Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

This is a very very late addition/change to MLB 11 The Show. Kolbe and Jeff Ulman, one of our senior AI programmers, went into the cave this past weekend and re-wrote a massive amount of code for trades and off-season logic for franchise mode.

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 ckarlic @ 01/25/11 10:56 AM
Awesome news!!!

# 82 Yankees_CT @ 01/25/11 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
Did this mean only 10% of what they want to do to franchise for this year's release or down the road? Honestly, I've played enough text sports game to be very nervous when I hear of a major rewrite this close to release; not to mention a graphics based game. I know these guys will do all they can with patches, etc to fix anything that comes up but there always seems to be a nagging situation that drags on to the next version (like the 2013 issue). I was also a little troubled at the first response "what is the 2013 issue?" What? If someone who checks the OS forums doesn't know what the 2013 issue is, that has me a little worried. I know the game will be good and am looking forward to it. Guess I'm just a little jaded by sports games overall....Come on spring training...
I believe that Knight said that Kolbe is well aware of the 2013 issue.

# 83 jcar0725 @ 01/25/11 11:36 AM
Well, this is awesome news, to say the least. I had been debating whether or not to purchase 11, or stick with 10 for awhile. Well you guys just sold me. My $$$$ is ready, bring on 11 !

# 84 Qb @ 01/25/11 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
Anyone want to play the guessing game as to what's been added?

I'm going to say this is what I am hoping for:
  • Three team trades
  • Some sort of 'counter offer' system
  • Some sort of better 'negotiation' system with free agents (counter offers, preferences on what city they want to play, etc.)
  • more than 3 players per side in a trade
All good stuff and would be fantastic if added, but I suspect the improvements are more "under the hood"... CPU decision making when it comes trading, re-signing, free agency, etc.

# 85 HITTERSAURUS REX @ 01/25/11 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KolbeSCEA
{edit} Let me make one fact clear... We did not do even 10% of what I want to do with Franchise... This is the best we can do with the time we have remaining. So dont go expecting Expansion mode or any other nutball idea {/edit}
-K
In a very grateful post contribution. This eyepoping thread topic and your above quote, just adds so much promise to the consumer/developer relations. Considering it's crunchtime for your whole team involved and this news is announced as Massively improved even if it's just a smidget of your overall goals. Not only solidifies purchases for Mar 8th 2011 but continues on for March of 2012..

Bigups to SCEA MLB & OS for providing us members with these type of up to the minute interactions.

# 86 Bat @ 01/25/11 12:52 PM
Awesome news! Better late than never! Thanks.

# 87 radney @ 01/25/11 01:18 PM
Is there any way to incorporate the updated rosters after you start your season or franchise mode?

# 88 Tweeg @ 01/25/11 01:22 PM
So am I the only person wondering why it took this long for the terrible trade logic to be looked at?

# 89 Russell_SCEA @ 01/25/11 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxseed Oil
Anyone want to play the guessing game as to what's been added?

I'm going to say this is what I am hoping for:
  • Three team trades
  • Some sort of 'counter offer' system
  • Some sort of better 'negotiation' system with free agents (counter offers, preferences on what city they want to play, etc.)
  • more than 3 players per side in a trade

Your misunderstanding what's been done there is no new functionality the code has just received a substantial face lift.

# 90 Russell_SCEA @ 01/25/11 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
So am I the only person wondering why it took this long for the terrible trade logic to be looked at?

Our resources and time are finite not infinite. For ever 10 features or changes that make it into the game there are 10 more that don't make it.

# 91 PhillsPhan26 @ 01/25/11 01:43 PM
A whole nother month to wait...

# 92 jcar0725 @ 01/25/11 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg

yes.........

# 93 HustlinOwl @ 01/25/11 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Our resources and time are finite not infinite. For ever 10 features or changes that make it into the game there are 10 more that don't make it.
all subjective

# 94 Craigsca @ 01/25/11 02:14 PM
So, what does this announcement mean? What's been improved? What did the game do poorly before that it won't do now?

I understand SCEA has a great track record (long time customer here), but isn't anyone else concerned that this improvement could actually have nasty repercussions (being so close to the end of the dev cycle), especially when we don't know what it really entails?

I'm all for improvements, but we know nothing of the planning that went into this code (I can only assume it had been on the drawing board for a while - hopefully, anyway). Also, are all-weekend coding sessions that effect the game as much as this does (and this close to release) - is that considered normal?

# 95 jjsmitty34 @ 01/25/11 02:17 PM
It appears they review and tweak the code, this can only be a good thing..

# 96 Sco291 @ 01/25/11 02:25 PM
Any chance we'd get some more screenshots? That'd be cool.

Ugh...all of february to go through, and then 7 endless days of march...

