Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

The Fight Night Champion demo is available now for the 360 and later tonight (roughly 9 P.M. EST) for the PS3. Please post your impressions here.

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 101 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5000
Dude, it doesn't look like it's that hard to do. Personally I'd rather have it like that. It beats having to do the old Street Fighter "Hadouken" motion to throw a punch.

Seriously, what's the problem with that?
man everything is way too close together you can't even put a proper combination together with out throwing the wrong punch most the time. Also Hookercut I mean what the hell is that.

Also it felt tactical with TPC flicking the stick up for the jab and throwing a hook in a hooking motion. BUT THE AUTO BLOCK is really the deal breaker for me, I mean really AUTO BLOCK

# 102 IV THA UNITY @ 02/02/11 10:31 AM
I actually like this game. The only problem I have with the actual boxing is the movement, it still seems to force me too far in when moving forward. It seems hard to keep distance but not as hard as fnr4 was. .I think the stamina is just about right judging by the fact that there are only three rounds and while punch spamming my stamina had lost about a 3rd or quarter of meter. If you continue to about 6 rounds thats about half and by the end of the fight you should have no meter. So the stamina seems about right to me.

# 103 DaveDQ @ 02/02/11 10:39 AM
Anyone notice the split-second stun animation that is different than the dramatic stun state? Sometimes, if you counter to the head or body, the fighter will quickly wince. It's a nice touch showing that you hurt them and can capitalize on it.

# 104 JayBee74 @ 02/02/11 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
I felt the same way when I started playing,but you just have to make a conscious effort while playing offline to know what your throwing. once you understand your hand movement it will feel better and you'll have more control. In the heat of battle i realized I'm getting hit cause I kept throwing hooks instead of jabs just a slight tweak and I was tagging him up with straights and jabs. If i want to play a fighting game with all that flicking of the stick i could play street fighter.
If you're up close enough your straights (jab and crosses) will turn into hooks. So if your not spaced properly for delivery of the jab and cross you will compromise yourself if your fighter is more boxer than slugger, or if his best punches are the straights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Anyone notice the split-second stun animation that is different than the dramatic stun state? Sometimes, if you counter to the head or body, the fighter will quickly wince. It's a nice touch showing that you hurt them and can capitalize on it.
Yeah, I noticed that.

# 105 tcrews @ 02/02/11 10:49 AM
Hova - I read every post on this thread indiscriminately. I treated every post like it was everyone's first post. I always look at reviews/impressions objectively. I've been on the OS forums enough to know the users in a few different forums (Madden, 2k, Fight Night) whom have highly respected opinions. Sometimes I'll go with that if I need a quick answer. But 9 times out of 10 Every user is the same to me.

My post was not to say that it seemed as though everyone disliked the demo/game. Just pointing out that after reading them all, a majority are anywhere from slightly to severely disappointed. That's not to say that it's an overwhelming majority, or that it means the majority of people hate this game. A lot of the posts that were somewhere in the aforementioned disappointment scale often complimented the game in a multitude of areas. But their disappointment lay within a key part of the game for them personally.

The summation of my post was that it looked like, at least from the demo and subsequent community responses. We have yet another sports game that went out of it's way to try and appeal to every corner of the market. Which unfortunately has resulted in some very essential core boxing aspects, mechanics, and technicalities being left out or forgotten. That's without getting into the presentation/commentary flap. I'm a fan of the Fight Night series. Despite everything, I've seen them make steady improvements over the years. It's obvious that Champion could be very, very good with some slider tweaks, tuner sets, and of course a patch or two. It has enormous potential.

# 106 Hova57 @ 02/02/11 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
If you're up close enough your straights (jab and crosses) will turn into hooks. So if your not spaced properly for delivery of the jab and cross you will compromise yourself if your fighter is more boxer than slugger, or if his best punches are the straights.

Yeah, I noticed that.
yea i think that's cool though that you punch wraps around the head if your not spaced right. it happens in real boxing that way.when you give up your reach you tend to give up some punches .

# 107 JayBee74 @ 02/02/11 11:01 AM
Quote:
yea i think that's cool though that you punch wraps around the head if your not spaced right. it happens in real boxing that way.when you give up your reach you tend to give up some punches .
Right, but Ali's hook ratings are absurd. He was weak in that department yet EA gives him a max Right Hook rating of 20 and a Left Hook rating off 17. NO WAY EA!!!

# 108 albsur2003 @ 02/02/11 11:06 AM
Tried out the demo last night playing as Pacquiao against Cotto. I will say that I was WORRIED about the sluggish footwork but playing the demo, it seems as if I'm able to move around much easier and quicker. I'm able to get in and out. The ring feels BIGGER, which is really a plus. I'm really digging the camera angles. I feel like I can pull off most of the combinations that I want to but sometimes the punches are so close together that I mess up. Think I will get better with time. I'm impressed with the demo and I will be purchasing this game. Can't wait to get my custom boxers in this game.

