Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

Alex Howell has championship rings and he brings his own experiences into NCAA Football 12's Road to Glory mode. Check out the article over at Kotaku, via Owen Good.

Quote:
"Alex Howell is the first dedicated designer assigned to NCAA Football's "Road to Glory" career mode, introduced in 2005 and fairly neglected for the past few years. Joining EA Sports less than a year ago, Howell's only job is to breathe new life into one of sports gaming's first singleplayer career modes."

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 poopoop @ 05/14/11 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
The one thing I want to see in BAP modes is for those games to be geared more around careers and less around individual seasons. In most of the BAP modes I play players progress to quickly.

Another thing you shouldn't progress so much physically. You should already have most of the physical tools progress should be more mental then physical. For instance if you are a WR your hands shouldn't go from 58 to 98 under any circumstances. What I would like to see are things like AWR or Route running increase drastically while ratings like Speed and catching increases only by 5-10 points max.
This is my main problem with these modes. They trip over themselves allowing you to progress and get playing time. The whole thing just turns into players with jacked up attributes putting up ridiculous numbers.

The only issue with improving attributes like awareness or route running is that they're basically irrelevant when you're the one controlling the player.

# 22 JoBo513 @ 05/14/11 08:53 PM
Good article. I like the idea of bringing RPG elements into RTG. I haven't played RTG on this gen at all but I am looking forward to playing it this time around.

# 23 illwill10 @ 05/14/11 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
The one thing I want to see in BAP modes is for those games to be geared more around careers and less around individual seasons. In most of the BAP modes I play players progress to quickly.

Another thing you shouldn't progress so much physically. You should already have most of the physical tools progress should be more mental then physical. For instance if you are a WR your hands shouldn't go from 58 to 98 under any circumstances. What I would like to see are things like AWR or Route running increase drastically while ratings like Speed and catching increases only by 5-10 points max.
I think it progresses quickly because they might feel mostly casual fans would play those modes. Most casual fans wouldnt want to start off as a 39 ovr player like in NBA 2k. I liked it because you didnt really get a comfortable playing style until mid season.
I agree you dont see a player go from 85 speed to 99. Non physical ratings like Carrying should see big improvement. THey should have realistic caps for positions. Like a elite Speed WR/DB/HB should start around 90.

# 24 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/14/11 09:01 PM
IMO they should have dedicated person to every aspect of the game.

Person who sole purpose was QB scrambling and throwing mechanics.

Person in charge of offensive and defensive line interaction.

Person in charge of special teams.

Person in charge of WR/DB interaction

Person in charge of RBs ball carrier vision and running style

Person in charge of online play

Person in charge of dynasty mode

Person in charge of equipment

Person in charge of cpu AI

# 25 Banks1212 @ 05/14/11 09:10 PM
I feel like this mode needs story lines and player types. You need to be able to choose if you want to be the 5 star stud recruit wanted by every school in America. Or a 3 star under the radar guy who only gets offers from the teams in his area. Or maybe you want to be the preferred walk-on that works his way onto the team and plays as an upperclassmen with hard work. And most of all they need a way to have schools actually recruit you. That would be the most fun for me, to pick between a smaller school that was showering you with love or the big time program that you have always dreamed of going to. Also add High School All-American games.

# 26 bkrich83 @ 05/14/11 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimulationFootball
what good is RTG if ratings in the game dont matter, db backpedaling in hyper speedand speed bursts. i will be saving my $65 until ea makes a real simulation football game. im tired of ea and their bull.
Other than using it as yet another mindless EA rant, what does this have to do with the subject?

# 27 da ThRONe @ 05/14/11 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
This is my main problem with these modes. They trip over themselves allowing you to progress and get playing time. The whole thing just turns into players with jacked up attributes putting up ridiculous numbers.

The only issue with improving attributes like awareness or route running is that they're basically irrelevant when you're the one controlling the player.
This is why in a thread I started called "3 keys to a more organic gameplay" I stressed rating specific moves. If the game had 3-7 rating specific moves at every position things like route running would impact even users. Thus making it worth improving.

# 28 goalieump413 @ 05/14/11 10:04 PM
As a former RTG/Superstar mode player, I'm really encouraged to read that EA is investing resources into revamping this mode. It's been too long.

For those of you who believe that scrapping this mode is okay, please remember that EA has taken more heat over the years from things that have been "removed" from their games and then "all new..." in a future release. So I think EA has learned their lesson that "scrapping" doesn't help sell their products.

Also, not to be argumentative, but for anyone who thinks RTG fans should be ignored just because you think EA should spend their resources in "better" places, now you know how I feel when they spent all their time chasing online dynasty players just to sell more copies of the game. Basically, try playing the new RTG, and if you hate it, fine. Otherwise, too bad...

For the rest of us who welcome these improvements with open arms, I'm eager to get the details on May 23rd. So far, it appears that both NCAA and Madden have been recalibrated towards offline play.

# 29 illwill10 @ 05/14/11 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413
For those of you who believe that scrapping this mode is okay, please remember that EA has taken more heat over the years from things that have been "removed" from their games and then "all new..." in a future release. So I think EA has learned their lesson that "scrapping" doesn't help sell their products.

