Home
News Post

As most of you are aware, EA Tiburon has taken over the reigns of the next NBA simulation basketball game from EA Sports. It was just announced that the new game will not be released until the fall of 2012.

From the press release...

Quote:
"EA SPORTS has also announced that it will launch its next NBA simulation title in fall 2012.

“As planned, our next NBA simulation title is in development at our Tiburon Studio in Orlando,” said Peter Moore, President, EA SPORTS. “We have top talent on the game, and we’re giving the new development team time to deliver a superior experience. We’re making great strides and looking forward to launching a new game next year."

Member Comments
# 21 shadthedad @ 04/06/11 12:04 AM
This guarantees the new live will rock!

# 22 jfsolo @ 04/06/11 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadthedad
This guarantees the new live will rock!
No it doesn't.

# 23 statum71 @ 04/06/11 12:29 AM
I'm confident 2K12 will be just fine. I doubt they will get lazy because the competition is on hold....not gone.

Besides......2K seems to pride themselves in basketball.

# 24 Muzyk23 @ 04/06/11 06:04 AM
2k is too mature a company to sit on the laurels. What's more, they respect their customers and fans.

After all has been said and done, the name - Elite and the product itself seem to be the biggest busts ever in the history of sports gaming to me.

# 25 Boilerbuzz @ 04/06/11 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
Does this mean they have started from scratch with develpoment or part of the code from 11 will be kept as a basis?
I would guess that they will overhaul major systems as they see fit. I don't think they have time to start from a blank sheet and still get a game out that can be competitive. But, again, knowing Tiburon, the game will be the way THEY want it to be.

# 26 Boilerbuzz @ 04/06/11 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
IMO a college/Pro game should be released as one product. At least then the College license would make its money back. Problems would come with disc space...
No, problem would be the NCAA and NBA being on the same product. Which will NEVER happen so folks can stop asking for it.

# 27 Boilerbuzz @ 04/06/11 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
I'm confident 2K12 will be just fine. I doubt they will get lazy because the competition is on hold....not gone.

Besides......2K seems to pride themselves in basketball.
Prided themselves in football too.

# 28 bigsmallwood @ 04/06/11 01:03 PM
Wow this is a shocker to me. They are putting TONS of pressure on themselves by being off for two years straight. And I do not think 2K will rest on their laurels....they always have consistently delivered!

# 29 CX1329 @ 04/06/11 01:08 PM
If this had been posted on April 1st, I would have thought it was an April Fools' joke. This is really surprising. But then again, I probably shouldn't be too surprised, considering how much of a massive failure Elite 11 was.

# 30 dxdude2004 @ 04/06/11 01:13 PM
Alright EA, your next basketball game is coming out not this year, but 2012. Simply put, if you can't make big improvments in the game with THAT much time given to you, I see no reason why I would be buying anymore basketball from you after that.

By the way, we have word of their NBA title, is there any news on an NCAA title?

# 31 jyoung @ 04/06/11 01:27 PM
Glad to hear they are taking their time with Elite.

I hope when Elite finally does come out, it will be a big step forward.

# 32 da ThRONe @ 04/06/11 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzyk23
2k is too mature a company to sit on the laurels. What's more, they respect their customers and fans.

After all has been said and done, the name - Elite and the product itself seem to be the biggest busts ever in the history of sports gaming to me.
^This. As far as I'm concerned Live/Elite haven't been competition for 2K for some years now..

# 33 CX1329 @ 04/06/11 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
^This. As far as I'm concerned Live/Elite haven't been competition for 2K for some years now..

I do NOT want to compare both games here, but I'm just gonna go ahead and state that Live 10 was a very promising game. Plus, I wouldn't go as far as to say that any company makes a game for "the good of the fans". 2K is a company and likes profits, period. It just happens that basketball gamers want to spend their money on something that offers realism and sim gameplay, and EA executives failed to realize that. Pleasing the person who has the money to buy your game is good business sense.

I would love there to be more competition, so I'm hoping EA will come out with a fantastic basketball game in 2012. At the same time, I believe 2K won't see this year as an opportunity to take a break and relax for a year. I believe customers will be no less demanding now that EA is out of the scene for a year, and we'll still want to spend our money on a great basketball game that we deem worthy of it, especially in this economy. If 2K12 doesn't improve over 2K11, which was a brilliant title, I'm sure many will stick with 2K11. Thus, that is 2K's incentive to make a good basketball game this year.

