Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

The MLB 2K11 demo is available now. Add it to your download queue right here.

Please play a few games and post your impressions here.

*UPDATE: PS3 demo is available now.

Quote:
"Begin your quest for perfection on the baseball diamond with the Major League Baseball 2K11 demo, available now for download. Play a three inning game with the San Francisco Giants and Texas Rangers at AT&T Park and get an early taste of 2K11’s Revamped Fielding System and improved Total Control Pitching & Hitting. Perfect YOUR game with Major League Baseball 2K11, in stores March 8!"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 statnut @ 03/01/11 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci
Sounds good all. Glad to hear that much of the gameplay seems sound. Only concern I have is I'm not hearing anything on users walking the CPU batters. Has anyone been able to walk the CPU?

Thanks
I walked two with Derek Holland earlier.

# 142 ChaseB @ 03/01/11 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Yep. I walked 2 guys with Brandon Webb (I'd be shocked if he was ready to go by Opening Day) and walked 1 batter with Matt Cain in my 3 games I've played so far.
I was all over the place with Sanchez, probably because two of his pitching motions are relatively challenging, and his control is not great so even hard to paint with fastball.

# 143 RedLine @ 03/01/11 02:50 PM
I was able to play about 4 games of the demo, and overall I like the demo and could see that this will be an improved game over 2K10, which I enjoyed. The game play was smoother and I could see there were more animations in all aspects of game play. This again looks like it will be a fun game to play, and with the MLB Today enhancements like dynamic player ratings and the improvements to My Player this will be a day one
pickup for me. Really looking forward to playing the retail game next week!

Detailed impressions and observations:

* It looks like a slight upgrade to me graphically, with improved uniforms and the player models look better too. I think the lighting is better which makes the overall game look more appealing.

* I experienced the slight frame rate hit that others have seen on a few occasions including after power swinging and hitting a deep fly ball and home run. Expecting this to be fixed in retail game.

* Like the subtle pitching improvements to accuracy and strike calling. Had to throw more pitches when nibbling the corners.

* Like the new camera after hitting the ball a lot. However, when bunting I could not really see where I bunted the ball because the camera was low and behind the catcher.

* Like the new throwing meter (kind of like 2K8) and how the throw zones dynamically changes based on player ratings, and how you are throwing the ball (i.e. off balance).

* I don't know if the right stick directional position (pointed to 1B, 2b, etc) influences the accuracy of the throw like 2K8 did though, which I liked a lot. It appears that throw accuracy is only tied to Red/Green/lt. Green zones on the throw meter. BTW, you can also use the controller face buttons to throw to bases so it makes sense there is no directional aspect to the throw meter.

* I did not see an error but I saw a few bobbles in the infield and then had the throw pull the 1B off the bag to catch an offline throw.

* I like the new fielding circles for fly balls, really makes you notice the different fielding ratings for the players.

* Noticed that the players on defensive for the most part know the state of the game, how many outs there are etc. They throw the ball more casually back to the infield when appropriate.

* Hitting is improved and I saw many new hits types that I did not see in 2K10: popup behind home plate fielded by the catcher, choppers in the infield, more infield flies.

* Liked the new defensive adjustment popup windows to confirm your changes and tell you how the AI is playing the batter.

* Liked the little window that pops up for player substitutions and shows who's out and who's in.

* Disappointed that the homerun celebrations were not improved. Maybe just because it's the demo but when I hit a homerun I did not see the 3rd base coach low five the runner or have the next batter on deck congratulate the hitter. Seems like the same home run trot from 2K10.

* Really like that they removed blue flash from game between pitches and batters. There's now a more subtle gold/yellow flash around the strike zone but it's not an issue.

* The Real Time Presentation aspect of the game is improved from 2K10, with the little cut scenes of pitcher emotion, etc. However, There seems to be too many instances where the pitcher is just shown standing there chewing gum or staring straight ahead.

