Home
Madden 12 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson usually gets the scoop when it comes to Madden ratings, and this year is no different. He spoke with Madden "ratings guru" Donny Moore, and Donny revealed that cornerback Patrick Peterson, the former LSU great and Arizona Cardinals first-round pick, is the top-rated rookie in Madden NFL 12.

Quote:
But I'm not the only one high on Peterson, as "Madden NFL 12" ratings guru Donny Moore has informed me that Arizona's electrifying corner will be the highest-rated rookie in the game with an 82 overall, including 97 speed, 96 agility, 93 acceleration, 93 jumping, 77 catching (highest for any rookie CB), and 91 return. In terms of his defensive skill set, Peterson clocks in with 89 man coverage, 82 zone coverage, and 90 press.

Those are some beastly ratings to say the least. Speed has usually been the most important attribute in previous Madden games, so Peterson could end up being a terror in coverage and in the return game.

With the NFL lockout in effect, these ratings hold a little more weight as well. While most of the time, one could say these ratings will change after the first regular season game takes place, ratings may not need to be updated on a week-to-week basis this year if there is no season.

Nevertheless, do you all think the ratings are justified, or should another rookie be number one?

Oh, and by the way, this reveal also ties in nicely with our featured article today talking about some of the most dominant rookies from this generation of Madden games.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Brandwin @ 05/20/11 10:29 AM
It's nice to see the highest rated rookie will be an 82.

# 22 Dbrentonbuck @ 05/20/11 11:24 AM
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I don't think Peterson should be the highest rated rookie. I don't know who should be, but I don't think it is Peterson. Head to Head, Julio Jones was better than Peterson. While Peterson didn't cover Jones on every single play, they were head to head the majority of the time. Jones definitely burned Peterson on more than one occasion.

2010: LSU 24, Alabama 21 fficeffice" />>>
Jones: 10 catches for 89 yards, 1 TD >>
Peterson: 6 tackles, 3 pass breakups>>

> >
2009: Alabama 24, LSU 15 >>
Jones: 4 catches for 102 yards, 1 TD >>
Peterson: 3 tackles, 3 pass breakups>>
> >
2008: Alabama 27, LSU 21 >>
Jones: 7 catches for 128 yards >>
Peterson: 4 tackles, 1 interception>>

I am not saying that Jones should be the top rated rookie. I am saying that Jones was as good if not better than Peterson head to head so Peterson should not be the top rated rookie.

This was just last November when Jones had 10 catches and a TD against Peterson. That doesn't sound like a shut down corner to me.

# 23 LBzrule @ 05/20/11 01:25 PM
I think an 82 is a perfect rating for him. He's the top rated rookie that is expected to come in and make an impact right away. It's about projection and even as a rookie they are projecting him to make a bigger impact at the position than guys like Fabian Washington. I think that is right especially considering what an 82 overall means in Madden/NCAA. He could turn out to be a bust (very doubtful), but his measurables and athleticism alone forces them to project him to be better than a lot of guys already in the league. I just hope they regarded Jimmy Smith with at least a 77/78 overall with similar man/zone coverage/bump, 95 speed, 92 agility, 91 accel. Smith is another example. The Ravens best rated CB in 2011 was Foxworth who did not play because of an ACL injury. Out of the gate he was an 82. I think on the final roster he was a 82.

The Ravens drafted Smith and told him he would be covering the #1 for other teams out of the gate. Now don't you think, as far as Madden goes, when the defensive coordinator in real life says Smith will be covering #1 not Foxworth, don't you think that you have to rate that rookie better than the best CB they have on the team the previous year? He may not have a higher overall, but he has to be better than Foxworth in several other areas, whether he has played an NFL down or not. OK his Awareness and Play Recognition may not be where Foxworth's is due to NFL Experience, which is only a 78 and 79 respectively, but his Man coverage, Zone Coverage, Press, Speed, Agility, Strength, Accel, Jump have to be better (these are based on projection and measureables, not experience). That's what the coordinator is indicating when he says, you will be covering the #1 WR for other teams day 1.

