Home
Skate 3 News Post

According to a recent interview, over at Kotaku, it seems skateboarding has run its course as a top video game format.

What are your thoughts? Is it time to scrap these games? What can they do to make the games better?

Quote:
"The heyday of skateboarding games is past, the head of EA, the company that makes Tony Hawk rival franchise Skate, told Kotaku in an interview this week.

EA chief John Riccitiello, whose company's Skate series has been regarded as the better skateboarding video game series in the last few years, sees skateboarding as part of a bigger group of games he thinks will stick around.

"When it comes to action sports, I think that's going to be an an ongoing exciting genre," Riccitiello said during an interview in New York City. "But at least for the level of excitement out there, skateboarding seems to have run its course as the representative example in that broader genre."

Game: Skate 3Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
Skate 3 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Simp @ 12/12/10 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
I know people loved SSX, but I'd rather they made an uber-realistic snowboarding game like Skate. That would be so much fun.
Have you tried Stoked? I got Stoked: Big Air Edition last winter (had to order it online as they don't sell it it Canada), and it's pretty good. It definitely takes a more realistic approach. Big mountain, big powder, go anywhere you want in the game.

The controls can Be a little stiff at times but this game represents the feeling of riding powder better than any snowboarding game I've played before it.

# 22 Bellsprout @ 12/12/10 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simp
Have you tried Stoked? I got Stoked: Big Air Edition last winter (had to order it online as they don't sell it it Canada), and it's pretty good. It definitely takes a more realistic approach. Big mountain, big powder, go anywhere you want in the game.

The controls can Be a little stiff at times but this game represents the feeling of riding powder better than any snowboarding game I've played before it.
I think Stoked is 360 only, and I have a PS3. Shame, I was following that game and it looked pretty good.

# 23 BlueNGold @ 12/12/10 11:33 PM
EA only has themselves to blame here IMO. If I remember right, they released Skate 1, 2 and 3 all on 1 year cycles. If they would have just taken 2 years off from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 then things would have been much better in terms of sales.

The games weren't bad at all and didn't suffer from those 1 year cycles, but I think it would have kept the market for skateboarding games around a little longer.

Just look at the music game genre. They over-saturated the market with a ****load of games (mostly have to blame Activision/Guitar Hero for that) and now most people are tired of those games.

# 24 Shinyhubcaps @ 12/17/10 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
EA only has themselves to blame here IMO. If I remember right, they released Skate 1, 2 and 3 all on 1 year cycles. If they would have just taken 2 years off from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 then things would have been much better in terms of sales.

The games weren't bad at all and didn't suffer from those 1 year cycles, but I think it would have kept the market for skateboarding games around a little longer.

Just look at the music game genre. They over-saturated the market with a ****load of games (mostly have to blame Activision/Guitar Hero for that) and now most people are tired of those games.
The article actually says that the guy from EA thinks music games will make a comeback.

Also, Skate games were released on 16-month intervals, which means another 4 months of development time if they took the same route as other games (release, one month off, then work for 10 months before the game gets ready to ship). I have no problem with that release cycle considering each game added stuff without really taking anything away from the previous, so you get the new features to market faster.

So after reading the article again, I don't really appreciate that guy's take on "action sports" games. I think he's confusing arcade games with action sports if he cites NBA Jam as being an action sports game.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.