Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The first extended look at MLB 2K11 gameplay footage pitting the Philadelphia Phillies at the Colorado Rockies in the top of the 8th inning.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SPTO @ 02/22/11 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk

Also, the pitching changes seemed kind of odd and unnatural too. It would show a shot of Jose Contreras and put up a graphic for Ryan Madsen and they'd just start talking about Madsen, without any graphic of him 'entering' the game or any mention of a pitching change. Maybe it was just me, I found those parts especially awkward.
Actually I believe they did show the Madsen "coming into the game" cutscene or at the very least the JC Romero one. So it's there, the person playing may have cut it out.

I thought they said there'd be no "tells" on HRs and immediately in the first video you can definitely tell that was a Grand Slam homer.

I did like the atmosphere and the commentary is definitely beefed up.

Overall this game is looking pretty damn good.

# 22 sroz39 @ 02/22/11 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Actually I believe they did show the Madsen "coming into the game" cutscene or at the very least the JC Romero one. So it's there, the person playing may have cut it out.

I thought they said there'd be no "tells" on HRs and immediately in the first video you can definitely tell that was a Grand Slam homer.

I did like the atmosphere and the commentary is definitely beefed up.

Overall this game is looking pretty damn good.
They said the no-doubters would still have "tells", it was the ones that only go a row or two in that it would stay with the regular camera.

# 23 SPTO @ 02/22/11 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
They said the no-doubters would still have "tells", it was the ones that only go a row or two in that it would stay with the regular camera.
Oh thanks, I thought they meant no tells at all.

# 24 NumberOneRB @ 02/22/11 02:17 PM
Hate to say it, but if someone told me that was a video of 2K10 I wouldn't even argue. I didn't really notice any of the improvements I kept reading about. The swing animations still seem stiff and jerky, the real-time presentation is still awkward, and where are the "4,000 new animations" I read about? The developers said they re-did all the swing animations, but I saw no such instances in that video. I'm gonna have to see some more footage to really get a full idea of all the gameplay improvements.

# 25 Picci @ 02/22/11 02:18 PM
I'm not sure what to think......Would have liked to see more as others mentioned the "new fielding". One thing mentioned in the "What We Know Thread" was there was suppose to be rally towels for playoff games......Didn't see any of it?????

Someone tell Ron from 2K to show us the top of the 9th!

# 26 NINJAK2 @ 02/22/11 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I'm pretty impressed with the crowds reaction. You really get a home field advantage feeling. There's a big presentation sense going on with the commentators talking and the crowd going nuts.
I was impressed with the crowds as well. Like that they are interactive as one of the fans actually caught the HR ball and held it up afterwards. Very impressed with the game graphically compared to 2k10.

# 27 jorge380 @ 02/22/11 02:29 PM
Game looking good,but come on with Manuel face.Thats straight scary.

# 28 JBH3 @ 02/22/11 02:41 PM
So there was a human controlling the Phillies?

Please tell me yes...

Because why do you leave Contreras in to face lefthanded hitter Ian Stewart w/ runners on?

Gotta play the matchups, and going w/ Romero or another lefty would've been the way to go in that situation.

Esp when you see that Stewart has an 81 pwr against righties.

# 29 SPTO @ 02/22/11 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
So there was a human controlling the Phillies?
It looked to me like human (Rockies) vs computer (Phillies)

# 30 nemesis04 @ 02/22/11 02:49 PM
From what we have read so far to what I just saw I was expecting more to be honest. Its decent but not what I expected.

# 31 JBH3 @ 02/22/11 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
It looked to me like human (Rockies) vs computer (Phillies)
Well then where is the better management they've spoke of?

Don't see it if Jose Contreras isn't getting yanked, and CPU Charlie Manuel isn't playing matchups in the 8th inning of tied 1 out ball game. Ugh.

# 32 realsim @ 02/22/11 02:53 PM
I didn't like the HR "tell" because the gameplay went into slo-mo and the batter showed no reaction as the ball leaving the bat that it was a HR, he just ran out the batter's box as if he was going for extra bases.

# 33 elfdutch @ 02/22/11 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
I think presentation elements are lacking though... It's just kind of awkwardly focusing on players when big moments happen that should be getting big reactions from the teams/players (like the grandslam).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOneRB
Hate to say it, but if someone told me that was a video of 2K10 I wouldn't even argue. I didn't really notice any of the improvements I kept reading about. The swing animations still seem stiff and jerky, the real-time presentation is still awkward, and where are the "4,000 new animations" I read about? The developers said they re-did all the swing animations, but I saw no such instances in that video. I'm gonna have to see some more footage to really get a full idea of all the gameplay improvements.
Fully agree with these comments. I like mlb2k10 and am still playing it, but some things in the presentations are really wrong (other things too, but i'm focussing on presentation right now).
I'm seeing the same wrong things again in this video.
As said above where are the homerun celebrations....Its postseason and you hit a grand slam in the 8th inning of a tied game!! Come on, where are the runner awaiting the batter to celebrate.
Crowd noise is improved, but the reactions with that grand slam are very underwhelming.
The game still has the jerkiness. I mean, catch the ball, stand still for a sec, and then go into the next animation.
I really hope this year after an out the infielders throw the ball around instead of returning it to the pitcher immediately.

And then there's the replays. My god do they suck or what?
Again i'm seeing replays of an rbi, with the only focus on the runner scoring? Why not a beautifull reply of the pitcher delivering, and the batter swinging, with the cam set somewhere behind the batter?
Anything is better than this. Then there's some replays that start when the play is already halfway.
Outfielders are still making the same hop when fielding / throwing the ball.
I noticed a runner going very fast to 1st base, just as if the game had to compensate for something.

All in all very disappointing. As said i like 2k10 but they could have done a lot with this presentation wise. Sofar i'm not seeing it.

# 34 ckarlic @ 02/22/11 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
From what we have read so far to what I just saw I was expecting more to be honest. Its decent but not what I expected.
Kind of felt the same way. Game looks great but not what I expected from reading all the previews.

# 35 econoodle @ 02/22/11 03:02 PM
The new variable strike zone really showed itself off during that 2-2 pitch to Fowler.
Nice.
Very Nice.

# 36 Flaxseed Oil @ 02/22/11 03:06 PM
I still see a lot of cardboard fans, but overall the game looks great. I LOVE the new hitting camera!

# 37 slickkill77 @ 02/22/11 03:08 PM
The commentary was awesome. Other than that.....eeks. The player models and the graphics overall are xbox quality

# 38 anchorsteamer @ 02/22/11 03:13 PM
Comparing this to the new gameplay video for The Show, the 2K commentary is so much more fluid. Some of the little touches are missing, though. How about the rally rags? That seemed like a no doubt about it homerun, but the pitcher still ran to cover third.

And yes...Manuel is frightening...

# 39 tinpanalley @ 02/22/11 03:18 PM
I love this face after the grand slam...

# 40 statum71 @ 02/22/11 03:23 PM
2K is the absolute best at presentation.

The commentary, the sounds, and the overlays are just tremendous. Comes across very much like television. Nice going. Game is looking good.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.