Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Over the next 5 weeks, EA Sports will show 25 new plays that you will find in NCAA Football 12.

New offensive plays will be shown every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, while a new defensive play every Tuesday and Thursday. Each new play will be accompanied by a screen of the play art and a brief description of why the play has been added to NCAA Football 12.

Play #5 features the Weak I Normal Y Over Fly Sweep.

Quote:
"Weak I Normal Y Over Fly Sweep – Oregon State’s Weak I Normal Fly Sweep has the TE aligned on the line of scrimmage to the split end side of the formation. This creates an unbalanced set to the left with extra blockers for the fly sweep. "

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jeremym480 @ 03/18/11 10:39 AM
This play looks nice. Hopefully, there are other options from this formation. I'm sure there will be though, right?

# 2 fistofrage @ 03/18/11 11:23 AM
I'm all for new plays, but EA needs to concentrate on getting the AI dual threat QBs to be dual threat QB's. They should make sure read option and other QB running plays are viable options and work for the AI before they add anything new to the game.

# 3 TheShizNo1 @ 03/18/11 11:37 AM
This play looks like it has fail all over it. I can't see that tackle pulling fast enough.

# 4 Gossennator @ 03/18/11 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I'm all for new plays, but EA needs to concentrate on getting the AI dual threat QBs to be dual threat QB's. They should make sure read option and other QB running plays are viable options and work for the AI before they add anything new to the game.
Totally agree with this..QB needs to be more aggressive running the ball.

# 5 4solo @ 03/18/11 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
This play looks like it has fail all over it. I can't see that tackle pulling fast enough.
Actually it's the TE but I agree he will never get there to set a good block.

# 6 geetarguy @ 03/18/11 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Not a tackle. Tight end

# 7 Slaticus @ 03/18/11 12:36 PM
A tight end might make it. I think the user is going to have to force the runner to get more depth in order to make a good cut upfield. When I run the jet sweep (rarely) I run it the same way that I teach Wing T running backs. HASH NUMBERS SIDELINE.

The problem with the pulling tight end is that he may get "picked off", especially if the monster DTs make a return to this years edition.

# 8 BROman @ 03/18/11 01:11 PM
good play, crappy formation, unless he is shifting (need some clarification EA). this should be run out of the slot so that the TE is already playside. the mesh point on a jet sweep happens as soon as the ball is snapped, so the TE will never get there, unless EA has messed the timing up, which knowing them they probly have. one more thing- even with the shift, the playside G or T should be pulling and the TE should be playside and blocking down on the end.

# 9 fistofrage @ 03/18/11 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMagic91
You gotta let the play develop.

You mean like the read option from last year? That play was utterly busted unless you had the sliders arranged so it could work and then every other play in the play book was money.

The AI needs a serious upgrade before it will be able to execute this play.

# 10 Gotmadskillzson @ 03/18/11 01:50 PM
Yeah I can see what MAYBE it is going to happen. The demo going to come out, people going to say oh the offense is too over powered, too easy to score, then they going to come out with a release day patch again making all defensive linemen and linebackers have 4.2 speed busting up plays in the backfield as soon as the ball is hand off again, LIKE THEY DID LAST YEAR.

Hopefully I am wrong and this isn't the case again. New plays are fine and dandy but they don't mean a damn thing if the CPU can't run it correctly.

Last year playing against spread teams were a joke. Playing against any team that ran any kind of jet sweep or reverse was an automatic 6 yard loss.

So I really do hope they got their real assignment AI blocking working correctly this year. Last year their release day patch busted it into thousand pieces. It was so bad that I had to delete all the patches in order to make the game work correctly.

# 11 AuburnAlumni @ 03/18/11 04:56 PM
Nice.

THIS is the kind of stuff that is severely lacking in a lot of playbooks..namely teams like Oregon and Auburn who use so much misdirection and motion in their offense.

Many of Auburn's "bread and butter" plays from the past 2 years are still missing in the game because EA seemed to ditch reverses, end arounds, etc. for the most part.

With Auburn and Oregon getting a lot of "TV Time" this year on their runs to the MNC game, maybe EA got a chance to add a lot of the misdirection and reverse type plays to the game.

# 12 AUsouthpaw2013 @ 03/18/11 05:16 PM
Unless they make it so that defenders are actually fooled by fakes this play has fail written all over it. I honestly can not remember the last time a defender bit on a pump fake, play action, fake reverse or what have you. Defenders always know where the ball is at all times. Please fix this.

# 13 jeremym480 @ 03/18/11 05:57 PM
I can get decent yards on Reverses and Jet Sweeps with my WR in my Miss. St OD

15 carries for 162 yards and 2 TD's. Not to shabby

# 14 Knight9299 @ 03/18/11 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
Actually it's the TE but I agree he will never get there to set a good block.
From the first post:

"Weak I Normal Y Over Fly Sweep – Oregon State’s Weak I Normal Fly Sweep has the TE aligned on the line of scrimmage to the split end side of the formation. This creates an unbalanced set to the left with extra blockers for the fly sweep. "

So unless EA is clueless about a formation they put in the game, then it's a tackle. If the backside tackle can pull and get out in front of a fly sweep, then it's no fly sweep, it's an end around. Which is fine. Oregon state might just call end arounds fly sweeps to sound cutting edge.

# 15 germainoinsano @ 03/18/11 07:27 PM
I wish we could create the plays

# 16 Solidice @ 03/18/11 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymaker52
Won't you have the option of handing it off to the HB instead of the WR?
probably not on the same play. there could be a linked play that hands it off to the HB instead. Ace - Big had a similar play like that in a few playbooks in NCAA 11, Houston and Oklahoma State were 2 that did.

# 17 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 03/18/11 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by germainoinsano
I wish we could create the plays
They did this one year. The problem with creating plays is that it would completly screw with the system because of how inorganic it is. By that I mean that the game cannot adjust, so adding in a new play that the AI is not scripted to understand would be an issue. (Atleast that is my take from playing the game.)

As for this play, I agree it is hopeless unless defenses bite on fakes. Also it would help if I could move a second defender pre snap so I can pick up the extra blocker like I do on any other play.

Another thing that would help is if we could just make every fake style handoff into an option style play. So if I call HB fake endaround, if I see that the defense is heavily lined up on the side my endaround is run to, I can decide to give the handoff. I'm not sure if plays work like this IRL but it seems plausible using the triple option for my reasoning.

# 18 mikehud @ 03/19/11 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight9299
From the first post:

So unless EA is clueless about a formation they put in the game, then it's a tackle. If the backside tackle can pull and get out in front of a fly sweep, then it's no fly sweep, it's an end around. Which is fine. Oregon state might just call end arounds fly sweeps to sound cutting edge.
to me, it looks like whoever described the play did an bass-ackwards job of describing it. from the play art, the tackle could possibly make it over there to lead if, and only if, the play is slower developing with the HB running off tackle before the sweep action. i'm interested in seeing how this thing looks in actual gameplay.

# 19 baufan2005 @ 03/19/11 10:43 AM
I have a feeling that this play will turn out like a lot of the play action plays and sweeps in the games do, the defense shoots straight through the line and hits your ballcarrier too quickly for you to do anything about it.

# 20 SkillzKillz719 @ 03/19/11 04:45 PM
I like the attention to Oregon State lol. Good to see.
Dunno if it'll work, but hey, we can at least wait and see this year. who knows

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.