Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

MLB 11 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 11 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 ElroyJetson @ 12/27/10 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
yes. Typically companies will make you wait until the game is released before giving you the pre-order bonus, especially one such as this.

I also think that Amazon.com is doing the same deal.
Alright thanks, I would rather go through amazon, but there is a GS right next to my work so I'll probably just go there.

# 162 countryboy @ 12/27/10 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty199127
Alright thanks, I would rather go through amazon, but there is a GS right next to my work so I'll probably just go there.
n/p

And Amazon isn't doing the same deal, at least not from what I can tell.

# 163 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/27/10 07:33 PM
Quote:
n/p

And Amazon isn't doing the same deal, at least not from what I can tell.
I am trying to find out... would be unlike them to have GS only. I refuse to shop there personally.

Sent from the dugout using Tapatalk

# 164 countryboy @ 12/27/10 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I am trying to find out... would be unlike them to have GS only. I refuse to shop there personally.

at one point it was offered on Amazon, because my buddy checked to see and then, I thought, pre-ordered it from them, but he is telling me he didn't.

# 165 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/27/10 08:46 PM
Quote:
at one point it was offered on Amazon, because my buddy checked to see and then, I thought, pre-ordered it from them, but he is telling me he didn't.
I have personally never seen it offered on Amazon... that is why I have asked Ramone and ask earlier the week it went up for presale. But I think they were a little stagnant at getting the stadium bonus up as well last year, so my fingers are crossed this is the same effect.

I will find out though.

# 166 MomentOfTruth @ 12/30/10 11:01 PM
Even in 2011, PS2 still has life.

# 167 countryboy @ 12/30/10 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentOfTruth
Even in 2011, PS2 still has life.
huh?

# 168 michfan16 @ 12/30/10 11:25 PM
Quote:
huh?
i think he means that there is still mlb 11 for ps2

# 169 countryboy @ 12/31/10 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michfan16
i think he means that there is still mlb 11 for ps2
I guess. Not sure what he means/meant.

# 170 Blzer @ 01/03/11 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
I would guess MomentOfTruth means the square-shouldered, fire-hydrant-shaped player models from the PS2 years once again appear unchanged. And because the player models are tied to things like swing mechanics/animations and the over-sized strikezone, again from the game's PS2 years, it's a good guess all that remains unchanged as well. It's not a difficult question to understand as many of us have been anticipating and expecting changes to the game in these areas for three years now.
But that doesn't make sense. The main thing the developers have touted (with visual evidence) are the player model overhauls. And yes, with that will come more lifelike animations. Last year you would have had a case, this year not so much.

# 171 nemesis04 @ 01/03/11 09:17 AM
Quote:
All I've seen is the video in this thread, and to me the player models look almost the same as the previous years. The shoulders are too long and too square, and the majority of players' bodies are too squat.

I'm not talking about cosmetic tweaking of the player models, which may have happened. I'm referring to the dialogue the developers had on this forum a couple of years back, where they stated that creating all-new player models was a massive undertaking. Something about having to also re-write the code for the animations, the strikezone, and even the core gameplay itself. Yes, it appears the animations have been improved somewhat, both last year and this year. But it also looks like they haven't undertaken to rewrite what essentially is the core programming that was used back in the PS2 days. Which again is what I believe MomentOfTruth was talking about.

Go to page 1 and start the video up. Pause at the first frame or so where it shows Wilson on the mound. His body appears to be short and stumpy, and his shoulders are wide and square. That's an example of the PS2-style player models that were carried over to the PS3 version of the game back in 2007. And it appears they're still in the game this year. And if they're still in the game, it no doubt means the swing animations and over-sized strikezone are as well.
Here are two threads that do a model comparison of The Show 10 and the ones for 11:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...reenshots.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...batch-2-a.html

# 172 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/03/11 12:50 PM
Quote:
All I've seen is the video in this thread, and to me the player models look almost the same as the previous years. The shoulders are too long and too square, and the majority of players' bodies are too squat.

