Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Rase @ 12/15/10 04:43 PM
I love how the game is played in SF. It's the Giants...

Buster Posey, Cody Ross and Mark Derosa are up next to bat....All Giants players

And there is a San Diego thingy behind them in the middle of inning screen...

# 102 gigadkc @ 12/15/10 04:44 PM
true zone hitting: THAT'S what I've been waiting for.

# 103 econoodle @ 12/15/10 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos
I'm not trying to sound down and out here I am just saying what I feel. I have never been a year to year sports guy. I think it is the unreal expectations I have from the game because it is good that I prepare myself to be underwhelmed. I really do expect animations and stadiums to be much improved but I am not sure how far they will go. It doesn't, for me personally, look like they will reach the plateau I would want for spending another 50 or 60 on this. 10 was already a pretty damn good game. Little improvements here and there don't really make a difference. I would love for the Twins logo behind the batter to be changed to the TC and the grass to be as green as it is in real life or for the HoF numbers in the outfield to be in the right order but I am certainly not going to pay 60 dollars for it. The buildings and cityscapes imo need a lot of improvement but again I am just not expecting those kind of things. They had other priorities and I doubt much optimization went into textures and colors of the grass and walls and signs. Would it be that hard for this team to use Pitch F/X and actually make this game a sim instead of having us do it? How about all the crazy stances and motions that aren't even close. These are legitimate concerns. I don't have another 100 hours to put into doing stuff that I want done by the people actually making the game.
khron, no need to explain as i am with you, in terms of not being a yearly sports game purchaser.

for me to grab 11 it HAS to have a new UI, from the menus, which in franchise are a jumblegluck, right on down to the in game banners.
from the looks of the pic, the banners are the same with just white added instead of full black.
not what I was hoping for.

navigating franny is a chore for me.
i honestly dont need any more features in my franchise mode, its already stacked.
I just want a new look to the whole affair.

also with baseball being a stats game, i want to see that brought to life in stat pop ups in game.
not the paltry overlays we had last year.

i have no problem sticking with 10, too deep into it all to jump into another version unless the tv presentation is overhauled which will breath life into the experience, at least for me.

as far as the first news of whats added...aint nothing wrong with what i see, but i am still waiting for stuff to show up from MVP days of yore.

I might just dive back in when the gates open up in 2012.
tho, i will be monitoring the news of 11 as it comes out, you never know it might have the stuff i am looking for.

# 104 Vanman2425 @ 12/15/10 04:47 PM
Giants fans: It looks like they have added the players' names on the backs of the batting helmets by the looks of the Torres screenshot, and B Weez no longer has blonde hair! Also, I'm very excited for the authentic scoreboard displays. AT&T's looks spot on.

# 105 econoodle @ 12/15/10 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeusox
Why would they? That would be a waste of everyone's time.
they did it in 2k with clark kellogg lol
but yea, i dont think they will.
imagine that, Karros spewing out rexs old nuggets
lolol

# 106 nemesis04 @ 12/15/10 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
khron, no need to explain as i am with you, in terms of not being a yearly sports game purchaser.

for me to grab 11 it HAS to have a new UI, from the menus, which in franchise are a jumblegluck, right on down to the in game banners.
from the looks of the pic, the banners are the same with just white added instead of full black.
not what I was hoping for.

navigating franny is a chore for me.
i honestly dont need any more features in my franchise mode, its already stacked.
I just want a new look to the whole affair.

also with baseball being a stats game, i want to see that brought to life in stat pop ups in game.
not the paltry overlays we had last year.

i have no problem sticking with 10, too deep into it all to jump into another version unless the tv presentation is overhauled which will breath life into the experience, at least for me.

as far as the first news of whats added...aint nothing wrong with what i see, but i am still waiting for stuff to show up from MVP days of yore.

I might just dive back in when the gates open up in 2012.
tho, i will be monitoring the news of 11 as it comes out, you never know it might have the stuff i am looking for.
You have to take into account at what stage the pics and version the guy doing the preview was exposed to. From past experiences, presentation type material gets added at the very end, not saying that it will have what you are looking for just keep in mind what you are seeing is not close to the end yet.