With that said, I don't have a problem with PP7's rating at all looking at the CB's on the final roster for the Cards from last season. DRC ended with an 87 Ovr and their #2 CB Toler was a 74 overall. What is an 82 overall saying for this team? It's saying that PP7 is not where DRC is, but he's expected to be the #2 CB out of the gate, so he has to be rated higher than Toler. He does not have DRC's NFL Experience, but he does have his measureables and is more physically gifted. What does an 82 overall mean in Madden as a whole? Probably not much.

So what do you do? I just think an entire body of sources should come together to rate players. You have their physical gifts; you have their projected impact on the league as a whole, but then you have their projected impact on a team, what the players on the team at that position were rated previously?

# 24 LBzrule @ 05/20/11 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
I can't see EA using that logic too much. For example, the Bears drafted a safety YET AGAIN in Chris Conte. Now, Angelo said he may be the first TRUE free safety, whatever THAT means, since John Lynch. (I thought a FS was just the safety who could cover, personally, but that's me). I can't see EA inflating Conte's ratings because of those comments.
Yeah but is he going to start day 1 for the Bears or is he competing? That's the difference between players like PP7, Jimmy Smith, both who have been given the drivers seat already and say Conte who I'm not sure he will start. If he does I think you have to look at the current safety on the roster and if Conte beats him out, you either should lower that Safety or you give Conte the same overall as him.

# 25 Bengals28 @ 05/20/11 03:50 PM
AJ Green should be the next highest rated rookie.

# 26 ps2sportgamer @ 05/20/11 04:09 PM
What was Ted Ginn Jr's. speed rating in Madden last year? I'm pretty sure it dipped below 97 There's no way Peterson is faster than that guy...

# 27 sniperhare @ 05/20/11 04:36 PM
I want 99's to mean all time great, best at the position. Not who is currently the best.

Few positions can come in and play at a high level as a rookie. RB's and to a lesser extent DB's and DT's can contribute as rookies, some WR's can but most need time to adjust to the coverage of NFL defenses.

It would be nice to see more players have the "sophomore slump" especially CB's and QB's. Where teams get game film on them and can see their weaknesses and what they bite on or how they can read a defense.

Reggie Nelson looked good for the Jaguars as a rookie but once the teams saw he was frequently out of position and couldn't tackle they started exploiting him.

# 28 WFColonel56 @ 05/20/11 05:21 PM
overalls dont matter to me it is the specific ratings that matter

PP7 got a 97 spd rating and that makes me think. Is it because of his 40 time? or is it because of how he played?

First and foremost if it is because of 40 time than Julio Jones needs a 95 spd based on 40 time (it matches up with other WRs who ran the same time)...

If it is because of how he looked when he played I can remember other WRs getting behind him, thus not showing 97 spd. If PP7 was 95 spd i would have no problem but once u hit 97 spd there should be nobody (figuratively) beating u in a footrace down the field

As for 89 man coverage that is a slippery slope man, 86 man is something im ok with but that still is dangerous to give a DB b4 he even reaches training camp. I have seen on espn3 quite a few times where WRs have beaten him but the QB couldnt deliver the ball. if a CB comes in MADDEN as a ROOKIE with 89 man coverage that means that nobody (figuratively) in college can beat you. And thats not the case with PP from GAME FILM that is on espn 3.

And last but not least 90 press. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!
as a rookie he is in the top tier of CBs in the league press wise without even playing a game..Thats all i need to say about that in that regard.
ps: Julio Jones (yes i knw im name dropping) beat PPs press pretty decently, although there was 1 time in the 10 game where PP messed Jones up lol. But Jones won the majority of those press battles so if his beat press isnt at least 90 then theres a problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------

But as I said the overalls dont matter to me, i just want the specific ratings to be fair and accurate.

