Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

IGN has just posted some new details on Fight Night Champion, focusing on Build a Champion and Create Your Legacy modes.

Quote:
"Hayes promises Legacy Mode is greatly improved. "Legacy Mode is the only place you can go to create a boxer and fight your way through the division rankings, trying to become a champion, a Hall-of-Famer or potentially the Greatest Of All Time," he told IGN.

You'll notice the difference the moment you step into the ring as an amateur. There's now authentic amateur gear and scoring, which should help that first year of development fell less like the beginning of a Karate Kid movie and more like the real deal.

Unlike Legacy Mode, which has you create your own fighter from scratch and guide his career and development, Champion Mode is a scripted story. Following the career of up-and-comer Andre Bishop, Champion Mode offers something totally new for the Fight Night franchise – a character with a personality, a background, a family, and believable emotions.

Hayes described the story for IGN: "Andre is an outstanding boxing talent. He and his younger brother Raymond are trained by Gus Carisi. Gus used to train their father, who was also a promising boxer at one time. Andre has tremendous potential and DL McQueen, a promoter, is bent on controlling his career. Andre and Gus aren't interested in working with McQueen and the story centers around the struggles Andre faces trying to reach his potential with a variety of obstacles thrown in his way."

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Vast @ 12/21/10 09:45 PM
Looks interesting.

But as a hardcore boxing fan, I would've loved to have seen this type of drama and emotion somehow merged into Legacy mode.

# 2 dannyr326 @ 12/21/10 10:18 PM
Looks pretty sick.

# 3 dnr720 @ 12/21/10 11:40 PM
Looks awesome. Going to enjoy the added element Champion brings

# 4 bmgoff11 @ 12/21/10 11:58 PM
starting to get really interested in this game

# 5 fistofrage @ 12/22/10 12:30 AM
Prizefighter II with TPC.......

# 6 LilLowe @ 12/22/10 12:36 AM
the story looks like it has a lot more substance than Prizefighter. i'm looking forward to this.

# 7 Phobia @ 12/22/10 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
Its gonna be great, my goodness its gonna be great. I'm drooling thinking about this **** lol. What was that stated earlier? They have two types of stamina aerobic and anaerobic (spell check that one lol) I'm knockin jaws loose when this game releases.
Me to creep. I am feigning for the game again

# 8 BezO @ 12/22/10 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Looks interesting.

But as a hardcore boxing fan, I would've loved to have seen this type of drama and emotion somehow merged into Legacy mode.
Exactly! Why have 2 modes that now need work? Andre Bishop could've just been a selectable boxer in legacy mode.

# 9 Hova57 @ 12/22/10 12:50 PM
i like it but would rather see my own guy go through the motion of that. I may play it as long as I have control over his type of training what type of boxer i want him to become. So if I want to make him a slugger instead of a boxer hopefully the story changes up some.

# 10 1WEiRDguy @ 12/22/10 01:11 PM
yea...im confused...so is that a standalone mode? Or can my CAF do that as well?

# 11 Phobia @ 12/22/10 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
i like it but would rather see my own guy go through the motion of that. I may play it as long as I have control over his type of training what type of boxer i want him to become. So if I want to make him a slugger instead of a boxer hopefully the story changes up some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WEiRDguy
yea...im confused...so is that a standalone mode? Or can my CAF do that as well?
Yes it is two stand alone modes.

We asked and knew the community would have issues with not allowing CAF or your own boxer into the story. EA already thought of this and was stuck having to make a decision.

If they wanted to have a true "movie" like story they would have to have all the characters in that story to be EA made characters. Because it would be extremely out of place if the whole story was set in "the hood", you have a black momma, black brother, and then you have some user created white as paper nerd looking boxer. It would throw the whole immersion out the window.

So instead EA made the tough decision to bring in real actors (You guys will know some of them). Also had a Hollywood writer, write the story. So to keep it all together they just created all the characters.

Guys I am not joking, the parts we got to play were soooo damn cool. I was so pumped to see this included in the game. We have never had the pleasure of having a "GTA IV" style story in a sports game. I wanted to play the entire story while I was there.

The best part is, it does not take away from the game in any way. It is just a extra addition. Another words everyone will still play their legacy and online, but they can also play through this single player story mode. They wanted to try something completely new. All I know is it had me very excited!!!

# 12 Jukeman @ 12/22/10 02:25 PM
no wonder why the guy is from prison...

This company never fails to amaze me.

# 13 Phobia @ 12/22/10 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
no wonder why the guy is from prison...

This company never fails to amaze me.
Why? I don't understand. Because I was not explaining the story. I was just using a example of how it would contrast with created fighters.

# 14 Jukeman @ 12/22/10 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Why? I don't understand. Because I was not explaining the story. I was just using a example of how it would contrast with created fighters.
I am referring to the trailer

Stereotypical and unoriginal...

Seen same concepts movies on BET...

# 15 Money99 @ 12/22/10 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Looks interesting.

Bingo.

Hearing that it's completely linear doesn't excite me. It makes me think that we'll always suffer a cut, or a loss, or knockdown, regardless of how good or bad we are.

I'd love to have a Legacy Mode where we weave the storyline and the dramatic cutscenes.

