Home
NASCAR The Game 2011 News Post

I received the game this morning at 9 AM. Please keep in mind, I have only raced 4 times so far and practiced at another.

I am going to answer as many questions as I can that have already been asked, then will keep posting impressions and answer as many questions as I can. I have my PS3 in my office hooked up to the same monitor as my PC, so I have to switch over, so If I don't immediately respond to something, it's because I am on the PS3.

On to the questions, from the other topic.

I wanna know how are the Graphics compared to NASCAR 09? I really can't get a good grasp from the videos. Thanks.

IMO the graphics are a bit better than NASCAR 09. NASCAR 09 was a nice looking game, but I think NTG11 does a better job here. There is a very natural, organic look to it, almost like MLB The Show has. The color palate is there, but it's not too crisp, or overdone.

The car models are nicely executed, and tracks look beautiful.

1. I think we are all wondering about the difficulty of the game and if what we saw in the videos was on some easier level. Is the game more realistic than what the videos may have lead us to believe?

2. Is there a true career mode, or is it just a season, and how does that work?

3. Do you get the sense that you are at 30+ different tracks, or does it feel like most of the tracks run about the same?

1. I set the difficulty for the AI on the highest at Tally, Daytona, and Texas. They were very competitive at Tally and Daytona, and Texas were just better than me....flat out! What I really like so far about the AI, is that they are aggressive, but not cheap. They understand that you are also on the track, and try to be cautious of their surroundings. They did bump draft with me at Tally and Daytona, and I could do the same with them...and there was no sign of them being disturbed by it.

2. Have not jumped into career mode as of yet, but will give it a run as the day progresses.

3. There was a nice difference in the feel from Atlanta, Texas, Daytona and Tally. They didn't feel that same at all, and based off early impressions, they did a nice job trying to individualize and realistically replicate each track.

Pre-race presentation-Is there a full pace lap with the driver/grid position rundown like EA did a few years back? Very tv-style touch that was very nice. Also, any featured drivers pre-race?

Wreck/caution-how long is it between the wreck, caution and going into the pace lap? Time enough to 'go thru' the wreck if it happened up in front and you're in the back of the pack, or just 'there's a wreck' and then two seconds later in the caution lap?

Keep in mind, I have not done season or career, but in "race now" option, there was no pre-race or any presentation. It literally took you to the race about 100 yards away from the start finish line.

In regards to wrecking, you get to watch the whole wreck. It doesn't take you away to a cut scene instantly. I was in one at Tally, and it seemed like it lasted 20 seconds, and I was in one at Texas, and it only lasted about 10 seconds. Then it gives you the option to pit under caution...if you choose no, it takes to a few seconds before the green flag drops again.

I am very curious about the realism of the track surface. For example, Are there bumps in on the lowside of turns 1 and 2 at Las Vegas? Do the bumps upset the car and make you create a setup that can handle those bumps?

That leads to my other question. How much does messing with the setup actually change the feel of the car? When the track rubbers up, does the car get tighter?

From what I have seen, the bumps feel like they are barely noticeable. I felt a little bit at Daytona in turns 3 going into 4(keep in mind its still Daytona 10 on my copy) but nothing that really forced me to white knuckle the wheel at all. When an AI car gets into you, you notice that a lot more than any bumps on the track surface. If you're hoping to really feel the surface bumps and have it effect the car....probably not going to be real happy.

I will say the the driving model is really well done though, and you truly feel connected to the track surface.

Ok, going to go test some more, and try to get some photos, but videos may be very difficult. I am trying to find a way to do it right now. I will be back in a few to answer some more questions and give some solid impressions.

Game: NASCAR The Game 2011Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
NASCAR The Game 2011 Videos
Member Comments
# 941 brandon27 @ 03/29/11 09:41 AM
Blue and the others here, thanks for all your impressions on this game so far. Been reading this thread constantly since Thursday. Finally, I can go pick up my copy today! Leaving the house now, excited to get this today along with TW12/Masters as well.