Again let me bring Julio Jones in this and compare him to AJ Green
IDK who is rated higher in overall as long as the key ratings reflect who they are as a player

ACC- Green bests Jones

Top spd- Jones is faster

Agility- Green is shiftier than Jones

Jumping- Jones bests Green

(and no im not intentionally doing opposites each time lol)

Route running- Greens routes are crisper

Catching- Green has better hands (although Jones did have a
broken hand and that needs to be factored in, just dont know how)

Spac catch- equal

catch in traffic- Green

Blocking- Jones trumps Green

Juke- Green barely

Stiff ARM- Julio should come in 90 in this lol, best stiffarm in the nation

spin- who knows, but leaning towards green because of shiftiness

Truck- Jones by far, multiple occasions of him dragging entire defenses, notably LSU..lol

Carry- Equal

STR- Jones

Awareness- Green slightly

Stamina- Dont know

Injury- Green should have better

Toughness- Jones, he was injured alot and played though them

did I miss anything?

But basically my point is to make the player feel like themselves. Green is more technical and jones is more the bruiser. Dont just rate them high because of where they were drafted or because of the NAME. I want whoever to play like they really do. I shouldnt be able to truck defenders with green. At the same time Julio should have a few drops. Jones should be a hand full in the open field because he will punish the defender and break tackles. Green should be a hand full in the open field because he is shifty and has good moves

Now with CBs it is a lil different, You just have to keep in perspective that they havent proven themselves yet as fas as coverage skills. But hit power, catching, jump, and speed is stuff they is concrete. Just make sure you translate it correctly and dont inflate because of the name

# 29 jeremym480 @ 05/20/11 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I don't think Peterson should be the highest rated rookie. I don't know who should be, but I don't think it is Peterson. Head to Head, Julio Jones was better than Peterson. While Peterson didn't cover Jones on every single play, they were head to head the majority of the time. Jones definitely burned Peterson on more than one occasion.

2010: LSU 24, Alabama 21 fficeffice" />>>
Jones: 10 catches for 89 yards, 1 TD >>
Peterson: 6 tackles, 3 pass breakups>>
> >
2009: Alabama 24, LSU 15 >>
Jones: 4 catches for 102 yards, 1 TD >>
Peterson: 3 tackles, 3 pass breakups>>
> >
2008: Alabama 27, LSU 21 >>
Jones: 7 catches for 128 yards >>
Peterson: 4 tackles, 1 interception>>

I am not saying that Jones should be the top rated rookie. I am saying that Jones was as good if not better than Peterson head to head so Peterson should not be the top rated rookie.

This was just last November when Jones had 10 catches and a TD against Peterson. That doesn't sound like a shut down corner to me.
As an admitted Bama homer, who watched everyone of Julios' snaps and most of Petersons' I can honestly say, that PP7 deserves the higher rating. Probably only by 3 or 4 points though.

# 30 WFColonel56 @ 05/20/11 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s38s38s
Ok, ok. But has anyone thought about how the "Dynamic Player" performance will affect these ratings? I want to say I remember reading about a "consistency" rating...not %100.

In the end should be interesting to see how these things play out. ANyone know where all the rookie ratings are?
havent been released

# 31 Dbrentonbuck @ 05/20/11 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
Even Darrelle Revis got burned by Randy Moss. Not an indictment of Peterson's coverage skills, but more of the skill of Jones.
But that is my point. I am not saying Peterson is bad. He is obviously the best cb in the draft, but what I am saying is that if you were to rate players so that in a typical game of Madden, if a CB and a WR went head to head 3 times and the results were

WR - 21 catches 219 yards 2 TDfficeffice" />>>
CB - 6 break ups, 1 INT
>>
I would think these guys would be rated equal or the WR would be slightly better than the CB. I am not knocking Peterson in any way other than saying he shouldn't be the highest rated rookie because he was not clearly better than other rookies in the same class head to head.

# 32 Dbrentonbuck @ 05/20/11 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56

PP7 got a 97 spd rating and that makes me think. Is it because of his 40 time? or is it because of how he played?

First and foremost if it is because of 40 time than Julio Jones needs a 95 spd based on 40 time (it matches up with other WRs who ran the same time)...

