back black hair, because he looks ridiculous.

# 103 phenom2311 @ 11/25/10 10:11 PM
They need to allow it. The more control a gamer has over a game in this day and age the better. They paid the money for the game, let them do what they want with it when it affects only them. Therefore, allowing this type of control for an online franchise would not be a good thing. Why do they even care? The NBA 2K series has allowed full attribute AND contract editing in it's games for a while now. Not only can you edit current players, but you can do a full draft class edit to manipulate the draft. As for free agent lists being out of whack, and the game crashing or freezing up, that sounds like a "personal" problem, because it doesn't happen in the NBA 2K games. Besides I highly doubt someone will go in and edit every single player to the point where the game crashes. If they did, then they deserve to have the game crash on them lol.

# 104 Reejer @ 11/25/10 10:31 PM
You can dump the potential rating, and make a stat based progression system, and have it on a 4 week progression/regression schedule (weekly would be even better).

Or, if you don't have the ability to fix it, then you need to make the potential rating editable (on a 1-99 point scale).

# 105 patsfan188 @ 11/26/10 05:20 PM
Me and my buddy were just talking about LT and we were talking about how his face mask is so sick. Well I realize he's the only one with that face mask then me friend was like why doesn't madden and ncaa let u make custom face masks? I was like hey thats actually a good idea. I hope Madden is reading this.

# 106 XDats IgnantX @ 11/26/10 05:27 PM
regarding editing roster ratings...
let the cheeser cheese
real sim players will not do anything outrageous...
the cheesers are going to find a way to cheese eventually anyway, so why limit everyone else?
ppl can just edit rosters anyway from the main menu, so why limit us in franchise mode?

# 107 Palo20 @ 11/26/10 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan188
Me and my buddy were just talking about LT and we were talking about how his face mask is so sick. Well I realize he's the only one with that face mask then me friend was like why doesn't madden and ncaa let u make custom face masks? I was like hey thats actually a good idea. I hope Madden is reading this.
I'm guessing John Madden is not an OS member.

# 108 iAM-IncReDiBLe- @ 11/26/10 06:56 PM
About the whole potential thing can you guys please just hide the potential. I don't want to see it. It screws up trading in online franchises an since everyone knows what everyone's potential is they never draft wrong or make bad FA signings or trades.

# 109 AmazingMets @ 11/27/10 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
You can dump the potential rating, and make a stat based progression system, and have it on a 4 week progression/regression schedule (weekly would be even better).

Or, if you don't have the ability to fix it, then you need to make the potential rating editable (on a 1-99 point scale).
This is something that is sorely needed. In Madden 10, I signed a quarterback from the FA pool for the Raiders, Chase Daniel. He did terrific for me, however he could not progress very much as he only had a C or D potential, don't remember which one. If someone throws for over 2,500 yards and 25 or so touchdowns with 10-15 interceptions, he should progress a very good amount. Over a C or D potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kng23rich
About the whole potential thing can you guys please just hide the potential. I don't want to see it. It screws up trading in online franchises an since everyone knows what everyone's potential is they never draft wrong or make bad FA signings or trades.
I digress with this. The "potential" is important for the draft. This is because at least in Madden 10, it changes a bit after you scout someone. Also, while the potential might be very high, their overall could be in the 50s-60s. Then if they don't perform they don't progress. I think the potential in the draft is fine. That is, if they don't take it away altogether.

# 110 CWood2 @ 11/27/10 10:49 AM
Yes, yes, and please, YES.

I'm sitting here in front of my TV on a Saturday morning, trying to avoid seeing AJ Green show up in my draft class with dreads. We should be able to edit appearances for both created free agents, and draft classes. And playing ratings is obvious ... if we start a franchise, and players progress drastically (or regress), we should have the power to apply those changes.

Take a flyer from MLB the Show and make it happen guys. Thanks for putting the question out.

# 111 Palo20 @ 11/27/10 11:24 AM
Just had a thought: Is there any way that a special code could be put in place to unlock the ratings screen for "Johnny Sim User?"

Then "Sammy Super Cheeser" can't break the game, but the sim users who really want the ability to edit ratings can come to message boards such as OS to get a code to unlock the screen.

# 112 CWood2 @ 11/27/10 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
Just had a thought: Is there any way that a special code could be put in place to unlock the ratings screen for "Johnny Sim User?"

Then "Sammy Super Cheeser" can't break the game, but the sim users who really want the ability to edit ratings can come to message boards such as OS to get a code to unlock the screen.
Johnny and Sammy should go out for beers and bridge the sim/arcade gap ...