Overall more to like than not so 2K11 is looking good to me!

# 144 tvman @ 03/01/11 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I was all over the place with Sanchez, probably because two of his pitching motions are relatively challenging, and his control is not great so even hard to paint with fastball.
Any idea what level you might have been playing on, were sliders adjusted?

# 145 swaldo @ 03/01/11 02:55 PM
I took a look at the possible "aggressive CPU batters" issue and put myself in a several 3-0 counts. This (along with all the annoying flashing lights) could be a game killer for me so I wanted to take a close look. Here are the results from one game...

CPU ON 3-0 COUNTS:

Swung: 3 times (all 3 were strikes)
Took: 7 times (4 were balls, 3 were strikes)

Basically if you're around the edge or corner the CPU might take even if it's a strike.

CPU ON 3-1 COUNTS:

Swung: 4 times (all 4 were strikes)
Took: 1 time (strike)

Doesn't look too bad, but here is what I have a problem with...
  • Leadoff hitters swinging on 3-0 counts (happened at least twice.)
  • At least four times the CPU swung at balls outside the zone on 1-0 or 2-0 counts. If 90% of what I'm throwing is balls why so aggressive? Where's the AI?
  • Only once did the CPU appear to take a pitch rather than read & react. On a 3-1 pitch I threw a meatball right down the middle and it watched it.
Here is the biggest problem: One of the balls was thrown purposely way high & outside and was hit to the opposite field for a HR. Whoa, wut? The only probelm is there's no replay to look at - and the pitchers composure was shot by then. However, it looked in real time like it was way high & outside the zone and if I saw it correctly the batter went into a "reach" animation. In any case it didn't look realistic at all.

# 146 swaldo @ 03/01/11 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmke
Your sample pool is way way way way oh yeah and way to small.
I dunno, if I was a MLB manager and watched my leadoff hitter pop-up on a 3-0 count I'd only need one sample

But in general I guess the jury is still out - I'm just noting what I saw.

# 147 tvman @ 03/01/11 03:15 PM
It's likely hard to do any sort of AI testing until we have the retail version of the game.

I do like some things to be weird and wonderful as there are a lot of strange happenings in baseball, don't like a game that is totally "by the book".

# 148 Trevytrev11 @ 03/01/11 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmke
Your sample pool is way way way way oh yeah and way to small.
It is, but the logic has been faulty forever, so even though it's not 50 or 100 batters, etc. it still shows, even in such a small sample size, that it doesn't look to be right. I'd put my money on the fact that if he did the same thing 100 times, the results would be close to what he just experienced.

As far as all of the logic in every other facet of the game, some very basic logic could be input to make the results of this seem very realistic. We could probably come up with 5 quick rules that, if put into the logic of the game, could fix the issue for 95+% of the situations. (I would guess that Juan Pierre has swung at less than two 3-0 pitches in his MLB career)

# 149 tvman @ 03/01/11 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaldo
I dunno, if I was a MLB manager and watched my leadoff hitter pop-up on a 3-0 count I'd only need one sample

But in general I guess the jury is still out - I'm just noting what I saw.

Might be time for your leadoff hitter to be ridin' the pine for a while after that incident. By the way was it Torres?

# 150 BearClaw @ 03/01/11 03:24 PM
So far I'm fairly pleased. Hitting and pitching are still solid. I noticed the framerate issue seems to only be when a ball is popped straight up and out of the field of view of the camera but I'm assuming that will get fixed. Also, I'm really getting tired of a player's body not facing the direction they are throwing. For instance at an Andres Torres will field a ground ball with his head and body facing first and will throw the ball to second while his head and body are pointed still towards first.

edit: Just saw that baserunners still move in slow motion during a pickoff.

