Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Producer Jazz Brousseau spent some time illustrating some of the new gameplay aspects you can expect to see in Fight Night Champion. In this video, he gives the rundown of the action. The difficulty is set to GOAT with sim presentation settings. Check out the fight, as he (Hagler) throws down with Hearns.

Quote:
"Things are crazy here right now, so I’m just going to cut to the chase. I jumped into one of our game capture studios this week to try and grab some gameplay clips you guys have been asking for since we put out all our videos.

In the fight you are seeing here, I am fighting Hearns (CPU) as Hagler in a 12-round fight on GOAT difficulty with the presentation style set to Simulation and commentary audio off.

As you can see, my play style is pretty conservative, especially in the early rounds. Even though Hagler has a great chin, I don’t like exchanging punches and prefer to lead with my jab so I can open up my opponent for power hooks. Very rarely do I throw more than 3-4 punches in a row and, when I do, it’s either because I’m trying to steal the round or because I think Hearns is hurting.

I try to keep to this strategy even when my opponent is stunned - there is nothing worse than going to town on someone just to have them come out of the stun state and force me to retreat. Other than my jabs and straights, I also don’t throw finesse punches that often. I know Hagler has a lot of power, so if I’m throwing lunging hooks and uppercuts, there’s a good chance they’re power punches.

You may notice that, after Hearns caught me with a minor stun, I moved to the middle of the ring. I wanted to hit him with some lunging power punches. The first hook didn’t quite connect, so I stepped back and tried again. Game over."

Source - A Quick Look at Gameplay (FNC Blog)

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 21 acts238shaun @ 01/17/11 08:21 AM
Game is sick. 1st day purchase for me.

# 22 BezO @ 01/17/11 08:49 AM
Other than the punches, which look great, it LOOKS like the same game. The step, step, fight pattern kills it for me.

And yeah, Hearns is waaaay too big.

# 23 winrehs_ipang @ 01/17/11 10:42 AM
That's it..?? It's still FN Rnd 4. Very stiff movements, nothing close to free-flowing movements like in real life. This game doesn't look so promising to me.

# 24 Sausage @ 01/17/11 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Other than the punches, which look great, it LOOKS like the same game. The step, step, fight pattern kills it for me.

And yeah, Hearns is waaaay too big.
I know what you mean, it is somewhat possible to box circles around your opponent, but do to the footwork/boxer movement it feels cumbersome.

# 25 Hova57 @ 01/17/11 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
I know what you mean, it is somewhat possible to box circles around your opponent, but do to the footwork/boxer movement it feels cumbersome.
its just alittle extra bounce we are looking for. its not like we are asking for Mario jump or anything. A little bit more flexion in the knees and looser feel to lateral movement

# 26 allBthere @ 01/17/11 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Hearns was the computer AI at the highest difficulty setting, so at least its not cheesy this year; but it definitely doesn't seem to offer much of a challenge.
Hearns was not aggressive at all, and his jab seemed ineffective.

Hopefully i'm just overanalyzing things.
I agree with this also...even though it looks much better than 4 - the jab is still not there. It's too slow and wasn't used enough. Most of the other punches are getting a lot better and the jab is too, but not enough - needs more speed and snap still. It's looking like you may or may not be able to work off of it.

I'd like to see another video but with larry holmes or someone like that so we can know for sure.

# 27 albsur2003 @ 01/17/11 03:38 PM
I like the video. I'm trying to be enthusiastic with this game. The stamina and knockouts look great. I LOVE the way being "hurt" plays out now with the different levels of "hurt". Also, punches look like they create the knockout now instead of it looking like it's...punch...2 seconds later...go into some weird looking KO animation.

I will say that the fact that Hearns is on GOAT in that video really worries me because he was picked apart fairly easy. It does look like CPU is at least boxing Hearns' style which is jab, jab, jab and use the right hand and use good movement. I'm not sure if we'll be able to do this in sliders. But I think for boxers with great jabs, it should cause more damage to your health meter and damage to your face. I feel like they kinda did this in Round 3. The jab should only affect those two things. It shouldn't be able to knock you out, stun you or anything or else it would exploited but I think they should tune the jab a bit.

# 28 Kanobi @ 01/17/11 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by albsur2003
I like the video. I'm trying to be enthusiastic with this game. The stamina and knockouts look great. I LOVE the way being "hurt" plays out now with the different levels of "hurt". Also, punches look like they create the knockout now instead of it looking like it's...punch...2 seconds later...go into some weird looking KO animation.