I also hope that we can spar as much as we want leading up to fights. I can't tell you how bored I am with the "hit the bags/skip rope/lift weights/spar now distribute points" system.
Why can't we have an actual training camp where we decide what's done leading into a fight?
If I want my guy to spar 200 rounds before a bout (and the benefits/consequences as such), I should be able to do it.

# 16 Phobia @ 12/22/10 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
I am referring to the trailer

Stereotypical and unoriginal...

Seen same concepts movies on BET...
Yea I can see that.

# 17 fistofrage @ 12/22/10 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Bingo.

Hearing that it's completely linear doesn't excite me. It makes me think that we'll always suffer a cut, or a loss, or knockdown, regardless of how good or bad we are.

I'd love to have a Legacy Mode where we weave the storyline and the dramatic cutscenes.

I also hope that we can spar as much as we want leading up to fights. I can't tell you how bored I am with the "hit the bags/skip rope/lift weights/spar now distribute points" system.
Why can't we have an actual training camp where we decide what's done leading into a fight?
If I want my guy to spar 200 rounds before a bout (and the benefits/consequences as such), I should be able to do it.
If you have to fight a guy that blinds you somehow or fight injured or face a steroid monster, I'm screaming foul.

It may turn out to be very cool, but honestly I would much rather create my own stroy moving up the rankings, etc. It would be better if some random matchups created a story in itslef. Lets say you have 250 boxers in each weight class. You choose to fight random guy 147 and that triggers an event where this or that happens. Nothing over the top but things that can effect your short term ratings positively or negatively or unlocks some unconventional type training events.

# 18 Money99 @ 12/22/10 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
If you have to fight a guy that blinds you somehow or fight injured or face a steroid monster, I'm screaming foul.

It may turn out to be very cool, but honestly I would much rather create my own stroy moving up the rankings, etc. It would be better if some random matchups created a story in itslef. Lets say you have 250 boxers in each weight class. You choose to fight random guy 147 and that triggers an event where this or that happens. Nothing over the top but things that can effect your short term ratings positively or negatively or unlocks some unconventional type training events.
Yeah, that'd be cool. Like say you lost because of a foul that wasn't caught by the ref.
If both you and that opponent become ranked, it would be an instant rivalry.

Considering I haven't played this mode, I don't have a right to rag on it. I didn't like the sounds of HUT (Hockey Ultimate Team) for NHL 11 but after playing it, it really grew on me.
So maybe it'll be the same with this. It might be something fun to play with outside the Legacy Mode.

The only thing that concerns me is that with the team using so much time and resources on a linear aspect, they could have really spruced up the Legacy Mode to include stables of fighters or maybe a whole Managerial Mode.

I'm still looking forward to FNC though. It's going to be a long wait till March.

# 19 fistofrage @ 12/22/10 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Yeah, that'd be cool. Like say you lost because of a foul that wasn't caught by the ref.
If both you and that opponent become ranked, it would be an instant rivalry.

Considering I haven't played this mode, I don't have a right to rag on it. I didn't like the sounds of HUT (Hockey Ultimate Team) for NHL 11 but after playing it, it really grew on me.
So maybe it'll be the same with this. It might be something fun to play with outside the Legacy Mode.

The only thing that concerns me is that with the team using so much time and resources on a linear aspect, they could have really spruced up the Legacy Mode to include stables of fighters or maybe a whole Managerial Mode.

I'm still looking forward to FNC though. It's going to be a long wait till March.
There was really no need for this mode. It just points to the fact that Career mode is much less than it could been. Also the story has real actors(some we've allegedly heard of) and a Hollywood writer. That probably cost the same as get 30 to 50 more up and comer real boxers.

We had Prizefighter. A story mode boxing game already, what we have never had is a boxing game with a robust ranking system and multiple user career modes. In my opinion this is they worst direction the game could have gone.

So the wait is a little shorter for me. I'll pick it up next fall after the summer as I try to be outside as much as possible in the summer.

It will be more of a purchase for Fight Now when people come over on Boxing nights as I am sure the career mode will be same as its always been. Have fun fighting the guy who gives you blurry vision or the cheap shot artist.

# 20 Phobia @ 12/22/10 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
There was really no need for this mode. It just points to the fact that Career mode is much less than it could been. Also the story has real actors(some we've allegedly heard of) and a Hollywood writer. That probably cost the same as get 30 to 50 more up and comer real boxers.

We had Prizefighter. A story mode boxing game already, what we have never had is a boxing game with a robust ranking system and multiple user career modes. In my opinion this is they worst direction the game could have gone.

So the wait is a little shorter for me. I'll pick it up next fall after the summer as I try to be outside as much as possible in the summer.

It will be more of a purchase for Fight Now when people come over on Boxing nights as I am sure the career mode will be same as its always been. Have fun fighting the guy who gives you blurry vision or the cheap shot artist.
You can have that outlook on the game. But honestly I can't wait for it. I thought it was fun as all hell. So it might not meet your expectations, I think the changes they made to the gameplay are excellent.

Don't take this the wrong way because it is not directed at you fist. Just in general.

I think everyone needs to judge the game based on their own wants, requirements, and likes. I think it is silly judging a game based off your "feeling".

Many people judged APF and never tried it because it did not have NFL teams. But the guys who did try it realized it was one of the best "gameplay" football games in a while.

Basically I am saying, while it might not have everything you would like. Judge the gameplay when it comes to see if you like the game. Don't write it off before playing it.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.