Home
Madden 12 News Post

The Madden NFL 12 cover athlete is down to the final 2 athletes. Mike Vick (beating Adrian Peterson - 59%/41%) vs. Peyton Hillis (beating Aaron Rodgers - 61%/39%).

Voting has already begun and the Madden NFL 12 cover athlete will be announced on SportsNation April 27, at 4PM ET on ESPN2.

Who has your vote?

Madden NFL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 12 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 roadman @ 04/18/11 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
If it was really all about the hype, then why not just eliminate 5 guys or so a week and have it fully controlled?

Whatever...I guess I'll just disagree and let that be that.

In my case, I wouldn't mind if Rodgers won and it was rigged. As Rgiles said, it's all about the marketing and a brilliant marketing job it was.

# 42 bigsmallwood @ 04/18/11 03:01 PM
#TeamVICK!!!!!! #Philly #Vickadelphia Madden 12 Madness!!!

# 43 Senator Palmer @ 04/18/11 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
For whatever reason, fans don't seem to like Rodgers. He was snubbed at the pro bowl, and 2 months after he won Super Bowl MVP, I see people talking like they are sick of seeing him already as if he was Drew Brees or something.
I didn't realize that. I mean, I knew about the Pro Bowl, but I always thought it was the game and a half he missed towards the end of the season (when the voting was coming to a close) where the Packers were sliding that did him in there. But I didn't realize there was Rodgers fatigue out there. I think he's been pretty incognito. In fact, I haven't seen him at all since the Super Bowl. I'd have thought he'd be popping up on every sports channel like Clay Matthews -- who I think should be on the cover. That guys a marketer's dream.

# 44 RedZoneD25 @ 04/18/11 03:24 PM
Vick Vick Vick Vick Vick!

GO VICK! As an Eagles fan, seeing your QB on the cover of a game far outweighs the risk of a supposed curse.

# 45 roadman @ 04/18/11 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
Vick Vick Vick Vick Vick!

GO VICK! As an Eagles fan, seeing your QB on the cover of a game far outweighs the risk of a supposed curse.
Ha, until they go down with an injury.

# 46 Nab_Impervious_XII @ 04/18/11 03:42 PM
This definitely wasn't rigged. And I was one of those people who originally thought it was (to which I have to apologize to EA).

There is no way a company is going to willingly put Peyton Hillis or Michael Vick on their covers. Peyton Hillis is a virtual no-namer to your casual NFL fan (most people don't even know white running backs exist), and Michael Vick is still an extremely risky commodity for any company to associate with. Most people still think "dog killer" when they look at him and that could turn off mothers who buy this game for their kids.

If there was any rigging to take place, Aaron Rodgers would have been the PERFECT cover-boy. He's your down-to-earth guy from a wholesome small market team. He rose from all the doubt and replaced a legend. And he's an attractive dude (no homo). There isn't a flaw in his public character, and EA would have benefited tremendously from marketing him. Instead, they are putting their entire marketing campaign on the shoulders of 2 HUGE question marks. That takes some big balls, and I respect that, lol.

# 47 spankdatazz22 @ 04/18/11 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
I agree, but if it were "Fixed" like some say it is, wouldn't it be Aaron Rodgers vs someone like Brady or Manning?

It just makes no sense for Madden to rig it for Peyton Hillis and Michael Vick. None.
Both Hillis and Vick were on the Mike and Mike radio show to promote the cover vote contest before it started; I'm guessing they were part of the promotional tour to hype the contest. I don't care which one gets the cover, but does seem like a strange coincidence Hillis would make it over a more popular player like Rodgers, who was crazy good last year in the playoffs and Super Bowl (like Fitzgerald the year before when he got the cover after lighting it up in the playoffs). Not a big deal either way, but I think it was arranged

# 48 RedZoneD25 @ 04/18/11 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Ha, until they go down with an injury.
Injuries happen. Vick broke his collarbone with no curse against him, so I'm not worried at all. Plus if it IS real, why would the Browns want their lone positive at risk?

# 49 Chrisksaint @ 04/18/11 04:02 PM
Vick doesn't deserve to be on the cover at all. Just because he performed well on the football field doesn't at all make up for what he's done off the field, but whatever that's a different convo.

