Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

I took these shots using yesterday's build no camera trickery both shots were taken using the in game photo feature. The only difference is one shot is taken in MLB 10 The Show, the other in MLB 11 The Show. The MLB 10 shot is the one on the top.

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 green94 @ 12/15/10 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Like I said in other thread..... Stay positive bro!

Anyways notice how the shadows seem more "Living" and less "painted" if you know what I mean?
Yes, lighting looks incredible. Every year this improves, it's amazing.

# 42 Rob_NYY @ 12/15/10 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
First thing Thursday morning I have about 10 more.
Can you please, please, please post one of Cliff Lee in his brand new Yankee unifo....oh wait.

# 43 42 @ 12/15/10 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
Can you please, please, please post one of Cliff Lee in his brand new Yankee unifo....oh wait.

# 44 Oriolesmagic @ 12/15/10 08:44 PM
Quote:
No offense but...

# 45 Bullit @ 12/15/10 08:44 PM
Quote:
I choked on my water, almost did a spit take onto my laptop. That was good

# 46 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 08:49 PM
Quote:

# 47 Yankees_CT @ 12/15/10 08:50 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the reminder....

# 48 HustlinOwl @ 12/15/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
First thing Thursday morning I have about 10 more.
good thing, I finished my work today

# 49 nemesis04 @ 12/15/10 08:54 PM
Quote:
You will get Mark Prior in a Yankee uni, lol!

# 50 Shakedowncapo @ 12/15/10 08:56 PM
Love it...you can see how relaxed their shoulders are in the '11 pics. Such a slight adjustment(easy to say when you aren't programming) that it can change the overall look for the better.

Howards '10 pic(and all years previous) is like;

# 51 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
You will get Mark Prior in a Yankee uni, lol!
Correction, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees!

# 52 Oriolesmagic @ 12/15/10 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Correction, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees!
I wouldn't be surprised if the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees have a higher payroll than most major league teams.

# 53 berenjena @ 12/15/10 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriolesmagic
I wouldn't be surprised if the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees have a higher payroll than most major league teams.

# 54 Skyboxer @ 12/15/10 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos
Oh good lord that would have been sweet the Yanks buying another ace to lose in the semi's with a 300m payroll. I kid I kid. Shakes head at Twins.
Well at least the Yankees put the $ back into the team and don't pocket the money
Yanks lose people say "see $ doesn't matter Yanks! HAHAH!!"
Yanks win "You bought it!!"

Go figure....

Not directed at you but the argument of spending money to win. Every fan would want their teams to spend the money. Yes some can't afford to BUT Yankees, Boston etc... pay a luxury tax, some teams than can afford it don't spend it and lastly until the MLB changes the rules why wouldn't teams that can afford to spend the money, spend the money?

Oh and F Cliff Lee (Not really as he would have been a great addition)

But yeah F Cliff Leee

# 55 ARMORALLL @ 12/15/10 09:05 PM
The best thing about new player models is that all the kids who would cry on these forums about no unique player models can finally shut up about it.

# 56 Oriolesmagic @ 12/15/10 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by berenjena

I'm just messing with you pal, but I do despise the Yankees with a burning passion.

# 57 Blzer @ 12/15/10 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I'm seriously man-crushing on you SCEA dudes right now! LOL

Quick question about these screen shots... can we assume that the black borders on 720p screens/videos we see in MLB 10, are now gone? Just an observation.
Well, here's why they existed in the first place (and I'd like for Russell or anyone else in game designing to please correct me if none of this sounds right).

This game is developed in 720p, or a 1280 x 720 resolution. Any 720p LCD HDTV that you see on the market has a native resolution of 1368 x 768, which is partly the reason why a VGA input source might actually look a bit crisper than an HDMI input source because VGA can do a proper 1:1 output while HDMI must account over the extra pixels and perform an overscan to fill up the screen.

If you have an LCD like I do, especially if it's Samsung because I know they're mostly the same, check your picture resolution options and see what you find. You'll probably have 16:9, 4:3, maybe a Zoom 1 and Zoom 2, but you'll probably also have something called "Just Scan," which displays your image at what seems to be its native resolution, as opposed to filling the screen or what have you. In other words, the difference between playing MLB 10: The Show on 16:9 and playing it on Just Scan is the resolution display, where you won't see any black borders in the 16:9 mode.