# 113 grapedrink @ 11/27/10 03:24 PM
Trent Richardson and AJ Green consistently show up in my draft class with dreds. Same thing with Jermaine Gresham last year. NCAA needs to bring back hairstyles like in 06 and 07.

# 114 patsfan188 @ 11/27/10 05:27 PM
Really though Im not gonna update any teams players other than my teams players. I want Player Progression based on how the player is playing and being able to fix the NCAA imported draft classes when you import them. Then you should be able to make the players draft projection. that would be cool.

# 115 KBLover @ 11/27/10 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingMets
This is something that is sorely needed. In Madden 10, I signed a quarterback from the FA pool for the Raiders, Chase Daniel. He did terrific for me, however he could not progress very much as he only had a C or D potential, don't remember which one. If someone throws for over 2,500 yards and 25 or so touchdowns with 10-15 interceptions, he should progress a very good amount. Over a C or D potential.

Of course, if you can get an average QB 2500 yds and a 2:1 TD/INT ratio...why is he rated average in the first place? Does the average ratings in Madden = that kind of production? I think step one for Madden is make it hard for an average player to be anything more than average. The user's stick skills or whatever should be getting the player to do what he can do, not exceed his rated skills. If the user sucks on the sticks, the player won't perform, if the user is good, then the player shows what HE can do, not become superman. Otherwise, who cares? Just get good at the sticks and win with a cheap salary roster of C's and D's. Why have stars if you can just stick skill mediocrity into good-great?

What Madden needs is CHANGING potential. Potential isn't a fixed thing. A drafted player that constantly sucks is not going to be considered the great hope anymore (see: Reggie Bush, for example. He was all that and then some. Houston were fools for passing him up - except...what has he done? He should no longer be A potential)

The game also needs potential to just increase. A kid could come out of nowhere because he works hard and maybe he picks up on something in films or by working with a vet at his position, etc. Of course, Madden would actually need this kind of thing in the game. Bring back drills. Bring in a weekly prep or a practice system. Bring in a personality system and have one be a "mentor" personality that helps younger players along. Make coaching more impacting. Bring in POSITIONAL coaches like Head Coach had. That's how players improve in real life. They don't improve by playing better football. What made them play better football in the first place? Magic?

Injuries should have a lasting impact if they are serious/frequent enough. Like in OOTP, a player that gets hurt long term and see their skills and potential decline over time until they heal - and sometimes even after. This would make injuries and injury ratings meaningful. Losing that hot stud QB to a season-ending injury could put you on pins and needles for the rest of his career. That A potential might be a C when he comes back, or his ratings drop down the crapper until he heals and can work his way back.

That and the fact you knew that QB was, without a doubt, C potential is also a problem. We need mystery around potential, especially on unproven/rookies players. This brings up more "Brady situations" where a kid gets passed over, and then makes everyone look stupid because, "OMG he's way better than we all thought!" That doesn't happen now not because potential ratings exist, but because we know what they are and they never can change so that some C/D potential 6th rounder can never improve his potential - even though it can happen in real life if he works hard off the field and learns some things, especially if he has physical/athletic ability, or scouts were just wrong to begin with and it didn't so much "improve" but they realize, "hey, we were wrong about this kid".

# 116 alifeincomplete @ 11/28/10 12:11 AM
Chiming back into this thread for a quick post: would this be something Ian's considering for patching into Madden 11 or for making it an addition to Madden 12?

# 117 Vizen @ 11/28/10 09:13 PM
I hope they implement this into Madden 11, just so I can update some key players without having to restart a franchise with every roster update.

# 118 Palo20 @ 11/28/10 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
If they give full editability of players and manual injuries, Madden will come off my shelf for the first time since October 5th.
I love the manual injury idea from The Show. Ian, that would be a welcomed addition too.

# 119 sniperhare @ 11/28/10 11:32 PM
You guys just need to find a way to copy how NBA 2K does their game. Let us edit just about everything whenever we want. And give us something with as much use as 2K Share.

That way we can change draft classes based on how the players leave and update rookies in the middle of our seasons.

And if someone wants to make a team full of 99 rated players to get some easy achievements let them. Nobody really cares about that anyway. Look at all the hackers in FPS leaderboards, you just ignore them.

# 120 jbrew2411 @ 11/29/10 12:13 AM
Hey Ian, please show the NCAA team how to do this so we can get it in NCAA 12. Much needed in both games.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.