Home
Madden 12 News Post

Ian, Donny and Josh discuss the future of Madden, mostly talking about Franchise mode, but also touch on quite a few other things.

What did you like/dislike about the latest podcast?

Here are a couple of links.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bigsmallwood @ 12/10/10 04:26 PM
LOL I bet if they had some competition, they we would be surprised at what they could all of the sudden implement in a years timing lol

# 22 roadman @ 12/10/10 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
LOL I bet if they had some competition, they we would be surprised at what they could all of the sudden implement in a years timing lol
Maybe you didn't hear that they have a smaller staff since Josh started.

# 23 Ian_Cummings @ 12/10/10 04:35 PM
What Danimal said.

# 24 michapop9 @ 12/10/10 04:44 PM
So no info on editing rosters within franchise?? Kind of frustrating since Ian started a thread and stated hell get back to us with some info, its been a couple weeks....errr, I think this past title update sounds great and kudos to them for putting it out, I was just hoping the "code" that he talked about would be given to us by now to unlock the editing ability with this title update.

# 25 ryan36 @ 12/10/10 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Maybe you didn't hear that they have a smaller staff since Josh started.
Well you don't know what would happen "if" something happens until it does. So nobody could say with a certainty. But Roadman, if there was competition, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that EA would then see a need to expand its staff.

# 26 at23steelers @ 12/10/10 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
What Danimal said.
Great job, homie!! Looking forward to Pastapadre in the next podcast, since he is a harsh critic, especially this past year for Madden. Hoping this Madden year is a huge step in the right direction. Only thing bothering me now is that I don't have the new update, which of course is probably Microsoft's and Sony's faults.

# 27 roadman @ 12/10/10 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Well you don't know what would happen "if" something happens until it does. So nobody could say with a certainty. But Roadman, if there was competition, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that EA would then see a need to expand its staff.
Absolutely, I've been a supporter of competition, but with the current recession and layoffs within Tiburon, and the exclusive license, it is a business risk to add staff.

Also, it's no certainty if you double your staff and throw in the whole kitchen sink(ie HC) in a one year cycle that you won't break parts of franchise or any other part of the game.

I think that's the crux. People want it all and they want it all in one cycle. I don't blame them, but that's not the way it's happening.

# 28 moylan1234 @ 12/10/10 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I'm really getting sick of the " we need more time excuse." By the time Madden 12 hits the shelves, three years will have passed since Head Coach 09 was released; two years will have passed since Ian first uttered the mantra " Everything you see on Sundays."

Enough with the " they need more time " crap !
Totally agree and what really bothers me is that these time constraints they keep talking about are completely self imposed and yet they act like it's our fault for not understanding the process

# 29 frankrizzo380 @ 12/10/10 05:08 PM
OMG! what i heard in this podcast in contrast to that video steve posted about "when madden speaks, ea devs listen" is like a complete contradiction to say the least. also, why does ea constantly think that the madden gamer has no clue about football? i mean come on, they come to these sites every year and read wishlist and answer questions about football as it would relate to a football video game, what im saying is is that they actually communicate more than enough with the community to realize, "hey, these guys kno football, and they would love to have a videogame that represents football"

man im just clueless after listening to this guys, i mean this game is named after John Madden, this man IS football, im pretty sure that he dosent want a watered down product with his name on it on the shelves, im just lost right now.

oh and the "lack of time" they keep saying, over and over, did they not take off THIS years game to start making improvements to the franchise mode for madden 12??? im starting to want more competition in this market, because there isnt any reasonable progress in this game within the near future....i just cant believe what i just listened to

# 30 roadman @ 12/10/10 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
So because people are interpreting it different than you, they must not be listening to it and are simply basing opinions off of other interpretations? Mmmm, ok.

Here's what I heard that, when combined, paints the picture that I interpret:

"Time is the bane of our existence."

"...only so much time to put features in"

Placing HC into Madden is "not reality", "too big", "streamlined version..necessary"

Lots of "would like to" and "where I'd love to go" when using HC as the inspiration for Franchise.

"Investing in the future", "down the road".

Because HC took 2-3 years, he would like to use it as a base where some features make it in "this year", "next year", "Five years".

None of those things by themselves are unreasonable. Taken together, however, I see them very carefully attempting to set expectations. Nothing wrong with that, but the picture I'm seeing is very much "future" oriented, which as another poster said, is what we've been hearing for years. All comments taken together, what is the evidence that it will be "amazing" (your word) again?

If they add only one thing from HC, Franchise Mode will be improved, but that's not saying much given how barren it is now. If they only added ONE thing (as an example), I would consider it a fail. I don't expect HC in one year, but I would hope for something somewhat substantial in one year.

Given their history, focus on online, MUT, digital, etc., I don't hear much to get excited about which is why it's disappointing thus far IMO. I admire your faith in EA, but I submit: please don't admonish others for "not listening" if they don't have the same take-away as you from this podcast.
It's more a glass half empty vs glass half full. They need to pull people over to the glass half full areas and that won't happen until there is more information processed after the SB and beyond.

I feel a bit more positive after hearing Podcast 1 @ 2 and telling the audience they are basing FM from the depths of HC. I loved that game.

# 31 cletusdog @ 12/10/10 05:38 PM
I think that they are missing the point on the "editing draft classes" issue.
I don't think that anyone is clamoring to edit the EA draft classes (which are ultimately fake). Who cares about creating a guy in the generated draft class, as Ian was saying could be done by the community. It might be cool for the 1 person that creates a guy, but to EVERYONE else, it's exactly the same thing.

THE REAL ISSUE:
What people want is to create (or edit up) real draft classes with realistic attributes from the NCAA imported classes. This is necessary to us because the classes, as they are now, are so random and out of balance with reality that it just kills the feature.

