Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

GameInformers' Matt Bertz, has posted his MLB 11 The Show hands-on preview. He mostly talks about the major overhaul in RttS mode.

Quote:
"In past creators you were given a blank slate and a bunch of experience points to add wherever you saw fit. This year, Sony is introducing dynamic interactive sliders to help you better tailor your slugger or pitcher. Before you're given attribute points to juice up your prospect, the game presents you with three adjustable sliders that help determine your playing style. For pitchers, the sliders are stamina vs. power, control vs. movement, and pitching repetoire vs. dominant pitch. By moving the sliders across the 100-point scales, you can create drastically different players. If you want to create an innings eater like Carl Pavano, you'd move the sliders toward stamina, control, and pitching repetiore. If you want a power thrower with one pitch to rule them all like Stephen Strasburg, you'd move the sliders toward power, movement, and dominant pitch. Position players have sliders for power vs. contact, glove vs. arm, and speed vs. strength.

Previous Road to the Show modes guided players with dynamic goals that changed every game. Some of the goals, like avoid striking out, seemed obvious. Others, like the coach telling you to take the first pitch, seemed arbitrary. Rather than tweak the logic, Sony decided to scrap the system altogether in favor of a new player performance evaluator. This new logic system tracks your every at-bat or pitching match-up and assigns you a grade for each one. At the end of the game, your overall grade determines the amount of skill points you receive. The evaluator understands the subtleties of the sport better than the dynamic goals ever did; if you foul off nine pitches before popping out, the game knows this is a good at-bat because you stressed the pitcher, and it rewards you appropriately. The same applies to pitching; you're not going to get as many points for striking out a batter on 10 pitches as you would for getting a batter to ground out in three pitches."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/08/11 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Well, you couldn't start of well in multiple categories in previous versions either as you got less points to work with than they are proposing to offer in 11. I think the extra points will be simply a boost to some areas rather than a hamstring to others.

I'm thinking this is more in-line with some RPGs that give you bonuses to certain skills at the beginning, but still allow you to build up the other areas as well.

In other words, you aren't forced to be low-rated in everything if you want to balance you're progression. You can start higher in an area you want to jump start you (maybe you are good at stealing, so speed would net you more points when you're playing since you can rack up extra points stealing bases).

So, now you can start as a speedy contact guy (with more points than you were allowed in previous iterations) and develop his power and strength down the line without feeling like you're not making as much progress.

From reading through the threads here, it seems to be what most guys were doing anyway. Boosting a few key attributes to get themselves going and then filling in the others. With the new system, you are given extra points towards that idea.

Of course, that's just my take...obviously we'll all get a better grip on this in a couple months.
You are pretty much on target with it.

# 22 speels @ 01/08/11 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Well, you couldn't start of well in multiple categories in previous versions either as you got less points to work with than they are proposing to offer in 11. I think the extra points will be simply a boost to some areas rather than a hamstring to others.

I'm thinking this is more in-line with some RPGs that give you bonuses to certain skills at the beginning, but still allow you to build up the other areas as well.

In other words, you aren't forced to be low-rated in everything if you want to balance you're progression. You can start higher in an area you want to jump start you (maybe you are good at stealing, so speed would net you more points when you're playing since you can rack up extra points stealing bases).

So, now you can start as a speedy contact guy (with more points than you were allowed in previous iterations) and develop his power and strength down the line without feeling like you're not making as much progress.

From reading through the threads here, it seems to be what most guys were doing anyway. Boosting a few key attributes to get themselves going and then filling in the others. With the new system, you are given extra points towards that idea.

Of course, that's just my take...obviously we'll all get a better grip on this in a couple months.
What I was mainly talking about is during player creation you were given say 100 points, but there was a cap on what you could put in any one category, i.e. PVL was 45. I am hoping that they take off these limits so that if I want a guy with 100 PVL and nothing else, I can make him right from the start, not have to build him up. I am hoping the new sliders will allow the base to be different, so for example if I choose a slow power hitter, he initially starts with higher power, but I am not capped at how much more power I can give him. So let's say he starts with 40 PVL, and I have 200 points, I want to be able to take him to 100 PVL and not be capped at say 60. Again, I am completely pumped about this game, this is just one thing I am interested in knowing about.

# 23 speels @ 01/08/11 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
Eventually is the key word.

As the guy above me posted, Carl Crawford didn't have 40 speed at age 18 and then develop into a 95 speed by age 22.

Crawford isn't a good example because he doesn't have a lot of power, but what if you wanted to create a player straight out of the draft who has plus power and also has plus speed? Is that possible? Seemingly, with having to slide attributes one way or the other, it would not be. That is limiting. Maybe not in the long run, but out the gate, yes, certainly it is.

It seems you have to choose one strength over the other .... and from the get go can't create someone who excels in both the attributes which share a slider.
I.E. 5 tool players to use the baseball terms.

# 24 SoxFan01605 @ 01/08/11 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
What I was mainly talking about is during player creation you were given say 100 points, but there was a cap on what you could put in any one category, i.e. PVL was 45. I am hoping that they take off these limits so that if I want a guy with 100 PVL and nothing else, I can make him right from the start, not have to build him up. I am hoping the new sliders will allow the base to be different, so for example if I choose a slow power hitter, he initially starts with higher power, but I am not capped at how much more power I can give him. So let's say he starts with 40 PVL, and I have 200 points, I want to be able to take him to 100 PVL and not be capped at say 60. Again, I am completely pumped about this game, this is just one thing I am interested in knowing about.
I get you on that. The issue with the attribute cap they've always had in place is a separate issue from what I responded to. My response was to the notion that sliders somehow limit or prevent you form creating a complete player. While they certainly could, there's been no info to suggest they will, as the idea seems to be to actually improve your chances of starting with a better RTTS player.