# 97 Knight165 @ 01/25/11 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
Did this mean only 10% of what they want to do to franchise for this year's release or down the road? Honestly, I've played enough text sports game to be very nervous when I hear of a major rewrite this close to release; not to mention a graphics based game. I know these guys will do all they can with patches, etc to fix anything that comes up but there always seems to be a nagging situation that drags on to the next version (like the 2013 issue). I was also a little troubled at the first response "what is the 2013 issue?" What? If someone who checks the OS forums doesn't know what the 2013 issue is, that has me a little worried. I know the game will be good and am looking forward to it. Guess I'm just a little jaded by sports games overall....Come on spring training...

Well...we are now hearing the issue with too many highly rated FA's sitting on the FA list is remedied...but if someone doesn't know what the 2013 issue was...guess what?...It wasn't bothering him!

I'm not worried at all about the fixes...they are not total rewrites as I'm thinking that you think they are. They are "tweaks" to the current system.
At the event...I went over some things with Kolbe after hearing that franchise really didn't get any attention at the time.
He laid it out to me.... get him as much detailed info on the most pressing things in franchise that need attention...that he could do WITHOUT changing existing options and features in the game.(which is why scouting and training(which is good already...yes it needs explaining and can definitely be changed for the better IMO...but...it was just bonking out the FA process as a "problem" with it.) couldn't get worked on)
I focused in(in large part thanks to you guys who pointed this stuff out to tbarnes especially who gave me an AWESOME detailed account on the 2013 FA problem) on....the 2013 FA problem and the trade system.
He took one look at the results and told me he would indeed look into it and fix it if he could in the time left.
IMO....Kolbe is dying to rip and redo franchise in it's entirety. ...but that will be for next year(I hope!)....and from what I hear from him....awesomeness will ensue. There are things that will blow guys away.(some are fringe elements of franchise and carry over from other sections.)...but my point is that these guys know what they want...know what they are doing...HEAR us and what we would like and meld the two together.
It's one of the main reasons I truly enjoy investing my time into The Show...and I truly appreciate the entire team and their efforts.

M.K.
Knight165

# 98 tabarnes19_SDS @ 01/25/11 02:54 PM
I think that, from what I am reading, 2011 will be a better franchise option than 10. Trade logic and budget issues tighted up....make me a happy man! ;-) Next year I am confident franchise will get a whole new look. Be careful what you wish for because sometimes new is not always better. This team is A plus.

# 99 Rwings832 @ 01/25/11 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Well...we are now hearing the issue with too many highly rated FA's sitting on the FA list is remedied...but if someone doesn't know what the 2013 issue was...guess what?...It wasn't bothering him!

I'm not worried at all about the fixes...they are not total rewrites as I'm thinking that you think they are. They are "tweaks" to the current system.
At the event...I went over some things with Kolbe after hearing that franchise really didn't get any attention at the time.
He laid it out to me.... get him as much detailed info on the most pressing things in franchise that need attention...that he could do WITHOUT changing existing options and features in the game.(which is why scouting and training(which is good already...yes it needs explaining and can definitely be changed for the better IMO...but...it was just bonking out the FA process as a "problem" with it.) couldn't get worked on)
I focused in(in large part thanks to you guys who pointed this stuff out to tbarnes especially who gave me an AWESOME detailed account on the 2013 FA problem) on....the 2013 FA problem and the trade system.
He took one look at the results and told me he would indeed look into it and fix it if he could in the time left.
IMO....Kolbe is dying to rip and redo franchise in it's entirety. ...but that will be for next year(I hope!)....and from what I hear from him....awesomeness will ensue. There are things that will blow guys away.(some are fringe elements of franchise and carry over from other sections.)...but my point is that these guys know what they want...know what they are doing...HEAR us and what we would like and meld the two together.
It's one of the main reasons I truly enjoy investing my time into The Show...and I truly appreciate the entire team and their efforts.

M.K.
Knight165
You couldn't have said it any better Knight...I think that says something about the type of people they are and they aren't in any hurry to just release and know everyone will by b/c of past success. I can tell nobody there is satisfied with what they done and always believe they can make the game better...Really I think the game plays really well and very realistically as is, but to add something like a tweak to the trade logic and offseason logic, it just puts icing on the cake in my opinion b/c I think franchise mode is already a fun mode....and I just love how now you have to really use your guys on your roster, no more of just trading a no one for a Miguel Cabrera type player.

# 100 Kolbe @ 01/25/11 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Will this logic be also used for RttS seasons and how the CPU manages teams?
The same logic drives all modes. So yes.

-K

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.