Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game Informer posted a story today detailing all of the changes to NCAA Football 12's biggest modes. However, it appears the outlet may have jumped the gun when it comes to revealing the Road to Glory details because they were removed shortly after publication -- of course, we will attach those RTG details at the bottom of the story since OS user illwill10 saved the info.

Most of the info about Dynasty mode was revealed by IGN on Friday, so even the video Game Informer posted does not provide much new info on this front, but it's still another chance to listen to the smooth-sounding Kirk Herbstreit -- he's so dreamy. In the video, you can see the implementation of custom conferences, the Coaching Carousel and creating a coach.

Beyond the video, one new aspect that we previously did not know about Dynasty mode is the real-world cost of some of the "premium" features included with the Online Dynasty mode.

Online Dynasty Mode
  • Commish can advance the week from the web – but only if you pay a one-time fee of $2.99 or 240 Microsoft Points
  • You can super-sim your games versus the CPU on the web -- including calling plays, modifying your depth chart, and more. You can also pause the game at any time, sim forward a quarter, etc. Again, however, this will cost you a one-time fee of $2.99 or 240 Microsoft Points.
  • Both of the above browser features can be bought in one Commissioner Pack for $6.99/560 MP, and the pack also includes the ability to be commish to up to five dynasties.

Some people will obviously be upset about these micro-transactions, especially because they are web-only features, but it's really up to consumers to decide whether or not these things are worth their money. Last year, folks had to pay extra if they wanted to run more than one online dynasty, and that cost is still here, but it's being grouped in with a bunch of other "premium" features that can be purchased in the "Commissioner Pack" for $6.99. It is also worth noting that it cost $14.99 to commish five online dynasties in NCAA Football 11, while this year the cost is considerably less.

The other interesting part of this story is how the Road to Glory mode will seemingly be devoid of ways to make your way through it in a quicker fashion via micro-transactions.

Road to Glory Mode
  • XP you earn during your college career is spent on item packs in the Upgrade Store. These packs are built around groups of attributes for specific types of players. For example, the scat back pack boosts your acceleration and juke ability
  • There are 600 item packs total, and they’ll be six different ones available each week. Rarity, cost, and duration vary, but they will all be based around your position
  • Upgrade Store items cannot be bought via micro-transactions

Of course, there could be other micro-transactions we have just not heard about yet for RTG, but for the time being, this type of design decision flies in the face of previous EA Sports efforts where you could buy your way to being the best if you did not want to spend the time to build up your character on your own.

Lastly, as promised, here is the full list of Road to Glory details that were originally in the Game Informer story:

This year's [Road to Glory] mode is designed by former Auburn running back Alex Howell. He says his aim is to "create as much of my high school and college experience that I could through Road to Glory."

High School
  • Explores your high school years more in depth, so you'll play a full senior season and gain recruiting points that are based on your stats.
  • After each game you'll pick three local schools of varying prestige that are interested in you
  • Your recruiting board shows which schools you've picked and how far you are to earning a scholarship for each one. You can walk on to any school, but if you have a scholarship, you'll be able to transfer your recruiting points into XP for college
  • You'll play and be recruited on both sides of the ball
  • You can edit your HS senior season from seven to eleven games, and can import online browser-built Team Builder teams as your opponents. This lets you recreate your real-life high school team's schedule if you want

College

Coach's Trust
  • You work your way up the depth chart by earning Coach's Trust Points, and even when you have enough points to catch the player who's higher than you on the chart, you can then only take that position by winning a Position Battle – which is a glorified practice session
  • Non-starters will earn Trust Points through practices and occasions when you see the field during mop-up time, etc.
  • Coach Trust Points extend to your on-the-field power. QBs won't be able to call audibles or hot routes until they have earned the coach's trust
  • Earn enough points and you can have the chance to call plays from "Extra Plays" – an extended selection of plays than what the coach has already called. This is available in varying frequency during a game the more Trust Points you earn
  • The development team is also working on improving the AI play calling

XP and the Upgrade Store
  • XP you earn during your college career is spent on item packs in the Upgrade Store. These packs are built around groups of attributes for specific types of players. For example, the scat back pack boosts your acceleration and juke ability
  • There are 600 item packs total, and they'll be six different ones available each week. Rarity, cost, and duration vary, but they will all be based around your position
  • Upgrade Store items cannot be bought via micro-transactions

Misc.
  • Calendar system scrapped, and the Road to Glory presentation is similar to the Dynasty Mode's menus
  • The mode's menus, replays, montages, etc. will be centered around your player
  • Practices are now 25 reps per practice
  • Can save all your Road to Glory replays onto your NCAA browser page
  • No more study sessions on your calendar

Source - Deep Inside NCAA Football 12 (Game Informer)

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 LionsFanNJ @ 05/23/11 07:52 PM
Man. RTG is going to be great to play. I'm going to love recreating a few of the NJ HS teams near me in TB and have my dual threat QB/FS. Or HB/LB go nuts on them. This year is a definite must buy for me. I haven't been this pleased with all the info for a few years now

sent from parts unknown

# 162 Michgantown @ 05/23/11 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
you are ridiculous... its $7 dollars... if you cant afford $7 you surely can't afford the $60 to buy the game or the $300 to buy the console... so why are you here?

the other guys are right, its not a must have to play the game. It's an add on feature. If you want the ability to advance the week from your pc or supersim games you pay for that service. You DONT have to have it that way and you can do all that on your console for free.

