Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Dazraz @ 01/07/11 03:48 AM
I think I will be picking up both MLB games this year. I really think 2K's game deserves a look although ultimately The Show will still be the number baseball game.

# 22 reduced price @ 01/07/11 05:46 AM
I seriously couldn't absorb anything from this trailer. It pretty much appears to be the same game as last year. And I am speaking mainly towards player models.

# 23 He_Shoots_He_Scores @ 01/07/11 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
I think I will be picking up both MLB games this year. I really think 2K's game deserves a look although ultimately The Show will still be the number baseball game.
So the chance to win a million dollars doesn't have anything to do with it.

# 24 rock85 @ 01/07/11 08:30 AM
I liked what i saw from that trailer, animations looked better, batters swing looks to be improved. I wasn't to crazy about the no look diving catch, player models looked improved also. Now bring on some gameplay vids

# 25 nemesis04 @ 01/07/11 08:42 AM
I think my favorite animation was how the A's runner slowed up going into second. Nicely done!

# 26 Flaxseed Oil @ 01/07/11 08:59 AM
I thought it looked pretty good...especially the stadiums.

The Giant's ballpark looked great in the afternoon and Yankee Stadium looked good. Player faces were also noticeably different...did you see the hair coming out from under the helmet on the Orioles player?

I still want to see gameplay, but I think this game has a shot to be decent.

# 27 elfdutch @ 01/07/11 09:23 AM
Really need to see this thing in action. Gameplay vids and hopefully a demo soon.
Played 2 games yesterday just to get the feel of 2k10 again.
The game has a lot going for it, but 2k10 was too.....unifinished?
Sort out the fielding, fielder super arms, bad replays, superhuman assitsted fielding and a ton of other things and the game could be a winner....for me.
I'm not really a franchise player but of course the game needs a lot of work on that part too.
I really hope the game is more smooth too, and they need to add some home run celebrations.

Can't wait to play a demo!

# 28 Mercury112491 @ 01/07/11 11:26 AM
A weird thing that makes me feel confident for this year....this first trailer had full speed in game footage instead of the dramtic slo motion stuff from the last few years. Makes me think maybe they're not embarrassed.

I'm excited for this year, I thought they were really close to having a great game last year. Fixing the errors, fatigue and stolen bases would be nice, but for me as long as the fielding is fixed I'll be happy.

Imo the thing that really made MVP 05 so much fun to play was how smooth and fun to play the fielding was.

# 29 Blzer @ 01/07/11 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
...did you see the hair coming out from under the helmet on the Orioles player?
One of the ugliest moments of this game's ugliness poking its head out since WSB 2K3. No one has their helmet high enough to be revealing bangs, and even if they did they would cover it up first. It looks ridiculous lol.

But yes, the day time shots look amazing. They did last year as well, only on the PS3 there were too many jaggies to truly enjoy it.

# 30 WazzuRC @ 01/07/11 12:31 PM
Man, I don't know. After seeing that video, it honestly looked close to the same game as last year.

Hopefully they make improvements, but I'm definitely not even thinking about buying this game until at least a month after release.

# 31 DaveDQ @ 01/07/11 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I think my favorite animation was how the A's runner slowed up going into second. Nicely done!
That was my favorite too.

# 32 twogotwingz3 @ 01/07/11 02:02 PM
For all of you talking about the Carl Crawford catch..go look up some Jim Edmonds catches...he's made a catch just like that in real life!!

# 33 AtlBraves09 @ 01/07/11 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogotwingz3
For all of you talking about the Carl Crawford catch..go look up some Jim Edmonds catches...he's made a catch just like that in real life!!
-I think people are more concerned about the animation... While the catch is very possible, the angle at which he dove and the fact that he wasn't looking toward the ball at all trows some red flags at people. But, at game speed, the whole head on the ball issue may not be that big of a deal, but you better just skip the replay!

-I just hope this game looks a bit better on ps3, I don't understand why the ps3 version was left out to dry visually.

# 34 rudyjuly2 @ 01/07/11 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
Honestly that video moved so quickly and had so many windows it could have been from last year's game and I wouldn't have been able to tell.
I'm in the same boat. The animations that I did see looked good but I want to see a player round first base on the way to second and see if it takes a smooth path instead of a herky jerky one.

# 35 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/07/11 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlBraves09
-I think people are more concerned about the animation... While the catch is very possible, the angle at which he dove and the fact that he wasn't looking toward the ball at all trows some red flags at people. But, at game speed, the whole head on the ball issue may not be that big of a deal, but you better just skip the replay!

-I just hope this game looks a bit better on ps3, I don't understand why the ps3 version was left out to dry visually.
I think a lot of it had to do with the compiling of this engine (all 2K engines) was done on the 360 first... so porting over and trying to replicate things on a different system entirely is an issue.

Some development houses are now switching their engines over to PS3 mind set as far as programming since it is a more complex way of doing things, and have admitted that doing this opens up more avenues for nice overall graphical features and even helped improve the same games on the 360 as well as far as them running faster using this approach.

Would be nice to see 2K do this as well, but seeing their financial situation, it does not seem feasible this gen to re-write an entirely new engine.

