Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Jamin23 @ 01/08/11 04:30 PM
One thing I notice and I know this is early, but hope it gets fixed is the scoreboards still have the huge black space around the picture of the player. It looks really bad.

# 42 rudyjuly2 @ 01/08/11 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
He wasn't talking about comparing the sales of baseball games to othe sports games. He was talking about comparing the sales of baseball games to other video games in general (such as Call of Duty, GTA, etc.).
What's the difference? If you guys expect any sports game other than Madden or FIFA in Europe to touch GTA or Call of Duty sales you guys are nuts. If that's what was needed to make money nobody would be making video games period.

If you want to compare it to other video games that are in the normal sales ranges go right ahead. Show me the sales numbers that say selling "only" 600,000 copies on one platform is not a big deal. The Show 10 ranks 71st in North America out of 588 titles ever released on the PS3. That puts it just outside of the Top 10% of all games ever released in North America. Only 34 titles have ever sold over 1 million games in North America on the PS3 and 4 of the top 6 are COD. Exactly how many copies do you guys think they have to sell to be "worth their while"? I think your expectations are way too high.

# 43 rudyjuly2 @ 01/08/11 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
Even if 2K11 is as good as I hope it will be, there is no way it eclipses 200K on the PS3. The only reason they are releasing it there, at this point, has to be because of the license agreement they made with MLB. I don't think it's right, or fair, but it is the landscape as it exists.
MLB 2K9 sold 150,000 copies on the PS3 and that game (only tried the demo) was awful. I could barely stomach the demo. The bad taste in people's mouths led to a drop to 140,000 last year. Who knows how many titles a truly good game could sell for them? The Show 09 sold 640,000 so that was just under 800,000 baseball games sold two years ago on the PS3 and 750,000 last year. MLB 2K11 could eclipse 200,000 but to do so it has to steal market share from Sony.

You can't give up on competing for those sales given the fact TT is spending between $30 and $40 million dollars annually on a semi-exclusive baseball license. They have been losing money because of it. I would make the exact opposite argument that you guys are making. 2K is already guaranteed to get 100% of the baseball sales on the 360. The real growth for 2K is by growing their market share on the PS3. That's the most logical way to improve sales imo.

# 44 SoxFan01605 @ 01/08/11 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
MLB 2K9 sold 150,000 copies on the PS3 and that game (only tried the demo) was awful. I could barely stomach the demo. The bad taste in people's mouths led to a drop to 140,000 last year. Who knows how many titles a truly good game could sell for them? The Show 09 sold 640,000 so that was just under 800,000 baseball games sold two years ago on the PS3 and 750,000 last year. MLB 2K11 could eclipse 200,000 but to do so it has to steal market share from Sony.

You can't give up on competing for those sales given the fact TT is spending between $30 and $40 million dollars annually on a semi-exclusive baseball license. They have been losing money because of it. I would make the exact opposite argument that you guys are making. 2K is already guaranteed to get 100% of the baseball sales on the 360. The real growth for 2K is by growing their market share on the PS3. That's the most logical way to improve sales imo.
I dunno. I'm torn on this. In theory, I agree with your point (and certainly don't think they should give up and stand pat on the PS3 version), but I think that right now they have a better shot at expanding their 360 and PC sales to really make a jump.

I mean, they could stand to up sales on all three platforms, but competing against a product that is already ahead and has just added a version of the same feature (controls) that might have set you apart is tougher than simply competing against your previous iteration (not saying the analog controls in The Show will be a hit-that clearly remains to be seen-but the point is that playing catchup against an already good game that is still progressing is a daunting task for any developer, let alone one that is also trying to battle financial instability).

I guess my point is they don't need a special focus on the PS3 or switch their root dev system. Simply continue to make strides in the base product and hope that is enough to bring overall users back into the fold. Maybe then (once you have a better quality core product) you can put more focus into cutting into The Show's numbers on the PS3. So in that, I tend to agree with Jayhawker's base premise that it doesn't make much sense for 2K to push the issue on PS3 right now.

# 45 bigfnjoe96 @ 01/08/11 06:38 PM
hi def trailer looks better.Love the lighting. Need some previews

# 46 AtlBraves09 @ 01/09/11 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I dunno. I'm torn on this. In theory, I agree with your point (and certainly don't think they should give up and stand pat on the PS3 version), but I think that right now they have a better shot at expanding their 360 and PC sales to really make a jump.

I mean, they could stand to up sales on all three platforms, but competing against a product that is already ahead and has just added a version of the same feature (controls) that might have set you apart is tougher than simply competing against your previous iteration (not saying the analog controls in The Show will be a hit-that clearly remains to be seen-but the point is that playing catchup against an already good game that is still progressing is a daunting task for any developer, let alone one that is also trying to battle financial instability).