# 109 Hova57 @ 02/02/11 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews
Hova - I read every post on this thread indiscriminately. I treated every post like it was everyone's first post. I always look at reviews/impressions objectively. I've been on the OS forums enough to know the users in a few different forums (Madden, 2k, Fight Night) whom have highly respected opinions. Sometimes I'll go with that if I need a quick answer. But 9 times out of 10 Every user is the same to me.

My post was not to say that it seemed as though everyone disliked the demo/game. Just pointing out that after reading them all, a majority are anywhere from slightly to severely disappointed. That's not to say that it's an overwhelming majority, or that it means the majority of people hate this game. A lot of the posts that were somewhere in the aforementioned disappointment scale often complimented the game in a multitude of areas. But their disappointment lay within a key part of the game for them personally.

The summation of my post was that it looked like, at least from the demo and subsequent community responses. We have yet another sports game that went out of it's way to try and appeal to every corner of the market. Which unfortunately has resulted in some very essential core boxing aspects, mechanics, and technicalities being left out or forgotten. That's without getting into the presentation/commentary flap. I'm a fan of the Fight Night series. Despite everything, I've seen them make steady improvements over the years. It's obvious that Champion could be very, very good with some slider tweaks, tuner sets, and of course a patch or two. It has enormous potential.
That's cool , i just hate to see people get the wrong impression about our boards. I feel like you get the realist answers and opinions here , especially compared to ea forums. I feel like this game will be better when you have more rounds to fight. lets face it if you feel like your behind in cards come the third round it will be a slugfest. I would say though the list Country and Vast came up with have very valid points, i want to avoid to totally scrap out some good points of the game.

# 110 Hova57 @ 02/02/11 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Right, but Ali's hook ratings are absurd. He was weak in that department yet EA gives him a max Right Hook rating of 20 and a Left Hook rating off 17. NO WAY EA!!!
that's the beauty of this game though you can actually change it now.

# 111 BQ32 @ 02/02/11 11:13 AM
I have a suspicion that most of the people with sever complaints about this game really just have not developed any skill at it. You can control everything easily and box and counter beutifully so I do get tired of listening to the whining. Just learn the nuances of the game and how to play. Everyone loves 2k11 but those controls are a little hard to master at first if you had not played every iteration, once you get it down everyone loves it (except me but I still play it lol). Last night online I went 12 and 0 with six knockout before I finally got tagged with a one puch KO in a fight I was dominating but I did get reckless. Every match has seemed like a boxing match. People really just have to learn how to play to realize how good the gameplay actually is.

# 112 BQ32 @ 02/02/11 11:21 AM
And another thing, why don't people get on the demo and fight the cpu for a while until they get the controls, timing, and movement down before they jump online and start hacking at each other, have a bad experience and then come on the blogs and be completely negative about it. I fought 25-30 times at least against the cpu before I went online so I would understand how to fight and could kick some ***. I used every fighter, looked at their strengths and weaknesses and then boxed accordingly. It is an amazing expereince to fight like the real life counterpart and dominate with that style.

# 113 ps3veron @ 02/02/11 11:22 AM
Just tried and its rubbing in on me. There is this "claustrophobic" feeling (as someone said everything feels close) but overall I'm buying it!

EA please extend the online till the release!

# 114 JayBee74 @ 02/02/11 11:29 AM
Quote:
that's the beauty of this game though you can actually change it now.
I wonder if that's editable for the Team Gyms too. I know sliders are.

# 115 allBthere @ 02/02/11 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony01313
man everything is way too close together you can't even put a proper combination together with out throwing the wrong punch most the time. Also Hookercut I mean what the hell is that.

Also it felt tactical with TPC flicking the stick up for the jab and throwing a hook in a hooking motion. BUT THE AUTO BLOCK is really the deal breaker for me, I mean really AUTO BLOCK
It's a punch used everyday in boxing. Do you watch the sport? If you're in the ring you're not forced to throw a hook with your arm perfectly parallel to the floor. I guess you've never seen an overhand right either.

I've heard the term used many many times on TV - and I'm glad I can throw the punch now, in fact it's always been one of my fav's.

ps. I'm having next to no problem with the controls, the only thing I do occasionally is throw a lead overhand while wanting a hook, but it doesn't happen too often.

# 116 beermn76 @ 02/02/11 11:36 AM
Like a few things on the demo: the graphics are fantastic.
BUT: It just doesn't feel like boxing. Gameplay is way too fast, stamina unrealistic, lousy commentary.
No drama with decisions. Why can't scorecards be read? Better presentation is needed. I like RD 3 GAMEPLAY better. Very disappointed.

Just my 2 cents.

# 117 tcrews @ 02/02/11 11:49 AM
BQ - You're absolutely right. You stated that you play(ed) 2k11. If you were on the OS 2k forum around launch. I'm sure you remember how many people were freaking out that they had no control, the game was way too hard, impossible, shots never went in, and it was basically the worst basketball game ever. lol. In reality, had they actually attempted to learn before they started freaking out, they may have discovered that they were very deep controls for any type of game, let alone a sports game. On top of that, everyone is so used to mastering a game in 5 minutes, they had no clue what to do when that didn't happen.