# 151 DrPhibes @ 03/01/11 03:31 PM
Outside of the previously mentioned choppiness, the demo feels marvelous. Love the new batting camera and love that there is now some suspense when hitting. At times you think the ball is gone, but it's just a warning track shot. Others you just know by the sound of the bat, the batter's animation after he hits it, or the outfielders animation (hit a monster HR with Cruz and Burrell was just standing still, but you can see his head following the ball over his head and way way back into the seats).

Not sure if it has been mentioned/addressed within the confines 19 page, but the only thing that sucked was not having the option to check swing/get warm up swing in before the pitch. I'm sure it's just a demo thing because afterall this IS just the demo, but w/e. Also hope that in the full game pitchers will be ejected for hitting too many batters (no big deal)

Now if only it has the Rockies black vest alternate jersey then I will def go pick it up

# 152 School Yard Pro @ 03/01/11 03:37 PM
Pros-
camera angle when the ball is put in play
pitching control feedback
hitting seems easier
field and throwing errors

Cons-
no commentary
no slider options
only 3 innings
no subs
frame rate issues
crowd looks terrible
animation was off. (had the 3rd base coach call for a slide into 3rd after I had already throw the runner out and he was on his way to the bench)
and...
I hit a grand slam with Tommy Hunter...seriously

Releasing a demo of this quality is unacceptable. Graphically speaking I expected better from 2k11.. especially on the heals of such a successful NBA 2k11 release. This demo still doesn't look as good as MLB the show 09. We deserve a better looking baseball game on Xbox

That being said.. I'll still purchase it so I can have my baseball fix

# 153 p00p1 @ 03/01/11 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Not too happy with Sanchez, he should have a split change not a circle change. And they got rid of his slider?

# 154 HHHBigFan @ 03/01/11 03:49 PM
Idk...seems a lot like last years.

# 155 Spongedaddy @ 03/01/11 03:59 PM
I went to Gamestop and pre-paid for my copy. The demo sold me so I guess it did its job.

# 156 swaldo @ 03/01/11 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
Might be time for your leadoff hitter to be ridin' the pine for a while after that incident. By the way was it Torres?
I was switching & pitching with both teams - it was Andrus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
Am I the only one that finds it humorous that a guy complaining about unnecessary flashy stuff uses those flashy and unnecessary emoticons? I can tell you that I find those emoticons 100x more annoying than anything in the demo.
If 2K is going to to subject me with yellow flashes, then they can get some yellow man.

# 157 TeixeiraFanatic @ 03/01/11 04:15 PM
I just found a big bug. I haven't looked through the entire thread so someone might have already said it.

Anyway. First inning as the Rangers. They get two quick outs. Hamilton hits a homerun over the right field wall then Cruz follows that with a triple. Adrian Beltre up. He hits one deep into centerfield. I see the fans 6 rows back stand up. Andres Torres goes through the wall and catches it but it counts as a homerun and an out. So I'm up 3-0 going into the bottom of the first having only got out twice.

# 158 jeffy777 @ 03/01/11 04:18 PM
Anyone who thinks the pitching is still to accurate, try pitching with Barry Zito...wow....I'm all over the place with him and did walk one guy so far.

I also thought it was nice how it told me that Torrealba is a bad matchup vs. Zito, so that was a confidence booster

# 159 jeffy777 @ 03/01/11 04:27 PM
I just noticed you can turn switch to Classic controls for hitting and pitching (buttons) if you go to the Controller Setup in the menu (pause, then flick the right stick to bring it up).

# 160 tinpanalley @ 03/01/11 04:27 PM
Two questions (one that may speak to goh's question)
- Are there simply limited replays on HRs in this release? I hit one that clearly went into the bay and was expecting a replay to say how it looked landing in the water and got nothing.
- Anyone else feeling like the ball lands like a bocce ball on a sheet of leather? I get maybe one bounce and then a straight roll no matter what.

Regardless, I am constantly in amazement as I play this demo over and over. Everything I've ever said I wished would be in this game is in this demo. I keep asking, what am I missing, there's gotta be something wrong?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.