I guess my point is they don't need a special focus on the PS3 or switch their root dev system. Simply continue to make strides in the base product and hope that is enough to bring overall users back into the fold. Maybe then (once you have a better quality core product) you can put more focus into cutting into The Show's numbers on the PS3. So in that, I tend to agree with Jayhawker's base premise that it doesn't make much sense for 2K to push the issue on PS3 right now.
- I just dont get that... I understand what your saying, but 2k is going to get 360 and pc sales regardless. I don't understand why they wouldn't atleast try to put out an equal product on the ps3 so that they could up those sales totals by at least 100,000. I'm not saying that they should try to compete with the show, I think that they have an untapped resource of ps3 users, if that makes sense. Theres nothing to lose by doing this, worst case scenario, you get the ps3 version looking on par with the 360 version and sell more copies on that system. Its not like sales are going to decrease on either system from doing this.

# 47 AtlBraves09 @ 01/09/11 12:25 AM
Quote:
But it does cost time and money to get the game working on the PS3. If the bean counters at 2K don't see an upside in spending the money, they won't. I really don't know what the costs are. But it seems pretty clear that this is how 2K has viewed it over the last two releases.

If it makes some people feel better to bang away at the developers as lazy and uncaring, I guess that is their prerogative. But believe it has to do with how 2K is deciding to allocate their resources in an effort to maximize profits.
- Believe me, I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I am just trying to understand the reasons why, because I would have genuinely enjoyed this game if the graphics werent so contrasting between the two platforms. It wasn't my intent to offend anyone, (developers, fellow posters) It's just something that I have been wondering for a while and apparently other people are as well.

# 48 Hapshoops32 @ 01/09/11 03:57 AM
Ok, I'm a big fan of MLB: The Show... Have gotten all kinds of miles out of MLB 09... but I have to admit, this trailer looks pretty good. It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks... I LOVE the NBA 2K11 game - if MLB 2K11 gets close to that kind of a game, it could give the Show a run for its money.

# 49 Radja @ 01/09/11 01:55 PM
if 2k wants to make money, make your baseball game as good as your basketball game. that game is awesome. because of all the good hype, people have been buying that game who are not fans of the real thing or fans who don't normally buy basketball games.

if you make a game a 'must have', you get market share. if you have glaring inexcusable flaws, you lose market share.

the thing 2k is wrong about is they think they are losing money because of the semi-exclusive license. they are losing money because the product shipped with problems that should never have made it through the door with 2k7 and 8. 2k9 should never have been shipped and 2k10 didn't have errors and injuries, which are fundamental to baseball. they lost sales immediately because of bad reviews and impressions on the sites promoting and/or selling their game. by the time patches were released people had moved on and those sales were gone. some of those negative feelings carried over to the next season and the snowball of disinterest was rolling.

i did not buy 2k10. i will be buying 2k11 partly because there was a lot right with 2k10 but mostly because nba 2k11 is soooooo good, i expect mlb 2k11 to match that with their game this year and finally deliver the game they should have all along.

# 50 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/11 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radja
i did not buy 2k10. i will be buying 2k11 partly because there was a lot right with 2k10 but mostly because nba 2k11 is soooooo good, i expect mlb 2k11 to match that with their game this year and finally deliver the game they should have all along.
That is a pretty tall order to expect 2K10 to turn into NBA 2K11 all of a sudden. It took years of refinement for that game (NBA 2K11) to get to what it was last year, and NBA 2K10 was not like the MLB game as far as needing a very large turn around.

But for your sake I hope you are right. Would love to have a more competitive market again. But indeed some high expectations.

Sent from the dugout using Tapatalk

# 51 jeffy777 @ 01/09/11 03:49 PM
I really don't see MLB 2K10 as needing "a very large turn around". Yeah it needs some work, but it's actually just a few tweaks away from being a very good game (at least the 360 version). As Radja said, there was a lot right with 2K10. Kotaku gave it the award for the comeback sports game of 2010. I don't care what anyone says: it was a better game than some people here give it credit for, and if VC focuses on the right things, 2K11 could really be a great game. Will it be on the same level as NBA 2K11? Probably not, but it still doesn't need "a very large turn around" to be a great game.

# 52 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/11 03:56 PM
You take what I said out of context.

I did not mention anything about what was needed for a very good game. To be of the level of NBA2K11 (which had years of refinement of already great basketball games every year), however, it will need a very large turn around.

That much is true.

