Home
NASCAR The Game 2011 News Post

I received the game this morning at 9 AM. Please keep in mind, I have only raced 4 times so far and practiced at another.

I am going to answer as many questions as I can that have already been asked, then will keep posting impressions and answer as many questions as I can. I have my PS3 in my office hooked up to the same monitor as my PC, so I have to switch over, so If I don't immediately respond to something, it's because I am on the PS3.

On to the questions, from the other topic.

I wanna know how are the Graphics compared to NASCAR 09? I really can't get a good grasp from the videos. Thanks.

IMO the graphics are a bit better than NASCAR 09. NASCAR 09 was a nice looking game, but I think NTG11 does a better job here. There is a very natural, organic look to it, almost like MLB The Show has. The color palate is there, but it's not too crisp, or overdone.

The car models are nicely executed, and tracks look beautiful.

1. I think we are all wondering about the difficulty of the game and if what we saw in the videos was on some easier level. Is the game more realistic than what the videos may have lead us to believe?

2. Is there a true career mode, or is it just a season, and how does that work?

3. Do you get the sense that you are at 30+ different tracks, or does it feel like most of the tracks run about the same?

1. I set the difficulty for the AI on the highest at Tally, Daytona, and Texas. They were very competitive at Tally and Daytona, and Texas were just better than me....flat out! What I really like so far about the AI, is that they are aggressive, but not cheap. They understand that you are also on the track, and try to be cautious of their surroundings. They did bump draft with me at Tally and Daytona, and I could do the same with them...and there was no sign of them being disturbed by it.

2. Have not jumped into career mode as of yet, but will give it a run as the day progresses.

3. There was a nice difference in the feel from Atlanta, Texas, Daytona and Tally. They didn't feel that same at all, and based off early impressions, they did a nice job trying to individualize and realistically replicate each track.

Pre-race presentation-Is there a full pace lap with the driver/grid position rundown like EA did a few years back? Very tv-style touch that was very nice. Also, any featured drivers pre-race?

Wreck/caution-how long is it between the wreck, caution and going into the pace lap? Time enough to 'go thru' the wreck if it happened up in front and you're in the back of the pack, or just 'there's a wreck' and then two seconds later in the caution lap?

Keep in mind, I have not done season or career, but in "race now" option, there was no pre-race or any presentation. It literally took you to the race about 100 yards away from the start finish line.

In regards to wrecking, you get to watch the whole wreck. It doesn't take you away to a cut scene instantly. I was in one at Tally, and it seemed like it lasted 20 seconds, and I was in one at Texas, and it only lasted about 10 seconds. Then it gives you the option to pit under caution...if you choose no, it takes to a few seconds before the green flag drops again.

I am very curious about the realism of the track surface. For example, Are there bumps in on the lowside of turns 1 and 2 at Las Vegas? Do the bumps upset the car and make you create a setup that can handle those bumps?

That leads to my other question. How much does messing with the setup actually change the feel of the car? When the track rubbers up, does the car get tighter?

From what I have seen, the bumps feel like they are barely noticeable. I felt a little bit at Daytona in turns 3 going into 4(keep in mind its still Daytona 10 on my copy) but nothing that really forced me to white knuckle the wheel at all. When an AI car gets into you, you notice that a lot more than any bumps on the track surface. If you're hoping to really feel the surface bumps and have it effect the car....probably not going to be real happy.

I will say the the driving model is really well done though, and you truly feel connected to the track surface.

Ok, going to go test some more, and try to get some photos, but videos may be very difficult. I am trying to find a way to do it right now. I will be back in a few to answer some more questions and give some solid impressions.

Game: NASCAR The Game 2011Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
NASCAR The Game 2011 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Lieutenant Dan @ 03/24/11 12:00 PM
Sounds good so far! Thanks Bob...maybe you can answer my pre-race presentation question after you start a career or a season.

# 2 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Dan
Sounds good so far! Thanks Bob...maybe you can answer my pre-race presentation question after you start a career or a season.

Yep....I will revisit a lot of these questions as the day goes on, and my time with the game increases.

# 3 neifro @ 03/24/11 12:51 PM
A couple quick questions:

1. In the HUD settings are there options to turn of the visual draft lines, points for passing, track map, cars around you, ect.... basically can you turn off/on everything on your HUD?

2. How does the damage model look? Are there different settings ( arcade, min,realistic). How touchy is the damage on its most realistic( even if im super clean in a race, am I going to finish with a beat up ride because the damage model is so touchy)?

