Home
NASCAR The Game 2011 News Post

I received the game this morning at 9 AM. Please keep in mind, I have only raced 4 times so far and practiced at another.

I am going to answer as many questions as I can that have already been asked, then will keep posting impressions and answer as many questions as I can. I have my PS3 in my office hooked up to the same monitor as my PC, so I have to switch over, so If I don't immediately respond to something, it's because I am on the PS3.

On to the questions, from the other topic.

I wanna know how are the Graphics compared to NASCAR 09? I really can't get a good grasp from the videos. Thanks.

IMO the graphics are a bit better than NASCAR 09. NASCAR 09 was a nice looking game, but I think NTG11 does a better job here. There is a very natural, organic look to it, almost like MLB The Show has. The color palate is there, but it's not too crisp, or overdone.

The car models are nicely executed, and tracks look beautiful.

1. I think we are all wondering about the difficulty of the game and if what we saw in the videos was on some easier level. Is the game more realistic than what the videos may have lead us to believe?

2. Is there a true career mode, or is it just a season, and how does that work?

3. Do you get the sense that you are at 30+ different tracks, or does it feel like most of the tracks run about the same?

1. I set the difficulty for the AI on the highest at Tally, Daytona, and Texas. They were very competitive at Tally and Daytona, and Texas were just better than me....flat out! What I really like so far about the AI, is that they are aggressive, but not cheap. They understand that you are also on the track, and try to be cautious of their surroundings. They did bump draft with me at Tally and Daytona, and I could do the same with them...and there was no sign of them being disturbed by it.

2. Have not jumped into career mode as of yet, but will give it a run as the day progresses.

3. There was a nice difference in the feel from Atlanta, Texas, Daytona and Tally. They didn't feel that same at all, and based off early impressions, they did a nice job trying to individualize and realistically replicate each track.

Pre-race presentation-Is there a full pace lap with the driver/grid position rundown like EA did a few years back? Very tv-style touch that was very nice. Also, any featured drivers pre-race?

Wreck/caution-how long is it between the wreck, caution and going into the pace lap? Time enough to 'go thru' the wreck if it happened up in front and you're in the back of the pack, or just 'there's a wreck' and then two seconds later in the caution lap?

Keep in mind, I have not done season or career, but in "race now" option, there was no pre-race or any presentation. It literally took you to the race about 100 yards away from the start finish line.

In regards to wrecking, you get to watch the whole wreck. It doesn't take you away to a cut scene instantly. I was in one at Tally, and it seemed like it lasted 20 seconds, and I was in one at Texas, and it only lasted about 10 seconds. Then it gives you the option to pit under caution...if you choose no, it takes to a few seconds before the green flag drops again.

I am very curious about the realism of the track surface. For example, Are there bumps in on the lowside of turns 1 and 2 at Las Vegas? Do the bumps upset the car and make you create a setup that can handle those bumps?

That leads to my other question. How much does messing with the setup actually change the feel of the car? When the track rubbers up, does the car get tighter?

From what I have seen, the bumps feel like they are barely noticeable. I felt a little bit at Daytona in turns 3 going into 4(keep in mind its still Daytona 10 on my copy) but nothing that really forced me to white knuckle the wheel at all. When an AI car gets into you, you notice that a lot more than any bumps on the track surface. If you're hoping to really feel the surface bumps and have it effect the car....probably not going to be real happy.

I will say the the driving model is really well done though, and you truly feel connected to the track surface.

Ok, going to go test some more, and try to get some photos, but videos may be very difficult. I am trying to find a way to do it right now. I will be back in a few to answer some more questions and give some solid impressions.

Game: NASCAR The Game 2011Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
NASCAR The Game 2011 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Mbalmer @ 03/24/11 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Balmer...I will answer this for you, I just need to spend more time with it. It wil probably be tomorrow before I can answer it completely bro.

Sounds great. Thanks for keeping us posted!

