Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

360, PS3, PC

Dynamic Player Ratings
Watch your favorite MLB® pitcher strike out the side in a real game, then watch his stats improve in your game. Dynamic Player Ratings update daily in MLB® Today, Franchise, and My Player.

Revamped Fielding System
Completely revamped fielding system, featuring improved AI, throwing meters and landing indicators to give you more control to run down a fly ball or make the play at the plate.

My Player mode
Guide your player through the Minor Leagues™ and into the history books with an improved My Player mode.

MLB Today
Stay up-to-date on the latest happenings in Major League Baseball®, with timely play-by-play commentary and stat overlays pulled from real life news and box scores.

Total Control Pitching & Hitting
The battle at the plate comes to life in the palms of your hands. Paint the corners with pinpoint accuracy on the mound, and then fight off nasty sliders until you get the pitch you’re looking for at the plate.

New player models
Amazing attention to detail captures every intricacy of the game. Enjoy completely rebuilt player models for Major League™ authenticity like never before.

Wii

Mini-Diamond
An all-new multiplayer mode set in wild venues, from a low gravity Space ballpark to a zany Circus environment. Get ready to experience fast-paced, Mini-Diamond baseball.

The battle at the plate comes to life with your Wii™ Remote and Nunchuk. With the flick of your wrist, paint the corners with pinpoint accuracy on the mound and then fight off nasty sliders until you get the pitch you’re looking for at the plate.

Home Run Derby®
Swing your Wii™ Remote for the fences against the league’s top sluggers.

Franchise
Build a championship team from the ground up over the course of several seasons, or take the reins of a perennial contender and aim for the World Series® in year one.

Tournament
Pick the teams, pick the series length and then play ball. May the best team win.

PS2

Franchise & Season
Build a championship franchise from the ground up over the course of several seasons, or take the reins of a perennial contender and aim for the World Series® in year one.

Play Online
Take your skills online and play against the best gamers in the 2K Sports community.

Home Run Derby®
Swing for the fences against the league’s top sluggers.

Manager Showdown
Think you’re a master baseball strategist? Prove it by setting your lineup, naming your starting pitcher and making all the right moves to guide your team to victory.

Situation Mode
Choose a custom situation and jump to that exact moment of the game.

PSP

Franchise & Season
Build a championship franchise from the ground up over the course of several seasons, or take the reins of a perennial contender and aim for the World Series® in year one.

Home Run Derby®
Swing for the fences against the league’s top sluggers. Play a quick head-to-head duel, or challenge them all in a tournament.

The Farm

Take a trip down to the Minor Leagues to play with future All-Stars.

Manager Showdown
Think you’re a master baseball strategist? Prove it by setting your lineup, naming your starting pitcher and making all the right moves to guide your team to victory.

DS

The battle at the plate comes to life in the palms of your hands. Paint the corners with pinpoint accuracy on the mound, and then fight off nasty sliders until you get the pitch you’re looking for at the plate.

Season & Postseason Modes
Choose between the marathon of a 162-game Season, or the sprint of the Postseason.

Unlockable Player Cards
Over 250 baseball cards to unlock as you go.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Trevytrev11 @ 01/20/11 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
If this "dynamic player rating" is what I think it is, it may turn out to be HUGE. Now, in order to alleviate some concerns, this would definitely have to be a feature that you can turn OFF during franchise play.
This is probably asking too much, but it would be nice to be able to keep this off as a default, but be able to turn it on to get the most recent update and then have the ability to turn it off again all in the middle of a franchise.

And within that, it would be nice to be able to update just ratings (and just for certain players, if possible), just rosters, etc.

I may be in the middle of a season and not want the rosters to change, but would want the ratings to update based on player performance (to fix those 25 HR guys that 2K has rated as 5 HR guys).

