Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

The Fight Night Champion demo is available now for the 360 and later tonight (roughly 9 P.M. EST) for the PS3. Please post your impressions here.

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 81 The Visualizer @ 02/02/11 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
All I know is they got Ali moving slow as hell and his stamina drops way too damn fast. They also seem to have gave Pacman an iron chin in this game. I nailed him 7 times clean with power upper cuts and he didn't even got rocked or nothing.

I like the ref in the ring, even though a couple of times he got in the way when I was trying to circle away. All in all........a must have for me.
you must be playing a different demo then all of us

# 82 TracerBullet @ 02/02/11 02:17 AM
I only got to play one match so far. I enjoyed it except for one thing. I ended up winning the match and there was not way in hell I should have. Ali was better than me in all aspects besides when I rocked him for a second. I liked how Ali used the jab to create some space and backed away when I got a good combo in close.

# 83 Dazraz @ 02/02/11 02:40 AM
There is no doubt this game looks better than ever & I like the feel of the controls.

However the overwhelming feeling I get when playing the demo is just how similar it is to FN4. The commentary is exactly as FN4. This is not good. Just tedious, repetitive, inconsistent drivel. The pre, post & between round sequences are unchanged. The judges are still identified as Judges 1, 2 & 3. How difficult would it have been to include a variety of named judges with different personalities in the game.

Stamina is totally off in the demo. You can throw a ridiculous amount of punches with little detriment to the stamina & recovery rates are ridiculously fast. Hopefully sliders will address this.

All in all I'm somewhat disappointed. This game could be so much more satisfying if EA worked on the presentation.

# 84 sva91 @ 02/02/11 03:48 AM
The more I play this game the more I love it. 360 version feels much smoother online than ps3 version. This game actually rewards you for boxing instead of brawling.. I could only imagine 12 rounds when these spammers are gassed.

I was very frustrated at first with auto block and the brawling, crazy connect rates, but you just have to be patient and really stay focused on boxing. Use the jab go in and out. I usually keep my opponents to under 50% connect rate. I can now even beat PAC with cotto on a pretty regular basis. As long as I don't get sucked into brawling and fight my fight I'm pretty good. Anyone spammers wanna fight a sim guy, sav713 is my gt.

Only thing I really hate about demo is the scoring is soo bogus. If you win 2 rounds but get knocked down, you will automatically lose the fight... It is do flawed, I really hope they fix this.

# 85 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 07:18 AM
Boxing is about control and this game has NONE

Auto block is horrible and here's why

What if I want too work the jab on the outside then too keep my opponent off balance shoot a jab or a straight too the body. With FNC it doesn't matter if I throw too the body or head I know if I press block at the right time the auto block will pick the right place to block for me.

What if I want to get inside and throw a couple of wicked body shots I mean like 2 or 3 hard hooks then as soon as I feel you are about too block down low shoot a mean uppercut or hook that left you wide open because you decided too protect that body. FNC I can't do that all the opponent have too do is hold block and it doesn't matter what I throw the CPU will decide what it wants too block.

Those are just a few reasons why auto block is bad. This is rockem sockem all day. I want too feel the reward of blocking the right punch and countering my self.

Also the new stick controls have anybody looked at the diagram? It's ******** all the punches are like cramed on that stick. I could care less about a hookercut never heard of that by the way. I could car less about a overhand, if EA wanted too add a few more punches in there they should have made us hold a button or something. Now I feel it's impossible too throw what you want 100% of the time he'll the way it's set up i feel it's impossible too throw exactly what you want 60% of the time.

I am disappointed The last time infelt this way was NCAA 09 or 10

# 86 ps3veron @ 02/02/11 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews
I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I didn't want to take up a slot on the boxing forum homepage. Is it possible to download the demo from the internet/website/online, put it on a flash drive, then put the demo on your ps3 via flashdrive, and subsequently install it? You can do this with PS3 system updates, and obviously some other things like custom music, rosters, etc. So I'm hoping you can also do this with a demo.

The reason I ask is because something is wrong with my ps3. It barely registers my wireless connection and it's a blessing if I can download a roster on 2kshare. Sometimes, if pigs are flying by my window and Satan has the flu, I can get a 20mb patch to download without it disconnecting. Downloading a demo is out of the question though.

