Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

Take-Two Interactive's chairman Strauss Zelnick believes the company could walk away from its third-party MLB exclusivity deal when it expires in 2012, according to Reuters. At this point, he feels like Take-Two is not reaping enough benefits from the current deal.

Quote:
"It's a losing proposition and we don't have any interest in pursuing losing propositions."

While that comment almost makes it seem like it's a foregone conclusion that Take-Two will walk away from the MLB deal in 2012, Zelnick also made it clear he was not opposed to renewing the exclusivity agreement if the terms changed.

Quote:
"He said the company is open to renewing its game licensing agreement with Major League Baseball, but only if the economics change."

The "economics" he is hinting could deal with how the game sells in the coming years or how much cash has to be doled out for the license, but in the grand scheme of things that does not really matter.

In fact, I could have just typed "blah blah blah blah MVP Baseball 2013 could happen blah blah blah blah" and it would have sufficed here, especially for Xbox 360 owners out there who have not been able to get their grubby green hands on The Show during this generation of consoles.

Source - Reuters Summit-Take-Two sees opportunity in digital (Reuters) via (Kotaku)

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Ciws1 @ 12/04/10 04:45 PM
APF 2K8 shot it's self in the foot by not building on what was so great about NFL 2K5, they just cut and pasted instead. That's why ESPN 2K5 is still seen as the better game. 2K8 didn't even have a full season or franchise mode. What it all comes down to is that exclusive rights kill competition and that hurts everyone. MVP Vs The Show would be as hot as it gets. In also liked the general idea behind Acclaim Sports All Star Baseball. It had terrible graphics and stiff animation and control mechanics but it really did a great job of giving a sense of the history of baseball. For that alone i enjoyed it and still play it on occasion today. I hope we see more variety and less exclusivity in the future.

# 42 Ciws1 @ 12/04/10 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB01
I personally don't believe that applies to this situation because MLB 2K hasn't been any competition for MLB The Show since 08. MLB The Show is competing with itself anymore.
Do you honestly think that The Show would be what it is if 2K Baseball wasn't on the other side of the table? I think that it does apply to this pretty well. Yeah The Show is Better but only because they had to compete. I can guarantee that the dev team at SCEA had to really push their imaginations to put together a product that would stand out in front of 2K. They simply pulled an ace out of their hat and now have a comfortable lead is all. A race with only one competitor isn't a race, No one is the winner as the single racer is both winner and loser all at once. As Madden is showing now.

# 43 Knight165 @ 12/04/10 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciws1
Do you honestly think that The Show would be what it is if 2K Baseball wasn't on the other side of the table? I think that it does apply to this pretty well. Yeah The Show is Better but only because they had to compete. I can guarantee that the dev team at SCEA had to really push their imaginations to put together a product that would stand out in front of 2K. They simply pulled an ace out of their hat and now have a comfortable lead is all. A race with only one competitor isn't a race, No one is the winner as the single racer is both winner and loser all at once. As Madden is showing now.
Honestly...and don't take this the wrong way...but you have no idea what you are talking about.
I've been to SCEA with the dev team 5 times now and I would say I've got a pretty good handle on them and the way they work. They would make this product and continue to improve it as it's been, not only if there was no other competition....but if it was just 10 people buying the game. These guys push themselves and led the charge to involve their users in the process and nobody does it better right now.
I'm not sure what you mean..."they pulled an ace out of their hat....that is all"...but if you mean that it was an accident or because EA lost the rights...that too is incorrect.

Take it for what it's worth.

M.K.
Knight165

# 44 spankdatazz22 @ 12/05/10 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Davis
Really? is this serious? look im all for more games and im not gonna sit here and say I have a PS3 and the show so i dont care. Thats Ignorant, however this post is just brutal, The show isnt a success because they had to "get ahead" of 2K, thats just dumb, MLB 08 and 09 were classics, regardless wether EA would have been involved or not these would have still been classics. Again im not trying to gloat in anyways but this post was just wrong.
I'm the least knowledgeable baseball person around here, but I do think a case can be made that competition with 2K has helped improve The Show. For example, I think it was in 2K9 that 2K introduced realtime presentation; the very next year The Show went in that direction saying it was the future. I've seen many people say they prefer 2K's more interactive pitching/batting/fielding interface than the button presses of The Show - which I'd expect them to change. Features like 2K's interactive commentary and MLB Today are things I'm sure The Show fans would like to see in their preferred game.