Not sure if that could all be done, but it'd be nice to have several update options

# 62 Mercury112491 @ 01/20/11 03:15 PM
As someone who plays most of the games in a season and therefore never makes it past 2 seasons(my high in MVP 05) in a franchise I think the Dynamic Rosters will be a great addition for me. Nothing more frustrating than a ROTY candidate whose ratings are in the 60's

# 63 24 @ 01/20/11 03:20 PM
if 2k can make 2k11 any where near as good as its nba counterpart we are in for a treat

# 64 Blzer @ 01/20/11 03:21 PM
I'm just spitballing here, but doesn't anyone else think that the dynamic player ratings in franchise mode wouldn't be reflective of online updates, and rather just your own stats within franchise mode? The way I read into it, they simply use the same formula for whatever mode it's implemented in. That doesn't necessarily mean it's an online update for your franchise mode, just like how there is MLB Today commentary in franchise that's reflective of your performance in that mode, not the real life player.

# 65 Trevytrev11 @ 01/20/11 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm just spitballing here, but doesn't anyone else think that the dynamic player ratings in franchise mode wouldn't be reflective of online updates, and rather just your own stats within franchise mode? The way I read into it, they simply use the same formula for whatever mode it's implemented in. That doesn't necessarily mean it's an online update for your franchise mode, just like how there is MLB Today commentary in franchise that's reflective of your performance in that mode, not the real life player.
That would be ideal.

# 66 ryan36 @ 01/20/11 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
If they found a way to do it like this, it makes it a near instant purchase...I don't know that that's what they're implying. It takes the idea of "hot and cold" streaks to the next level and allows for breakout seasons.

I'm still skeptical, though... what if everyone had a breakout season, or it wasn't tuned properly , etc.?

I'm also very VERY hopeful!

# 67 Motown @ 01/20/11 03:39 PM
So, are they sayin' no HR derby on the NG consoles...really?

# 68 Trevytrev11 @ 01/20/11 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
That's possible. But I think that would lead to some pretty severe problems. I think it would result in some snowball effects on the ratings of players, and the middle ground could be lost.

Tom Tippett used to put out some great articles related to their Diamond Mind Baseball game that had a fantastic statistical model based on the ratings of players. Every attempt they made to adjust stats on the fly resulted in problems. As it turned out, the ebb and flow a .300 hitter will experience during a season were modeled much more accurately by letting the numbers fall randomly.

If the ratings mirror real life, then the ebb and flow will be taken care of. But if you use the in-game streaks to increase the ratings, then the ebb and flow lost because the player will be much less likely to suffer a performance drop. And you need that drop, so that every hitter that is on a pace for 80 HR's comes back to earth.

This is an area I think 2K has already gone a little too far in. DMB was also never able to rate batter and pitchers based on past performance against individual players. It also broke the ebb and flow. Ballpark effects and L/R were the most predictive stats.

Another rating that breaks the realism is clutch hitting. It doesn't really exist in a significant level. Good clutch hitters are not consistent from year-to-year. It is largely a phenomenon we think we see because our brains are programmed to see patterns.

Tippett's articles can be found here:
http://www.diamond-mind.com/servlet/...e/library/Page
Everything just gets tricky when too much is attempted. As you said, if one calcuation is off or has an error, then you get a snowball where instead of a 10 HR guy improving to a 20 HR guy he jumps to 60 or 80.

If even attempted, the changes need to be so subtle that large increases really only happen due to user rating changes or online updates.

While players do get hot and cold, the law of averages should take care of this over the course of a long season...even though flipping a coin is 50/50, if you flip it 500 times, you are going to have streaks of 5 or 6 heads in a row (a hot streak) and 5 or 6 or 7 tails in a row (a cold streak). But when all is said and done at the end of 500 flips you are going to be within a few flips of 50/50.

In reality, when a guy 2 or 3 bombs in a game or has a week where he hits .450 with 5 or 6 bombs, the odds are likely that he is going to come down from that, not carry on with that.

I don't mind the idea of mini hot and cold streaks built in to the game where a player may get a small bump in categories (power/contact for hitters or velocity/location/movement) for pitchers, but if it were up to me, they would be hidden and done behind the scenes and the only way you would know is by playing the game and just feeling better with that player.

Yeah, after re-reading that, I pretty much just reitterated everything you just said.