Obviously, I can't just plug an ethernet cable into the back of my ps3 either, my only option is wireless at this time.

If anyone knows if that's possible or not, please let me know. Like many of us, I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. The fact the demo is out a month earlier than the game is incredible. Thank you guys for reading this and I appreciate your responses.

Mods, if I shouldn't have posted this question here. I promise I will make it up to the board by editing this post and replacing it with impressions after I download the demo.
I did extensive research on this and I can confirm that sadly NO you can't get the demo "offline" (outside PSN). Reason being that the PSN doesn't allow demos or any software (apart from the Firmware) to be uploaded as they violate some of their copyright laws. Sorry man, I even wrote to Sony about this some months back (I work in Africa, where broadband is non-existent).

Your only option is to do a wired connection (trust me, it makes a world of difference!).

To others who tried the demo: Hows the lag online people? Is it like FN4 or better? I also see a lot of complaints on the sound/commentary, given that this is a demo, we should expect limited (and probably) recycled commentary..right?

# 87 Money99 @ 02/02/11 08:23 AM
EFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUU ALI!!

I know this will just show how horrible I am at this game (and all games really), but I cannot beat Ali. I got in about 6 matches last night and Ali is freakin tough.
I don't mind that though.
The only thing I didn't like is getting floored or stunned with body shots. That's never happened to Tyson before.

Anyway, I'm really liking the new punching system. And I like queuing up shots too.
A fighter like Tyson would always through in multiple punches hoping that the sequence opened up opportunities. But you have to be smart about it as you'll become gassed or opened up yourself.

However, with the final version, I'm going to lower accuracy and up the power of flush punches.
There were a few times where I forced Ali to miss with one of his combo's and then deliver a 3-4 punch set myself where the last two hooks landed flush on Ali's face. Unfortunately for me, the punches didn't have much affect.

Still, I love the challenge Ali faces. He's so quick and mobile and his obvious reach advantage had me gritting my teeth. There were many times I simply couldn't reach him, while he used my head like a speed bag.

All in all, I really like this demo. I'm going to try and get more gaming in as today I'm working from home (Snow-mageddon strikes!)

# 88 Hova57 @ 02/02/11 08:31 AM
Does anyone find it alittle hard to get inside with tyson. He felt alittle heavy so did the guy i was playing last night. I need to get that sidestep under control. As far as those who say you can't box, I question whether you know how to . Playing with Ali you can keep them at bay. You can rope a dope but the way the stamina works now punches will get in if you block too long. Overall can't wait to play the retail version. I didn't flash ko but I did hurt guys with good counters. This game is a good step forward. it will be interesting to see how other boxers feel. I know i don't like fighting with Tyson, Pacman is ok but you have to really get good shots in order to win .

# 89 Hova57 @ 02/02/11 08:51 AM
Creep who you playing with in the retail, My main guys will be Juan Lopez and Chico

# 90 JayBee74 @ 02/02/11 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony01313

Auto block is horrible and here's why

What if I want too work the jab on the outside then too keep my opponent off balance shoot a jab or a straight too the body. With FNC it doesn't matter if I throw too the body or head I know if I press block at the right time the auto block will pick the right place to block for me.

What if I want to get inside and throw a couple of wicked body shots I mean like 2 or 3 hard hooks then as soon as I feel you are about too block down low shoot a mean uppercut or hook that left you wide open because you decided too protect that body. FNC I can't do that all the opponent have too do is hold block and it doesn't matter what I throw the CPU will decide what it wants too block.

Those are just a few reasons why auto block is bad. This is rockem sockem all day. I want too feel the reward of blocking the right punch and countering my self.

Also the new stick controls have anybody looked at the diagram? It's ******** all the punches are like cramed on that stick. I could care less about a hookercut never heard of that by the way. I could car less about a overhand, if EA wanted too add a few more punches in there they should have made us hold a button or something. Now I feel it's impossible too throw what you want 100% of the time he'll the way it's set up i feel it's impossible too throw exactly what you want 60% of the time.

I am disappointed The last time infelt this way was NCAA 09 or 10
Your block diminishes by blocking punches, and by holding the block longer than you have too. You have to conserve your block, than apply it at the right time, most optimally right before the punch comes in. This block timing is far more intuitive than trying to pick up whether the punch is going upstairs or downstairs.

