Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Gamasutra has some new info on the lawsuit.

Quote:
"A U.S. district judge has certified a class-action anti-trust lawsuit against Electronic Arts that alleges the company illegally inflated prices for its football titles after attaining exclusive rights to league licenses.

In a 67-page complaint [PDF], the legal team specifically cites the 2004 pricing battle between Sega and Take-Two's NFL2K5, which retailed for just $19.95, and EA's Madden NFL 2005, which was lowered from a $49.95 asking price to $29.95 in November of that year.

A month after this price decrease, EA signed its exclusive licensing deal with the NFL, following with similar deals for the NCAA and Arena Football leagues in later months. The next year's Madden NFL 2006 faced no competition in the football game market at its usual $49.95 price point."

Gamespot chimes in as well.

Quote:
"We believe EA forced consumers to pay an artificial premium on Madden NFL video games" Berman continued. "We intend to prove that EA could inflate prices on their sports titles because these exclusive licenses restrained trade and competition for interactive sports software."

What do you think happens, out of all this?

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 bergie56 @ 11/07/13 07:54 PM
I got mine today for $128. Definitely almost threw it away. Dumb question but is the check made out of really thick paper? The back is the front of the card. Is that right or do I need to separate it?

# 202 pagkerguy8 @ 11/07/13 08:19 PM
got home today and my dad asked me if i knew anything about this "check thingy" that came in the mail(since we both have the same first name).............looked at it and saw electronic arts so had to do a google search for what it was about, after reading i was like oh now i remember that

back when i 1st filled out the form it was "only" 50-60 dollars if anything came so i quickly forgot about it and today i get a check for 174.66.....SWEET!!!!!!!!

one of the articles i looked at said 3 times fewer people signed up then they were expecting to,so thanks everyone that didnt sign up

# 203 Kayotick @ 11/08/13 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagkerguy8
got home today and my dad asked me if i knew anything about this "check thingy" that came in the mail(since we both have the same first name).............looked at it and saw electronic arts so had to do a google search for what it was about, after reading i was like oh now i remember that

back when i 1st filled out the form it was "only" 50-60 dollars if anything came so i quickly forgot about it and today i get a check for 174.66.....SWEET!!!!!!!!

one of the articles i looked at said 3 times fewer people signed up then they were expecting to,so thanks everyone that didnt sign up
I got a check in the mail today for $76, didn't even notice it. My wife was like WTF is this. I soon as I saw it I knew what it was. I didn't realize it was going to be so much. Not sure how others were getting $174 but good for you guys.

# 204 zeroice @ 11/08/13 08:26 AM
i got my second check? dont know how? got one for 50 well 48.60? and the other for 74 and change? go figure? Ill take it. Guess alot didnt sign up. .. Maybe ill put it away for the xbox one and ps4 discount fund lol By the way good job Stanford on beating the ducks. They almost relaxed too much in the end.

# 205 zeroice @ 11/08/13 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie56
I got mine today for $128. Definitely almost threw it away. Dumb question but is the check made out of really thick paper? The back is the front of the card. Is that right or do I need to separate it?
You cant separate it lol.. it says its a real check in the corner.. sign the back and cash it.

# 206 Smoke6 @ 11/08/13 08:36 AM
Dang, I havent got anything yet lol, I been buying all their sports titles for yrs and even got the letter about all this and returned it wanting to participate in this. Hope it comes this weekend, my PS4 set up and TV will benefit from this!

Congrats to those who got paid!

# 207 JaymeeAwesome @ 11/08/13 12:29 PM
Got mine, almost $100 because I didn't buy any NCAA games.

# 208 dubplate @ 11/08/13 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroice
i got my second check? dont know how? got one for 50 well 48.60? and the other for 74 and change? go figure? Ill take it. Guess alot didnt sign up. .. Maybe ill put it away for the xbox one and ps4 discount fund lol By the way good job Stanford on beating the ducks. They almost relaxed too much in the end.
I got a check for $48.60 today as well. Crossing my fingers for that second check.

# 209 dubplate @ 11/08/13 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It was based on the number of titles you claimed purchased.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I claimed everyone as I purchase both every year and I only got $48.60.

# 210 mestevo @ 11/08/13 09:32 PM
$87 for me. I didn't really start buying them until 2005 or so

# 211 kjcheezhead @ 11/08/13 09:59 PM
110.73 for me. Love unexpected money before Christmas.

# 212 chops44 @ 11/08/13 11:35 PM
Got mine today $87.54.

I hope there's a second coming.

# 213 bigbob @ 11/08/13 11:53 PM
Kind of wish I wouldn't have forgotten about the claim filing and did it. I probably would have ended up in the higher end of the payout because I have every Madden, NCAA and both Arena Football Games that would have fallen under the lawsuit.

# 214 Dos_Santos @ 11/09/13 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowld
Still havent gotten mine. Does anyone know if there is a website or phone number we can use to check status?
Anyone know?

I am positive I filled it out and submitted.

# 215 prey2god @ 11/09/13 01:59 AM
They sent me $125!

# 216 BattleBornLV @ 11/09/13 03:39 PM
Got one for 37.92

# 217 BigD @ 11/09/13 05:23 PM
Mine came today for $87. Will certainly use it to purchase any non EA game.

# 218 TreFacTor @ 11/11/13 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
$87 for me. I didn't really start buying them until 2005 or so

Same...87.00 Although I've bought the game since the beginning...I didn't feel right claiming copies I bought but gave away so I only claimed the ones I kept and the suit only covered from 05 anyway.

# 219 Cardot @ 11/11/13 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroice
Seems like everyone is getting different amounts. Figured they would spread it out equally. guess not lol.. Maybe it was based on the time you got in on the petition. so many folks lol
Per the Website:
Valid claims for the purchase of Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football videogames for the Xbox, PlayStation 2, PC, or GameCube platforms (“Sixth Generation Purchasers”) will be valued at $20.37 per new game purchased, up to a total of eight units ($162.96).

Valid claims for the purchase of Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football videogames for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or Wii platforms (“Seventh Generation Purchasers”) will be valued at $5.85 per new game purchased, up to a total of eight units ($46.80).

# 220 chelios7 @ 11/13/13 06:31 PM
Im assuming that my check is lost in the mail. I called the Gillardi & Co and they said it was mailed on the 31st. Awesome. Thank you USPS.

I called today and got the info I needed to request a new check to be sent out. Im sure that wont take long...lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.