Home
Madden 12 News Post

IGN has posted details on Madden NFL 12 Superstar Mode with a Franchise Mode article coming tomorrow.

Check out some of the new Madden NFL 12 Superstar Mode screenshots, right here.

Quote:
"Practices now have a purpose because of the new experience points system. Each practice session gives you ten plays to rack up points. Using an improved version of Gameflow, Madden's computer-controlled play-calling option, you run through random plays you might see on game day. The better you perform, the more points you earn. And those points in turn are spent to improve your player. There are no silly focused sessions to improve specific abilities. It's simple and it should open up considerably more freedom in Superstar mode. As a result, Tiburon's hope is that no two Superstars will be the same.

To that end, there's more to your player than just his attributes. New this year are traits and tendencies, which you set to determine the mental aspects of your player. After all, two linebackers might have a high tackle rating, but one could always play it safe and wrap up the ball carrier while the other always wants to put a little hurt into the opponent."

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 BlueNGold @ 05/13/11 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
As long as i dont have an icon of a bulldozer under my player im good with it too.
Weapons and Player Roles were two separate things.

# 62 Jono078 @ 05/13/11 01:34 AM
Posting this in here now because apparently it's Superstar related when it's not. It's design related to modes outside of superstar also.
Quote:
Firstly, mods - please don't delete this thread, It's not intended to bash Madden but rather hopefully receive feedback by the people who made this design choice.

I've looked at the superstar mode pics and there is something putting me off..

Let's look at the pics I'm referring to;

First picture: Why is it that the "stat row" is above the player card and not below? It makes looking at the stats feel like you are looking at a bunch of numbers and is harder to line them up with their respective stat, does anyone agree?

Second picture: I don't like how the player bar moves in between players names now, I believe it should be like before a solid fixation at the top, it makes it less intuitive to look at all the players and their stats;

Lastly I want to finish with, this may actually be better when you are controlling the menus with a controller in your hand. But just looking at these pics to me it seems like a strange design choice and Id love to hear the reason they went in this direction if possible?

Did anyone else notice this, does it seem strange to anyone?

I'm not the typical user on OS here breaking down gameplay elements, I'm a presentation guy, so I notice stuff like this and it intrigues me to hear why they change design and the reason they think it's better.

Thanks.

# 63 PVarck31 @ 05/13/11 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono078
Posting this in here now because apparently it's Superstar related when it's not. It's design related to modes outside of superstar also.
I'm opening your thread back up. At first glance I thought it was specifically about the superstar menu's but I see what you mean now. My apologies.

# 64 aTTckr @ 05/13/11 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkagTrendy
Anyone else see the problem in this? It would appear that no matter how bad you start off, it still makes you the starter, practice doesn't earn you your spot but just makes you better.

This guy is a rookie who is slower than Jones, weaker than Barber and only 57 overall; yet he's at the top of the depth chart?

That is the one thing that most annoyed me with EA's superstar. If you always start even if your rating is worse than the actual starter I don't get any sense of accomplishment.

# 65 RedZoneD25 @ 05/13/11 02:01 AM
The only gripes I have are the aforementioned "immediate starter" that has been an unfortunate staple of Superstar Mode since it was introduced..that and silhouettes. I've been spoiled by My Player in NBA2K, I want a render of my player's face.

# 66 ridemooses @ 05/13/11 02:25 AM
Cool, finally made this mode relevant.

# 67 falconfansince81 @ 05/13/11 09:39 AM
the menus remind me of backbreakers menu, anyone else get that? either way its good to see them trying to revive this mode again.

# 68 kjcheezhead @ 05/13/11 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconfansince81
the menus remind me of backbreakers menu, anyone else get that? either way its good to see them trying to revive this mode again.
Looks the same as Madden 11s menus, with the exception of the stat line over the top of the player this year for some reason.

I like the superstar is getting attention. From what I can tell from the article, the mode still looks like it isn't going to stack up against NBA2ks My player. For example, I don't like the instant starter at all and I expect that to be in the actual game as that's the way it's been for years now.

