Home
Top Spin 4 News Post

Check out the latest Top Spin 4 Developer Diary, as the Gameplay Designer, Rémi Ercolani, goes over play styles.

Quote:
"I’m Rémi Ercolani, Gameplay Designer on Top Spin 4. During the development process, I was in charge of designing and tuning the gameplay. From the player behaviors, shot types and overall balancing, it was my job to impact how the game was actually played. As a huge tennis fan and player myself, it was really something I enjoyed. Today I’m going to explain how each gamer can experience Top Spin 4 differently based upon individual gameplay habits, specifically your play style.

When I say play style, I’m referring here to how you play the game of tennis and what strategy you choose in order to win a match: the shots you select, where you position yourself on the court, how you react to your opponent’s shots, etc. In Top Spin 4, we really wanted to give everyone the chance to truly craft their own unique playing style. So whether you prefer to attack from the baseline, play a more subtle/tactical game, or move to the net and volley, you can find success playing Top Spin 4 your way.

The team started with the feedback we received from fans of Top Spin 3. One common theme the team heard was that the game was too skewed towards power players who were too difficult to challenge no matter how well you played the game strategically. So we set out to improve on this aspect and provide a true variety of playing styles with Top Spin 4."

Game: Top Spin 4Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 8 - View All
Top Spin 4 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Ermolli @ 02/10/11 01:39 PM
Great developer Diary. Looks great.

# 2 at23steelers @ 02/10/11 05:22 PM
Best diary yet!! This game sounds outstanding!

What would you call Nadal's style? I was thinking a more aggressive defensive baseliner. His mentality is to wear out his opponents as opposed to ending points fast (other two styles). IMO, his game is closest to Andy Murray's except is usually more aggressive. I think that would be the style most interesting to me, and probably closest to what I play in real life: defensive baseliner but attack when the opportunity arises.

# 3 econoodle @ 02/10/11 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Best diary yet!! This game sounds outstanding!

What would you call Nadal's style? I was thinking a more aggressive defensive baseliner. His mentality is to wear out his opponents as opposed to ending points fast (other two styles). IMO, his game is closest to Andy Murray's except is usually more aggressive. I think that would be the style most interesting to me, and probably closest to what I play in real life: defensive baseliner but attack when the opportunity arises.
good job Steelers, thats exactly what i'd call him, and its the style I will make my created player in the game.
love that style of play.

# 4 at23steelers @ 02/10/11 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
good job Steelers, thats exactly what i'd call him, and its the style I will make my created player in the game.
love that style of play.
Agreed, it's my preferred style of play as well! Probably why Nadal and Murray are my two favorite players. Nadal can return everything, but is also a winners guy with not many unforced errors. No doubt will be fun using him in the game!!

# 5 Zinger @ 02/11/11 12:56 AM
Interesting report and the dev seems to have a good understanding of the game of tennis. Very encouraging.

# 6 tommyjesus @ 02/11/11 04:10 AM
i don't know how much i agree with the ratings, but it seems they are the way they are to make the game more balanced, so i'm ok with it.

sampras' power and forehand seem super underrated though...and his serve was the best ever in the game so that should also be higher...not to mention federer's rather low levels (besides forehand)...but alas, i am excited.

# 7 at23steelers @ 02/11/11 05:36 PM
Nadal is my favorite player, so here's my prediction on his attributes:

FH: 82
BH: 76
SRV: 50
VOL: 55
POW: 74
STA: 88
SPE: 70
REF: 80

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.