# 53 jeffy777 @ 01/09/11 04:01 PM
Ok, but my points still stand regardless.

# 54 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/11 05:30 PM
Quote:
But the problem is that 2k paid more for the MLB license (I'm assuming) and there is a much larger market for basketball games. So they have less money to throw into the game. Couple that with some serious missteps that have created a seriously antagonistic community, and they just don't have any room for error.

If you read this threads here, you would think that 2K10 was a huge failure. So just making a better game is not enough right now.

I really think that 2K is waiting for the really bad deal they made with MLB to run out.
In total agreement.

Their game had a much more solid foundation, before they had the exclusive. The Xbox/PS2 versions in 2005 with the ESPN License was a great game, a bit HR happy, but a lot of the games back then were.

# 55 rudyjuly2 @ 01/09/11 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
I really don't see MLB 2K10 as needing "a very large turn around". Yeah it needs some work, but it's actually just a few tweaks away from being a very good game (at least the 360 version). As Radja said, there was a lot right with 2K10. Kotaku gave it the award for the comeback sports game of 2010. I don't care what anyone says: it was a better game than some people here give it credit for, and if VC focuses on the right things, 2K11 could really be a great game. Will it be on the same level as NBA 2K11? Probably not, but it still doesn't need "a very large turn around" to be a great game.
I agree. Just adding a pitch accuracy slider would have made the game so much better. Adding injuries and errors (inexcusable to be missing last year) will also go a long way.

# 56 johnnyg713 @ 01/10/11 01:06 AM
Something about ichiro's throw at the 0:24 mark stood out to me. Im not really too big on signature animations and this is def far-fetched to say bout a 2 sec clip but it makes me wonder if signature fielding and throwing animations will make it into this years game.

# 57 Radja @ 01/10/11 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
That is a pretty tall order to expect 2K10 to turn into NBA 2K11 all of a sudden. It took years of refinement for that game (NBA 2K11) to get to what it was last year, and NBA 2K10 was not like the MLB game as far as needing a very large turn around.

But for your sake I hope you are right. Would love to have a more competitive market again. But indeed some high expectations.

Sent from the dugout using Tapatalk
i totally understand what you are saying. to be honest, i am not expecting it to be to the quality of nba 2k11, but i am expecting the jump from 2k10 to 11 to be equal to the nba jump from 2k10 to 11. i expect it to be close to the quality of nba.

from what i read, the main things wrong were the errors and injuries. there were franchise issues, but to be fair, a lot of sports games have franchise issues. so the process seems rather straightforward:

1) make what worked better with tweaks.

2) add errors and injuries

3) 2k needs to eliminate any egregious problems. all sports games have at least a few things you need to make concessions for, but this is the area they have always failed in one way of another.

baseball gamers are a persnickety group. they tend to focus on game play first more than any other group except maybe hockey guys. give them a game they can sink their teeth into, they will buy it. and they will stick to it for a long time if nothing better comes along. they will avoid a bad game and still play a game from their past unlike other sports genres.

# 58 elfdutch @ 01/10/11 02:58 AM
If they can improve the fielding, hopefully make it as smooth as mvp 05, get rid of the clunkiness (the run-stop-run, catch-stop-throw) make sure that in replays you can actually see what is happening, get rid of the fast play, then the game will be a definate buy for me.....and i play on the ps3.

I'm also hoping it looks a lot less jaggy but seeing what some of you guys are saying about that i don't think it will happen.
The pitching / batting is absolutely beautifull, its putting the ball in play that makes you notice that mlb2k10 was an unfinished product.

# 59 johnnyg713 @ 01/10/11 12:12 PM
what gives me hope for this years game is what last years trailer looked like. Over in the screenshot thread someone posted last years trailer and the animations looked pretty bad (check out the tag animation). This years animations seem pretty smooth

# 60 BadKermit @ 01/11/11 01:48 PM
I agree with a lot of what is being said here. I picked up 2K10 on the cheap about a month ago. I expected very little of the game, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was the first baseball game since probably MVP NCAA 2006 in which I was actually able to draw walks (I'm a HUGE hacker).

I hear people's concerns about franchise progression, and it sounds like it's something that needs to be addressed. Since I never got far enough into a franchise to notice it myself, though, my biggest complaint is probably the fielding for both the CPU and me. When I'm in the field, it just feels like my players are getting sucked into a zone to catch the ball. And the ridiculous number of over-the-shoulder catches need to go. The CPU also makes absurd plays on me on balls that are hit hard, particularly the opposing pitchers.

Elfdutch is spot-on. MVP's fielding was such a blast. It was smooth, but it never made me feel like my fielders were playing "on rails." I want to love this game so much. The control scheme is an absolute blast, and I really hope 2K11 gets the whole package at least 90% "right."

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.