So how do developers look past this issue? They either allow the user to configure their own stretch settings (or might just give you a straight-up overscan option like Rock Band), or they'll auto-correct it themselves without the option. That being said, at least The Show 09 and 10 have slider options to stretch your screen and fit it correctly, and I have such a Samsung 720p LCD HDTV with a Just Scan mode where I must use these options to fill the screen.

When you're given the option to take snapshots of this game and save it onto the XMB, it's going to take the picture based on these resolution settings. So if you're playing your game in a 16:9 mode, even though you can't see the black borders, they really do exist "beyond the screen" unless you fill it yourself with the game's settings. This is why you'll see everyone's snapshots have black borders except mine, and maybe a few others... because unless you're playing with some sort of "Just Scan" option and you change the overscan settings yourself, the game will only be playing in its native 1280 x 720 pixels as opposed to a slightly overscanned 1368 x 768 pixels, even though your TV's zoom settings are technically doing that for you already.

So Russell's MLB 11 screenshots are grabbed from a 1368 x 768 source, like they always should be, only an overscan effect is taking place. This was either done by the manual settings that the game has always had, or they developed the game so that it automatically accomplishes this overscan without you knowing it. In a sense, if you're playing the game in 16:9 and not in "Just Scan" (I quote it because I don't know what other TV companies call this zoom option), you're actually losing that much image on the borders.

# 58 Skyboxer @ 12/15/10 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well, here's why they existed in the first place (and I'd like for Russell or anyone else in game designing to please correct me if none of this sounds right).

This game is developed in 720p, or a 1280 x 720 resolution. Any 720p LCD HDTV that you see on the market has a native resolution of 1368 x 768, which is partly the reason why a VGA input source might actually look a bit crisper than an HDMI input source because VGA can do a proper 1:1 output while HDMI must account over the extra pixels and perform an overscan to fill up the screen.

If you have an LCD like I do, especially if it's Samsung because I know they're mostly the same, check your picture resolution options and see what you find. You'll probably have 16:9, 4:3, maybe a Zoom 1 and Zoom 2, but you'll probably also have something called "Just Scan," which displays your image at what seems to be its native resolution, as opposed to filling the screen or what have you. In other words, the difference between playing MLB 10: The Show on 16:9 and playing it on Just Scan is the resolution display, where you won't see any black borders in the 16:9 mode.

So how do developers look past this issue? They either allow the user to configure their own stretch settings (or might just give you a straight-up overscan option like Rock Band), or they'll auto-correct it themselves without the option. That being said, at least The Show 09 and 10 have slider options to stretch your screen and fit it correctly, and I have such a Samsung 720p LCD HDTV with a Just Scan mode where I must use these options to fill the screen.

When you're given the option to take snapshots of this game and save it onto the XMB, it's going to take the picture based on these resolution settings. So if you're playing your game in a 16:9 mode, even though you can't see the black borders, they really do exist "beyond the screen" unless you fill it yourself with the game's settings. This is why you'll see everyone's snapshots have black borders except mine, and maybe a few others... because unless you're playing with some sort of "Just Scan" option and you change the overscan settings yourself, the game will only be playing in its native 1280 x 720 pixels as opposed to a slightly overscanned 1368 x 768 pixels, even though your TV's zoom settings are technically doing that for you already.

So Russell's MLB 11 screenshots are grabbed from a 1368 x 768 source, like they always should be, only an overscan effect is taking place. This was either done by the manual settings that the game has always had, or they developed the game so that it automatically accomplishes this overscan without you knowing it. In a sense, if you're playing the game in 16:9 and not in "Just Scan" (I quote it because I don't know what other TV companies call this zoom option), you're actually losing that much image on the borders.
Exactly what I was thinking....

eerie....

# 59 Oriolesmagic @ 12/15/10 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

Whooosh! Over my head...

# 60 Blzer @ 12/15/10 09:27 PM
Hahaha okay, later tonight I will record a video and show you exactly what I mean. I'll be clear.

Only problem is right now my roommate and his friends rented out the entire Twilight Saga and are busy watching those. They didn't even rent them on Blu-ray!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.