Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

IGN has posted an interesting article on how to implement NBA All-Star weekend, into NBA 2K12. More specifically, the dunk contest.

What about you? Have any ideas?

Quote:
"The challenge is finding a way to enable gamers to tap into the creativity seen in the dunk contest. My suggestion: Turn the dunk contest into a strategy game.

Rather than controlling the player during the dunk contest, instead have gamers plan out the dunk in detail. You set where the player starts, how they receive the ball, the path to the basket, whatever combination of dunks to pull off. Add a teammate? Sure. Place them on the court and select how they interact (there really are only a few ways they can be involved, right?). Provide a large selection of props – let the fans tell 2K in advance what they want in the game – and give them the ability to place and use them as needed. You are the choreographer.

Every dunker has a rating and every dunk design has a difficulty level, which increases as you add in more complexity to the slam. As the difficulty rating rises towards equaling the dunker's rating, the chances for success diminish. The safer the dunk, the more likely the execution will be perfect. But safe doesn't win dunk contests. Can you find the balance between the right level of difficulty and your dunker's prowess?"

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 stlducks @ 02/20/11 03:49 PM
I think it is a good idea. I haven't played the dunk challenge since 09 or somewhere around there bc I could never ge the gather timed right

# 2 Clarke_311 @ 02/20/11 04:45 PM
Give this man a job 2K! I love this idea.

# 3 gbombbay @ 02/20/11 05:41 PM
noooooooooo. Dumb idea. This is a perfect example of people with their knee jerk reactions, after seeing something. Just stop, focus on the game like you been doing. My player mode still needs work, 5 on 5 can still get better. Graphics can even get better. Because im sorry MLB The Show sets the standards as far as sports games go right now, and its not even close. and im not even a baseball fan like that. So thats saying something. How often are/would you play a dunk contest any way. You should use your resources on what you will be playing and seeing the most.

# 4 TreyIM2 @ 02/20/11 05:53 PM
Live 05 (I didn't get 06...or did I? Ha, I don't rememba) had it RIGHT!! I DO like the idea here, as well. If the two can be combined, whoa!

# 5 CX1329 @ 02/20/11 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbombbay
noooooooooo. Dumb idea. This is a perfect example of people with their knee jerk reactions, after seeing something. Just stop, focus on the game like you been doing. My player mode still needs work, 5 on 5 can still get better. Graphics can even get better. Because im sorry MLB The Show sets the standards as far as sports games go right now, and its not even close. and im not even a baseball fan like that. So thats saying something. How often are/would you play a dunk contest any way. You should use your resources on what you will be playing and seeing the most.

PLEASE DON'T ADD MORE FEATURES I'M AVERTED TO FEATURES.

Considering how much of a jump 2K11 was compared to 2K10, they can add PLENTY of new things each year and still improve the game in every regard. So it's only fair that people expect 2K to keep on innovating, as opposed to stagnating a la Konami and their Pro Evolution Soccer series before this year's edition. Sure, complaining about Kobe's feet being one inch bigger in the game than in real life is too much, but asking for a new feature isn't unreasonable.

# 6 wrestlinggod1 @ 02/20/11 07:30 PM
I would love for this to be implemented. If I come up with a dunk in my mind that looks spectacular, I shouldn't get penalized for not being able to quickly twist around an analog stick.

# 7 MagicSuns @ 02/20/11 07:49 PM
Adding the challenges to the All-Star Weekend during Association Mode would be cool. Maybe if your guy gets selected for the 3 point shootout and you win it, he gets a boost in his 3 point rating? Similar for the other challenges. Is it really that different then the development challenges?

# 8 neptuneniq @ 02/20/11 08:11 PM
2k's dunk mechanis are way better than live 05

in live u pulled off the moves in slow motion....wack

# 9 BlackRome @ 02/20/11 08:33 PM
How about we let them release a game that actually works. Starting with speeding up the slow mo animations before they release another **** bug filled game for 60 dollars.

# 10 BlackRome @ 02/20/11 08:34 PM
You guys are Censoring the word E P I C. That's what I typed. another E P I C bug filled game for 60 dollars.

# 11 DaReapa @ 02/20/11 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbombbay
Spot on. You're absolutely correct. Despite the many accolades 2K11 recieved (which I'm still baffled about), the game is FAR from polished, and is in need of an overhaul of the controls and animation engine before the addition of gimmick features. Things like controls and online stability need far more attention.

And just as you've stated, The Show IMO has raised the bar for sports videogames. And I'm not even a fan of baseball.

# 12 Canes305 @ 02/20/11 09:30 PM
Authentic arena announcers

# 13 statum71 @ 02/20/11 09:37 PM
Well put.

I thought it was only me......as much as I love dunk contests I never play it in NBA 2K. Because that release timing is so dumb and frustrating I can't even appreciate the dunks the atletic players "could" do.

I think we should at least have another control option.

# 14 ravensheat @ 02/20/11 10:53 PM
Whats next? Sims 2K12?

# 15 dannyr326 @ 02/20/11 11:45 PM
I used to play NBA Live 07 and I remember they had All Star Weekend mode in the game (skills challenge, dunk contest, all star game etc.). 2K should either include that into the game, or expand their blacktop mode like in the old days where you could choose multiple street locations (Rucker Park, Fonda Rec. center, etc.

Does anybody remember that from like NBA 2k3?

# 16 TUSS11 @ 02/21/11 12:07 AM
What a waste of time and resources that would be. They need to focus on gameplay.

# 17 hatersgonnahate @ 02/21/11 12:12 AM
Maybe instead of messing around with powder puff, ea sports like "features", 2k should perfect their product, make my player playable for once and fix those pathetic servers. I want sim, not arcade.

# 18 youvalss @ 02/21/11 12:15 AM
I really don't care for dunk contests and Allstar stuff, but I guess it's important to many people. The only time I even consider playing an Allstar game is during the Allstar weekend (and even that rarely happens). Most of the time it doesn't mean anything to me.

However, I think that if 2K does add Allstar stuff, it would be nice if it was locked until the actual date of the Allstar weekend. Then, on the Friday of the Allstar weekend, the mode becomes available. Just something to wait for, rather than playing it 3 weeks before the season even starts...

# 19 ocat @ 02/21/11 12:47 AM
Why am I not suprised to see a crap article like this coming from IGN "Idiots Gaming Network"

# 20 Darkimpact17 @ 02/21/11 01:37 AM
Sounds like a fun idea, definitely a different way to look at it.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.