# 42 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 03:54 PM
Ok Gents.....it is about 3pm central time right now. I need to take a small break as I have been at this for about 5 hours already. I will be back on around 4pm central(an hour from now) and get back to it.

# 43 goosedawg68 @ 03/24/11 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Can't wait til Tuesday.

# 44 Spider Tre @ 03/24/11 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbalmer
I wish I had not read this thread as it has me more excited then I already was.

The question I would like to know the answer to is how long is career mode? If it is multiple seasons, do drivers just not age at all? Is, for example, jeff Gordon still going to be racing if I play 15 seasons?
i read on the NTG forums that the career mode has unlimited seasons. it goes as far as you want it to

# 45 Lieutenant Dan @ 03/24/11 04:08 PM
Quote:
Could be....BTW framrate is just awesome...no hiccups, glitches, screen tears, or weird anomalies so far!
As to the damage during the big one (lack of damage), I agree there were likely frame-rate concerns. That's a LOT of on-the-fly math you'd be trying to pull off!

I'm DELIGHTED to hear the game is smooth. I hate hate HATE 'framey' or stuttery or erratic frame rates in driving games specifically, and games in general.

How is the audio? The audio of the NASCARS in GT5 is pretty bad, very digital.

My next question was going to be about in-car view but that's been answered too, thanks again, Bob!

# 46 Papi34 @ 03/24/11 04:10 PM
Quote:
Honestly after having the game for the time that I have had it...it is a must buy for all NASCAR gamers, and really racing fans in general. There seems to be some good racing with the AI, the graphics are very well done, car models and tracks look great.....

Based off of my hopes for the game....I would say that it is the best NASCAR game to ever hit a console, and meets what I expected, and may exceed them after I have some more seat time with the title.
Thanks a lot for that Blue (again!). I've been holding off on preordering with the few concerns that cropped up recently.
Seriously no pressure whatsoever, but that's just what I was hoping to hear. Preorder here we come!

# 47 Lucian @ 03/24/11 04:16 PM
Awesome impressions. Thanks OP!

# 48 Blitz1942 @ 03/24/11 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Tre
i read on the NTG forums that the career mode has unlimited seasons. it goes as far as you want it to
They had better have retirements then. I don't care if they replace the retired drivers with fantasy drivers, but it would be ridiculous to be 15 seasons in and still have Mark Martin driving...

# 49 FSU Judge @ 03/24/11 04:24 PM
Disappointed by the pics showing no body damage during crashes. Couple of questions--

1. During crashes was there smoke, tire marks on track, oil on windshield, etc. or anything else like in the promo videos? (I wouldn't mind it not showing up in replays as long as it is in there when it happens)

2. Even though damage not shown in pics during crash (from replay I assume), once race restarts do the cars involved have crumpled fenders or other evidence of being involved in crash (as was shown in some of the early gameplay videos)? If so, how about some pics showing how trashed you can get it after a few big ones?

3. Can you tell whether damaged car affect speed, handling, etc.?

4. And, in your Daytona race where you said there were some AI crashes, do those cars straggle around the track for the rest of the race (as in real life) or are they able to (unrealistically) run in the pack full speed?

Thanks.

# 50 Spider Tre @ 03/24/11 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1942
They had better have retirements then. I don't care if they replace the retired drivers with fantasy drivers, but it would be ridiculous to be 15 seasons in and still have Mark Martin driving...
nope, everybody keeps their ride

# 51 FSU Judge @ 03/24/11 04:44 PM
1. Have you seen any lead changes between AI cars, or once an AI car gets in the lead, does it pretty much stay there?

2. Is there any jockeying for position amonst the AI cars in the pack or do they pretty much just stay in the same positions throughout the race?