I guess the one good thing that has come of this throat infection and cold I have is that its enabled me to take a legitimate sick day for once for a game release!

# 942 SSWood10 @ 03/29/11 09:43 AM
Both funny and sad to see unfortunately.(see Bristol vid above)

Hopefully the Devs can do a lot of patching to fix all this kind of stuff.

# 943 Kibby @ 03/29/11 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSWood10
Both funny and sad to see unfortunately.(see Bristol vid above)

Hopefully the Devs can do a lot of patching to fix all this kind of stuff.
Well to be fair, much of that wreck occurred after the race concluded, and it's typical for racing A.I. to go brain dead after the checkered flag - that goes for every racing game.

# 944 TIm @ 03/29/11 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby
Well to be fair, much of that wreck occurred after the race concluded, and it's typical for racing A.I. to go brain dead after the checkered flag - that goes for every racing game.

Good call man!! The race just finished... First time I watched it I just didn't pay attention!! Users, Take note!!!! This happens AFTER the race finishes... AI DOES go braindead in most games when races are completed as Kibby stated.... I was going to get my copy by now but since I have to go back into town in a couple of hours, I will just go then!! I might think about getting the microsoft wheel but will try the controller first...

# 945 GibsonD90 @ 03/29/11 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
Good call man!! The race just finished... First time I watched it I just didn't pay attention!! Users, Take note!!!! This happens AFTER the race finishes... AI DOES go braindead in most games when races are completed as Kibby stated.... I was going to get my copy by now but since I have to go back into town in a couple of hours, I will just go then!! I might think about getting the microsoft wheel but will try the controller first...
Well actually, no, it doesn't. The user finished 1st, meaning all of those AI cars would still need to finish at least one more lap..

# 946 SSWood10 @ 03/29/11 10:50 AM
I realize it was after the race had finished, but can it be that hard to just program the cars to continue to pit lane single file? Just something strange about racing games for so many years how the AI is always doing weird things. (ie: braking too much in corners or tri-ovals etc) Someday it'll get figured out I'm sure.

Looking forward to picking up a copy later today to give a shot. Not expecting iRacing or NR 2003 but something as a change to MLB The Show all the time.

edit: you're right Gibson, that all happened while the race was officially still going on actually, hmmm.

# 947 bluengold34_OS @ 03/29/11 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSWood10
I realize it was after the race had finished, but can it be that hard to just program the cars to continue to pit lane single file? Just something strange about racing games for so many years how the AI is always doing weird things. (ie: braking too much in corners or tri-ovals etc) Someday it'll get figured out I'm sure.

Looking forward to picking up a copy later today to give a shot. Not expecting iRacing or NR 2003 but something as a change to MLB The Show all the time.
That's a good thing, because it is not iRacing or NASCAR 2003. I do think the driving model is very close to NR2k3 though, and since you obviously have played 2k3, I am curious as if you feel the same(when you get it)

# 948 Kibby @ 03/29/11 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonD90
Well actually, no, it doesn't. The user finished 1st, meaning all of those AI cars would still need to finish at least one more lap..
The original crash was caused by cars still racing, yes. But, the user controlled car, and the A.I. cars behind him had finished the race and went into sleep mode, and that's when the absurdity starts.

# 949 realtmd @ 03/29/11 11:21 AM
Hey I am new here and I will be picking up the game later today but I do have one question. Is there driver ratings system similar to the ea games? Like say you qualify at the same track with Jimmie Johnson then Jennifer Jo Cobb will Jimmie pretty much be automatically faster or be easier to win the race with?

# 950 chapmac24 @ 03/29/11 11:32 AM
Anybody found a way to put manufacturer decals and/ or headlights on the create-a-car post patch?