3. On pit stops is there any indication that the cpu will be pitting too at the time? It would be nice (spotter) to give you a heads up so if your running towards the front of a race at the end and its one of those times were you think should I or should I not pit. You decide to pit and nobody else comes with you and your stuck on a restart in 40th with 10laps to go.

# 4 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 01:11 PM
Career mode impressions:

Ok, so I started a career just using Jeff Gordon, and set it to the hardest difficulty for the AI, and next to hardest for my driving aids.

The presentation is all in here.....and well done. There is a video tutorial that starts the career mode, and then it bascially kicks you into the 1st race(So I just went with it)

Daytona

Options to practice and tweak your car are there, and then to qaulify. There is no hot lapping, happy hour, as its really just practice and tweak, qualifying, then race.

Pre-race pesentation - They did the fly-by, showed the whole pack running around the track, and they talk about the event, but nothing specific......like "look out for Jeff Gordon today" Pretty basic stuff.

You can change it to any length of race, or difficulty on the fly even right before the race starts...which is nice. I did a 30 lapper@ 4x wear. I led the first 9 laps, then got brushed into the wall. Damage really plays a huge and significant role in this game. Keeping your clean is the only way to win. If you continously bump and grind, you will pay for it.

On lap 10, I was knocked into the wall, and it slowed me down, but only dropped to 14th. There was osme very good racing, until a AI caused caution came out on lap 19. I pitted(but forgot to get gas) and you have to make sure that you select what you want to happen, it doesnt default anything.

So I had to stop back in and pit to get gas, but thankfully there was "the big one" and I was not involved....so I was able to get gas, and catch back up to the end of pack.

After 3 cautions(none really caused by me) I was back to middle of the pack, and someone hooked me and put my nose into the wall. Need less to say, I had to pit again, and finished 41st.

The AI races hard, but fair, and the little crosshair map at the bottom of the screen is an incredbly useful tool.

There was no post race celebration, and I assume because I didn't win. It just shows you the results, then back to the garage(which is not interactive) and you can choose to go to next race.....wash, rinse. repeat.

# 5 chapmac24 @ 03/24/11 01:15 PM
Can't wait until you get some videos!!

# 6 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neifro
A couple quick questions:

1. In the HUD settings are there options to turn of the visual draft lines, points for passing, track map, cars around you, ect.... basically can you turn off/on everything on your HUD?

From what I can see so far, only thing I could turn off was the draft wake

2. How does the damage model look? Are there different settings ( arcade, min,realistic). How touchy is the damage on its most realistic( even if im super clean in a race, am I going to finish with a beat up ride because the damage model is so touchy)?

The damage is not overdone at all. In fact , when it happens on the track its hardly noticeable to the eye. When they show the replay, you notice it, and see debris on the track. I wish it was more noticeable as it occurs, but overall...its not over the top, like some had feared. It looks really nice, but if you run a clean race, you car pretty much reflects that.

3. On pit stops is there any indication that the cpu will be pitting too at the time? It would be nice (spotter) to give you a heads up so if your running towards the front of a race at the end and its one of those times were you think should I or should I not pit. You decide to pit and nobody else comes with you and your stuck on a restart in 40th with 10laps to go.
The only time my spotter has mentioned anything about itting, is when he said " the leader is pitting now". The nice thing is, from what I have seen, is that it gives you a second or two before he actually pulls off the track towadrs the bottom. So there is a little notice, but not much.

# 7 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmac24
Can't wait until you get some videos!!
Well here is the issue, you cant go into "photo mode" unless you are using a controller. I am using my gt5 wheel, and even if I turn on one of DS3 controllers, it still will not let me. So I think its safe to assume that unless your willing to unplug your wheel, then turn your controller on, you cant take photos.

As far videos go, the option I was hoping would work, is not. I am hoping it has a video mode, in which I can record, the upload. This next time I turn the game on(after a little lunch) I am going to test with a controller, and try photo mode...and hopefully videos can done somehow.

By the way........the game controls just awesome with a wheel!

# 8 BaseballCtchr @ 03/24/11 01:22 PM
How is it with the controller? I only use a controller and think I am pretty competitive with it.