3. how about a pick of the post-race rundown page, showing starting and finishing positions and laps led? (which might answer some of the above questions)

# 52 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Judge
Disappointed by the pics showing no body damage during crashes. Couple of questions--

1. During crashes was there smoke, tire marks on track, oil on windshield, etc. or anything else like in the promo videos? (I wouldn't mind it not showing up in replays as long as it is in there when it happens)

Absolutely there was smoke, tire marks...etc...etc. There was every indication that a massive accident had just happened, but just not enough physical body evidence, until after the wreck.

2. Even though damage not shown in pics during crash (from replay I assume), once race restarts do the cars involved have crumpled fenders or other evidence of being involved in crash (as was shown in some of the early gameplay videos)? If so, how about some pics showing how trashed you can get it after a few big ones?

Once the replay starts you can see heavy damage all over the place, including your own car. I will post a pic later today of a car with heavy damage...after the replay is over.
3. Can you tell whether damaged car affect speed, handling, etc.?

Both my car, and the AI car we severly crippled after the wreck. Even after we pitted, we just could not stay with the rest of the pack, and hold or speed. Hell, it was a struggle to hold a straight line.

4. And, in your Daytona race where you said there were some AI crashes, do those cars straggle around the track for the rest of the race (as in real life) or are they able to (unrealistically) run in the pack full speed?

Yeah, the cars at Daytona that were involved in the bog one, they were no longer a threat to anyone ion the pack. It might as well have been a DNF for them.

Thanks.

# 53 bluengold34_OS @ 03/24/11 04:55 PM
Quote:
1. Have you seen any lead changes between AI cars, or once an AI car gets in the lead, does it pretty much stay there?

I have seen mulitple cars fight for the lead, take different lines, and takeover the lead of a race. I have not seen any evidence of rubber band AI, or GT5 type of running 1 line. There seemed to be a lot of independant style driving from the AI.

2. Is there any jockeying for position amonst the AI cars in the pack or do they pretty much just stay in the same positions throughout the race?

Bro...AI cars were all over the place trying to fight each other for position. I would see them take the lead, fall off, fight their way back up....all different scenario's,

3. how about a pick of the post-race rundown page, showing starting and finishing positions and laps led? (which might answer some of the above questions).

The post race rundown is pretty bland(unless you win the race...which I have not done yet. I can gran a screen cap if you want, but it's literally just text with your basic informative breakdown of the race

# 54 FSU Judge @ 03/24/11 04:58 PM
Thanks for responses to both sets of questions. Looking forward to picking it up Tuesday. Only downside is TW coming out same day with Augusta, which is something else I have been waiting on for ump-teen million years. Going to be a long night Tues for sure!!

# 55 mrtuttle76 @ 03/24/11 04:59 PM
how do the engines sound? and have you seen the pit stops yet?

# 56 pcrumley9 @ 03/24/11 05:00 PM
Great impressions!! How is the sense of speed w/ cockpit view? Thanks!

# 57 HendrickRules @ 03/24/11 05:05 PM
How about the Spotter? Does he accurately tell you if you got cars around or if you´re running 2,3 or even 4 wide.
I´m rather worried about this point as the video footages that we´ve seen indeed included a spotter voice but he almost never told you anything about that.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

~HendrickRules

# 58 bballshawn24 @ 03/24/11 05:11 PM
videos? possibly

# 59 Rules @ 03/24/11 05:32 PM
Have you seen or had a flat tire and if so, did the car handle poorly? Any serious vibrations using the wheel?

# 60 the_serz88 @ 03/24/11 05:39 PM
Quote:
Thanks for responses to both sets of questions. Looking forward to picking it up Tuesday. Only downside is TW coming out same day with Augusta, which is something else I have been waiting on for ump-teen million years. Going to be a long night Tues for sure!!
You haven't bailed cuz of the whole caddie system thing, huh?

Also, it's a good thing the cars do become damaged after the wrecks when the race restarts cuz uhhhhhh remember- no dnfs! I was wondering how that was gonna work if they sustained little to no damage.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.