# 951 Ænima @ 03/29/11 12:31 PM
Okay, so I just got the game and I've been playing for a few hours offline. Difficulty is... ehh. On Hard at Daytona I could pull away without a drafting partner. On Very Hard at Bristol I couldn't keep up with Todd Bodine for 42nd place.

I'm hoping you can adjust the difficulty from race to race in career mode when I settle on a real driver (probably a custom one).

However, I want to stress that online is BROKEN right now. I'm not talking about buggy, I'm talking broken. Here is what just happened in my first race:

Eight players, most of us driving the 24 or the 88 (lol). That didn't bother me. As soon as it loads into the track (Talladega), I am upside down skidding across the pavement. Other people are also spinning, flipping or parked backwards as the race goes green. We have no control as this is happening. As we gain control, my car rights itself and I drive through the spinning and the smoke to find myself in second place. The leader is the only car that wasn't flipping and spinning at the start. He is probably four or five seconds ahead of me.

I am one lap down.

Over the next five laps, I chase him down and pass him to unlap myself. Nevermind that HE NEVER LAPPED ME. Although I am gaining on him as we actually drive, scoring shows me (and everyone else) continuing to LOSE LAPS.

He finishes the 9 lap race while I am on lap 5. I finish second, four laps down, despite winning the race (despite flipping around like the other seven drivers behind him, I caught him and passed him on track, finishing ahead of his car).

Online is BROKEN. Someone in the lobby suggested that this bug has something to do with players who are playing without the patch because they haven't booted out and booted back in since the patch went live this morning. That seems reasonable.

If you're waiting to get home and go right online to race, temper your enthusiasm and show some patience. Or, at least, bring your sense of humor.

For what it is worth, I was laughing the whole time. I always wanted to play in a Beta. :P

# 952 Jonsco28 @ 03/29/11 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby
I didn't find this funny...I'd think it woud be rather embarrassing for the developers. I came to this forum thinking I might be interested in the game and that video confirmed to me that I am not.

# 953 Ænima @ 03/29/11 12:44 PM
I should point out that despite the massive multiplayer bug(s) the game plays great. The sense of speed when you're running in-car is absolutely phenomenal. Your view is restricted, the window net wavers in the air and there is a faint sound of wind rushing by over the engines. Debris builds up during a green flag run and you really feel like you are going nearly 200 miles an hour.

It's impressive, IMO.

EDIT: In case anyone was worried, your stats don't reset if you reset your career to pick a new driver. I switched from Junior to JPM so I wouldn't have the same car as everyone else online and it still shows my record for fastest lap, my online top five and everything.

# 954 chrisasst @ 03/29/11 12:51 PM
Been playing for a few hours now..

During career, for each race you can adjust the # of laps, difficulty ,etc....
The yellow flag still is not fixed. I have spun with a bunch of cars and no yellow sometimes. Also..I do not see an option to fix damage when you pit. Also I think the damage is beefed up a little to much. I brushed the wall and looked at the front of my car, and the whole right front is basically damaged.

# 955 Mbalmer @ 03/29/11 12:52 PM
Has anyone played the ps3 version with a fanatec wheel yet? Just want to know how it works.

# 956 luciano2421 @ 03/29/11 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænima
Okay, so I just got the game and I've been playing for a few hours offline. Difficulty is... ehh. On Hard at Daytona I could pull away without a drafting partner. On Very Hard at Bristol I couldn't keep up with Todd Bodine for 42nd place.

I'm hoping you can adjust the difficulty from race to race in career mode when I settle on a real driver (probably a custom one).

However, I want to stress that online is BROKEN right now. I'm not talking about buggy, I'm talking broken. Here is what just happened in my first race:

Eight players, most of us driving the 24 or the 88 (lol). That didn't bother me. As soon as it loads into the track (Talladega), I am upside down skidding across the pavement. Other people are also spinning, flipping or parked backwards as the race goes green. We have no control as this is happening. As we gain control, my car rights itself and I drive through the spinning and the smoke to find myself in second place. The leader is the only car that wasn't flipping and spinning at the start. He is probably four or five seconds ahead of me.