So I do think 989 is influenced by competition on some level, however small. Just as in any business (NBA2K influenced by Live, Microsoft by Apple, Microsoft & Sony by Nintendo, etc.). Competition makes for better product in pretty much every instance, regardless how talented the team is imo. 2K gets a ton of hate for their limited exclusivity, and no MLB2K isn't in the same league as The Show. But from what I've seen they have brought some innovation to the table and imo helped to push videogame baseball forward

# 45 Artman22 @ 12/05/10 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I'm the least knowledgeable baseball person around here, but I do think a case can be made that competition with 2K has helped improve The Show. For example, I think it was in 2K9 that 2K introduced realtime presentation; the very next year The Show went in that direction saying it was the future. I've seen many people say they prefer 2K's more interactive pitching/batting/fielding interface than the button presses of The Show - which I'd expect them to change. Features like 2K's interactive commentary and MLB Today are things I'm sure The Show fans would like to see in their preferred game.

So I do think 989 is influenced by competition on some level, however small. Just as in any business (NBA2K influenced by Live, Microsoft by Apple, Microsoft & Sony by Nintendo, etc.). Competition makes for better product in pretty much every instance, regardless how talented the team is imo. 2K gets a ton of hate for their limited exclusivity, and no MLB2K isn't in the same league as The Show. But from what I've seen they have brought some innovation to the table and imo helped to push videogame baseball forward
Good points. The only thing is that It's sandiego studios and no longer 989. I do believe that each company pushes each other, and like you said they take ideas from each other.

# 46 Knight165 @ 12/05/10 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22

Well..the problem is you're focusing on the wrong post to quote.
Sure, competition is a good thing...but in the other guys post he made it seem that if 2K wasn't around.....SCEA would have put out some garbage game and that they somehow got lucky to make a great game...."that is all".
He is far more off on that than anything else in this thread.

...and to be quite honest....Real Time Presentation was a few years in the making.....they just didn't like how it was shaking out and didn't want to just slap it in. The timing of 2K doing it(they could have been working on it quite a while also)...and then SCEA may have made it seem like a "they did it....we'll do it" kind of thing...but it was more from hearing it from the community.

2013(maybe 14?)...should be interesting to say the least.
I just hope some of you guys are not hyping yourselves into "yawn" status.

M.K.
Knight165

# 47 Ciws1 @ 12/05/10 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Honestly...and don't take this the wrong way...but you have no idea what you are talking about.
I've been to SCEA with the dev team 5 times now and I would say I've got a pretty good handle on them and the way they work. They would make this product and continue to improve it as it's been, not only if there was no other competition....but if it was just 10 people buying the game. These guys push themselves and led the charge to involve their users in the process and nobody does it better right now.
I'm not sure what you mean..."they pulled an ace out of their hat....that is all"...but if you mean that it was an accident or because EA lost the rights...that too is incorrect.

Take it for what it's worth.

M.K.
Knight165

Before you accuse someone of not knowing what they are talking about you should take economics. Without competition there is no reason to invest so much money or time in a product. SCEA would not have made the product they did if there was no competition. I like The Show over 2K hands down but i'm not ignorant enough to think that they just felt like tossing as much effort into a project as they did for laughs.

And as far as the pulled an ace out of their hat comment i was trying to say they got a good hand. They found a good formula and it pushed them farther ahead of 2K. NOT that they are "lucky' or it was an "Accident" that they are crushing 2K this round.

# 48 Ciws1 @ 12/05/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Well..the problem is you're focusing on the wrong post to quote.
Sure, competition is a good thing...but in the other guys post he made it seem that if 2K wasn't around.....SCEA would have put out some garbage game and that they somehow got lucky to make a great game...."that is all".
He is far more off on that than anything else in this thread.