# 69 falconfansince81 @ 05/13/11 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Looks the same as Madden 11s menus, with the exception of the stat line over the top of the player this year for some reason.
yeah i think its just the font that reminds me of BB. i actually liked last years interface, i don't know why they felt the need to change what worked but that seems to be a trend of sorts. really do hope they move that stat line down, and after reading more on superstar i'm actually looking forward to playing it for the first time in years.

# 70 illwill10 @ 05/13/11 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I like the superstar is getting attention. From what I can tell from the article, the mode still looks like it isn't going to stack up against NBA2ks My player. For example, I don't like the instant starter at all and I expect that to be in the actual game as that's the way it's been for years now.
I agree.
Have to wait till Monday. But it doesnt have that wow factor. Even though the interviews get repetitive, it adds depth. It does have Great Gamplay too for all positions. Good commentary helps too.

# 71 sniperhare @ 05/13/11 11:11 AM
I'd rather they differ from 2K and start the players on a level on par with NFL talent. Or at least set most physical attributes so you can't use the XP to get faster.

Well just read the article and you can edit speed and stuff. They still seem to be making the game with the goal of your player having this meteoric rise in a short time. I just always would rather see the better players start. A screenshot showed the RB starting over Jones despite having an OVR 24 points lower.

They had starting points in older versions of SS where you could determine your players starting abilities. They had them at different levels so you could play as a high OVR/stat rookie or an average rated player.

I guess I always felt that a low rated player should just hope to contribute to a team for as many years as possible, and the game should be about that time you were subbed in and got the first down the team needed.

# 72 TMJOHNS18 @ 05/13/11 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
I'd rather they differ from 2K and start the players on a level on par with NFL talent. Or at least set most physical attributes so you can't use the XP to get faster.

Well just read the article and you can edit speed and stuff. They still seem to be making the game with the goal of your player having this meteoric rise in a short time. I just always would rather see the better players start. A screenshot showed the RB starting over Jones despite having an OVR 24 points lower.

They had starting points in older versions of SS where you could determine your players starting abilities. They had them at different levels so you could play as a high OVR/stat rookie or an average rated player.

I guess I always felt that a low rated player should just hope to contribute to a team for as many years as possible, and the game should be about that time you were subbed in and got the first down the team needed.
Aside from being a QB, they should put you in for special teams and maybe after a few big plays (big returns/big tackles) you get a chance to be in a handful of plays in a game.

Say you're a HB, you get a chance at being the return man and you make a few good returns and you're rewarded with a few carries a game. You start making some good runs, picking up some good blocks, and your carries increase. Maybe even you get to a point and the starter gets injured for a game or two, and you get an increased carry load and by the end of the year you become a solid #2. The following season, you get a chance to battle for the #1 spot and if don't get it you still get experience over the season, possibly even dropping to #3 and put back on more special teams plays if your production drops.

I just want the SS to feel like you're having an impact and not just handed the starting role. Last years games, I had a QB from RTG who had a very stellar college career, who would only come in at around a 60 OVR rating (was ok with that), but you started no matter what. The only way to make it not seem super cheesy was to run the draft over and over untill he was put on a team without a real #1 QB (Cardinals for example), and even then, if we went 0-16 and I threw 0 TD's and 50 INT's, I'd still be the starter and could get traded to the Pat's or Colt's. Very, very, stupid.

# 73 da ThRONe @ 05/13/11 11:44 AM
Yeah it's great EA is taking pages from 2K, but I thought they can have improved on some things. Why not have a combine that determines your stats? They already had things like the forty and bench pressing they could have expanded on that. Just starting at an arbitrary number and getting random points to improve from random none related drills is what My Player is doing wrong.