So lets end the myth of "Holding The Block And Letting The CPU Do What It Wants To"

# 91 Motown @ 02/02/11 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
EFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUU ALI!!

I know this will just show how horrible I am at this game (and all games really), but I cannot beat Ali. I got in about 6 matches last night and Ali is freakin tough.
I don't mind that though.
The only thing I didn't like is getting floored or stunned with body shots. That's never happened to Tyson before.

Anyway, I'm really liking the new punching system. And I like queuing up shots too.
A fighter like Tyson would always through in multiple punches hoping that the sequence opened up opportunities. But you have to be smart about it as you'll become gassed or opened up yourself.

However, with the final version, I'm going to lower accuracy and up the power of flush punches.
There were a few times where I forced Ali to miss with one of his combo's and then deliver a 3-4 punch set myself where the last two hooks landed flush on Ali's face. Unfortunately for me, the punches didn't have much affect.

Still, I love the challenge Ali faces. He's so quick and mobile and his obvious reach advantage had me gritting my teeth. There were many times I simply couldn't reach him, while he used my head like a speed bag.

All in all, I really like this demo. I'm going to try and get more gaming in as today I'm working from home (Snow-mageddon strikes!)
lol...the pace needs to slow down to WARP speed offline lol that or expand the ring for God sake! It's like to fighters goin' @ it in a 8x8 square I love the controls tho. The boxer models are top notch...visuals are absolutely stunning! footwork much improved over FN4 imo. styles & sig punches are very noticeable i.e.Ali's dancing outside w/ that stinging jab, Tyson's peek-a-boo stance, & devastating uppercut...looks freakishly real.
Pacman's speed & combos,etc..

Maybe it's the camera angle on the issue I'm having w/ the ring bein' so small...i dunno. overall, I can't wait 'till FNC drops...Diggin' it fo sho
remember folks, this a beta of what looks like a very promising boxing 'chise.

I noticed when Tyson's corner told him he was behind in the fight, & that he has to come @ me in this last round...he DID just that lol...as soon as the bell rung for Rd3, Tyson came at me w/ the kitchen sink the cpu gets VERY aggressive when told to...which i love. Overall, FNC is hella better than FN4, & with sliders & online tuners...skies the limit.

# 92 Hova57 @ 02/02/11 09:30 AM
What I find intersting after reading the EA forums alot of guys are complaining about not being able to consistently hit guys(spamming) at least to me. Also alot of complaints bout counter windows. The fact of the matter is this throw three punch combos there will be little counter options. If you throwing alot of punches and they are being blocked or slipped of course there is a counter window. I don't know man its irk some that guys who spamm punches are the biggest complainers right now. I've had slowed down fights if your playing someone who understands boxing. You have guys throwing heavy hooks with tyson from the door. they are gassed before they are thirty seconds in the fight. DEV DON'T CHANGE THAT people need to learn how to box its that simple. Some of the stuff on CountryBoy list needs looked at, but taking out sidestep and such is silly. I would agree though I would like the option of blocking for myself.It seems to me though you need to know when to back off and give youself space.

# 93 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Your block diminishes by blocking punches, and by holding the block longer than you have too. You have to conserve your block, than apply it at the right time, most optimally right before the punch comes in. This block timing is far more intuitive than trying to pick up whether the punch its going upstairs or downstairs.

So lets end the myth of "Holding The Block And Letting The CPU Do What It Wants To"

Its not a myth its a fact jack. Theres no auto block in boxing.

IN real boxing you have too account for every punch well at least see it, if you see a hard hook to the body then you move your body a little or drop your arms some to take away some of that power. Not just hold block and hope it doesn't hurt.

Even if you have auto block when sucks the damn head movement does NOTHING how often do you duck or dodge a punch in this game? The punch percentages are too the roof, you move around the ring like you are boxing in sand, every punch is on target its either blocked or landed and I can deal with that if I can choose were I want to block or dodge.

This game is not boxing is FIGHTING

# 94 DaveDQ @ 02/02/11 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtino
I deleted the demo after five fights.

Playing this demo was actually far worse than watching those demo videos.

