Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Chef Matt @ 01/02/11 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Seems like the type of laid back throw anything out there attitude that EA loves.
I know it's sad. I do want an upgrade don't get me wrong and of course realistic movement and punch effects would be welcomed. But I care more about getting rid of things like counter windows and haymakers. Either way though I'll have it day one.

Madden on the other hand I haven't bought in 5 years....but there's a forum for that....

# 22 JayBee74 @ 01/02/11 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdad
I know it's sad. I do want an upgrade don't get me wrong and of course realistic movement and punch effects would be welcomed. But I care more about getting rid of things like counter windows and haymakers. Either way though I'll have it day one.
I hear ya'. The absence of counter windows and haymakers is a big plus.

# 23 humaca80 @ 01/02/11 10:29 PM
Quote:
I hear ya'. The absence of counter windows and haymakers is a big plus.

IMO this looks like no improvement at all....

# 24 Hova57 @ 01/03/11 08:39 AM
Apparently their is a movie called Fight Night I didn't watch it last night, but I believe this is where the story mode is taken from reading the previews for the movie.

# 25 Vast @ 01/03/11 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
I can see why dedicated fight fans are not going to be happy. But I have to admit, the gameplay just works for me on a videogame level. This does look pretty much like FN 3.75, as the last game felt like FN 3.5.

There does not seem to be a new engine or even a new approach to the boxers' movement. I really don't know how well the games sell, but they usually get my money. But then, I rarely watch much boxing on TV.

There was a time during the 90's in which I watched a decent amount, and had a couple of friends that bought every pay-per-view as long as the rest of us brought beer and food. Those were some good times. But not good enough to draw me back when I moved.

I suspect I am like a lot of EA's customers, in that I like having a boxing game to pull out every now and then. for that, it does the trick. But I am not looking for a sim, at all.
then whats the point of buying a new game? Do you have 60$ burning a whole in your pocket, and can't figure anything else to spend it on??

You dont want a sim. cool, then go buy ready to rumble boxing, or facebreaker, or fight night 1-4. All we have are arcade boxing games.. All of them! none of them are sim.
Can we get some love for once!?

# 26 Vast @ 01/03/11 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
Man FN4 is as sim as you want it to be. Just implement specific restrictions and use a little bit of imagination is all.
No. It is not sim at all. I was in denial at first and thought it was.

1st. you can't knock someone out until you drop them a few times.
2nd. punches have very little impact(power).
3rd. footwork is terrible
4th. counter window is unrealistic
5th. bell rung state is awful and feels like you're walking in quicksand.
6th. there are around like 3 fighter styles for the computer A.I. (1****sh, 2****n, and 3.counter everything).

I think the engine has great potential. The new game adds what should've been in FN4.
1 punch KO's(1st UFC game had this). Signature style(NBA2k7 had tons of it). Individual punch ratings(Madden 92 had player ratings. 16 years later we still didn't have a boxing game that had in depth player ratings!)

Thats about it. Another barely improved Legacy mode, and a story mode.

# 27 Vast @ 01/03/11 02:52 PM
Quote:
Well, I really didn't like Rumble or Facebreaker, at all. I like an arcade boxer that pretends to be sim. For the masses, Fight Night does a great job of that. FN 4 was better than 3, If this version is even better, why would be a waste of my money to buy it?

And when I say better, I mean in the terms of what I want in a game. EA is trying to create a game for a different market than the sim guys here represent. What the sim guys want is either beyond EA's capabilities to program, beyond their allocated budget based on the sales they could generate, or not nearly as fun as their larger market would want it to be.
I think the criticisms of Fight Night have been accurate. I think the expectations are not realistic. Maybe I'm just too old, and see this generation sports games as beyond anything I would have dreamed of back when I got an Atari for Christmas. And for boxing in particular, fight Night has been insanely awesome, when I consider what passed for boxing on SNES and the Dreamcast.

So, I hope it continues to improve, but I have a hard time dinging them for what they have accomplished so far.
Have you played NBA 2k11?? That game has set the bar. The most realistic basketball game ever also happens to be the best selling. Look at that! Who woudl've thought? You can also customize it to be arcade as well.

I hate to tell you but Realistic equals fun. Arcade also equals fun. Why not have both?
Why ignore your most vocal group of supporters??

The NBA2k11 team listened to its fans, and thats why its a huge success. EA would also be out of the football business if it didn't monopolize NFL Football. 2k football would've wiped Madden out of business the same way Elite is down the tubes in basketball.

VC listens to their fans, EA does a pretty poor job of it. imo

# 28 Jukeman @ 01/03/11 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Apparently their is a movie called Fight Night I didn't watch it last night, but I believe this is where the story mode is taken from reading the previews for the movie.