# 107 Shakedowncapo @ 12/15/10 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis

They had me at co-op.

And real quick...Having new models isn't all about the "look" its also about how the players themselves shift their shoulders, etc., If they truly got rid of the boxy movements, damn we'll be in business.

OK enough of that now just give me the game so I can pitch(and dominate) with the four horsemen. SCEA SD have raised the bar once again.

# 108 econoodle @ 12/15/10 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
You have to take into account at what stage the pics and version the guy doing the preview was exposed to. From past experiences, presentation type material gets added at the very end, not saying that it will have what you are looking for just keep in mind what you are seeing is not close to the end yet.

good point Nem.
fingers crossed.

# 109 vegaas @ 12/15/10 04:58 PM
What was mentioned sounds ok. I like the idea of analog but if Jon has reservations about the fielding, well that worries me.
I dont care about online, co-op or road to the show so not going to comment on that.
The weather sounds cool, but if they dont implement retractable domes it will greatly decrease the realism. A rain out or playing in the rain in Miller Park would take you right of the immersion of the game.
No mention of Franchise improvement worries me. I would at least like to hear of better roster management. It has been a problem for some time with The Show.

# 110 acts238shaun @ 12/15/10 04:59 PM
Analog controls and editable cameras plus new RTTS? First day buy!

# 111 Blzer @ 12/15/10 05:00 PM
Quote:
... and a camera editor that enables you to customize any pitching or batting camera to your own personal specifications. There are even the exact broadcast views for every MLB team so you can play the game as your favorite team from the exact same viewpoint you watch them play for real. Amazing.
I just died.

# 112 tommyjesus @ 12/15/10 05:01 PM
AWESOME.

everything sounds incredible.

i wonder if they got the giants' orange and black striped socks in this game, though.

# 113 Joey @ 12/15/10 05:02 PM
Boy, I sure do hope they get that fixed between now and then.

(End sarcasm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rase
I love how the game is played in SF. It's the Giants...

Buster Posey, Cody Ross and Mark Derosa are up next to bat....All Giants players

And there is a San Diego thingy behind them in the middle of inning screen...

# 114 Galarius @ 12/15/10 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo

They had me at co-op.

And real quick...Having new models isn't all about the "look" its also about how the players themselves shift their shoulders, etc., If they truly got rid of the boxy movements, damn we'll be in business.

OK enough of that now just give me the game so I can pitch(and dominate) with the four horsemen. SCEA SD have raised the bar once again.
is that pic from 'The Cable Guy' with Jim Carrey?

# 115 Bullit @ 12/15/10 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Are they hmmmmmmmmmmm?
And we hear from the baseball gods themselves

# 116 Galarius @ 12/15/10 05:05 PM
how about an 'RTTS' mode that instead allows you to play as a real pro?

...any classic teams?

other than that, this game is pretty perfect

maybe improve manager mode options a bit, like setting certain auto logics that you can overide instead of that whole '6 seconds' thing all the time?

# 117 Bigsheen @ 12/15/10 05:06 PM
This is freakin great!! Im super pumped because something i pointed out that would be great to add was the kayakers at AT&T hopefully they have them at PNC as well cuz thats where ill be playing my games lol.

Someone pointed it out on the comments of his previwe, that the "up next" screen has SAN DIEGO behind players from San Fran. Im really hoping that because he only had so much time to play this that he didnt have time to do a franchise preview, while it was amazing last year, it could use a few touchups here and there.

Overall, this is gonna be amazing, i just hope i dont wreck rushing to get it like i did last year , lol its all schools fault. . .

# 118 playball11 @ 12/15/10 05:10 PM
How about classic stadiums?

# 119 Shakedowncapo @ 12/15/10 05:12 PM
We haven't even touched on custom rosters for online league play! My goodness.

# 120 Bullit @ 12/15/10 05:14 PM
This is going to be the longest 3 months ever. I thought last year was bad.!!!

This is going to be insane

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.