Home
Madden 12 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson interviewed Ian Cummings, as they discuss the recently announced surprise onside kicks and tuner sets, coming to Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
Jon Robinson: You mentioned the tuner sets that will be in "Madden NFL 12." Can you explain how that addition will benefit gamers?

Ian Cummings: Anytime there's a bug or an exploit after launch, the majority of time you have to patch it. And doing a patch or a title update requires approvals and you need to resubmit the game. The whole process usually takes about four-to-six weeks to turnaround, from the day you make your fix to the day it gets out to consumers. But with tuner sets, it's not every little piece of code. These are small pieces of data that we are able to update in real time. We can do a little bit of testing on our end, then push it out right away. If you think about how roster updates work, that's the way a tuner set would work. Instead of waiting on the turnaround of the approvals, we can apply the fix right away. If there's any type of problem where there are too many fumbles or the offensive line isn't blocking right, tuner sets are perfect because you can make the change, get it in the game in a couple of days, and then gauge the reaction from that and make changes accordingly. It really allows you to go back and forth with the community and make the game better for everyone."

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 STLRams @ 02/10/11 08:17 AM
I maybe wrong but the tuner sets just sounds like sliders to me? I've always hated how Madden doesn't have there sliders set up like the other sports game and don't seem to work like the other ones. IDK fellas, this is Madden hype train starting its engine and I just get tired of jumping aboard every year for this stuff. I just want to finally play a fun SIM football game with the feel of im watching a real NFL game in action. I get that feeling with basketball and baseball with NBA2K11 and MLB The show, I want this in NFL football.

# 22 roadman @ 02/10/11 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
I maybe wrong but the tuner sets just sounds like sliders to me?
I agree that some sliders don't work, especially the penalty sliders. Maybe with these tuner sets, the penalty sliders will finally work the way they are suppose to work.

I do though only disagree with the above statement.

This is a sentence from Ian's halftime blog;

This isn't the only thing in the tuner sets obviously...we are in the process of moving as many items into these as possible, from gameplay tuning to franchise data to even presentation aspects.

# 23 Hova57 @ 02/10/11 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Tuner sets are huge for the consumer as well. If running backs are only avg 3.2 yds per carry across the board, tuner set time. I'm a big stat person and I respect everyone's opinion, but for me, the stat nut, this a huge feature.

Also, just because they release info in small amounts early on, doesn't mean there isn't something that looms larger, game play, presentation and franchise wise down the road.

Some people are trying to compare SOK's to what's behind door #1, door #2 and door #3. Pretty difficult to judge when there isn't anything to compare it with.

For example, it's much easier for me to look and compare franchise info in May and put it up against SOK's in early February.
Right Road, most of the time in madden when it comes to patches alot of it could have been fixed through tuner updates. But really man like you said its Feb and people come out the woodwork to complain about a game that doesn't come out til August

# 24 jjsmitty34 @ 02/10/11 09:28 AM
I'm sorry but a special about On-side kicks... Uggg, it would be like if The Show did a special on their new bat boy animation.

I really hope, Ian and company have alot more surpises coming up because currently it appears I'm going to be waiting on Madden another year (I last bought madden in 2008).

# 25 roadman @ 02/10/11 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmitty34
I'm sorry but a special about On-side kicks... Uggg, it would be like if The Show did a special on their new bat boy animation.
Sounds like your expectations were high on the initial blog, but for the past two years, this has been how the information has been given out.

Tuner sets is an advantage, but some people are glossing over that.

Need to wait for the bigger guns.

# 26 mm boost @ 02/10/11 09:37 AM
Here is a legitimate question for Ian:

With this new surprise onside kick mechanic, did you guys actually fix the ball physics?? Right now in all of the Maddens, the ball is filled with lard, and soon as it hits the ground it either spins 100 times while laying in place on the ground, or it hits the ground and never bounces (soooo unrealistic). This has been one of my biggest gripes for a long time. 2k sports got their ball physics damn near perfect, I'd love to see EA fix this. This could be huge in onside kicks, fumbles, tipped passes, punts inside the 20, etc. This is a huge thing that should be fixed going forward in both NCAA and Madden.