There is no sense of boxing skill involved in this game whatsoever. This is not boxing. The best way to describe it is a really cheesy arcade slugfest rockem sockem till somebody drops. The action is way too fast, punches have no pop, stamina seemingly doesn't drain at all and the one button blocking just doesn't work. I don't even understand why they found it necessary to remove the ability to block high and low. The worse part is the delay when punching. It's at least a half second delay and because of it you often end up throwing an extra punch.

That said there is a positive when it comes to the gameplay and that is the full spectrum punch control. They finally got stick punching right.
Because another person decides to play it as an arcade title shouldn't hold you back from trying to respect the sport. While not perfect, the game gives various tools to counter an opponent's arcadish style.

The fact that I can circle the ring with Ali and leave Tyson frustrated is a joy. I am fighting guys where they come out swinging and end up standing still in frustration because they don't know how to box. The problem with this title in the past was that you couldn't use a true boxing style to counter an arcade style. FNC changes that, and you can not be honest if you are saying it doesn't.

My win percentage with this demo is through the roof, and that's because I'm mostly facing guys that refuse to respect the way the game should be played. Is it perfect? No way, but they sure did fix a lot.

# 95 ManiacMatt1782 @ 02/02/11 10:02 AM
I gotta agree with dave here. Footwork isnt perfect but its loads better than any previous fn title.

# 96 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 10:08 AM

looking at this diagram you mean to tell me you guys can throw what punch you want when you want? I mean really how much **** can you put on a stick

# 97 tcrews @ 02/02/11 10:13 AM
PS3Veron - Thank you for your response and research. I really appreciate that. Obviously since you had emailed them a few months back about this, you understand the position I'm in. I wish having a wired connection was an option, but sadly it's literally impossible right now.

Fortunately though, I was able to get it last night when I brought my PS3 to my fiancee's house last night.

Back to the topic: Opinions seem half and half, one extreme or the other. People either "love" it right off, or after they've played it a few more times and gotten better at the game. I've read that a few people feel as though you can truly "box" in this game, finally. Which is nice to read, but it seems as though the other half think this game is complete garbage. I've read every post on this thread and it seems as though the majority of people are slightly to severely disappointed with this demo/game.

I guess after reading all of this, I'm just wondering what exactly they worked on this entire time. They put in a story/career mode, which I probably won't touch. It just reminds me of WWE's Road to Wrestlemania story mode. Use someone they pick for you and watch a story play out in between fights and training. I'm not really a fan of that, personally.

I buy sports games so I can play a simulation/video game version of the sport it represents. I've asked a few of my friends that love the Fight Night series and/or Boxing, and they also have 0 interest in playing this new story mode. They, much like myself, just want to box, fight, win, lose, learn, practice, bob and weave. I could understand trying to do something a little different if they had long perfected all of the gameplay elements, presentation, and made a brilliant re-creation of the sport of boxing. Personally, I don't believe they have done that.

I cannot imagine showing my friends my incredibly expensive new spoiler, my $1500 apiece rims, my insane sound system that can be heard for miles, and my engine that will leave any other car in the dust. Problem being, I don't actually have a car yet. Adding bells and whistles to a non existent or incomplete product is just absurd.

Full Spectrum punching is a good idea, it works well. Even though I had became proficient over the years at their TPC control scheme. I can't say it ever felt natural to make a sweeping motion from 9o'clock to 12o'clock on the right stick while standing on your head and eating a pop tart just to throw one left hook. Which if you hadn't finished chewing your pop tart, would result in a headbutt. But I digress....

Critically speaking, NBA 2k and The Show, not to mention EA's very own NHL series, seem to strive for realism and perfection. They are almost always met with near unanimous high praise and solid review scores. From what I also gather, the aforementioned games are not exactly struggling when it comes to sales. You also have to factor in how popular the sport is. Due to the fact they essentially hold the market on boxing games. Why not attempt to make it as realistic as possible, get great reviews, and see how their sales do? I understand the need to attempt to reach all audiences but they really need to do something different.

This is honestly the best way I can put it,

When an artist comes out with a CD, they don't make one country song, one rap song, one R&B song, one rock song, one death metal song, etc etc. They come out with a bunch of songs in the genre of the music that they love to create. Though I've only been on this Earth for 26 years, I've yet to hear of an R&B artist suffering in sales because their CD isn't appealing to Country Western fans.