Quote:
“We’re serious about making sure the PS3 version is great, and here’s a little info on how we’re going about doing it. We have no plans to hand off the PS3 version of BioShock Infinite to another studio. In fact, it’s not a “port” at all. We have a much larger team than we did on the original BioShock, so we’re doing simultaneous in-house development on the PS3, 360, and PC versions of the game.

We all know that the PS3 is powerful but unique console with its own strengths and challenges. But compared to the PC, the Xbox 360 is challenging too. So instead of declaring a “lead platform” and porting the game to the others, we’ve instead changed the game engine so that all platforms look (to a programmer) more like a PS3. This means implementing a task-oriented task processor that assumes a NUMA (non-uniform memory access) design that mimics the PPU/SPU split of the PS3. Writing code this way is more difficult for us, but has a key advantage: it’s both optimal for the PS3 *and* gives speed improvements on other platforms due to increased cache coherence and more efficient use of multiple processing units.”
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010...ys-irrational/

# 36 AtlBraves09 @ 01/07/11 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I think a lot of it had to do with the compiling of this engine (all 2K engines) was done on the 360 first... so porting over and trying to replicate things on a different system entirely is an issue.

Some development houses are now switching their engines over to PS3 mind set as far as programming since it is a more complex way of doing things, and have admitted that doing this opens up more avenues for nice overall graphical features and even helped improve the same games on the 360 as well as far as them running faster using this approach.

Would be nice to see 2K do this as well, but seeing their financial situation, it does not seem feasible this gen to re-write an entirely new engine.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010...ys-irrational/
- gotcha, I never really knew anything about that I just knew that when ever I saw the game on a 360 I was thinking how I wish it looked like that on ps3 because I enjoy the analog gameplay. That does make sense though. I guess other sports games that look good on ps3 already took this approach. NCAA and Tiger woods look pretty darn good on ps3, but this game just didn't.

# 37 rudyjuly2 @ 01/08/11 07:16 AM
I'll have to disagree with you Jayhawker about baseball games not being profitable or worth the time. They sell very well if you don't compare them to football. No sports game will touch Madden. But if you just compare PS3 sports titles then the Show does very well against the major sports. In fact, the Show 10 on the PS3 sold a similar amount of games to NCAA 11 and baseball games collectively on the PS3 are similar to basketball sales as well. The previous year when Live was around there was over 1 million basketball sales on the PS3 but baseball can hold it's own. Selling 600,000 copies of a game on one platform is big and I'm sure SCEA made good money.

Madden 11 - 1,800,000
NBA 2K11 - 730,000 (no Live/Elite)
Show 10 - 610,000
NCAA 11 - 600,000
NHL 11 - 310,000 (and no 2K11 competition)
MLB 2K10 - 140,000

Note that FIFA 11 did 3.72 million sales but that is skewed by Europe as less than 400,000 units were sold in North America.

# 38 AtlBraves09 @ 01/08/11 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'll have to disagree with you Jayhawker about baseball games not being profitable or worth the time. They sell very well if you don't compare them to football. No sports game will touch Madden. But if you just compare PS3 sports titles then the Show does very well against the major sports. In fact, the Show 10 on the PS3 sold a similar amount of games to NCAA 11 and baseball games collectively on the PS3 are similar to basketball sales as well. The previous year when Live was around there was over 1 million basketball sales on the PS3 but baseball can hold it's own. Selling 600,000 copies of a game on one platform is big and I'm sure SCEA made good money.

Madden 11 - 1,800,000
Show 10 - 610,000
NCAA 11 - 600,000
MLB 2K10 - 140,000

Note that FIFA 11 did 3.72 million sales but that is skewed by Europe as less than 400,000 units were sold in North America.
- Thats more of what I was thinking of... I just didn't have the numbers to back it up. You can't really classify Madden with other sports games in terms of sales. Most people are not dead set pro-show and dead set against 2k. Many people, myself included, would love to have two good baseball games to play in the spring. Competition creates great things. I have both so they got my money anyway, but I think they would have been able to sell more ps3 copies than they did if the graphics were comparable to the 360.

# 39 DJ @ 01/08/11 11:43 AM
Quote:

Madden 11 - 1,800,000
Show 10 - 610,000
NCAA 11 - 600,000
MLB 2K10 - 140,000

Pretty impressive that The Show was in striking range of NBA 2K11 on the PS3 ... of course, I think the b-ball gaming market is a lot larger on the 360. Same thing with NCAA 11; Online Dynasty probably pushes more people to buy for the 360 over the PS3.

140,000 units for MLB 2K10 on the PS3 is actually more than I expected them to sell on that console. When you add those numbers to The Show, it puts baseball gaming into second place behind Madden in terms of overall sales.

# 40 jeffy777 @ 01/08/11 01:53 PM
Quote:

Madden 11 - 1,800,000
Show 10 - 610,000
NCAA 11 - 600,000
MLB 2K10 - 140,000

He wasn't talking about comparing the sales of baseball games to othe sports games. He was talking about comparing the sales of baseball games to other video games in general (such as Call of Duty, GTA, etc.).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.