# 27 roadman @ 02/10/11 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieV
What were the bigger guns last year? I really hope they've got a lot bigger ones in store this year.
I hope so too, but to answer you question, that question is subjective. If I shout out an answer, I'm sure it will be debated by someone who didn't care for that feature or feels it should have been in the game when Madden first came out in 1989.

# 28 roadman @ 02/10/11 10:32 AM
Quote:
Like Gameflow? Here's a link to the "first details and screens" that IGN ran last March 23rd -- which focused on a new Catch Debugging Tool.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1079303p1.html

My only point is, maybe it doesn't always pay to say we're still a long ways from launch and to just wait on the bigger guns. Sometimes, we can get an idea early what's in store (or not).
I guess I still don't see your point??????

First of all, that article is 6 weeks away from being a year old. Secondly, most of the things in that article of the catch debug tool I've seen in Madden 11.

Sideline awareness, toe tapping in the end zone, Driver and Jennings leaping for the ball, etc.....

It's up to anyone if they want to judge early on a nugget of info in February.

# 29 BezO @ 02/10/11 10:44 AM
Tuner sets sound great. Never against avoiding bureaucracy.

I like not having to select surprise onside in the hudle since your opponent can see your plays. Glad they thought about the off-line gamer for once.

But it already sounds like too many limits for onside kicks. As an off-line gamer, I could care less about someone cheesing online. What's with these universal limits? How about letting us set the limit? Or how about implementing a limit for online games only? Or, how about using the new tuner sets if someone finds an exploit? Isn't this exactly what it's for?

Here's my scenario: I or the CPU surprise onside kicks at the half a la the Saints. Later in the game, I or the CPU is down by 4 with 4 minutes left. The opponent may be expecting me to kick away & play defense. But me or the CPU can't surprise onside because we used it at the start of the 3rd qtr.

And I hope they consider my retier for offense/special teams play calling. We need a personel selection first. Regarding kick-offs/returns, it would allow us to choose hands or normal. With the hands team, we could still kick away. And with the normal team, we could surprise onside kick.

# 30 khaliib @ 02/10/11 11:16 AM
For those saying it's too early.

Well it's not too early to address the issues that the community has found through rating/slider testing.
It's not to early to address whether those things found have been dealt with.

The pase TWO years such statements have been made, and everytime 1000 of post are don about those issues that should've been addressed before release.

This is a FACT!!!

They could at least address what they've done about the issues found that gamers spend hours testing to find.

Let me show you this is not some fly-by statement made in the air:
1) Superman Jump by LB's preventing throws over top. Noted 2 yrs ago, still in the game!

2) Flash Gordon field coverage by 2 Safeties that cover the entire field downfield. Noted 2 yrs ago, still in the Game!

3) Psych Corners running WR routes before they do. Noted 2 yrs ago, still in the game!

4) High Player Recognition creating Super DLine accross the board. Noted this year, history says it will be in!

5) Suction Blocking noted like 10 years ago, still in the game!

The list could go on and on.

These are not new features we're talking about, these are issues that gamers have noted that have been killing gameplay year after year. (key words "Year After Year").

So are you guys saying its too early to address that these issues have been dealt with?
Let me guess, you think Tuner Sets will address these?

Well let's see how EA has used Tuner Sets thus far.
NCAA team got community excited thinking these would be implemented as we found the "SAME" issues popping up.

Well they made there tweaks/adjustments, and forced them down the communites throat. Gamers didn't get to chance to chose if they wanted them.

Their tweaks in the end just Broke the Game even more, then they just the left the community High and Dry.

Funny thing is the same process has/is being said pertaining to NCAA Football the past 2 years.

"It's way too early for information"

When will it not be too early to respond to the issues that hindered the last release?

# 31 roadman @ 02/10/11 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
For those saying it's too early.

Well it's not too early to address the issues that the community has found through rating/slider testing.
It's not to early to address whether those things found have been dealt with.

The pase TWO years such statements have been made, and everytime 1000 of post are don about those issues that should've been addressed before release.