You can look at any "fight" movie script and believe that is where EA got the story from...

I mean look at those Undisputed movies for example....

Like I said in another thread, The Story (from watching the previews and trailers) looks no different from a 8:00 movie on BET...

And it doesnt even have to be about boxing, its the same concept and plot...

Super unoriginal...

EA Sports needs to start setting the bar like it did in the 90s

/Rant

I'll be looking forward to boxing against "Randy Orton" tho

NSFW

To sum it up because this can go on forever (hollywood is unoriginal also) I'll end it with this....

# 29 DaveDQ @ 01/03/11 05:31 PM
I'll add one...

# 30 Vast @ 01/03/11 09:21 PM
Quote:
As a fan of baseball and hockey games, I can tell you that trying to call out one developer/publisher over another is kind of pointless.

I can also tell you that there is a ton of completely unrealistic gameplay in NBA 2K11. But they focused on what they could do, and what would drive sales.

I think Tiger woods dramatically improved gameplay for guys that want a more sim experience, but saw a massive drop in sales, as well as a ton of negativity over it.

I will agree with you that EA's titles have almost universally had below average presentation. Luckily, 2K is so good at this, they produced Don King Boxing. Yay!

I don't think the fans are wrong to want more. But it's not like NFL 2K, where a better game just didn't get the love. No one is really making the game you want. You can blame EA for not listening to you. But you might as well blame every other developer and publisher that has no interest in making the game you want either.
I have to disagree with everything that you've said.... Except the fact that Don King Boxing sucked. it was atrocious, but VC didn't make it. Notice i said VC (Visual Concepts) listens to its fans. I didn't say 2k.

So Mr. Arcade boxing fan is a NBA Sim head?? Interesting. It is completely false to say that NBA 2K11 has a TON of completely unrealistic gameplay. Its actually blasphemy. lol

# 31 iLLmatic @ 01/04/11 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I'll add one...

OOH! You brought back memories with the "Dragon". I wore the hell out of that Beta tape. Yeah, Beta. Yeah. I know. My folks actually bought a Beta system and we were one of the 4 people who fell for that trick. Pops broke down and got the VCR not to long after.

R.I.P: Julius Carry (1952–2008) aka "Sho'nuff"

# 32 wileyboy747 @ 01/04/11 04:36 AM
classic controls are back so im definitely geetin it !!!!! --total punch control sucks, thats the only reason why my fnr 4 is collecting dust right now.

# 33 DaveDQ @ 01/04/11 05:08 PM
Quote:
Since you started out by comparing a publisher and a developer, I'm not surprised you are confused. But VC has been responsible for lackluster releases of both NHL2K and MLB2K recently.

Meanwhile, EA Canada has produced the finest hockey game ever produced, a solid, and now considered the best soccer game in FIFA. They also laid a giant turd with NBA Elite.

So this fanboy notion of who is good, and who is bad is really pointless.

I'm not trying to slam NBA 2K11, as I think it is a fantastic game. But it is a great game that would not hold up to the same scrutiny the hardcore fight fans here are holding Fight Night to. Not because it is a bad, but because it is a videogame.

There is no issue with EA Canada not listening to fans. The issue is whether they have the same goals and visions as you. I'm just trying to suggest that there are probably some good reasons that the game you want isn't even on the table. It's clear that the new game is just a slight upgrade over the same game you've been hating on for years.

There are not enough hardcore boxing fans that play videogames to justify the level of sim you are looking for. That's why it plays more like PGR than Forza in terms of sim vs. arcade. It's also why it still reviews and sells well.
Good Points.

# 34 fistofrage @ 01/04/11 05:54 PM
Quote:
Graphics look sharp, but my interest is waning.
My interest is pretty much gone. Its pretty clear they opted for this story mode instead of focusing on Career mode that the fans have been begging for for years.

If career mode is the same and the in the ring is basically FNr4 1.1, why would I spend $60 on this instead of the Show?

I'll be interested to see the sales, but I think I'll be getting this next fall when its 39.99 or even 19.99.

Oh well, lets see what gimmick they come up with in 2013 that takes precedence over career mode.

# 35 callmetaternuts @ 01/05/11 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
My interest is pretty much gone. Its pretty clear they opted for this story mode instead of focusing on Career mode that the fans have been begging for for years.

If career mode is the same and the in the ring is basically FNr4 1.1, why would I spend $60 on this instead of the Show?

I'll be interested to see the sales, but I think I'll be getting this next fall when its 39.99 or even 19.99.