I'm not talking about cosmetic tweaking of the player models, which may have happened. I'm referring to the dialogue the developers had on this forum a couple of years back, where they stated that creating all-new player models was a massive undertaking. Something about having to also re-write the code for the animations, the strikezone, and even the core gameplay itself. Yes, it appears the animations have been improved somewhat, both last year and this year. But it also looks like they haven't undertaken to rewrite what essentially is the core programming that was used back in the PS2 days. Which again is what I believe MomentOfTruth was talking about.

Go to page 1 and start the video up. Pause at the first frame or so where it shows Wilson on the mound. His body appears to be short and stumpy, and his shoulders are wide and square. That's an example of the PS2-style player models that were carried over to the PS3 version of the game back in 2007. And it appears they're still in the game this year. And if they're still in the game, it no doubt means the swing animations and over-sized strikezone are as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Here are two threads that do a model comparison of The Show 10 and the ones for 11:

Agreed. If you do not see it in those comparisons, then you are refusing to see it. Plain and simple. Do not need to argue about this, this year. They are dead on to human proportions in real life. Case closed.

# 173 Blzer @ 01/03/11 01:20 PM
I think you are confused with the outside details and textures not changing (or being overhauled) with the inner undertakings. I won't say that these player models are perfect, but I will say that this is the overhaul they have been referring to and it is tenfold better. This game has strayed far enough away from its PS2 days now to make those accusations.

# 174 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/03/11 01:24 PM
Nothing in life is perfect Blzer. Even real life ballplayers don't look proportioned properly.

# 175 Blzer @ 01/03/11 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Nothing in life is perfect Blzer. Even real life ballplayers don't look proportioned properly.
I thought I wrote out the point that nothing is (though some are better than others haha). I guess I didn't write that... I was too ready to open a can o' whoop-*** on somebody talkin' smack about dem player models.

# 176 Chef Matt @ 01/03/11 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I always loved Vin Scully...
Ahh MLB Pennant Race. Back when I didn't care that I hit .439 and had 85 hrs and 200 rbi with Darryl Strawberry. Just pure ignorant baseball bliss.

# 177 JoeRyan33 @ 01/03/11 04:43 PM
They're still using those old player models?

# 178 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/03/11 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRyan33
They're still using those old player models?
Negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04

# 179 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/04/11 09:56 AM
Quote:
Rounding the shoulders off to eliminate the square-shouldered look is a nice improvement, yes. But JoeRyan is correct here, they're still the old player models. It's a cosmetic improvement, nothing more. The shoulders are still too wide, and the bodies are still too short and squat.

I looked through the comparison screenshots you provided and found it interesting that they generally only show closeups of the shoulders and an improvement to the roundness of the shoulders, but nothing else.
Incorrect.

They are brand new player models. The arms are also lengthened, and designed to provide a better range of movement. If you fail to see it, then I do not know what to tell you. But you can not be more wrong if you think it was just a "slight cosmetic" thing.

Fact of the matter, is they are an entirely new skeletal structure (model), and there wasn't much major that had to be changed. What do you people honestly expect? The human body comes in all shapes and sizes, and even in real life ball players do not look proportioned for argument's sake.

The screenshots shown are from those players who in real life do have broad shoulders... they are muscular men and look that way in real life. (Just like the picture of A Gon in my avatar, it is a real shot and broad shouldered) There is a shot of Jeter on the main site that shows a more slender model.

I am not going to sit idle and watch people discredit the player models. Not this year. Not again. They are new, and they look great.

# 180 Joey @ 01/04/11 10:22 AM
Uh, they only showed closeups of the shoulders? Are you sure you looked at all the screenshots? It has been said that the models are new, why wouldn't you believe them? If you can't see the difference in the full body shots (which there were some) then I guess you're just not going to see it.

Edit: Didn't mean to "pile on" to what Enigma said, as I hate to see things repeated again and again (although sometimes it may need to be). I had to step away from the CPU before I finished my post and didn't know he had already replied.

Quote:
Rounding the shoulders off to eliminate the square-shouldered look is a nice improvement, yes. But JoeRyan is correct here, they're still the old player models. It's a cosmetic improvement, nothing more. The shoulders are still too wide, and the bodies are still too short and squat.

I looked through the comparison screenshots you provided and found it interesting that they generally only show closeups of the shoulders and an improvement to the roundness of the shoulders, but nothing else.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.