If it is because of how he looked when he played I can remember other WRs getting behind him, thus not showing 97 spd. If PP7 was 95 spd i would have no problem but once u hit 97 spd there should be nobody (figuratively) beating u in a footrace down the field

As for 89 man coverage that is a slippery slope man, 86 man is something im ok with but that still is dangerous to give a DB b4 he even reaches training camp. I have seen on espn3 quite a few times where WRs have beaten him but the QB couldnt deliver the ball. if a CB comes in MADDEN as a ROOKIE with 89 man coverage that means that nobody (figuratively) in college can beat you. And thats not the case with PP from GAME FILM that is on espn 3.

as a rookie he is in the top tier of CBs in the league press wise without even playing a game..Thats all i need to say about that in that regard.
ps: Julio Jones (yes i knw im name dropping) beat PPs press pretty decently, although there was 1 time in the 10 game where PP messed Jones up lol. But Jones won the majority of those press battles so if his beat press isnt at least 90 then theres a problem.

But as I said the overalls dont matter to me, i just want the specific ratings to be fair and accurate.

IDK who is rated higher in overall as long as the key ratings reflect who they are as a player

ACC- Green bests Jones

Top spd- Jones is faster

Spac catch- equal

catch in traffic- Green

Juke- Green barely

Truck- Jones by far, multiple occasions of him dragging entire defenses, notably LSU..lol

Carry- Equal

STR- Jones

Stamina- Dont know

did I miss anything?

But basically my point is to make the player feel like themselves. Green is more technical and jones is more the bruiser. Dont just rate them high because of where they were drafted or because of the NAME. I want whoever to play like they really do. I shouldnt be able to truck defenders with green. At the same time Julio should have a few drops. Jones should be a hand full in the open field because he will punish the defender and break tackles. Green should be a hand full in the open field because he is shifty and has good moves

Now with CBs it is a lil different, You just have to keep in perspective that they havent proven themselves yet as fas as coverage skills. But hit power, catching, jump, and speed is stuff they is concrete. Just make sure you translate it correctly and dont inflate because of the name
This is exactly what I mean. I am not saying Jones should be the highest rated rookie. I am saying no way Peterson deserves to be. He was never able to take Jones out of a game. Jones averaged 7 catches a game against Peterson. So if his press rating is 90 then Jone's release rating should be 95. If his man coverage is 89 then what does that say about Jones? The point is, if you based Jones ratings off of Peterson's ratings, Jones would be at least an 85. I don't think Jones should be rated that high, so that tells me Peterson's ratings are screwy.

# 33 Tengo Juego @ 05/21/11 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrentonbuck
This is exactly what I mean. I am not saying Jones should be the highest rated rookie. I am saying no way Peterson deserves to be. He was never able to take Jones out of a game. Jones averaged 7 catches a game against Peterson. So if his press rating is 90 then Jone's release rating should be 95. If his man coverage is 89 then what does that say about Jones? The point is, if you based Jones ratings off of Peterson's ratings, Jones would be at least an 85. I don't think Jones should be rated that high, so that tells me Peterson's ratings are screwy.
Grabbing Julio's statistics vs LSU is not going to highlight an accurate stat for "Julio vs Peterson" as he wasn't always matched up with him, in the '08 and '09 games. But the 2010 match-up definitely was PP7 vs JJ8. And it's not as dominated by Julio as you and WFColonel seem to think.

2008 was their the first match-up, both were Freshman, and the stat line read:
2008: Alabama 27, LSU 21
Jones: 7 catches for 128 yards
Peterson: 4 tackles, 1 interception

2009 was a little different
2009: Alabama 24, LSU 15
Jones: 4 catches for 102 yards, 1 TD(The TD was a 73 yard screen pass that PP7 was not matched up with Julio for)
Peterson: 3 tackles, 3 pass breakups

The announcer actually points out that Julio is matched up against a safety.

They're both freaking stud athletes. There's no arguing that they should both be rated highly, physically. Hell, for all we know Julio is an 81OVR. Their position specific ratings are going to be subjective in discussion, though.

# 34 DGMikeBarker @ 05/21/11 10:23 PM
Man Coverage is way too high for a unproven rookie. Also, I know he's basically the largest cornerback ever, but he never pressed well in college; better off coverage.