# 32 DickDalewood @ 12/10/10 05:52 PM
Lol, didn't they say this year they didn't touch Franchise so that 12 would have an awesome mode?? Man it gets old hearing "we don't have time". MAKE time dammit. Look how much 2K11 added in one year...

# 33 frankrizzo380 @ 12/10/10 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Lol, didn't they say this year they didn't touch Franchise so that 12 would have an awesome mode?? Man it gets old hearing "we don't have time". MAKE time dammit. Look how much 2K11 added in one year...
EXACTLY!!!!!

# 34 SteelerSpartan @ 12/10/10 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood

True Dat...that excuse has grown extremely tired in the wake of the quality of other Sports Games

And Im not necessarily Blaming these guys either......because they might not be setting the agenda for Madden..........but whoever is.....I have a huge problem with

# 35 khaliib @ 12/10/10 06:04 PM
Well it seems like Franchise is what gamers want the most.

Good to Ian jumping in on the thread about comments.

With that being said, Ian, when the time comes to put out information/videos about Madden 12, instead of a flood of visual upgrades, online features or new casual gamer injections, would you guys go deeper into what the Dynasty will offer?

Also, what we're finding on the NCAA side is that gamers are very smart and are finding things to enhance gameplay through their extensive testing.

With staff being limited, why not allow gamers the ability to test an open editor on the current Madden?
This way you can get direct gamer feedback on thresholds and boundaries within the game if given access.

With so many complaints, it allows the gamer to really have "Some" input into next years game.

Ian, there is an abundant of FREE staff (gamers) here willing to man hours of tinkering and testing to help you guys provide the best football gaming experience.

We're here. Let us help you beyond worded suggestions noted on gaming forums.

Did I mention it wouldn't be cost to EA.
That's FREE workers.
From a business point of view, it gets no better than that.
Free Labor!!!

Oh well, I can only offer an alternative to customer complaining (some are true), but many times s good idea simply falls to the wayside.

I'll be renting 1st as I've done since '07.
Unfortunately, I have yet to invest $60 in a Madden since '06.

# 36 rooney8 @ 12/10/10 06:16 PM
Here is why I didn't like the podcast and why I think alot didn't despite being told HC09 will make it into Madden in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Looman on Madden 10 franchise mode
I know some folks may be expecting the entire NFL Head Coach ’09 game to be dropped into Madden this year, but that’s not going to happen. We have a lot of work to do and it’s going to take us some time to start with the core of franchise mode and take it where we all want it to be.
My reaction: Not what I was hoping for but at least in a couple of years we will have a great franchise mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Frazier on Madden 11 franchise mode
As console technology has evolved, it’s become increasingly more difficult to evolve the mode in-kind, since we are handcuffed by the limitations of the code from so many years in the past. To re-write Franchise mode to take full advantage of the PS3 and Xbox 360 would take well over a year to do, which is why we’ve taken the approach we have up until now. With that in mind, we made the decision to focus this year’s development on making the core areas of Madden NFL better, namely the AI, animations, playcall, and online play
My reaction: Thought they were rebuilding last year but at least in a couple of years we will have a great franchise mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Cummings on franchise mode
It's such a shame to think that when that game (HC09) was done all that code just sat there on a perforce server and started collecting dust and so I think we're obviously using that now as the base for our long term franchise goals, some this year, some next year, some five years from now.
My reaction: Not what I was hoping for but at least in a couple of years we will have a great franchise mode.

Fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice shame on me.
Fool me thrice and I just might be hateful tweet of the week.

# 37 roadman @ 12/10/10 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
Here is why I didn't like the podcast and why I think alot didn't despite being told HC09 will make it into Madden in the future.

My reaction: Thought they were rebuilding last year but at least in a couple of years we will have a great franchise mode.

Fool me once shame on you.
Fool me twice shame on me.
Fool me thrice and I just might be hateful tweet of the week.
Isn't that Phil commenting on Madden 11, he wasn't a part of the podcast, was he?

Unles I'm not reading into this correctly.

# 38 rooney8 @ 12/10/10 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Isn't that Phil commenting on Madden 11, he wasn't a part of the podcast, was he?

Unles I'm not reading into this correctly.
LOL. You thought that first quote was Josh from the podcast. That was him two years ago just saying the same thing we heard today.
And yeah that was Phil commenting on M11.

# 39 roadman @ 12/10/10 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
LOL. You thought that first quote was Josh from the podcast. That was him two years ago just saying the same thing we heard today.
And yeah that was Phil commenting on M11.
Oh, ok, now it makes sense.

Frankly, the last few years they have said very little about franchise mode and done very little about franchise mode. If that is garbage, then it's true garbage.

At least they are telling us this year franchise mode is getting some love. I'm assuming they have to carry out that message like they carried out the message of very little being done with FM.

It's no excuse, but it is what it is.

# 40 Ryn Vintage1986 @ 12/10/10 06:51 PM
I'm going to be that jerk: Look at NBA 2K10 and at 2K11. Multiple layers of gigantic improvements in different areas.

I'm a franchise guy, and as such didn't buy Madden 11, but was intrigued when Madden 12 was tabbed as "the year of the franchise."

Now, I'm not sure.

Here's a thought: All of this "... in the future" garbage can be solved if, following what I'm becoming more and more concerned will be yet another disappointment from the Madden franchise in 2012, 2K's bid to get NFL exclusivity in 2013 is a successful one: http://gofanboy.com/go-fanboy-news/3...icensing-deal/

Here's to hoping that if "in five years, we'll have a complete game" is the approach, then they won't get the chance.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.