This is a FACT!!!

They could at least address what they've done about the issues found that gamers spend hours testing to find.

Let me show you this is not some fly-by statement made in the air:
1) Superman Jump by LB's preventing throws over top. Noted 2 yrs ago, still in the game!

2) Flash Gordon field coverage by 2 Safeties that cover the entire field downfield. Noted 2 yrs ago, still in the Game!

3) Psych Corners running WR routes before they do. Noted 2 yrs ago, still in the game!

4) High Player Recognition creating Super DLine accross the board. Noted this year, history says it will be in!

5) Suction Blocking noted like 10 years ago, still in the game!

The list could go on and on.

These are not new features we're talking about, these are issues that gamers have noted that have been killing gameplay year after year. (key words "Year After Year").

So are you guys saying its too early to address that these issues have been dealt with?
Let me guess, you think Tuner Sets will address these?

Well let's see how EA has used Tuner Sets thus far.
NCAA team got community excited thinking these would be implemented as we found the "SAME" issues popping up.

Well they made there tweaks/adjustments, and forced them down the communites throat. Gamers didn't get to chance to chose if they wanted them.

Their tweaks in the end just Broke the Game even more, then they just the left the community High and Dry.

Funny thing is the same process has/is being said pertaining to NCAA Football the past 2 years.

"It's way too early for information"

When will it not be too early to respond to the issues that hindered the last release?
I think you are jumping the gun a bit on the "too early" phrase.

EA will not come and announce in early Feb fixed this, fixed that, etc.... From now until release, they will announce "new" features that made it into the game. I don't recall a time between games when they announced they fixed this or that from the past.

That has always come in patches.

I think they used a tuner set with the last patch and it did help on coverage in the flats.

# 32 Pared @ 02/10/11 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavonBrown
And if you look at the video, the kick didn't even look realistic. Their was no contact or interaction between players and players didn't even run towards the football.
I'm sure they know this. The point was to show you that it is something they are working on, hence the WIP tag.

In a work in progress, you'll see things like that. You can't get annoyed - it's a work in progress.

If they release the game like that it's one thing, but at this stage your feedback could be better used to shape what it could look like as opposed to complain about the way it is.

# 33 MAzing87 @ 02/10/11 11:45 AM
Player interactions? How about how the players moves in relation to the field. It's often irritating that animations will play out in its entirety to the point where the playing level of the field doesn't matter. It just looks so clunky when defenders are tackling and the animation plays throughout often sliding players out of place or suction tackling happens in relation to the field.

Jersey Suave post simply nails it to the tea of what Madden 12 should be like. With concentration on the areas he mentioned in his post, Madden will be relevant to many many fans. If the team focuses on these areas, and make them work, you can bet I won't skip Madden 12 much like I did with Madden 11.

# 34 Dazraz @ 02/10/11 11:49 AM
The fact that EA are planning to limit the number of Onside Kicks shows a realisation that when all is said & done this play will be exploitable. As an Offline player only I have no problems with this.

# 35 roadman @ 02/10/11 11:59 AM
I think it's a great idea to limit it to one per game.

How many do you see during a reg game?

I know the Packers pulled it off this year.

# 36 BostonJay14 @ 02/10/11 12:06 PM
I'm glad tuners are in, but lets be honest, this should be listed as a "feature" or brought to us as if it is some addition. Its not a feature - its a tool they can use to tweak things because they may not have got it right the first time. this should be a given, not an extra.

tuners should not be a "back of the box" type thing. it should just be there because they have the ability. its not like we are talking about some huge technological breakthrough here... tis just the ability to patch the game faster...

and if things are done right, we shouldnt need quick patches

# 37 khaliib @ 02/10/11 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I think you are jumping the gun a bit on the "too early" phrase.

EA will not come and announce in early Feb fixed this, fixed that, etc.... From now until release, they will announce "new" features that made it into the game. I don't recall a time between games when they announced they fixed this or that from the past.

That has always come in patches.