I am one lap down.

Over the next five laps, I chase him down and pass him to unlap myself. Nevermind that HE NEVER LAPPED ME. Although I am gaining on him as we actually drive, scoring shows me (and everyone else) continuing to LOSE LAPS.

He finishes the 9 lap race while I am on lap 5. I finish second, four laps down, despite winning the race (despite flipping around like the other seven drivers behind him, I caught him and passed him on track, finishing ahead of his car).

Online is BROKEN. Someone in the lobby suggested that this bug has something to do with players who are playing without the patch because they haven't booted out and booted back in since the patch went live this morning. That seems reasonable.

If you're waiting to get home and go right online to race, temper your enthusiasm and show some patience. Or, at least, bring your sense of humor.

For what it is worth, I was laughing the whole time. I always wanted to play in a Beta. :P
I agree with every thing you just posted. I will say that the only time I have raced online cleanly is when it was just me another guy racing. They really need to fix this online before I take it back and get tiger. As you most know cause I have posted this, I want to race just online.

Now my first impressions is this. I love the way the race feels. But i feel the FF on my Xbox 360 is lacking. Maybe its the pro or legend settings I am using? Also does anyone else feel its easy to get wreceked or wreck other people. Like I was racing and I went up to bump some one on the side and I went spinning?

I like this game and think it has great potential but I am seeing alot stuff that can/need to be improved.

Thinks that stick out in my mind right now

1. No Lobbies
2. No Online Leagues to race season
3. Online is broken to the point where i don't even want to play it.
4. No Sliders for career mode to set the A.I. how you want it.
5. Can't change cars in online/offline modes. Set as your career car as default.
6. No cautions for quick or custom races
7. Wrecks every where
8. To easy to be wrecked by A.I. or online drivers.
9. No Lobbies
10. No custom car paints on 360 version

I will continue to play it but I am really unhappy about the online aspect of the game. Offline its great just wish there was sliders to adjust difficulty of how you want it to be set up.

So far I give it a 6/10 just cause the online is crap right now. Hopefully this changes in time.

# 957 Mbalmer @ 03/29/11 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy90
im gonna go rent it today and ill try it out tonight on my wheel...im waitin for the game to go on a price drop before i buy it

What kind of wheel do you have? Could you pm me and let me know how it works out for you?

Thanks

# 958 Hibs06 @ 03/29/11 01:02 PM
I might be getting the game today for the Xbox. I'm not an online racer, so that aspect of the game doesn't bother me. Can someone please tell me what their impressions are of the offline gameplay? I wondering what the game is like on the hardest a.i. setting and completely sim? Is it still too easy, or do you have to adjust your care to keep up?

# 959 stlcaridnals1522 @ 03/29/11 01:02 PM
Blue, can you talk to the developers about only being able to use the car you pick for career online, and only having 60 seconds to setup a match. Thanks it would be great if that could be fixed!

# 960 Ænima @ 03/29/11 01:06 PM
Cars that go backwards online are not transparent or anything. Just had a finish ruined by an idiot going backwards.

That said, I was dominating the race up front by four seconds, feeling like I was safe since it is a console racer. I'm running Legend (with a controller) so no assists and manual transmission. Most of the guys online I'm running against have auto transmission and at least some assists on.

Like I said, I was out front by four seconds at Texas laughing it up at my lead. Went into turn one too hard and got up in the loose stuff. No big deal, right?

Coming off two out of the groove, with no traction I had NO CHANCE coming out of the turn. Tried to save it, couldn't. Spun down to the inner wall and kicked myself a dozen times.

The realism caught me off guard. If you run without assists and screw up, you pay for it.

Kind of frustrating when you're surrounded by players that WON'T pay for it, but on the flip side - when I get out front in a race and run without mistakes? See you later.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.