Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 cgm110 @ 12/15/10 02:19 PM
Looks like a lot of good upgrades have been made. I've never been too good at analog game-controls, so I'll have to see how I do with these (guess I can always switch back to the classic controls if need be)... I guess this means raindelays/postponed games and double headers?!

# 62 idesign2 @ 12/15/10 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
There's nothing to get straightened out it works the way its supposed to. If you don't/can't pre-load your throws the player will go into a throw ready position (this is what Jon was talking about)and you will loose the smooth transition animations. This is all done for strategy and gameplay balance. However it does take some time to get used to.
I hear ya, and if any development team can get this right it is SCEA.

Having said that, I'm always cautious of games that overpromise and under-deliver. The fact that Robinson was strongly critical of the throwing controls in the first preview concerns me, to be honest. I trust SCEA will work hard to get this feature right (as almost everything about The Show is fantastic), but I'll be a bit skeptical until I read feedback from the community.

One quick question: Will we be able to mix and match analog and classic controls? For example, can we use analog pitching controls but classic fielding controls?

# 63 Reaman @ 12/15/10 02:20 PM
Pure Analog Control might give me a scare, but I'm going to have to master it. I'm glad to hear Co-op has been added in the game. I always thought that it would be amazing to play in a baseball game, so I will surely find out!

# 64 BlackBetty15 @ 12/15/10 02:22 PM
Quote:
Are they hmmmmmmmmmmm?
YOU TROLL!!!! You better not hold back russell. I have the equipment to find you and get information from you...Just one screen shot or just ONE bit of reassurance and I will quiet for good.

# 65 Bumble14 @ 12/15/10 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Beep beep beep? What are you doing?
haha...you got it!

# 66 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 02:32 PM
Yummy player models are yum!

Sent from nowhere using Tapatalk

# 67 wrigleyville33 @ 12/15/10 02:33 PM
Quote:
Are they hmmmmmmmmmmm?
Russ I hate it when you toy with us lol. According to the images in the espn preview they look the same (wide shoulders, etc). Hopefully...

# 68 Artman22 @ 12/15/10 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
RTTS performance evaluation and training sound awesome.

Weather (with real effects)...BOOYA!

Analog controls...BOOYA!

True Zone hitting (OMFG!!!) BOO-TO-THE-YIGGITY-YA!

Team Specific Broadcast Cameras...BOOYA!

Eric Karros for commentary (and no mention of Rex :59 ::y220e ::star :: D:c ool::cheers44 4:ap pl:: y220f:) This is kinda nice.

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome...

That is all for now.
This does sound awesome. My main grip with the commentary was not only rex, but the entire team was feeling old already. Overall I'm happy they made all these other changes

# 69 Dog @ 12/15/10 02:43 PM
This will easily become my favorite game of ALL TIME. I have never been so excited for a game.

# 70 Splitter77 @ 12/15/10 02:49 PM
if its not in the game, Id pay for a create stadium download.
Other than that, custom cameras, rain, zone hitting. Dont think this game will leave my ps3.

# 71 Rwings832 @ 12/15/10 02:52 PM
I really like the new information that has come out, with the custom camera's, especially with your RTTS player, I think it would be cook to have the batting camera with the picture of Joe Mauer in the picture of the article, that way it really looks like it is you up to bat and your looking out to the pitcher and can have the depth of the walls....looking forward to hearing more about the game in the next coming days.

# 72 beau21 @ 12/15/10 02:53 PM
Holy smokes.

If everything they've implemented is tuned to full working order, which I have full faith in SCEA doing, I don't see how this won't be the greatest sports game ever made.

The only things left unchecked on my wishlist would be the inclusion of classic teams, the ability to modify/create custom divisions and a full-blown Teambuilder-esque create-a-team feature.

Russ.. you may or may not be able to comment on this (I don't know how restricted you are for the time being).. but do you know if any of the media outlets will be posting video alongside their information?

# 73 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/10 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21
Holy smokes.

IF everything they've implemented is tuned to full working order, which I have full faith SCEA in doing, I don't see how this won't be the greatest sports game ever made.

The only things left unchecked on my wishlist would be the inclusion of classic teams, the ability to modify/create custom divisions and a full-blown Teambuilder-esque create-a-team feature.

Russ.. you may or may not be able to comment on this (I don't know how restricted you are for the time being).. but do you know if any of the media outlets will be posting video alongside their information?

No we haven't let anyone take any footage of the game yet. There will be a couple of video interviews posted on Thursday though they may have small snippets of video.

# 74 DJ @ 12/15/10 03:05 PM
Wow! I wasn't expecting Analog controls, so this came as a nice surprise to me.

Russell, can you tell us if there will be a slider for the "window" when using Analog Hitting? I know in EA's NCAA Baseball games you could change that slider so you could hold back on the R-stick a little longer before pressing forward to make contact.

I like the sounds of Analog Pitching, too, with having to move the stick in the direction you are wanting the pitch to go.

The change in RTTS evaluations/goals is great!

# 75 Dazraz @ 12/15/10 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
Not overly impressed with any of the new features. However, to be honest, I didn't have too many complaints with the '10 version and I know other tweaks will be upcoming that will cater more to what I want.

The best thing out of there to me is the chance that the play-by-play has been revamped since they added Karros and dropped Hud.
Hopefully the commentary is more dynamic as in NBA 2K11.

# 76 DJ @ 12/15/10 03:12 PM
Oh, and I'm also happy about the removal of Hudler. I'm hoping to hear more dynamic commentary in 11.

# 77 beau21 @ 12/15/10 03:19 PM
Though it's not noted in this article..

I'm also looking forward to seeing what they did with the real-time for 11.

The best just keeps getting better.

# 78 coolio83 @ 12/15/10 03:26 PM
I know it hasnt been mentioned and it might not be the way they want to go with it. But I would LOVE to have a feature in RTTS kinda like Be a Pro (NHL/FIFA) where you and your friends can take your created player online and make a team and play other people online with their created players.

# 79 jv35 @ 12/15/10 03:42 PM
Rex is out, good day.
Im interested in seeing Lincecum, because his hair was not too good in '10, but "the way Tim Lincecum's hippie hair flaps in the wind" really excites me. Release day can not get here fast enough.

# 80 ProStylez @ 12/15/10 03:42 PM
"dynamic rain and cloud coverage that takes into account not only stadium location but also a wet field, which will now affect the on-field results"

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.