I think they used a tuner set with the last patch and it did help on coverage in the flats.
How am I jumping the gun abit with this phrase?
Add some meat to your response.

What good is new inclusions if issues that plague prior release have not been address?
And the point that they have never released information about fixes from prior release is the reason I posted the post.

That flat issue was noted 3 yrs ago, and they sold the game with it still in so there's no "Thumbs Up" for a patch in 2010 release that somewhat addressed the issue.

I would also point to the 1000's of "After Release" issues post that would say I'm not jumping the gun.

# 38 roadman @ 02/10/11 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
How am I jumping the gun abit with this phrase?
Add some meat to your response.

What good is new inclusions if issues that plague prior release have not been address?
And the point that they have never released information about fixes from prior release is the reason I posted the post.

That flat issue was noted 3 yrs ago, and they sold the game with it still in so there's no "Thumbs Up" for a patch in 2010 release that somewhat addressed the issue.

I would also point to the 1000's of "After Release" issues post that would say I'm not jumping the gun.
What I'm saying, we are not on the same page referencing the phrase"too early." I'm talking about the the way the company releases information from small to big from Feb to July.

You are talking about your own thoughts and ideas on the game and the fixes that should occur from the past. I don't disagree with you on those, but based on past history, I don't feel they will comment on fixing issues from the past.

It's all a part of marketing.

# 39 TracerBullet @ 02/10/11 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I don't really see any of these as being features.

The tuner sets are essentially just a new and faster way for the developers to correct things they should have done in development - nice, but a bigger deal for EA than for the consumers, IMO.

Surprise onside kick is just a new addition to the playbook, which is hardly a feature by any means. That'll be like calling a play-action pass or a fleaflicker for a feature instead of a play.

Also what's the deal with limiting it to one time per game?? It that EA's new approach? "Sorry, but in Madden 12 you can only throw 14 deep balls per game and 7 times in the flats, otherwise people might exploit the game." I'd settle for some adaptive AI that recognizes that people are using "surprise" onside kicks--can't really call it a surprise if people use it once per game anyway.
They limit it to one time per game because they know the majority of people don't want to deal with it happening every kickoff when they play online. I personally feel they shouldn't limit it offline, but I can definitely see why on the online limit. And these aren't back of the box features, just a small bit of info that is actually more at this point than last year's half-time blog. And last time I checked, most sports games do still get patches to fix things. Tuner sets allow them to fix things without having to wait 8 weeks for a patch. They are an upgrade in that area.
Quote:
Like Gameflow? Here's a link to the "first details and screens" that IGN ran last March 23rd -- which focused on a new Catch Debugging Tool.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1079303p1.html

My only point is, maybe it doesn't always pay to say we're still a long ways from launch and to just wait on the bigger guns. Sometimes, we can get an idea early what's in store (or not).
Last year's first Madden info also came at halftime at the Super Bowl and it was a video of Ian introducing the Madden developers pretty much.

# 40 AnonTech @ 02/11/11 03:12 AM
"tuner sets are perfect because you can make the change, get it in the game in a couple of days, and then gauge the reaction from that and make changes accordingly."

How many years will Tiburon pee on us and tell us it's raining? Right here, in candy-sweet phrasing, they're saying "we'll throw some quick code at a bug, bypass all the QA processes, force you to download and install our "tuner", and then let you test it for us. Hopefully it won't melt your console down, but if it does just remember that we're not liable!! BTW: Thanks ever so much for that $60 you paid for the privilege of being our beta test dummy!"

I have never heard such a blatant statement from a developer about how they were going to screw the consumer. All that 'time-consuming' approval process exists to try and ensure that the "fix" doesn't actually break the game - and it fails an abysmally large percentage of the time! Now Tiburon wants to bypass that even that flawed attempt at quality control and make you believe that they're doing you a favor.

I guess for 13 we'll get the chance to pay them for the privilege of cleaning their offices, too.....

But, I must admit, I'm sooo very glad that they decided to justify my $60 by adding surprise onside kicks - such a critical element of the game! - instead of fixing the physics, the franchise mode, correct penalty enforcement, custom playbooks......

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.