# 69 jeffy777 @ 01/20/11 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
So, are they sayin' no HR derby on the NG consoles...really?
Not really. This isnt an exhaustive list of everything in the game. Last year's "feature list" didn't include the home run derby and it was in 2K10:
http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/01/13...-features-list

I really don't see why they'd remove it.

# 70 dodgerblue @ 01/20/11 04:16 PM
I agree with what you are saying, if you program randomness in the game, highs and lows etc. then it shouldn't be necessary to have dynamic updates as long as the rating system is sound to begin with.

As I previously commented, I think a dynamic update is most useful when players are experiencing a breakout year or a big drop. For example, Jim Thome in '09 the show was in the starting lineup and hit 40 hrs or so when irl he had an off year. That is the kind of adjustment that would be cool!

# 71 Pared @ 01/20/11 04:25 PM
I don't see the huge downside to the dynamic updates.

The folks at Visual Concepts have a much better grasp on sports gaming and I don't think it's fair to expect this feature to not have been thought out and developed.

They are equally as thorough in their implementation of many things as some other developers.

I'd just say "wait and see" on the feature. EA's NBA Live dev. team tried this and failed badly at it. However, they were not too far off in implementing it in a very unique and innovating manner.

I'd have a hunch the dev. team at VC knows what they are doing with this feature. And as a fan of NBA 2k as well, it gives some insight as to what we can expect for that series as well.

I'm staying tuned, that's for sure.

# 72 jeffy777 @ 01/20/11 04:35 PM
Yeah, with the way they innovated with the MLB Today implementation last year, I think VC could do a good job pulling this off as well.

# 73 Steve_OS @ 01/20/11 04:59 PM
2K Sports slightly updated the Dynamic Player Ratings.

Watch your favorite MLB® pitcher strike out the side in a real game, then watch his stats improve in your game. Dynamic Player Ratings update daily in MLB® Today, Franchise, and My Player.

They will have a Developer Insight covering it, in the coming weeks.

# 74 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/20/11 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
2K Sports slightly updated the Dynamic Player Ratings.

They will have a Developer Insight covering it, in the coming weeks.
Thanks for the update Steve... definitely looking forward to the Insight on this.

# 75 Artman22 @ 01/20/11 05:25 PM
This is the difference between Kush games and Visual Concepts. Kush was all about inovations while the gameplay needed a lot of help. VC on the other hand worries about the gameplay being right first before adding gimmicks or features. Good to see IMO.

# 76 ryan36 @ 01/20/11 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
This is the difference between Kush games and Visual Concepts. Kush was all about inovations while the gameplay needed a lot of help. VC on the other hand worries about the gameplay being right first before adding gimmicks or features. Good to see IMO.
Amen, this is exactly what gives me hope for this series going forward

# 77 Heroesandvillains @ 01/20/11 05:37 PM
Is this VC's 3rd edition?

It's been awhile. Sorry, I can't remember how long it's been now.

# 78 DJ @ 01/20/11 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

The folks at Visual Concepts have a much better grasp on sports gaming and I don't think it's fair to expect this feature to not have been thought out and developed.

They are equally as thorough in their implementation of many things as some other developers.

I'd just say "wait and see" on the feature. EA's NBA Live dev. team tried this and failed badly at it. However, they were not too far off in implementing it in a very unique and innovating manner.

I'd have a hunch the dev. team at VC knows what they are doing with this feature. And as a fan of NBA 2k as well, it gives some insight as to what we can expect for that series as well.

I'm with you, Pared, and yeah, I'm also hoping that this feature will make its way into the NBA 2K series as well.

# 79 ryan36 @ 01/20/11 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

There's no downside with the updates themselves, at all. It's only if they did this IN LIEU OF fixing the progression in the game itself

# 80 Skyboxer @ 01/20/11 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCdodgers99
If this game had The Shows graphics I won't lie it would probably be a lot better than The Show
Not a lie.....just your opinion.
I think 2K has a loooong way to go to match the overall package of the Show, let alone be a LOT better.. BUT that's just my opinion also.
Everyone's entitled to them

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.