...and to be quite honest....Real Time Presentation was a few years in the making.....they just didn't like how it was shaking out and didn't want to just slap it in. The timing of 2K doing it(they could have been working on it quite a while also)...and then SCEA may have made it seem like a "they did it....we'll do it" kind of thing...but it was more from hearing it from the community.

2013(maybe 14?)...should be interesting to say the least.
I just hope some of you guys are not hyping yourselves into "yawn" status.

M.K.
Knight165

I never said that SCEA would have put out Garbage if 2K wasn't there. I'm saying the end product we see in 2010 The Show today wouldn't be the same one we would have had if SCEA was the absolute exclusive license to MLB and 2K had no game at all. Look at Madden if you need an example. (Of course if your a madden fan this may not work as an example for you)

I am not attacking SCEA, 2K's Baseball isn't as good hands down but they did have things that The Show had to counter.

# 49 BlackBetty15 @ 12/05/10 03:28 PM
Honestly, I could care less about WHO makes the game and by what means...please...PLEASE SOMEONE just make a game makes me feel like I am in the batters box/pitching mound/IF,OF Ect....Give me a game with the player models of mlb2k7, the analog hit/pitch from 2k10, the commentary from MVP05, and the rest of it the show (gameplay, little things, presentation, stat tracking) Give me the franchise that was MVP05 and I will be the happiest consumer on the planet. I dont care if its not a perfect game, just make me believe I am looking at a real game.

# 50 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/05/10 03:35 PM
Quote:
Before you accuse someone of not knowing what they are talking about you should take economics. Without competition there is no reason to invest so much money or time in a product. SCEA would not have made the product they did if there was no competition. I like The Show over 2K hands down but i'm not ignorant enough to think that they just felt like tossing as much effort into a project as they did for laughs.

And as far as the pulled an ace out of their hat comment i was trying to say they got a good hand. They found a good formula and it pushed them farther ahead of 2K. NOT that they are "lucky' or it was an "Accident" that they are crushing 2K this round.
Quote:
I never said that SCEA would have put out Garbage if 2K wasn't there. I'm saying the end product we see in 2010 The Show today wouldn't be the same one we would have had if SCEA was the absolute exclusive license to MLB and 2K had no game at all. Look at Madden if you need an example. (Of course if your a madden fan this may not work as an example for you)

I am not attacking SCEA, 2K's Baseball isn't as good hands down but they did have things that The Show had to counter.
And it sounds to me you are looking at things too "black and white". I see the passion these developers have. I see that a lot have "baseball minds" and some ex pro ball players.

I see they would still put out a product we have today not matter what, because 2K has not even been close to competition for The Show, and they still did not lax at all and STILL put out a phenomenal product, improving upon THEMSELVES every year.

They are their own competition at this point.

Not saying I disagree with competition breeds a strive for excellence, but it has been only happening on one side of the fence thus far.

# 51 spankdatazz22 @ 12/05/10 04:35 PM
So do these guys have a completely off-base view?:

http://www.operationsports.com/featu...-grudge-match/

I'm a casual baseball fan at best, so take anything I say w/a grain of salt. But I don't think MLB2K is anywhere near as bad as some of you insinuate, and has made some significant contributions to help push videogame baseball forward

# 52 bigfnjoe96 @ 12/05/10 04:40 PM
It definitely doesn't help 2K when they've had 3 different development teams developing for this series since they've jumped Next-Gen.

What makes The Show a great great game is the consistency of the development team. What makes NBA 2K a great game is the consistency of the development team.

When this series had a consistent developer it was a great game. World Series Baseball (Blue Shift)

Again this series since Next-Gen has not had a consistent developer. Finally 2k Baseball has a development team dedicated to the series which should help move the series in the right direction

# 53 BlackBetty15 @ 12/05/10 05:17 PM
[quote=EnigmaNemesis;2041908766]
I see they would still put out a product we have today not matter what, because 2K has not even been close to competition for The Show, and they still did not lax at all and STILL put out a phenomenal product, improving upon THEMSELVES every year.