# 9 chapmac24 @ 03/24/11 01:25 PM
I think we'd all be fine with a digital camera recording your tv screen lol

# 10 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCtchr
How is it with the controller? I only use a controller and think I am pretty competitive with it.
That's what I am about to test out as soon as I grab just a bit of lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmac24
I think we'd all be fine with a digital camera recording your tv screen lol
Yeah....now I just need to find my Digital camera!

# 11 Lieutenant Dan @ 03/24/11 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCtchr
Glad to hear it works great with a wheel for all our guys here that are lucky to have one.

I'm also looking forward to hearing how it works with the controller...especially trying to hold 'er steady in a pack at a superspeedway, or doing the smooth and steady turns for 'regular' tracks like Vegas, Fontana, Kansas, etc.

Thank you, Bob!

# 12 seasprite @ 03/24/11 01:46 PM
Great hearing that the legend settings make it much more difficult and I am assuming a little less Arcady. Keep up the impressions we appreciate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 13 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 02:25 PM
Just tested the game out with a controller, and it actually is very driveable...which is a suprise to me. I lowered the assist settings to middle of the road, and I caould drive pretty darn smoothe around Kentucky. It may feel the same on higher difficulty, but wanted to start low.

Here is a photo of some damage in game, after a brush with a wall and another car swiped me. I tried to turn around on the track to show absolute devestation....but the throw the caution when you do that. So I am going to have to turn all flags off, and try it again for you guys.

# 14 Senor Nascar @ 03/24/11 02:25 PM
Thank you very much for answering my questions. I was a bit concerned about the bumps on the tracks and had a feeling they weren't going to be there. I am definitely taking the good with the bad though and definitely sounds like there is a lot more good than bad.

One more question for you. I read in the recent hands-on preview by racesimecentral.com that there was some concern of the drafting/ slingshot thing being overdone specifically at non restrictot plate tracks. Do you notice that at all on the hardest difficulty?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all of our questions and giving us your impressions. It is much appreciated.

# 15 mrtuttle76 @ 03/24/11 02:31 PM
how does the in car camera look?

# 16 mm boost @ 03/24/11 02:34 PM
i want to see how far the damage goes on the cars. I want to see a car annihilated to the point where it can't be damaged anymore. Do you think you could post pictures of this???

# 17 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Nascar
Thank you very much for answering my questions. I was a bit concerned about the bumps on the tracks and had a feeling they weren't going to be there. I am definitely taking the good with the bad though and definitely sounds like there is a lot more good than bad.

One more question for you. I read in the recent hands-on preview by racesimecentral.com that there was some concern of the drafting/ slingshot thing being overdone specifically at non restrictot plate tracks. Do you notice that at all on the hardest difficulty?

I can only assume its because he had it on a really low difficulty. If you fall more than 7-8 car lengths behind a car...the draft is minimal at best. Now if you are just a half a car length, or bump drafting...the draft is very prevelant......but not really overdone.

The game is what you want to make it, which is what Eutechnyx said it would be. If you want to go hard-core, you can. While it may not be NASCAR 2003 sim, its till pretty damn good. If you want it to be arcade, and just a fun racer....you can absolutely set it up that way. I really think its going to appeal to all types. That's something that a lot of developer's set out to do, but few actually accomplish it.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all of our questions and giving us your impressions. It is much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RILLA19
Thank you for the updates! Have you had a chance to go online? How is that?
I am happy to do as much as I can. I did go online, and while I was able to connect, it could not creat a race lobby for me.

# 18 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtuttle76
how does the in car camera look?
The in-car cam(cockpit) is done very well. In fact, they have 2 versions of in-car, 1 hood, 1 1st person, and 1 3rd person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
i want to see how far the damage goes on the cars. I want to see a car annihilated to the point where it can't be damaged anymore. Do you think you could post pictures of this???

I am going to go now, and turn off all flags and do a "Dega" big one....if I can. Be back in a few, hopefully with some nice pics of the catastrophic damage.

For those concerend about no DNF"S...while they are not in the game, if you really choose to run around the track with only 60% car abaility...you're just insane. It might as well be a DNF, as you can't control the car, it's all over the place, and your speed is gone!

# 19 BronxBombers22 @ 03/24/11 02:41 PM
Its good to hear that the AI will actually cause cautions.

# 20 Ænima @ 03/24/11 02:41 PM
So the draft is toned down on higher difficulties? Thank goodness.

Can you customize your HUD? IE - if I want to play on legend driving in car with no draft meter, no wind trails, no RIVAL graphic and no pop up point notifiers, can I do that?

« Previous1234567898081Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.