# 74 poppin_fresh @ 05/13/11 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
Aside from being a QB, they should put you in for special teams and maybe after a few big plays (big returns/big tackles) you get a chance to be in a handful of plays in a game.
I think this would be a great idea, especially if you choose to be an undrafted free agent! It would feel so cool and rewarding to have to work your way up from say special teams or the practice squad before you can earn a bigger role on offense or defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
Say you're a HB, you get a chance at being the return man and you make a few good returns and you're rewarded with a few carries a game. You start making some good runs, picking up some good blocks, and your carries increase. Maybe even you get to a point and the starter gets injured for a game or two, and you get an increased carry load and by the end of the year you become a solid #2. The following season, you get a chance to battle for the #1 spot and if don't get it you still get experience over the season, possibly even dropping to #3 and put back on more special teams plays if your production drops.

I just want the SS to feel like you're having an impact and not just handed the starting role. Last years games, I had a QB from RTG who had a very stellar college career, who would only come in at around a 60 OVR rating (was ok with that), but you started no matter what. The only way to make it not seem super cheesy was to run the draft over and over untill he was put on a team without a real #1 QB (Cardinals for example), and even then, if we went 0-16 and I threw 0 TD's and 50 INT's, I'd still be the starter and could get traded to the Pat's or Colt's. Very, very, stupid.
Do you think it would be possible for the guys to make your SS become a bust? I remember making SS's in the past and I don't remember them ever flaming out of the league. I would hate for my person to flame out, but I think it would add a touch of realism and make the game more enjoyable in a way. Imagine being drafted as a teams number 1 DE/OLB, turn out to be a huge bust (Vernon Gholston lol?) and then cut/traded for next to nothing. In the NFL, not every player that came into the league was an immediate star. Look at guys like James Harrison!

# 75 TrapStar215 @ 05/13/11 12:52 PM
This is how I see it.

Since they have the option to be an undrafted free agent, you should HAVE to work.

If you were a late round draft pick or undrafted, when training camp rolls around, the game should make you bust your *** to make the team.

Then in preseason, every game you should get a certain amount of plays and not automatically the entire half to prove yourself.

And then go from Special Teams and up the Depth Chart.

# 76 sniperhare @ 05/13/11 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapStar215
This is how I see it.

Since they have the option to be an undrafted free agent, you should HAVE to work.

If you were a late round draft pick or undrafted, when training camp rolls around, the game should make you bust your *** to make the team.

Then in preseason, every game you should get a certain amount of plays and not automatically the entire half to prove yourself.

And then go from Special Teams and up the Depth Chart.

Right you'd need to play for your spot on your team or to impress someone else around the league. It would be cool if the game would sim until a player was injured, and you could then sign on with a team midseason.

# 77 mestevo @ 05/13/11 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
As long as i dont have an icon of a bulldozer under my player im good with it too.
I'd actually like to hit a button and see these. Basically read the defense/offense, use them to gauge matchups, audible or switch the run to go away from the hard hitting LB, or adjust my reads depending on what side of the field a star corner is on or that a star safety is shading towards.

Thought they were done seeing them all the time, but would like it if they were somehow back, just not persistant.

# 78 AnArtofWar @ 05/13/11 06:06 PM
I'd be amazed if anyone else didn't mention this...but man...once again as a 60 ovr rookie you are just automatically starting :/. Guess I will just wait til next year anyways, I doubt they could match 2k by this point. But if they fix the rookie having to actually do well to get 1st string...and they allow sliders and have the same (hopefully good) logic that franchise should have...I'll be fine.

# 79 2krunk4u @ 05/13/11 06:18 PM
I'm almost positive you'll start out higher rated if you import your RTG player into Madden.

In previous versions they just have you drafted in round 3 (compensatory selection I believe).

It would be ridiculous for them to have you rated at 60 OVR after being a 4 time Heisman Winner or such. Or Maybe they'll rate you at 60 but you'll be given more points to work with in shaping your player. Who knows.

All in all, I love RTG and Madden's old Superstar Modes on last gen used to be very fun. So I'm hoping Superstar Mode steps its game up. It's looking like it's headed in the right direction though.

# 80 SevenTwentyNine @ 05/14/11 12:35 AM
I'm sorry if I missed this, but do you get skill points from playing games or just practice?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.