They are their own competition at this point.
quote]

I agree completely. From 2k8 on, the show has been "IT". I mean the sad thing is, 2K is now the preverbial "OJ" of the video game industry. I really dont think it would matter if they made a stellar game in 2k11, the rep and bad rapport with the consumer base has made them a company no one wants to put faith or their $'s into anymore. Aside from brand loyal consumers of course. But SCEA has really built a strong community for themselves based on community rapport so kudos for them.

EDIT>>>> I screwed up the quote deal, this was from enigmanemisis.

# 54 bigfnjoe96 @ 12/05/10 07:52 PM
Quote:
That would explain why MLB 2K has been so under par then. Nobody else is allowed to make an MLB game for the 360.
Once again, just because the game doesn't fit YOUR standard, doesn't means other people don't enjoy the game.

# 55 CMH @ 12/05/10 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
First, clarity must be brought to the definition of Hardcore vs Casual.
When I speak to young people, I define Hardcore as the individual that will/willing to spend more than an hour playing a game day after day. Casual is the person that plays no particular game here or there just to blend into the social atmosphere there in. It's the time spent playing, not how much of a fan of the sport/game that decides if your Hardcore or not.
Maybe I misunderstood. You're saying that 90% of the people that are "hardcore" gamers as defined by you, immediately edit gear and rosters when they turn on the game?

I really do think your percentages are extremely off. Way too high.

I'm more sure that not even half the gamers that play over an hour a day edits gear or rosters.

# 56 bigfnjoe96 @ 12/06/10 07:39 AM
Quote:
My standard is very run of the mill though - does the MLB video game play like major league baseball ? Yea, then I like it. If not, why play it ?
So since time & time again you've said you prefer The Show over 2K baseball, why come here & take jabs @ the game. Jabs @ the developer?

I just don't understand. I prefer 2K baseball over The Show. I feel it does some things better, but you don't see in The Show forum talking about it.

Listen I know people are entitled to opinions, but c'mon already

Sent from my Awesome Phone via tapatalk

# 57 nemesis04 @ 12/06/10 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
It definitely doesn't help 2K when they've had 3 different development teams developing for this series since they've jumped Next-Gen.

What makes The Show a great great game is the consistency of the development team. What makes NBA 2K a great game is the consistency of the development team.

When this series had a consistent developer it was a great game. World Series Baseball (Blue Shift)

Again this series since Next-Gen has not had a consistent developer. Finally 2k Baseball has a development team dedicated to the series which should help move the series in the right direction
Having different development teams is definitely part of it but to me it seems like the level of baseball knowledge of the current development team seems light. When they initially release a game that does not have a check swing system implemented that is a huge red flag to me. When I play 2k baseball it feels like baseball at face value without all the idiosyncrasy's of the sport.

# 58 bigfnjoe96 @ 12/06/10 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Having different development teams is definitely part of it but to me it seems like the level of baseball knowledge of the current development team seems light. When they initially release a game that does not have a check swing system implemented that is a huge red flag to me. When I play 2k baseball it feels like baseball at face value without all the idiosyncrasy's of the sport.
Totally agree. The QA in this series has been terrible. As for the knowledge the developer's have on baseball, that I can;t speak-on but the hope would be they have some knowledge of the game

# 59 Artman22 @ 12/06/10 12:30 PM
Quote:
My standard is very run of the mill though - does the MLB video game play like major league baseball ? Yea, then I like it. If not, why play it ?
It's very clear YOU don't like mlb2k, so why keep bashing the game? Or better yet since you don't like the game why do you ruin it for others that probably like the game?

# 60 Artman22 @ 12/06/10 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I see what you mean, and I'm not apologizing for it, but maybe they didn't have enough time to get it working properly IDK. I feel that check swings should have been there from the start. There are many things missing in this game. I feel like the fielding animations need to be completely redone.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.