# 50 Tengo Juego @ 04/18/11 04:07 PM
A Packer would have been on my cover, regardless. Free BigDMo!

# 51 alifeincomplete @ 04/18/11 04:09 PM
Well this is humorous. I guess I know for a fact that I'll be picking out a custom cover for this game. Nothing against Hillis, but he's a very strange pick. As for Dog Killer... well, my sentiments remain the same.

# 52 RGiles36 @ 04/18/11 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab_Impervious_XII
This definitely wasn't rigged. And I was one of those people who originally thought it was (to which I have to apologize to EA).

There is no way a company is going to willingly put Peyton Hillis or Michael Vick on their covers. Peyton Hillis is a virtual no-namer to your casual NFL fan (most people don't even know white running backs exist), and Michael Vick is still an extremely risky commodity for any company to associate with.
Hillis is more known than you think when you consider that he was at the forefront of the marketing on Mike & Mike. And for those that don't know him, I'm sure EA is banking on their hype machine to make him a household name by August.

# 53 bedwardsroy19 @ 04/18/11 04:40 PM
Peyton Hillis all the way!

# 54 Nab_Impervious_XII @ 04/18/11 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Hillis is more known than you think when you consider that he was at the forefront of the marketing on Mike & Mike. And for those that don't know him, I'm sure EA is banking on their hype machine to make him a household name by August.
I'm not saying he's not known in niche markets like "Mike and Mike" which caters to a more sports-savy audience. I'm saying he's a virtual no-namer in the broad consumer market which is overwhelmingly more casual (i.e. people who only watch their team + the Superbowl and then buy Madden).

# 55 jmurphy31 @ 04/18/11 04:41 PM
Quote:
I agree with this. I have said this before, that it just seems too suspicious that both these guys were the two who were brought onto ESPN to promote this contest since day 1.

# 56 fliplm0de @ 04/18/11 04:43 PM
Wasn't rigged. But this could be an inside SICK JOKE. We all know the browns are considered the "dawgs" and with vick going against hillis it could be someones intentions of basing it off this joke. Ridiculous.

# 57 Nab_Impervious_XII @ 04/18/11 04:48 PM
I don't really find Peyton Hillis and Michael Vick both being on "Mike and Mike" that suspicious. Cleveland could have easily stuffed the ballot box to get their boy into the finals. And Michael Vick is polarizing enough to get a significant amount of troll-votes. The bottom line is that a true rigged vote would have conspired to get the most attractive coverboy as the victor, and both Hillis or Vick have huge question marks. From a marketing standpoint, they are both quite risky commodities.

# 58 RGiles36 @ 04/18/11 04:50 PM
Quote:
The bottom line is that a true rigged vote would have conspired to get the most attractive coverboy as the victor, and both Hillis or Vick have huge question marks.
Alright, I'll give you that. What's your take on Danny Woodhead being the Pat's representative and not MVP Tom Brady? I don't know what the bracket set-up was off hand, but my feeling is that Brady would've won in a landslide. Thus making it hard for whomever was slated to be the coverboy to actually win-out.

# 59 XtremeDunkz @ 04/18/11 05:10 PM
Quote:
Alright, I'll give you that. What's your take on Danny Woodhead being the Pat's representative and not MVP Tom Brady? I don't know what the bracket set-up was off hand, but my feeling is that Brady would've won in a landslide. Thus making it hard for whomever was slated to be the coverboy to actually win-out.
EA probably had to get the 32 participants to agree to the cover beforehand, Brady could have easily declined.

# 60 Evan_OS @ 04/18/11 05:34 PM
It seems no matter what people still think it's rigged even when Hillis beats Rodgers. Why the hell would they rig this anyway? It's a freakin' cover for god's sake. The only reason I can even think of why they would rig this is for marketing reasons, for example NBA 2K11 and MJ. But if they wanted to put a more well know player on the cover for sales, why did they have a cover voting contest when they can slap on any player they want?

Beyond me..

Quote:
I don't really find Peyton Hillis and Michael Vick both being on "Mike and Mike" that suspicious. Cleveland could have easily stuffed the ballot box to get their boy into the finals. And Michael Vick is polarizing enough to get a significant amount of troll-votes. The bottom line is that a true rigged vote would have conspired to get the most attractive coverboy as the victor, and both Hillis or Vick have huge question marks. From a marketing standpoint, they are both quite risky commodities.
Thank you

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.