I will say that the fact that Hearns is on GOAT in that video really worries me because he was picked apart fairly easy. It does look like CPU is at least boxing Hearns' style which is jab, jab, jab and use the right hand and use good movement. I'm not sure if we'll be able to do this in sliders. But I think for boxers with great jabs, it should cause more damage to your health meter and damage to your face. I feel like they kinda did this in Round 3. The jab should only affect those two things. It shouldn't be able to knock you out, stun you or anything or else it would exploited but I think they should tune the jab a bit.

I believe we'll have the ability to edit the punch ratings and styles/tendencies of the licensed boxers this time.

# 29 Vast @ 01/18/11 01:38 AM
Quote:
Just imagine 2k11 type foot movement with momentum, blended in with FNC's punches. make it free flowing and 1 flush shot can drop you with pin point collision detection.

On topic, I feel the game is improved. The foot movement looks looser and it doesn't look like you get stuck when in close. Animations aside. Collision detecting seems very well done.

# 30 Sausage @ 01/18/11 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Just imagine 2k11 type foot movement with momentum, blended in with FNC's punches. make it free flowing and 1 flush shot can drop you with pin point collision detection.

On topic, I feel the game is improved. The foot movement looks looser and it doesn't look like you get stuck when in close. Animations aside. Collision detecting seems very well done.
Come to think about what makes it difficult to box circles is the fact the camera always keeps you facing your opponent like on a 2d plane (like Street Fighter). In Victorious boxers the camera stayed in place you can move your boxer behind your opponent with footwork.

# 31 DaveDQ @ 01/18/11 06:12 AM
Quote:
Come to think about what makes it difficult to box circles is the fact the camera always keeps you facing your opponent like on a 2d plane (like Street Fighter). In Victorious boxers the camera stayed in place you can move your boxer behind your opponent with footwork.
That's exactly it. That camera looks just like a 2D horizontal scroller.

# 32 allBthere @ 01/18/11 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
They should bring back the swing cam from Round 3. That was my camera of choice.
and make knockdowns like UFC...don't break the action with a replay and do do a cut scene, make the user get up and keep the whole thing "live" - let's see the replay when there's a break in the action (end of round/fight)

# 33 BezO @ 01/18/11 03:03 PM
Quote:
The camera and bad footwork do work together to make movement choppy & lifeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
They should bring back the swing cam from Round 3. That was my camera of choice.
I remember not liking the swing cam for some reason. I just want a stationary camera. Seeing boxers move around the ring would help a lot.

# 34 DaveDQ @ 01/18/11 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
and make knockdowns like UFC...don't break the action with a replay and do do a cut scene, make the user get up and keep the whole thing "live" - let's see the replay when there's a break in the action (end of round/fight)
Another great comment/idea taken from the various threads we have going on here. That's really a good observation. You could even grant the one standing the opportunity to taunt while he stands there, or humbly go to the corner. That would be a great interaction too between the referee and the fighter. There's lots you could do with it.

# 35 Vast @ 01/18/11 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Another great comment/idea taken from the various threads we have going on here. That's really a good observation. You could even grant the one standing the opportunity to taunt while he stands there, or humbly go to the corner. That would be a great interaction too between the referee and the fighter. There's lots you could do with it.
Definitely a great idea. I'll add that to the tons of ideas in the great boxing game bucket list.

# 36 boritter @ 01/18/11 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Great ideas.

I'm a boxing fanatic so I'll buy FNC regardless. But I would be a lot more excited if they added stuff like this instead of a campaign mode full of cut scenes.

# 37 WhosAuthority @ 01/26/11 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
Great ideas.

But I would be a lot more excited if they added stuff like this instead of a campaign mode full of cut scenes.
exactly. but thats what happens when you have people making the game who dont truely love boxing enough to be entertained by a simulation of the real sport.

# 38 JayBee74 @ 01/26/11 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosAuthority
exactly. but thats what happens when you have people making the game who dont truely love boxing enough to be entertained by a simulation of the real sport.
I don't know about that. Brizzo seems to be a huge fan and student of the sport. It's easy to love boxing. It's a lot harder to make a great simulation of the sport.

# 39 DaveDQ @ 01/26/11 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I don't know about that. Brizzo seems to be a huge fan and student of the sport. It's easy to love boxing. It's a lot harder to make a great simulation of the sport.
Yeah, Brizzo knows his boxing. There are so many things that play into how this game is made. One thing I think they were smart to do was include the Champion mode. espcially on the heals of The Fighter being released. Boxing is in the atmosphere right now.

# 40 Phobia @ 01/26/11 01:21 PM
I agree Dave. I am sorry many of you don't want to see the Champion story mode. But after I played 30 mins into it, I did not want to quit. It was intense and came off like a great story. Maybe not the most original but still very entertaining.

All I know is FNC will offer me many modes to enjoy. Legacy, CAB, Champion(story), and Online.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.