And I'm not trying to convince anyone one way or the other. I'm in the same boat as you guys...just waiting for the details to filter out (shouldn't be long now). I'm interested to know for sure as well.

# 25 Braves Fan @ 01/08/11 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by green94
MLB 10 was one of the best looking sports games ever, but with improvements like a new lighting engine, dynamic cloud cover, better transitions from day to night, new stadium fireworks, authentic jumbotrons for each ballpark, and more natural looking player models, MLB 11 is poised to outshine its predecessor. Sony also also recorded several new post-pitch animations and new batter/pitcher walkups. Rounding out the changes to the presentation, former slugger Eric Karros replaces Rex Hudler as the color commentator.

The franchise mode is also receiving some attention. Sony has reworked the trade and waiver wire logic so teams analyze their rosters more realistically; don't expect teams to trade away surefire aces like David Price. To keep you abreast of league happenings during the season, Sony has added a ticker that displays scores and stats from the other league games.
This is music to my ears!!!!

# 26 Muppet @ 01/08/11 07:12 PM
This might be a minor thing, but I found RTTS so frustrating this year due to such a slow progression. In fact in one season I actually got worse from being unable to meet the challenges.

Obviously I'm crap at the game, but i would have loved to have been able to purchase the points on PSN, but they weren't available to Australian players.

RTTS sounds much better with the sliders, and new goals so I'm happy with that, but would like to see the same options available to us in the Oz with regards to PSN options like purchasing points.

# 27 Russell_SCEA @ 01/08/11 11:07 PM
Quote:
Agreed, people should be free to create any and all types of players they want without limitations.

People are excited about the sliders, but personally, what if I want a powerful player who is also fast? It seems it has to be one way or the other, which is also limiting.

If you want to create a powerful player who is fast crank up the power and speed sliders.

The slider sets are just how your player starts out once your in the mode you can dump points into any category. You can't make a monster in the first year.

# 28 AtlantaBraves22 @ 01/09/11 01:47 AM
Russell, when you create a RTTS player and lets say i use the sliders to make him start out as a power hitter, how much power does that add, will i start out hitting 30 homers the first season or what. how does that work?

# 29 Hapshoops32 @ 01/09/11 04:12 AM
Very psyched about the RTTS overhaul... I've never been a big fan of the goals system... especially because some of them are either silly - or get in the way of playing the game. One thing I also hope they fix/change - the baserunning system! I didn't play MLB 10 at all... but in 09 - A. it was too easy to get picked off or caught stealing (even after I got my guy to be a 99 speed), and B. trying to run after the ball was hit was very frustrating - half the time, i'd end up going back towards the base first. The controls for running shouldn't change based on a vantage point - advancing to the next base should always be one direction, and going back to the base should be the other direction - Always! It gets too confusing otherwise - and you end up going back to a base when you don't mean to.

# 30 ripwalk @ 01/09/11 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
If you want to create a powerful player who is fast crank up the power and speed sliders.

The slider sets are just how your player starts out once your in the mode you can dump points into any category. You can't make a monster in the first year.
I thought power and speed were on one slider, where you can either move your player towards being faster or stronger, but it will be at the expense of the other? That's not the case? They aren't tied together?

# 31 jpup @ 01/09/11 04:42 PM
Hope they add the ability to add your own face into the game using the PSEye. That would certainly make the mode much more enjoyable.

# 32 metal134 @ 01/09/11 06:29 PM
Quote:
I thought power and speed were on one slider, where you can either move your player towards being faster or stronger, but it will be at the expense of the other? That's not the case? They aren't tied together?
I could be wrong, but I think the means the gameplay sliders.

# 33 Lewis160 @ 01/09/11 06:34 PM
So this mean that for example if i create a pitcher i wont need to upgrade his batting abilities and it will just show pitching attributes or its something different?

# 34 Yankees_CT @ 01/09/11 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpup
Hope they add the ability to add your own face into the game using the PSEye. That would certainly make the mode much more enjoyable.
I think this is a great idea, I would definitely second this.

# 35 Russell_SCEA @ 01/09/11 08:02 PM
Quote:

The sliders for position players are speed vs. strength, power vs. contact, and glove vs. arm.

# 36 SoxFan01605 @ 01/09/11 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
The sliders for position players are speed vs. strength, power vs. contact, and glove vs. arm.
Is speed vs strength like an overall modifier (affecting multiple attributes one way or the other) or it's own new section separate from ratings?

In other words if I choose arm and power will strength provide a boost for those as well, or affect it's own attributes? I ask because speed seems pretty straight forward, but it seems strength overlaps more with the other attributes. Just curious.

# 37 ripwalk @ 01/09/11 08:21 PM
Another RTTS question ...

I assume you can use analog controls in RTTS, I'm wondering though, are the controls just flipped when you are in the field (when the camera is normally behind you) ??

I believe that's how it worked with the buttons in RTTS, so I'm assuming the same switch is made for the analog?

# 38 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/09/11 08:24 PM
Quote:

I assume you can use analog controls in RTTS, I'm wondering though, are the controls just flipped when you are in the field (when the camera is normally behind you) ??

I believe that's how it worked with the buttons in RTTS, so I'm assuming the same switch is made for the analog?
I am going to go out on a limb and say yes.

# 39 thaSLAB @ 01/10/11 01:22 AM
Quote:

Last year you could actually select button configuration/perspective (classic vs. player relative) - I would think that was still in, and applicable when using analog too.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 40 Bat @ 01/10/11 01:50 AM
I wish they would over haul franchise mode. I have no interest in RTTS.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.