As I would hope EA knows, when you create and sell a boxing game, your fans are most likely to be...yes, you guessed it correctly, boxing fans. Using that logic, why would you make a boxing game that isn't realistic enough for the boxing fans that comprise the bulk of your sales?? All the while (using the past TPC control scheme as a reference point) is too difficult for most casual fans to learn, and thus, not be fun for them?? Instead of either a simulation, or an arcade game. You've ended up making a halfway-in-between mess of a game that only successfully manages to alienate both groups.

NBA 2k put something in their game this year that was overlooked by most, but I couldn't fathom why it hadn't been in any other sports game before. Though they absolutely could've, they didn't tout this as some groundbreaking new feature either. Truth be told, I'd been suggesting it to friends for years, wondering why it was never in a game. 2k11 allowed you to select a few different gameplay settings that literally changed the game on the fly depending on the player, skill level, and how they wanted their game to play. The options are Default, Casual, Simulation, and of course, Custom.

It's incredible to finally see a company realize they don't have to screw up their entire game trying to appeal to every single type of basketball fan. If 2k didn't have these options, or the dozens of sliders they have. It would be just like fight night, not simulation enough for the die hards, not easy enough to learn for the casuals, and not arcadey enough for people that like to dunk from the foul line and win by 70 every game. In turn, alienating all three groups of gamers.

I just wish Fight Night would follow suit, because despite what I'm saying. I still always enjoy the game for the first couple months it comes out. It's also very easy to see that the potential for an incredible, realistic, beautiful game/representation of the sport of boxing is right in front of us, and the producers. Will it ever be realized? I have no idea, but I'm hopeful.

I realize that this isn't the typical "presentation is bad, gameplay is good" type of impression. But this is what I've come to understand from this game and subsequently this franchise after playing the demo for awhile. It's not nearly simulation enough to appeal to the bulk of us here on OS. That's not to say it's a horrible game and everyone at EA should be fired. Because that's not the case.

I'm having fun with it, but like some other people have written. You cannot play it while holding it to the standard of real boxing, because you'll be severely disappointed. It's a fun game, there are definitely improvements. Graphics are great, Gameplay feels a little better than last year, full spectrum punching works well after you take a few fights to get used to it. But ultimately it feels like this is yet another year where the guys at Fight Night tried way too hard to please everybody, and in turn made a game that has no true home.

I truly believe that giving us multiple gameplay settings would fix everything if coupled with a much more robust selection of sliders. Also, sliders in their game should go from 1 to 100, like 2K. 1 to 10 just doesn't work for a multitude of reasons. Obviously though, this could already be in Champion since I haven't seen the list of current sliders and if they're still 1 through 10 or if they've expanded upon that.

Truth be told, if they were to implement the aforementioned different gameplay types. The good thing is that all they would have to do between now and the next iteration of the game is work on the true to life, completely realistic gameplay setting and all that comes with it. Because they have the arcade game version already, as well as the casual version.

I realize this is a very long winded and detailed post. I'm just real tired of them creating boxing games that attempt to appeal to everyone, which in turn, are loved by no one.

# 98 Kanobi @ 02/02/11 10:13 AM
Quote:

looking at this diagram you mean to tell me you guys can throw what punch you want when you want? I mean really how much **** can you put on a stick
That diagram says it all. lol@Hookercut

# 99 Hova57 @ 02/02/11 10:15 AM
Quote:

I felt the same way when I started playing,but you just have to make a conscious effort while playing offline to know what your throwing. once you understand your hand movement it will feel better and you'll have more control. In the heat of battle i realized I'm getting hit cause I kept throwing hooks instead of jabs just a slight tweak and I was tagging him up with straights and jabs. If i want to play a fighting game with all that flicking of the stick i could play street fighter.

# 100 Hova57 @ 02/02/11 10:24 AM
Tcrew to really base public opinion on OS you should look at the post of those who been in the forum on a regular basis , not those who maybe read and not posted . I can honestly say the guys who been here for awhile in this forum like the game even some who maynot have liked it at first. Nothing against the guys who disagree, but Creep, Mo, Phobia, Money,JayBee, Dave, Shakurr, Sausage, BQ and couple other guys I would look to see how they feel about the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.