Home
Madden 12 News Post

Peyton Hillis is your Madden NFL 12 cover athlete.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 roadman @ 04/27/11 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
The content of a game cover does matter. Just saying.

Not taking a stab at Hillis but overall the cover content does matter across the board for ALL things.
I don't buy this at all.

I've never bought a video game because of the cover art.

# 122 NDAlum @ 04/27/11 07:02 PM
I remember buying CH2K even though jj redick was on the cover. It made me want to vomit lol

# 123 Ænima @ 04/27/11 07:03 PM
Cleveland sports fans love their Browns. I have no doubt that this was won fair and square.

Who cares? It's kind of cool. The conspiracy crap is just that... crap.

# 124 Hiro1 @ 04/27/11 07:06 PM
Some of yall are sleeping on Hillis. Vick is one of my favorite players to watch and I wish he'd been on the cover, but I love the fact that a Hard-nosed, down hill, PHYSICAL FOOTBALL PLAYER won it.

SN: Im sure youtube still works some of you guys should use it if you dont think he belongs on the Cover.

# 125 Thelorn @ 04/27/11 07:07 PM

# 126 kingkilla56 @ 04/27/11 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I don't buy this at all.

I've never bought a video game because of the cover art.
Yeah but you may have not bought a game because the cover art did nothing for you; whether you were consciously thinking it or not. We are morbid football fans so the cover wouldn't bother us any. But spanning all games, dvds, cds, movie posters and more, what ever sort of graphic ad, the content is important. Otherwise people wouldn't be studying and getting paid for the art of graphic design and advertisement.

I know in your eyes, if you want the game you will get it no matter what the cover is, like me. But if you're on the fence about it, the things on the cover or back cover art can get you. I dont think the front cover athlete should have much of an affect on purchases but it can. It most definitely does.

# 127 Armor and Sword @ 04/27/11 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papytendo
No cover curse for Vick.

Brees broke the curse last year. It's over!

And I am very happy Hillis is on the cover! Vick already had a cover.

# 128 Armor and Sword @ 04/27/11 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
That it was sir. That it was. They couldn't even get the basic rules right that year. I rented it and tore the back page out before playing the game because of the NCAA screw up I could've gotten a free copy,well $3 for the rental. I still have the page somewhere.

Mmmmm ok. Madden 2004 kicked all kinds of ***.

# 129 roadman @ 04/27/11 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Yeah but you may have not bought a game because the cover art did nothing for you; whether you were consciously thinking it or not. We are morbid football fans so the cover wouldn't bother us any. But spanning all games, dvds, cds, movie posters and more, what ever sort of graphic ad, the content is important. Otherwise people wouldn't be studying and getting paid for the art of graphic design and advertisement.

I know in your eyes, if you want the game you will get it no matter what the cover is, like me. But if you're on the fence about it, the things on the cover or back cover art can get you. I dont think the front cover athlete should have much of an affect on purchases but it can. It most definitely does.
If your mind isn't changed after reading this article, then it won't change at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/comme...e=hruby/110426

# 130 mmorg @ 04/27/11 07:53 PM
Some people care about this way too much.

Anyway, yaaaaay Peyton Hillis!

# 131 Dantecamp21 @ 04/27/11 07:59 PM
Speaking in the condition of being a professional graphic designer, I know that everybody is much more interested to see if this year's version has made any strides in terms of gameplay, animations, game modes, etc.

But to say that the cover/packaging of the game is irrelevant isn't accurate at all. Otherwise companies wouldn't spend millions on advertisement and branding of their products. And I would be jobless as well.

From a visual standpoint, I'm sure many of us here at OS wouldn't mind buying a copy of Madden 12 wrapped up in a plain dvd case with nothing to show for as long as the game was outstanding. But from a marketing standpoint, that's not the case for the average consumer. Bringing guys like Kobe, Jordan and Favre to grace a game cover is expensive. Companies doesn't like to loose money. They do it for a reason.

I don't think 2K sports is planing to sign Matt Booner for be the cover guy of NBA 2K12 anytime soon.

