Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

IGN has posted an interesting article on how to implement NBA All-Star weekend, into NBA 2K12. More specifically, the dunk contest.

What about you? Have any ideas?

Quote:
"The challenge is finding a way to enable gamers to tap into the creativity seen in the dunk contest. My suggestion: Turn the dunk contest into a strategy game.

Rather than controlling the player during the dunk contest, instead have gamers plan out the dunk in detail. You set where the player starts, how they receive the ball, the path to the basket, whatever combination of dunks to pull off. Add a teammate? Sure. Place them on the court and select how they interact (there really are only a few ways they can be involved, right?). Provide a large selection of props – let the fans tell 2K in advance what they want in the game – and give them the ability to place and use them as needed. You are the choreographer.

Every dunker has a rating and every dunk design has a difficulty level, which increases as you add in more complexity to the slam. As the difficulty rating rises towards equaling the dunker's rating, the chances for success diminish. The safer the dunk, the more likely the execution will be perfect. But safe doesn't win dunk contests. Can you find the balance between the right level of difficulty and your dunker's prowess?"

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 44drob @ 03/29/11 07:08 PM
? what was the point of making the dunk contest they have now ?

# 42 VDusen04 @ 03/30/11 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44drob
? what was the point of making the dunk contest they have now ?
Great question. I kind of assumed it was a space-saving maneuver while still technically retaining the dunk contest feature.

# 43 DirtyNeedles @ 03/30/11 09:54 PM
Honestly, Dunk contest is a waste of time/game space. I even rather would have ALL SHOE COMPANIES with all styles/colorways represented in the game and no more of that generic shoe stuff!

# 44 Arthur_0909 @ 08/07/11 02:39 AM
They should change the commentary team to Jef Van Gundy, Mike Breen, And Marc Jackson. They should take out the black top mode and put the All Star weekend, like All Star friday will be like the celebrity game and the rookie ve sophmores game, the All Star Saturday will be the TheShooting Stars, The Skills Challenge, The Three Point Contest, and The Dunk Contest.

# 45 Arthur_0909 @ 08/07/11 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur_0909
They should change the commentary team to Jef Van Gundy, Mike Breen, And Marc Jackson. They should take out the black top mode and put the All Star weekend, like All Star friday will be like the celebrity game and the rookie ve sophmores game, the All Star Saturday will be the TheShooting Stars, The Skills Challenge, The Three Point Contest, and The Dunk Contest.
Oh and one more thing instead of being it in the blacktops it should be in the Arena. Like how it is in real life

# 46 SouthBeach @ 08/07/11 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur_0909
Well, to my knowledge, JVG, Marc Jackson (not sure what they're gonna do bout him), and Mike Breen are all under contract to EA for the next installment of their basketball game Elite '13 or Live '13, whichever name they go with.

Steve Kerr and Kevin Harlan should be just fine for 2K12. We'll get a real TNT feel for the game.

# 47 BleedBlueAndRed @ 08/07/11 05:35 AM
the celebrity game is very possible as well because they have legends in the game as well as celebrities from blacktop mode. shooting stars is also possible if they figure out what to do about WNBA (that'd be a little much to add, would probably need their own game and then you can import em over or some ****, for now... ignore shooting stars mode lol)

# 48 kolanji @ 08/08/11 11:02 AM
question? is it not true to say that EA sports have the rights to allstar weekend?and the reason y 2k has to do a blacktop version.....
nevertheless the dunk contest 3 input actions as it is, is just fine..the level of the focus as the dunks get harder makes the risk and reward system balance.and the matter of hitting timing right on the final input to actually dunk the ball feels very real as to human input determines make or miss and the difficulty of the dunk determine time window to make the dunk.....only thing they need to add in my opinion is the atmosphere I.E add a lively audience to cheer and makes noise on big dunks or fail dunks....very good place to implicated the soundtrack(only menu seems to get the most love when it comes to default soundtrack)

# 49 VDusen04 @ 08/08/11 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanji
question? is it not true to say that EA sports have the rights to allstar weekend?and the reason y 2k has to do a blacktop version.....
nevertheless the dunk contest 3 input actions as it is, is just fine..the level of the focus as the dunks get harder makes the risk and reward system balance.and the matter of hitting timing right on the final input to actually dunk the ball feels very real as to human input determines make or miss and the difficulty of the dunk determine time window to make the dunk.....only thing they need to add in my opinion is the atmosphere I.E add a lively audience to cheer and makes noise on big dunks or fail dunks....very good place to implicated the soundtrack(only menu seems to get the most love when it comes to default soundtrack)
This has been up for debate at one time or another, but I've never been able to see how EA could own a weekend. For starters, 2K has an All-Star game, just like EA does. . .which is a part of All-Star Weekend. But assuming the owning of rights is only in reference to All-Star Saturday and All-Star Friday, I'm still not convinced that's possible. It'd seem EA might have to own the rights to the sponsors of each competition but as we know, it's 2K that's had the Sprite affiliation through the years (The Sprite Slam Dunk Competition).

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just curious how such rights would work. 2K would still be allowed to have a "Sprite Slam Dunk Competition" with the same competitors, and with judges, and scores and whatnot, only it'd have to be held outside? It just feels funny. If the Weekend rights could be had, wouldn't the NBA Finals be next for exclusivity?

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.