Also, not to be argumentative, but for anyone who thinks RTG fans should be ignored just because you think EA should spend their resources in "better" places, now you know how I feel when they spent all their time chasing online dynasty players just to sell more copies of the game. Basically, try playing the new RTG, and if you hate it, fine. Otherwise, too bad...

For the rest of us who welcome these improvements with open arms, I'm eager to get the details on May 23rd. So far, it appears that both NCAA and Madden have been recalibrated towards offline play.
I 100% agree.
If you look at NBA 2k, MLB the Show, Fifa, NHL(Havent played it), they are good games and you dont hear people say "scrap it, it sucks, use resources for other features). IF they were to take it out, they would be only sports game without it. If you dont like it, than fine. I dont like playing Online at all and dont plan on starting.
The problem was before it was never tooken serious at all. They probably had a person work on it the first year and just left it. NOw it seems to be taken seriously.
I am glad that both Madden and NCAA are improving Offline modes.

# 30 etched Chaos @ 05/14/11 10:18 PM
I'm going to buy NCAA for the first time and purely because of RTG, if they scrapped RTG they'd lose me as a customer permanently. But by having it they've earned themselves a new customer that might never have given the game a look without it.

# 31 TDenverFan @ 05/14/11 10:25 PM
Plus, there are a ton of Casual Gamers that only play RTG, and not Dynasty. OSers often forget we're the minority.

# 32 bkrich83 @ 05/14/11 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieump413

. Basically, try playing the new RTG, and if you hate it, fine. Otherwise, too bad...
What does this even mean?

# 33 illwill10 @ 05/14/11 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
Plus, there are a ton of Casual Gamers that only play RTG, and not Dynasty. OSers often forget we're the minority.
I am not going to lie, I used to fall under that category up till a few years ago. I didnt even think about playing about Dynasty.
I know play Dynasty 60% and RTG 40% and nothing else. I usually play RTG more in the beginning and Dynasty later. I feel that Dynasty should be the main priority. But RTG should also see changes. I like a good 1-2 punch when it comes to modes. Custom Playbooks will boost my Dynasty length. IF Coaching Carousel is added I will easily play over 10 seasons.

# 34 goalieump413 @ 05/14/11 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
I'm going to buy NCAA for the first time and purely because of RTG, if they scrapped RTG they'd lose me as a customer permanently. But by having it they've earned themselves a new customer that might never have given the game a look without it.
And I think this is a main driving influence in their decision to rebuild RTG. The other major sports titles that have all been solid sellers have introduced winning individual based game modes to their titles, which has had a positive impact on sales.

Think about it: Playing online because of widespread broadband helped drive sales of games like NCAA and Madden over the past couple of years, and now that that game option has been established, it's on to the next hill to climb.

# 35 jagsrock95 @ 05/15/11 03:39 AM
I don't understand how people can be so close minded when it comes to game modes. seriously RTG is a fun mode an a great alternative to playing online. This is coming from a guy who spent most of his time early on with the game Online. Once I had my fill of that I moved on to RTG and it gave the game a bit of new life, if they can improve on this mode it can only mean the game is going to be more well rounded, offer a better experience and provide us more options as players how could that ever be a bad thing? I for one never really touched the Online Dynasty mode but that doesn't mean it should be scrapped. I completely understand it's a mode that many others enjoy and who knows maybe eventually I'll get around to playin it and like it. More options the better in my opinion. you can say what you want about how they should focus on gameplay and scrap "extra" modes but even a game with great gameplay will get stale if there are only a couple game modes available.

# 36 prowler @ 05/15/11 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
I'll just leave this here...

# 37 NDFan1029 @ 05/15/11 05:10 AM
This is really cool. I think I will actually give RTG mode some serious playing time this year.

# 38 swisshusker @ 05/15/11 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks1212
I feel like this mode needs story lines and player types. You need to be able to choose if you want to be the 5 star stud recruit wanted by every school in America. Or a 3 star under the radar guy who only gets offers from the teams in his area. Or maybe you want to be the preferred walk-on that works his way onto the team and plays as an upperclassmen with hard work. And most of all they need a way to have schools actually recruit you. That would be the most fun for me, to pick between a smaller school that was showering you with love or the big time program that you have always dreamed of going to. Also add High School All-American games.
I absolutely agree with you. These are some ideas which would add to the whole experience. Especially the part about being recruited in High School (even if it's just during the playoffs).

# 39 Jr. @ 05/15/11 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
I'll just leave this here...

I'm guessing that people who follow a videogame on facebook aren't casual fans of that game.. hence, that poll doesn't represent the interest of casual gamers, the majority of those who play the NCAA games

# 40 da ThRONe @ 05/15/11 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
I'm guessing that people who follow a videogame on facebook aren't casual fans of that game.. hence, that poll doesn't represent the interest of casual gamers, the majority of those who play the NCAA games
As bad as RTG is I'm truly surprised it's second. If anything that's a huge victory and confirms RTG should be a priority.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.