Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 vln13 @ 12/15/10 01:53 PM
AWESOME!!! WAITED only 10 MONTHS to hear THIS! And I never could have imagined a lot of this. Let's just make sure it's more of a complete product on March 1st, but otherwise hats of to SCEA. They have once again raised the bar for what a sports game can do in a year. None of this NBA Elite ****ing with the controls and not being able to release the game.

# 42 etched Chaos @ 12/15/10 01:57 PM
The RTTS news sounds amazing. Thgose goals really bugged me last year. But alas I hope thats not all thats been brought to RTTS, I'm an exclusive RTTs player and the more added the happier i am .

# 43 JibJab 24 @ 12/15/10 01:58 PM
I always hate this time of year. I'm trying to finish out the season on MLB 10, but with all the new information coming out, it's so hard to keep playing the 'old' game knowing what's coming. Sounds fantastic, loving the new look scoreboards and weather effects!

# 44 vln13 @ 12/15/10 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
OS is getting exclusive MLB 10 vs. MLB 11 Comparison screen shots on Thursday. I would suggest everyone wait to form an opinion until then.
Russel - thanks so much for all of the improvements. Any change to Franchise mode? Also, are the classic teams from the 10 The Show pre-order incentive or more going to be added in any form, DLC or not?

# 45 Yankees_CT @ 12/15/10 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
TOmba there is NO way those are the same player models from 10.
This, just by looking at the pics in the preview the models looked different to me. I never had a problem with them to begin with but the shoulder/arm length issue that some people have by looking at those few pics looks pretty damn good. I know it was only a few shots but I got a feeling they made changes and Russel's comments kind of makes that conclusion a logical one.

By the way, awesome preview!!!

# 46 armymule @ 12/15/10 02:01 PM
All that has been mentioned sounds great but I hope they made some of the manage mode improvements we have been asking for.

# 47 vln13 @ 12/15/10 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibJab 24
I always hate this time of year. I'm trying to finish out the season on MLB 10, but with all the new information coming out, it's so hard to keep playing the 'old' game knowing what's coming. Sounds fantastic, loving the new look scoreboards and weather effects!
Also, will there be wind effects on the uniforms and flags? This is a big part of dynamic weather.

# 48 econoodle @ 12/15/10 02:03 PM
glad rex is gone but was hoping for a clean sweep.
Matt V is cool tho
interesting on Soup staying on board.

Love the team specific camera angles too.
hoping for overhauled UI franchise and main menu as well as overhauled tv presentation complete with stats.

# 49 RoyalBoyle78 @ 12/15/10 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
And player models....

stay the same
not really, The first thing I noticed that really stood out are the players Arms, they seem perfect not short anymore.

# 50 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/10 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idesign2
Robinson's early previews are almost always super-positive, so his concerns about fielding are a little troublesome to me. Hope SCEA can get this straightened out, as I have always wanted analog fielding controls in The Show.

There's nothing to get straightened out it works the way its supposed to. If you don't/can't pre-load your throws the player will go into a throw ready position (this is what Jon was talking about)and you will loose the smooth transition animations. This is all done for strategy and gameplay balance. However it does take some time to get used to.

# 51 ryan36 @ 12/15/10 02:08 PM
One thing I'm interested to see is if the new player models (if they are there, and I have a feeling they are) fix the shortarming and weird release on pitchers. Most of them had their elbow too low for my liking...

# 52 callmetaternuts @ 12/15/10 02:09 PM
Good read and it looks like 11 certainly has some good improvements.

Will be tough to get used to them but it sounds like they are for the better and more than just mashing buttons.

Hoping to get some franchise info soon. Wondering what else they could have added to make franchise mode even better.

# 53 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/10 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vln13
Russel - thanks so much for all of the improvements. Any change to Franchise mode? Also, are the classic teams from the 10 The Show pre-order incentive or more going to be added in any form, DLC or not?

Jon is the only one who can post info on MLB 11 today. I can clarify anything he spoke of but I can't give out new information until Thursday.

# 54 Rase @ 12/15/10 02:10 PM
Check out the photo with Posey Ross and DeRosa... Seeing anything weird behind them?? Lol

# 55 ChaseB @ 12/15/10 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
Beep, Beep...back the truck up.
Beep beep beep? What are you doing?

# 56 ryan36 @ 12/15/10 02:11 PM
Hey I'm "on staff" at OS right...if "OS " has something I want it now!!!! Screw tomorrow. I'm super friggin' excited.

EDIT: Damn writers

# 57 Oriolesmagic @ 12/15/10 02:12 PM
Wow, I'm glad I started checking out this board a little bit more often than I used to. I would have never seen this.

Great stuff as usual, I'm really looking forward to this year's edition. They seem to have added a lot of different features that will make this game even more enjoyable than the past.

As for the player models not being updated, it doesn't really bother me too much. The player models have always looked really good anyway, and while some of the swing animations can get kind of repetitive, it's definitely not like it's a bad thing. Just maybe not as good as some of us may have hoped.

Nevertheless, this game seems to have met all my expectations, as long as the analog controls work as advertised.

Well done, SCEA!

# 58 thaSLAB @ 12/15/10 02:13 PM
Looking at the AT&T Park scoreboard in the B. Wilson screen brings tear to my eye :,-)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 59 Yanks22 @ 12/15/10 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Beep beep beep? What are you doing?
hahaha a little seinfeld quote here?

# 60 MizzouBravesFan @ 12/15/10 02:18 PM
Sounds awesome...can't wait.

Considering my main drive behind finally getting a PS3 was this game, needless to say I'm very excited for March.

The dynamic rain sounds extremely interesting, wonder if there will be rain delays, rainouts, etc. now.

The stadium specific jumbotrons and presentation setups also sound incredible...interested to see more about that.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.