Oh well, lets see what gimmick they come up with in 2013 that takes precedence over career mode.
Wait, so Career mode hasn't been changed, just that story mode? Ugh.

# 36 fistofrage @ 01/05/11 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
There are a few changes.....Not $60 worth of changes IMO from what I have read. But this looks more like Don King's Prizefighter II instead of the next iteration of the Fight Night series.

# 37 Money99 @ 01/05/11 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
Like fistorage said, it looks like Legacy Mode (career mode) has seen a few upgrades. You now have money and you use it to travel to various cities to improve on certain attributes.

But I think a lot of people (myself included) wanted to see a greater leap. We still aren't able to have more than one player in a career mode. Even Evander Holyfield boxing for the Genesis allowed you to control two guys at once.

I'm still reserving judgement when we get more details. I'm hoping some issues have been fixed (ie, after unifying the belts and then losing, will all three belts be dispersed?).

I'm also hoping the jab is more effective as are crosses. Another question mark is how many different types of styles will we see. (The Victorious Boxers series was tremendous in this regard. You could tell right away if you were fighting a brawler, a dancer or a boxer-puncher. Even their strengths and weaknesses were evident within a few seconds).
In FNRd4 everything turned into a phone-booth match. No matter how hard you might have tried to dance and jab, it wasn't very effective because the jab was useless and footwork was non-existent.

But some of the things I'm very excited for are the new controls and how every punch has it's own rating.
And we don't know about the sliders either. For all we know, there's a great set that will be discovered to give a very sim feel.

I'm not all that interested in the Champions Mode, but I'll definitely play it.
However, I'll be mighty disappointed if the Legacy Mode is the same and the Champions Mode gets stale after one go-around.

It's been repeated several times here, but there could be many upset fans crying "FOUL" if EA spent a large portion of their time on a failed mode when they could have used it to give a more robust legacy mode.

And if I may add, compared to other companies such as Take-Two, SCEA and others, EA seems to be really behind offering a robust 'My Player' experience in all their sports.
Boxing and My Player were made for each other. That's why Legacy Mode should be worked on as much as possible.

# 38 Money99 @ 01/05/11 11:31 AM
Quote:
Of course the developer of FN also produced the best "My Player" mode going in sports games. Well, maybe NBA2K11 knocked the NHL series down a peg. But still, those guys get it.

But career mode, as it is now, is pretty much a "My Player" mode. Sure, it can be improved, but it is what it is.

I will say that this story mode they have worked so hard on looks like garbage to me. Maybe I will find it to be great storytelling, and it will be very compelling. But so far, it looks like something I do not want to waste my time on. So I agree, I wish they just beefed up the career mode.
I guess we'll have to disagree about the BAP mode in NHL11. I found it very shallow. But that's a topic for another day.

I agree that I'm not that excited for the Champions mode. But who knows? It could be great. We'll find out in 3 months I suppose.
I just hope they still found time to iron out some of the issues that plagued Legacy Mode in Rd4.

# 39 Vast @ 01/05/11 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I guess we'll have to disagree about the BAP mode in NHL11. I found it very shallow. But that's a topic for another day.

I agree that I'm not that excited for the Champions mode. But who knows? It could be great. We'll find out in 3 months I suppose.
I just hope they still found time to iron out some of the issues that plagued Legacy Mode in Rd4.
I hope so too Money. I just seriously doubt it. This Champions mode is like a magician(EA) using a slight of hand trick so we don't realize what it is thats actually being offered.

There are sooo many different fighting styles in boxing, yet there has been absolutely no talk about improvements to the computer A.I., which was not great in FN4.

The improvements to legacy mode released so far are dissappointing to say the least.
Diet and making weight is still missing in action. For the record there are ways to include this in the game without making it tedious or difficult.

It still seem like Trainers are completely ommited from the Legacy mode. Are you serious??

I'm not a ***** i've been purchasing boxing games for close to 20 years now. I'm just fed up.
In the last 7 years alone, i've purchased Fight Night, Fight Night 2, Fight Night 3, and Fight Night 4, all 1st day purchases.

# 40 Vast @ 01/06/11 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
You played victorious road yet? I'm tellin you, thats the game you're looking for.

I'm in japan at the moment, and ya know that was one of the first stops I made was the japanese game spot lol. That spot is my version of heaven. japanese devs pull no punches when it comes to depth. Hajime no ippo victorious road is THE **** period. Its kinda ugly reference the visuals though.

I dont know what they're waiting on to make a PS3 version of it.

FN still suffices though.
I have boxers road 2 for my psp, but that game is in a language i can't understand, and even then its career mode has gotten more playing time from me than all the fight nights combined. If i could read japanese i wouldn't be on here voicing my concerns.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.