# 34 da ThRONe @ 04/06/11 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX1329
I do NOT want to compare both games here, but I'm just gonna go ahead and state that Live 10 was a very promising game. Plus, I wouldn't go as far as to say that any company makes a game for "the good of the fans". 2K is a company and likes profits, period. It just happens that basketball gamers want to spend their money on something that offers realism and sim gameplay, and EA executives failed to realize that. Pleasing the person who has the money to buy your game is good business sense.

I would love there to be more competition, so I'm hoping EA will come out with a fantastic basketball game in 2012. At the same time, I believe 2K won't see this year as an opportunity to take a break and relax for a year. I believe customers will be no less demanding now that EA is out of the scene for a year, and we'll still want to spend our money on a great basketball game that we deem worthy of it, especially in this economy. If 2K12 doesn't improve over 2K11, which was a brilliant title, I'm sure many will stick with 2K11. Thus, that is 2K's incentive to make a good basketball game this year.
Wasn't trying to start that whole debate just giving some perspective to the notion that the other guys will get lazy. Ofcourse competition is a great thing and even though I haven't gotten into Live in a few years I'm somewhat bummed by the delay. I really thought that Elite approach was the right one. Be innovative and proactive. Too bad being that innovative will take longer than they thought originally.

# 35 stoncold32 @ 04/06/11 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
It's too bad we won't be able to see where they're at with the game for another year. It's always nice to watch the progression.
Not when your $60 is at stake

# 36 CX1329 @ 04/06/11 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Wasn't trying to start that whole debate just giving some perspective to the notion that the other guys will get lazy. Ofcourse competition is a great thing and even though I haven't gotten into Live in a few years I'm somewhat bummed by the delay. I really thought that Elite approach was the right one. Be innovative and proactive. Too bad being that innovative will take longer than they thought originally.

I know what you were doing, I was just saying why it makes perfect business sense for 2K to continue working hard on its game. If they want us keep buying 2K, they're gonna have to improve, or many will just stick with 2K11, a fantastic game. A smart company like 2K will please its target audience (sim gamers who have the money to buy basketball games) and give it what it wants, so they can continue to profit.

That was my point.

# 37 mwjr @ 04/06/11 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReapa
Even though I haven't purchased an NBA Live title since Live 03, I really hate the lack of competition on the sim bball arena this year. Though I'm an avid NBA 2K fan, I haven't been all too pleased with the direction the series has taken the last three years, and am a bit pessimistic about this year's release. Having said that, I can respect EA for at least devoting another year toward development instead of just rushing the game through the door to make a quick buck. But after the NBA Elite fiasco, this was probably their only option.
You haven't been happy with it? I haven't played it, but everywhere I read it's gotten rave reviews. It's at 89 on Metacritic.

# 38 DaReapa @ 04/06/11 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
You haven't been happy with it? I haven't played it, but everywhere I read it's gotten rave reviews. It's at 89 on Metacritic.
While I admire their efforts in increasing the learning curve and making it more of a game of strategy as it should be, I was not at all pleased with the means of which they used to create this "challenge" in the game. The game is much too animation heavy and scripted for me to actually enjoy a full game without getting frustrated. Total control over your player is the one thing that has been severely lacking in the last three versions of the game, IMO. The last game I truly enjoyed from 2K Sports, sans the frustration, was College Hoops 08.

There has been many praises sung about the game as you've eluded to, but personally, with all the bugs and other numerous issues going on with the game, I was never on board with the accolades. And this is coming from a long time fan of the NBA 2K series (since it first started on the PS2, to be exact).

# 39 Radja @ 04/07/11 10:24 AM
competition is always good. i always want there to be at least two versions of sports games. but business is business and if you can put a business out of business and increase your share, what are you going to do?

2k won't relax too much but it wouldn't be smart to put as much into next years game. they still need to improve and start driving the nail deeper into EA, but EA just gave them a 2 year cycle for a **** 2K basketball game to come out to really kill the competition.

# 40 elprez98 @ 04/07/11 11:07 AM
This would be the perfect time to for a college hoops release. Basketball exclusivity.

I think 2k12 will be a good game. With the foundation 2k11 built, they'd have to seriously screw up to make steps backwards, which they haven't don in about 5 years.

However, wouldn't it be prudent to make minor upgrades to 2k12 and save major gameplay updates for when EA releases Elite/Live in 2012?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.