Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

IGN has just posted their MLB 11 The Show preview. They talk about the new analog controls, balks and more control.

Quote:
"The Show 11 features analog control for batting, pitching and fielding, which basically means every major mechanic in the game is controllable with the right analog stick. For batting, you'll pull back the right stick to begin the backswing and then push it forward to swing through a pitch. You can angle the stick to the left or the right to handle inside and outside pitches, while the game will automatically adjust to pitch height for you. To check swing, just let off the stick before pushing it all the way up.

Pitching works like a combination of batting and fielding. You'll still pick the pitch type with face buttons then use a cursor to adjust pitch location. Once you're ready to throw, you'll set and go into your windup by pulling back on the stick and then push it forward, either favoring the left of the right side of the plate to shade the pitch a little more. Setting before you pitch is more important in The Show 11. Sony has included balks for the first time in the series, so don't try to quick pitch with runners on base."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Pared @ 12/16/10 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigadkc
no, but it don't like when things are automatical. I wanna do it on my own.
Again, this is a very close-minded approach.

You might end up trying it and realizing you enjoy it more so than anything else you've ever tried.

Give it a shot. If you don't like it, then decide why. But don't go in with your mind made up already. It's a big problem here and why video game devs have issues innovating.

# 62 gigadkc @ 12/16/10 04:27 PM
will FZH only work with button controls or will this also work using the sticks? Or hasn't that been announced yet? FZH should be similar to PYS's cursor system, right? Would be awesome if you could use the sticks AND have FZH.

# 63 Joey @ 12/16/10 04:29 PM
Russell posted last night that FZH was with the buttons.

Quote:
will FZH only work with button controls or will this also work using the sticks? Or hasn't that been announced yet? FZH should be similar to PYS's cursor system, right? Would be awesome if you could use the sticks AND have FZH.

# 64 gigadkc @ 12/16/10 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Again, this is a very close-minded approach.

You might end up trying it and realizing you enjoy it more so than anything else you've ever tried.

Give it a shot. If you don't like it, then decide why. But don't go in with your mind made up already. It's a big problem here and why video game devs have issues innovating.
don't get me wrong: it's okay to have that in the game as an option for beginners, but where's the problem to control the height of your bat yourself? Control the height with your left stick like we already do using the button controls and use the right stick for the bat itself. Maybe IGN was wrong and it is already possible. I mean that shouldn't be a big deal at all to have that in the game.

# 65 nemesis04 @ 12/16/10 04:37 PM
Quote:
don't get me wrong: it's okay to have that in the game as an option for beginners, but where's the problem to control the height of your bat yourself? Control the height with your left stick like we already do using the button controls and use the right stick for the bat itself. Maybe IGN was wrong and it is already possible. I mean that shouldn't be a big deal at all to have that in the game.
That would be pretty tough to pull off. Aim with the left stick and simultaneously develop a rhythm for swinging with the right stick. The majority would struggle with this!

# 66 Russell_SCEA @ 12/16/10 04:39 PM
Quote:
"You can angle the stick to the left or the right to handle inside and outside pitches, while the game will AUTOMATICALLY adjust to pitch height for you."

meh. Isn't that way too easy then? And what about popups and chops? Does the game read my mind to know if I want to hit a high flyball or a Baltimore chop? I get a feeling that they'll only put that feature in the game so u can use a Move-Controller

PYS's hitting system will be king in 2011 again I guess. I hope The Show 2011 will prove me wrong.

Actually its the opposite during the prototype stage we learned if you had to adjust for pitch's up in the zone and down in the zone it made hitting all extremely difficult. It just wasn't fun.

We dynamically calculate high and low based on many factors. (Wait for the blog on "Pure Analog batting") If you want to hit a fly ball just swing influence up. Ground balls swing influence down etc.........

Our version of analog batting makes you stride and swing for all swing types regular, contact, and power. You must also swing towards the side of the plate (or down the middle) to make contact with the ball. You can't just press forward this is paramount and exaggerated as you increase the difficulty level you are playing on.

# 67 Pared @ 12/16/10 04:46 PM
Quote:
The hitting right now defaults to the center of the strike zone. If it didn't, what you suggested may be possible.

But that's not how it works in The Show. What you're asking for wouldn't be "fun" for a majority of people. The game already has plenty of checks and balances in place for those that can excel and those that do poorly. That solution wouldn't be a solid alternative.

Right now there are multiple options in how you approach batting. I think they offer enough choices that you will find something you can enjoy. However, if you're hung up on "X game does it this way and this is the best way to do it," then we'll never get anywhere with this discussion.

# 68 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/16/10 04:47 PM
Quote:
Have you ever played baseball? When is the last time you thought about the height of the bat? You don't, you swing and the bat is typically in the general area of the ball. Its called hand eye coordination. I feel that any MLB player has decent enough hand eye coordination to know where the ball is going as far as height just by reacting. The hard part is if its going to strike or ball, in or away, and timing

These things are the things that I believe are actually in your control (as far as having to actually think of it). So I think MLB is not too far off in their thinking. I am also not saying this will or will not working perfectly, but I like the thought process.

Yes you take low/high balls. But when you actually decide to swing its almost automatic where the bat goes proportional to the height of the bat.

