Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

IGN has just posted their MLB 11 The Show preview. They talk about the new analog controls, balks and more control.

Quote:
"The Show 11 features analog control for batting, pitching and fielding, which basically means every major mechanic in the game is controllable with the right analog stick. For batting, you'll pull back the right stick to begin the backswing and then push it forward to swing through a pitch. You can angle the stick to the left or the right to handle inside and outside pitches, while the game will automatically adjust to pitch height for you. To check swing, just let off the stick before pushing it all the way up.

Pitching works like a combination of batting and fielding. You'll still pick the pitch type with face buttons then use a cursor to adjust pitch location. Once you're ready to throw, you'll set and go into your windup by pulling back on the stick and then push it forward, either favoring the left of the right side of the plate to shade the pitch a little more. Setting before you pitch is more important in The Show 11. Sony has included balks for the first time in the series, so don't try to quick pitch with runners on base."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Skyboxer @ 12/23/10 11:31 PM
I'd love to see them add or should I say tweak the physics to have where slow dribblers can change direction...(ie.. rolling foul but hit the grass area and filter back fair.. etc... )never seen that yet.

# 162 Blzer @ 12/24/10 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I'd love to see them add or should I say tweak the physics to have where slow dribblers can change direction...(ie.. rolling foul but hit the grass area and filter back fair.. etc... )never seen that yet.
Ooo speaking of which, there hasn't been any word on redone ball-on-ground physics. Last year they turned the knob a little too low and the ball was bouncing around everywhere. I wouldn't mind so much if that's how it bounced on dirt, but on grass it's a whole different animal. They did it so that balls could get past infielders and outfielders appropriately, but it practically messed up everything else.

Of course that would mean a major overhaul. They would also have to incorporate different ball spins and what they would mean, how the ball hits off padded walls versus brick, even turf has to be different from natural grass, etc. It wouldn't be fair for me or anyone to expect too much from them, but anything we get would be a path in the right direction!

# 163 Polo Bandit @ 12/24/10 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Well the colission was detected when a ball hit the pitcher, the only problem was they never got injured. It only ended in the neverending quote "And he stays in the game after that! What a gamer!" hahaha.
I wouldn't have a problem with this causing injury, but only if it is toned down. I seemed to have a pitcher get hit in the shoulder or leg by a line drive at least twice per game.

# 164 ChaseB @ 12/26/10 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo Bandit
I wouldn't have a problem with this causing injury, but only if it is toned down. I seemed to have a pitcher get hit in the shoulder or leg by a line drive at least twice per game.
Yeah, I concur with this.

# 165 Heroesandvillains @ 12/26/10 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo Bandit
I just think more of the comebackers could be fielded cleanly. This could minimize the pitcher getting drilled too.

It's a rare thing for a pitcher to get his glove on a comebacker. I wonder if it's just me?

# 166 nemesis04 @ 12/26/10 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I just think more of the comebackers could be fielded cleanly. This could minimize the pitcher getting drilled too.

It's a rare thing for a pitcher to get his glove on a comebacker. I wonder if it's just me?
A big problem imo is there are not too many specific pitcher fielding animations on balls hit directly to them. I think if there are more for different types of hits, this area of the game would get cleaned up dramatically. Also, like they had batters reacting when hit with the ball last year, that still needs to be implemented for the pitcher.

# 167 Heroesandvillains @ 12/26/10 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
A big problem imo is there are not too many specific pitcher fielding animations on balls hit directly to them. I think if there are more for different types of hits, this area of the game would get cleaned up dramatically. Also, like they had batters reacting when hit with the ball last year, that still needs to be implemented for the pitcher.
I know what you mean. The pitcher gets walloped, and sort of acts unphased. Good idea with additional animations.

The power slider (also, the influence of the Default power slider) also seems to play a role in this to me. When I was using the meter on HOF (Default Power), I really can't remember ever knocking a comebacker down...let alone field it.

On AS pitching, using Classic (Default Power), I'm seeing quite a few comebackers where the pitcher actully starts the 1-3 force.

On HOF, most of those would end up as singles up the middle.

Again, this may just be me.

# 168 countryboy @ 12/26/10 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
I know what you mean.

Nothing like seeing a line drive bounce off the face of the pitcher and he throw the runner out. And then the injury cutscene plays and you realize your pitcher has injured his arm somehow. LOL

yes that happend to Jaime Garcia in my franchise.

And here's to hoping the hockey goalie pitchers have been corrected.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.