Home
FIFA Soccer 12 News Post

OXM has posted some FIFA 12 details on their new impact engine.

Quote:
"Impact Engine swaps out the canned collision animations and injury calculations of older games for a true-blue physics system that dramatically enhances the realism of play.

It solves a lot of problems for us this year, it gives us better accuracy, better momentum, more realistic outcomes, solving a lot of situations that we just tried not to get into before," he went on.

One of the areas the Impact Engine affects is tackling. If a tackling party clips your trailing leg, you should have the momentum and balance to keep your feet - but if that player connects with your front peg, you'll go down like a sack of potatoes."

Game: FIFA Soccer 12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
FIFA Soccer 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jb12780 @ 05/04/11 09:32 PM
This is great news to hear.

# 2 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/04/11 10:59 PM
As usual FIFA team is the leader of EA sports. 2 years down the line, Madden and NCAA will get it to the same level as FIFA. History repeats itself.

FIFA always come out with something 1st, then the other sports game follow suit a year or 2 later.

# 3 Tengo Juego @ 05/04/11 11:15 PM
Sounds good. Now let me see it.

# 4 aloncho11 @ 05/04/11 11:44 PM
Oh boy

# 5 FroznYogurt @ 05/05/11 12:22 AM
I not too much of a fan of soccer, but I may but Fifa this year because I hear the game is elite.

# 6 jyoung @ 05/05/11 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
As usual FIFA team is the leader of EA sports. 2 years down the line, Madden and NCAA will get it to the same level as FIFA. History repeats itself.

FIFA always come out with something 1st, then the other sports game follow suit a year or 2 later.
I'll be surprised if Madden and NCAA Football get to this point by the end of the generation.

The focus on physics is why FIFA and NHL are EA's two best sports franchises and Madden and NCAA are lagging way behind.

# 7 stmark @ 05/05/11 02:34 AM
This a game i play all year round. Fifa 11 is great and im sure 12 will be better, i just hope the fix the press defensive Ai and we will golden.

# 8 Seahawk76 @ 05/05/11 09:41 AM
Sounds good. Hopefully this will help them fix the tackling which is the weakest part of the game, IMO.

# 9 NaturalSelected @ 05/05/11 10:01 AM
As details continue to come out, my concern for the "three year plan" on Career mode grows. Will they fix growth? Let's hope so.

I'm also desperate for a way to play with a couple friends on the same team in an easy way...the 4 year old matchmaking system is still broken for groups.

# 10 therizing02 @ 05/05/11 02:01 PM
Quote:

The FIFA and NHL series have set the standard for physics in EA Sports games.

Unfortunately for fans of FIFA there are still a number of huge warts plaguing the game and making it far from what most football fans would consider a true to life recreation:

*Player Progression is a joke.
*The unfair referee and lack of fouls is appalling.
*Injuries need a total overhaul.
*Manager Mode has barely been touched in three years and there are way too many issues to even get into.

The new "impact" system could fix the injury/foul problems, but this game has been and always will be catered towards the online players, tournament types, and Ultimate Team mode. The best mode for offline players is either a Play Now game or maybe tournament mode.

So, yes, I agree with your assessment of the physics when it comes to player movement, but the overall depth of the FIFA series has a long way to go.

# 11 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/05/11 02:12 PM
Quote:

*Player Progression is a joke.
*The unfair referee and lack of fouls is appalling.
*Injuries need a total overhaul.
*Manager Mode has barely been touched in three years and there are way too many issues to even get into.

That can be said about every EA sports game, it is a common theme. You can find all the same problems in madden, ncaa, nhl, fifa and fight night champions.

# 12 striper_43 @ 05/05/11 03:45 PM
Quote:
That can be said about every EA sports game, it is a common theme. You can find all the same problems in madden, ncaa, nhl, fifa and fight night champions.
The player progression is worse than any other EA game because their is a lack of player progression. Players don't start growing until they are about 22 or 23, and usually even then it is at a snail's pace. Some players (Messi, Fabregas, C.Ronaldo, Rooney) reach a very high level by the time they are that age. A player like Neymar will stay at his current rating (80 or 81) for a ridiculous amount of time.

If the progression is fixed, then this game could be spectacular. The manager mode, now called career mode, needs to be improved quite a bit but if the the gameplay is superb then that will be great.

# 13 ven0m43 @ 05/05/11 10:21 PM
Fifa is hands down the best game for multiplayer with you buddies

# 14 dunlopp9987 @ 05/07/11 12:34 AM
This is great news because hopefully it will fix the tackling situation and add a lot of realism into the game.

This is terrible news because they're going to devote all their time to this and won't touch player progression or career mode.

Is it really that difficult to put a team on career mode to at least do SOMETHING to it? Taking out scouting players was a terrible decision because now the only way to improve your squad is by transfers, because LORD KNOWS player progression is a joke.

Get with it, EA.

# 15 donkeydrop @ 05/07/11 10:34 AM
I don't really see how this is an improvement unless the referee is fixed. When a defender goes through my player from behind I don't care about the animation, in most situations that is a foul even if the defender makes no contact at all. To have defenders that can tackle from behind and get away with it 99% of the time, well that is just nonsense.

# 16 StormJH1 @ 05/10/11 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopp9987
This is great news because hopefully it will fix the tackling situation and add a lot of realism into the game.

This is terrible news because they're going to devote all their time to this and won't touch player progression or career mode.

Is it really that difficult to put a team on career mode to at least do SOMETHING to it? Taking out scouting players was a terrible decision because now the only way to improve your squad is by transfers, because LORD KNOWS player progression is a joke.

Get with it, EA.
That's an excellent point about scouting, and one I've harped on since day one. I have no idea if it was "realistic" to add players to your team that way, but boy was it FUN!

When FIFA 11 first came out, I hated it because of the tackling issue and all of the good stuff they gutted out of MM from FIFA 10. FIFA 10's career mode actually was a pretty good framework, it was just horribly glitch-ridden and it lacked any sort of polish or detail. FIFA 11's career mode is much better to look at, but you really are left pretty helpless trying to improve through transfers, and that player list sorting menu is a nightmare to navigate!

I did grow to like FIFA 11 over time (lots of improvements in the aerial game/overall polish), but the proposed changes to physics are pretty exciting. It's not a lot of to watch my players get absolutely murdered in a heap, and then wait as no call is made and the perpetrator comes and steals the ball from me. Also, don't think I've ever seen a red card called in possibly 100+ games.

# 17 Guffers @ 05/12/11 08:39 AM
Yeah I've only seen red cards when the last man through on goal is tackled from behind. Its very, very rare.

# 18 Whitesox @ 05/12/11 05:10 PM
I'm concerned. It's great they have something to hype, but there are a large number of outstanding issues with this game which resulted in me not even buying it this year.

# 19 Qb @ 05/19/11 10:17 AM
Something tells me the Impact engine is going to make a significant -- wait for it -- impact on how the FIFA series plays on the field.

# 20 KG @ 05/22/11 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Something tells me the Impact engine is going to make a significant -- wait for it -- impact on how the FIFA series plays on the field.
I'm not going to lie, it looks very good. I hate the impact collisions in the other game.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.