Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

In a recent MLB 2K11 developer blog, Sean Bailey, a designer working on the game, mentioned that the "'Pitcher Control' slider is one of several new difficulty sliders that we added to the game this year." Well, even more of these "new" sliders were revealed today in a new MLB 2K11 developer blog.

Jonathan Rivera, another designer working on MLB 2K11, detailed the new fielding sliders that will be in the game this year. Explanations for those fielding sliders are as follows:

Quote:
Throw Accuracy – Modifies the difficulty of the throw meter when fielding.

Gather error frequency – Increases the slider to see more gather errors and decrease to see less gather errors.

Throwing error frequency – Modifies the frequency of throwing errors by the CPU or when putting the meter into the red.

Outfield & Infield Throw Speed modifier – Tunes the throw speed of the outfielders and infielders separately.

Outfield & Infield Run Speed modifier – Adjusts the running speed of the outfielders and infielders separately.

Baserunner speed – Tunes the running speed of the baserunners.

Catcher Arm Strength and Accuracy – Tunes how hard and accurate the catchers will throw on steal attempts.

While at a preview event, I found out the last of the new gameplay sliders that will be in MLB 2K11. These sliders include Batter's Eye Frequency and Pitcher Composure Influence -- this one was actually revealed in the screenshot above, but I got an explanation for the slider today. The Batter's Eye Frequency slider will tweak how often you can see the location and type of pitch being thrown, and it will obviously highlight the "eye" rating for each player. The Pitcher Composure slider will increase or decrease how quickly a pitcher can get rattled, and it obviously hones in on the player's composure rating.

In short, here is the entire list of new sliders:
  • Batter's Eye Frequency
  • Pitcher Control
  • Pitcher Composure Influence
  • Gather Error Frequency
  • Throw Error Frequency
  • Throw Speed (Separated for IF and OF)
  • Run Speed (Separated for IF and OF)
  • Catcher Arm Strength
  • Catcher Arm Accuracy
  • Baserunner Speed

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/25/11 11:04 AM
Chase when can we expect that infamous preview?

# 22 rudyjuly2 @ 02/25/11 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
Glad to see a Baserunner Slider. Without it Stolen bases are either inevitable or impossible depending on the runner. More sliders usually means more working finding the right balance but when you do the game is so much more satisfying.
I must be the worst base stealer on the planet. This makes me happy although I'm a believer in Earl Weaver baseball. Get on base and hit the 3 run HR.

# 23 jeffy777 @ 02/25/11 01:35 PM
I'm really glad to see separate sliders for both outfielder and infielder throwing strength.

And I'm glad there is no foul ball slider. Fouls should be determined by the pitch location, swing timing, etc......they shouldn't be random like they were in older games. I thought there were a good amount of fouls in 2K10 (and they weren't random), but it's good to hear Chase say that he saw even more.

# 24 bonannogiovanni @ 02/25/11 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
If it wasn't there last year, it's not there this year. I did have more foul balls in four innings of one game then I usually got in entire games last year (assuming you weren't flicking the stick to the right or left for the defensive swing).
Good to hear, I dont plan to use defensive swing, ever.

# 25 strawberryshortcake @ 02/26/11 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
I agree on the batters eye. Some think it's kind of unrealistic but my thinking is just the opposite. It's just so difficult in these games to tell what kind of pitch is coming and whether it's a breaking ball or whatever. In real life MLB hitters generally have some idea esp. the good ones, as long as it's not overdone and a slider will help greatly with that.
It's actually much more than that. Those who do not understand the concept of batter's eye will call it unrealistic. The concept behind it was implemented to simulate nine (9) individual hitters. It actually adds a realistic element to the game. Aside from in game hitter's rating, it absolutely adds another level of strategic realism. Batter's Eye is a great feature.

Batter's eye attempts to put the gamer in the shoes of nine different hitters at the plate. Minus batter's eye, the gamer practically reads the pitch the same exact way whether the virtual Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, Albert Pujols, any average to below major league hitter, or an American or National League pitcher is hitting at the plate.

Aside from in game hitter's ratings, batter's eye absolutely adds another level of strategic realism.

The gamer has only one set of eyes. The gamer does not have nine set of eyes. Alex Rodriguez would have a better batter's eye than any National League Pitcher batting at the plate. Therefore, when Alex Rodriguez is at the plate, the gamer SHOULD have a unique batter's eye advantage. This makes the game realistic. Batter's eye gives individuality to all nine (9) virtual batter's at the plate. If one understands the concept of batter's eye, one would embrace it as a simulation element.

# 26 Fiddy @ 02/26/11 08:18 AM
what is the batters eye slider? what does it do?

sorry, been away from this game for a few years..

# 27 SPTO @ 02/26/11 04:56 PM
I'm sometimes foggy on things so I ask...What does gather error frequency mean?

Otherwise this sounds really good. I'm hoping the game will be very playable out of the box with only minor slider adjustments.

# 28 bcruise @ 02/26/11 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I'm sometimes foggy on things so I ask...What does gather error frequency mean?

Otherwise this sounds really good. I'm hoping the game will be very playable out of the box with only minor slider adjustments.
Gather means the time between when the fielder fields the ball to the time he throws it. It will probably affect bobbles, more or less..

# 29 SPTO @ 02/26/11 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Gather means the time between when the fielder fields the ball to the time he throws it. It will probably affect bobbles, more or less..
Oh ok so like the trailer from a week or so ago.

Thanks

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.