# 69 gigadkc @ 12/16/10 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
That would be pretty tough to pull off. Aim with the left stick and simultaneously develop a rhythm for swinging with the right stick. The majority would struggle with this!
that may be true but then you could have the help for the height as an option in the game. Hardcore gamers would absolutely love it to control height and bat, at least I would. If they include that then The Show has pretty much every feature I could ask for. We'll see what happens, I'll buy The Show anyway

# 70 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/16/10 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Actually its the opposite during the prototype stage we learned if you had to adjust for pitch's up in the zone and down in the zone it made hitting all extremely difficult. It just wasn't fun.

We dynamically calculate high and low based on many factors. (Wait for the blog on "Pure Analog batting") If you want to hit a fly ball just swing influence up. Ground balls swing influence down etc.........

Our version of analog batting makes you stride and swing for all swing types regular, contact, and power. You must also swing towards the side of the plate (or down the middle) to make contact with the ball. You can't just press forward this is paramount and exaggerated as you increase the difficulty level you are playing on.
Delicious info! Thanks.

# 71 Skyboxer @ 12/16/10 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Have you tried it yet? At least give it a chance before you start the complaints.

Geez. Do people go searching for things to complain about each year?
You know the answer is yes. I just ignore the Debbie downers....

What I love is how no matter how you any to play you can play that way.... Add custom cameras and it's like being a chef in a baseball kitchen.

# 72 gigadkc @ 12/16/10 04:58 PM
Quote:

thanks for that answer, Russell. I really appreciate that.

btw: the only reason why I'm so sceptical/critical is because I love The Show THAT much.

# 73 TeixeiraFanatic @ 12/16/10 04:58 PM
Quote:

Hey Russell, when do the blogs begin? Can we expect it to be like last year with once a week and the occasional two a week?

# 74 JayD @ 12/16/10 05:03 PM
Hopefully with this new fielding system we'll actually see outfielder errors!

# 75 Russell_SCEA @ 12/16/10 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
Hey Russell, when do the blogs begin? Can we expect it to be like last year with once a week and the occasional two a week?
Pretty much

# 76 gigadkc @ 12/16/10 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Have you ever played baseball? When is the last time you thought about the height of the bat? You don't, you swing and the bat is typically in the general area of the ball. Its called hand eye coordination. I feel that any MLB player has decent enough hand eye coordination to know where the ball is going as far as height just by reacting. The hard part is if its going to strike or ball, in or away, and timing

These things are the things that I believe are actually in your control (as far as having to actually think of it). So I think MLB is not too far off in their thinking. I am also not saying this will or will not working perfectly, but I like the thought process.

Yes you take low/high balls. But when you actually decide to swing its almost automatic where the bat goes proportional to the height of the bat.
have I ever played baseball? tbh no. I live in Germany and you'll barely find people to play that wonderful game. Can u believe that nobody living in "my world" knows Derek Jeter or Babe Ruth? Horrible.

# 77 Heroesandvillains @ 12/16/10 05:11 PM
There's so much to digest here.

Russell, everyone at SCEA...

Thank you enormously.

BTW, I see what you mean about removing the left stick part of analog hitting. Kinda like rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. Good call.

# 78 PVarck31 @ 12/16/10 05:13 PM
I have a question for anyone who might have read it, or for someone with the team. With the analog throwing for fielding, the guy from IGN mentioned you had to pre-load your analog throw. I wasn't sure if he meant that you do it as the player is fielding the ball or before the ball gets to the fielder. If its the latter, I can't help but feel that it is a little counter-intuitive.

Just in my opinion, I like the feel that I am actually making the throwing motion when I have the ball in my hand, so to speak.

I was just wondering if anyone might be able to clear this up for me.

# 79 Heroesandvillains @ 12/16/10 05:24 PM
When I used to play infield (SS, and then moved to 2B after taking a year off...), my coaches relentlessly made us work on the mental aspects of where to throw the baseball, BEFORE the ball was even put in play.

In X situation, if the ball is hit to you quickly, but to your left; throw the ball to base A.

In Y situation, if the ball is hit to you slowly, but to your right; throw the ball to base B.

I love the pre-loading idea. Infielders, especially, know exactly where the ball needs to go as soon as lumber touches ball.

Add the fact that The Show has beautiful animations, and this pre-load stuff makes even that much more sense. It's a very nice addition to next years game, and I can't wait to try it out.

# 80 PVarck31 @ 12/16/10 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
When I used to play infield (SS, and then moved to 2B after taking a year off...), my coaches relentlessly made us work on the mental aspects of where to throw the baseball, BEFORE the ball was even put in play.

In X situation, if the ball is hit to you quickly, but to your left; throw the ball to base A.

In Y situation, if the ball is hit to you slowly, but to your right; throw the ball to base B.

I love the pre-loading idea. Infielders, especially, know exactly where the ball needs to go as soon as lumber touches ball.

Add the fact that The Show has beautiful animations, and this pre-load stuff makes even that much more sense. It's a very nice addition to next years game, and I can't wait to try it out.
I get what you are saying, but the whole thing about analog throwing is that it should simulate you, throwing the ball. If you have to do it before you field the ball it takes a little away from that. JMO though.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.