# 132 roadman @ 04/27/11 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantecamp21
Speaking in the condition of being a professional graphic designer, I know that everybody is much more interested to see if this year's version has made any strides in terms of gameplay, animations, game modes, etc.

But to say that the cover/packaging of the game is irrelevant isn't accurate at all. Otherwise companies wouldn't spend millions on advertisement and branding of their products. And I would be jobless as well.

From a visual standpoint, I'm sure many of us here at OS wouldn't mind buying a copy of Madden 12 wrapped up in a plain dvd case with nothing to show for as long as the game was outstanding. But from a marketing standpoint, that's not the case for the average consumer. Bringing guys like Kobe, Jordan and Favre to grace a game cover is expensive. Companies doesn't like to loose money. They do it for a reason.

I don't think 2K sports is planing to sign Matt Booner for be the cover guy of NBA 2K12 anytime soon.
I understand what you are saying, and for other products, like food and booze I would agree with that.

Madden has a strong brand name for 22yrs that is the only licensed NFL game in the world. I don't feel the avg consumer of a sport they love cares who is on the cover, the just want to rip the package open and start throwing 70yd bombs against their friends.

# 133 iAM-IncReDiBLe- @ 04/27/11 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Brees broke the curse last year. It's over!

And I am very happy Hillis is on the cover! Vick already had a cover.
Nah Brees threw 22ints last year an became the first team in history to lose to a team with a losing record in the playoffs.

# 134 Dantecamp21 @ 04/27/11 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I understand what you are saying, and for other products, like food and booze I would agree with that.

Madden has a strong brand name for 22yrs that is the only licensed NFL game in the world. I don't feel the avg consumer of a sport they love cares who is on the cover, the just want to rip the package open and start throwing 70yd bombs against their friends.
Agreed. But they'll keep pushing the envelope. They'll always try to lure more people into it. That's why they keep investing tons of money.

# 135 extremeskins04 @ 04/27/11 08:27 PM
This whole debacle gets tiresome. In no way did Hillis deserve to be on the Madden cover ahead of Vick, Rodgers or Clay Matthews for that matter. NOT BY A LONGSHOT.

If people don't want Vick on the cover because they have their own personal hate agendas that is fine (although ridiculous), but then give it to Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews, not some guy who had 1 above average season playing against teams with absolutely ludricous rush defense.

Gimme a break please, here...now.

# 136 BearClaw @ 04/27/11 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantecamp21
What are you trying to say?

# 137 PVarck31 @ 04/27/11 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
This whole debacle gets tiresome. In no way did Hillis deserve to be on the Madden cover ahead of Vick, Rodgers or Clay Matthews for that matter. NOT BY A LONGSHOT.

If people don't want Vick on the cover because they have their own personal hate agendas that is fine (although ridiculous), but then give it to Aaron Rodgers or Clay Matthews, not some guy who had 1 above average season playing against teams with absolutely ludricous rush defense.

You act like EA didn't have a fan poll and just said hey lets put Peyton Hillis on the cover. The fans had their choice and they chose Hillis.

No matter what the reasons were why they voted for Hillis, It doesn't matter because he won.

# 138 kjcheezhead @ 04/27/11 08:41 PM
Quote:

It wasn't all a hate Vick campaign, Hillis knocked Rodgers out the round before. Cleveland fans weren't scared of the curse and supported their guy more than any other fan base did.

Congrats to Hillis.

# 139 ryan36 @ 04/27/11 08:47 PM
Hey guys, the whole "Let's put Scott Norwood (or any other colossal failure of a football player) on the cover of m13" stuff needs to stop. It adds nothing the conversation and is just trolling the Browns fans. Thanks.

# 140 roadman @ 04/27/11 08:47 PM
Quote:

One break...................... coming up.

This voting was unique, NCAA style bracket.

It wasn't about who was most deserving, it became a popularity contest.

Other years, where EA picked the cover, yes, then I would agree, it was the athlete who was arguably most deserving.

The Ravens have lousy rush D???? Well, he did torch them.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.