# 35 Bengals28 @ 05/22/11 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56

ACC- Green bests Jones

Top spd- Jones is faster

Spac catch- equal

catch in traffic- Green

Juke- Green barely

Carry- Equal

STR- Jones

Stamina- Dont know

did I miss anything?

Most of this is pretty good but AJ Green is definitely better in the spect. catch category. And Jones might have ran a better 40 time but Green plays faster than him as well.

# 36 WFColonel56 @ 05/22/11 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals28
Most of this is pretty good but AJ Green is definitely better in the spect. catch category. And Jones might have ran a better 40 time but Green plays faster than him as well.
After the draft i really decided to take a look into both WRs for a few reasons

1. JJ went to my falcons..lol
2. I have been following both since HS
3. They have been linked together since hs

So i took a look at every game available on espn3 and what I saw was that Greens burst is better but Jones top speed is faster, not bay a whole lot, but still faster. Greens quick accel makes him seem faster sice he is always executing small cuts and jukes in open space and his burst out of them is insane imo. But at top speed i still see JJ faster.

But spac catch green may have tipped the scale from his insane 1 hander

But jones does have 1 of his own

# 37 Dbrentonbuck @ 05/22/11 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
Grabbing Julio's statistics vs LSU is not going to highlight an accurate stat for "Julio vs Peterson" as he wasn't always matched up with him, in the '08 and '09 games. But the 2010 match-up definitely was PP7 vs JJ8. And it's not as dominated by Julio as you and WFColonel seem to think.

2008 was their the first match-up, both were Freshman, and the stat line read:
2008: Alabama 27, LSU 21
Jones: 7 catches for 128 yards
Peterson: 4 tackles, 1 interception

2009 was a little different
2009: Alabama 24, LSU 15
Jones: 4 catches for 102 yards, 1 TD(The TD was a 73 yard screen pass that PP7 was not matched up with Julio for)
Peterson: 3 tackles, 3 pass breakups

The announcer actually points out that Julio is matched up against a safety.

They're both freaking stud athletes. There's no arguing that they should both be rated highly, physically. Hell, for all we know Julio is an 81OVR. Their position specific ratings are going to be subjective in discussion, though.
I saw all three of those games and my point was not that Jones dominated Peterson (but I do think he got the best in all three games). My point was that Peterson didn't dominate Jones. My point is that if Peterson is an 89 man coverage and a 90 press rating in the NFL then you would need to rate Jones in such a way that reflects the fact that he head to head he beat Peterson more times than Peterson beat him. It was just last November (6 month ago) that Jones caught 10 passes for 89 yards and a touchdown mostly against Peterson. I am not saying Jones should be rated higher. I am saying Peterson is not an 89 man and 90 press. That is crazy. Peterson should not be the highest rated rookie. He was good in college, but he didn't dominate everyone. Good thing I can change my ratings

Also, while I agree the screen pass TD was not on PP, the touchdown last year was Jones Vs. Peterson head to head. Watch this starting about 11:40
http://

# 38 Tengo Juego @ 05/22/11 02:34 PM
I just posted the same thing, the 2010 game. Not sure why you're showing me, what I just showed you. Your definition of "beat" is questionable. Allowing a catch doesn't necessarily mean a player was "beat." Also, you make a weak point to say, "Peterson should not be rated highly" just because of 3 games against Julio Jones. Julio is no slouch. We're talking about, arguably, the best WR in this years draft. You think Charles Woodson doesn't struggle with Calvin Johnson? Or Revis with Moss or Marshall?

Peterson's position specific ratings are set to an 'above average' bar. Nothing that is too high. Not to mention, we don't know exactly how ratings can swing with progression, and DPP*.

# 39 EHS_25 @ 05/23/11 12:15 PM
Von Miller should be the next highest rated rookie. He is freak.. AJ Green should be higher than Julio, because julio has very inconsistent hands, and AJ is a better, more athletic receiver.

# 40 WFColonel56 @ 05/23/11 02:42 PM
aj prob should be the higher rated player of the two as far as WR category (route running, hands, etc). And yes he is the more gifted WR. But is he the more gifted player?
When u bring in the blocking aspect, the strength, the break tackle ability you could make arguments on Julio being higher.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.