As far as Champion goes, I'm sure the same thing applies here. You would think that with a brand new control scheme unveiled, people would understand they're not going to grasp it instantaneously. Most of us have been using their Total Punch Control since Knockout Kings turned into Fight Night. So naturally, how could we not throw the wrong punches at first? Going from doing a 9 to 12 motion for a left hook to just flicking a direction is obviously a drastic change and takes a bit to get adjusted to, no matter how much "easier" the new control scheme is.

My impressions on the page before this are not exactly a glowing review. But I do really like the switch to Full-Spectrum Punching. Aside from accessibility, the thing I like about it the most is that those who choose to not invest the time to learning it's subtle nuances and just want to swing for the fences are more than welcome to do so. Consequently, the people that put in the time, effort, and practice will likely beat those aforementioned wild throwing/spamming opponents 95% of the time. The fact that it rewards practice and learning is a huge step forward. We all know what last years online matches were all about. Kudos to EA on taking care of this aspect.

I'm happy that with Champion, much like 2k11. Thoughtful, strategic, and technical players are rewarded for their skills, rather than penalized from the person on the other end simply abusing flaws in the gameplay mechanics and/or programming. Here's hoping that things stay this way and there's no crazy exploit that's opened up and changes things.

If skill is rewarded even in 3 round fights. I would imagine in a 12 round fight, with stamina and damage playing much more of a role, it'll be an even greater reward for the sim players. For that, I'm definitely thankful

# 118 BezO @ 02/02/11 11:50 AM
Ehhh, lump me with the odd balls that don't like the game. Sure, it's much improved, but it's like Madden. The game was so far from a simulation of the sport that even decent improvements leave it short.

Punching: Nice! I remember asking for this as soon as they introduced the sticks. The swooping movements were just too much for me. The new system takes some getting used to but I feel much more in control then in previous versions. Unfortuanately, this is where my praise ends.

Camera: Even with the new camera, the constant panning is getting on my nerves. I really need a stationary camera or one that pans slightly, allowing the boxers to move around the screen/ring. The view makes me feel like I'm standing on the endge of the ring, running around as the boxers move. And it doesn't allow us to see the boxers at different angles. Sure, we get to see them verticle for a few seconds at a time, but it kills the presentation of the game.

Stamina: I won't say much as most feel the same way, but yeah, even for 3 rounds, too many punches can be thrown without enough stamina being drained, especially for the heavy weights.

Footwork: I can't understand how this is not botthering more people. Ali can get around a bit better than other boxers, but it's not nearly fluid/quick enough, and he wasn't the only boxer with good feet. What made Tyson great was he was a power puncher with SPEED. Why is he so slow? He looks like Frazier. Aside from being too slow, the footwork animations are just not appropriate. Boxers do a lot of skipping, especially the lighter weights. The step, step, box pattern is ugly.

KOs: As soon as I read about this I new EA would take it too far. This has to be tamed, especially for boxers like Tyson. I won't say one of the best, but he had a great chin. As his skills eroded, that & his power were still there. If Rooney were still with Tyson, we might not have ever seen him get knocked out. If this is prime Tyson, they have to up his ratings in addition to taming the KOs.

And some boxers should always get a count, just out of respect. Even when Tyson got knocked out he always TRIED to get up. Buster & Lewis LAID HIM OUT and he still managed to get to his knees.

Knockdowns: The game needs more knockdown animations. Too many limp boxers, especially if they're getting up at a 4 count.

Ref: OK, he's there, but you wouldn't know it until the cut scenes. Has anyone seen him break a clinch, give a warning, anything?

Blocking: I like the auto block. I don't like the stamina tied to holding your guard up. I don't know how an established boxer's training goes, but the little bit of training I did, I remember going round after round of just skipping around, holding my guard up in the beginning. IMO, this is one area where stamina needs to be tamed.

I would say I'm asking for too much, but I'm only going by what 2K & The Show provide. A simulation of the sport.

# 119 1000Islander @ 02/02/11 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
It's a punch used everyday in boxing. Do you watch the sport? If you're in the ring you're not forced to throw a hook with your arm perfectly parallel to the floor. I guess you've never seen an overhand right either.

I've heard the term used many many times on TV - and I'm glad I can throw the punch now, in fact it's always been one of my fav's.

ps. I'm having next to no problem with the controls, the only thing I do occasionally is throw a lead overhand while wanting a hook, but it doesn't happen too often.
Hookercut, Shovel Hook, 45er.....

# 120 DaveDQ @ 02/02/11 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
And another thing, why don't people get on the demo and fight the cpu for a while until they get the controls, timing, and movement down before they jump online and start hacking at each other, have a bad experience and then come on the blogs and be completely negative about it. I fought 25-30 times at least against the cpu before I went online so I would understand how to fight and could kick some ***. I used every fighter, looked at their strengths and weaknesses and then boxed accordingly. It is an amazing expereince to fight like the real life counterpart and dominate with that style.
That's a good point.

I'm also highly impressed with this demo's load times. It's within seconds that you are in the ring fighting.

On another note, I know this is an M rated game, but the soundtrack is blatantly out of hand. It's like a tall glass of profanity along side an enjoyable demo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.