Just because it's a feature for the game doesn't mean they have include it for free because it's a feature on convenience. Again you can do all this on your console for free. So for the convenience of you to play the game through your PC you have to pay $7 for the entire year. EA runs a business, why do you forget that. This feature is adding cost to the game's development. So either you pay the $67 right up front for a feature you may not use or you can pay the standard $60 and if you want to use the feature you pay for it.

How do you not understand this? It's simple business practices that happen in other sectors of business other than the video game business and you're up in arms about a common practice now days.
Technically,xbox users have to pay to do it from their console.

# 163 mattbooty @ 05/23/11 08:01 PM
Quote:
This feature is adding cost to the game's development.
And more than that, these particular features are going to require EA's ongoing costs to keep servers up and available to process the advance and the game sims, that goes beyond normal development costs which in my eyes justifies a small cost. That is what keeps me from getting up in arms over it, these features cost EA more than any in-console feature would have cost them.

# 164 poopoop @ 05/23/11 08:08 PM
Quote:
you are ridiculous... its $7 dollars... if you cant afford $7 you surely can't afford the $60 to buy the game or the $300 to buy the console... so why are you here?
Who said I couldn't afford it? $7 isn't a lot of money, doesn't mean I want to spend it on micro-transactions for a game I already paid full price for.

Quote:
the other guys are right, its not a must have to play the game. It's an add on feature. If you want the ability to advance the week from your pc or supersim games you pay for that service. You DONT have to have it that way and you can do all that on your console for free.
Again, obviously it's optional. Was never up for debate, no one ever said otherwise.

Quote:
Just because it's a feature for the game doesn't mean they have include it for free because it's a feature on convenience.
True but games used to be that way, now they want to add a bunch of additional charges in. They push it further every year. That's my beef. They already have plans for a subscription based service in the future. (http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/04/22...iption-service) When will it end?

It's not going to end until they find a point where the consumers as a whole won't tolerate it. Too bad we have people who not only tolerate it, but seemingly argue in favor of it.

Quote:
How do you not understand this? It's simple business practices that happen in other sectors of business other than the video game business and you're up in arms about a common practice now days.
Just because something is common doesn't mean it's ok.

# 165 statdude @ 05/23/11 08:09 PM
Why the heck is Bama still 99 OVR?

# 166 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
Man. RTG is going to be great to play. I'm going to love recreating a few of the NJ HS teams near me in TB and have my dual threat QB/FS. Or HB/LB go nuts on them. This year is a definite must buy for me. I haven't been this pleased with all the info for a few years now

sent from parts unknown
Yea IT is
I am from Jersey too. I wonder what they mean by local schools. Besides Rutgers, Syracuse, and Penn Colleges, Maryland, there arent many schools close too NJ. I always start off with a HB then QB. The only school I want to play for that is close to NJ is Rutgers. I never usually try to play for the best team anyway.
I am starting to think that we MIGHT be able to play dual positions in college too. I think we are getting skill points too.I think we would be able to edit our defensive ratings in HS. I would love to be a Slash type of players
I dont know if alot of you knew, but in previous years in RTG the team you selected as your favorite team when you start off, you used there playbook in HS. So it didnt matter if you was a Option QB, if your fav team was TTech you would use there playbook. So if we are able to play for a TB team, I would love to use a Custom Playbook for my RTG HS season

# 167 sparkdawg777 @ 05/23/11 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by statdude
Why the heck is Bama still 99 OVR?

They're returning a lot of their starters on defense and have Trent Richardson. They are going to be GOOD. I'm picking them to win the NC.

# 168 moylan1234 @ 05/23/11 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Me either. I wish other "Little Things" would have been added. But I am more than okay with it. Might have to wait for Friday.
I plan on starting as a OC. But, I already had plans on what Defense I wanted to run and will make a Custom Playbook. I hope we can give suggestions on what scheme we want to have. I had plans on make a Multi-Def playbook with mainly 3-4, 4-3,3-3-5, and Quarter.
you don't have to worry about that because you can edit all coaches meaning whatever the game gives you for assistants you can make them both fat guys in suits wearing visors who coach the same as you do

# 169 xITSxDAWKINSx @ 05/23/11 08:41 PM
looking forward to offline dynasty. online dynasty is always fun but easeems like they just what every last dime they can get. rtg looks good again.

# 170 BlackBetty15 @ 05/23/11 09:02 PM
I cant stand lloking at all this crap any more! I need the game ASAP! Its sad how I am wishing days of my life away to get this game here earlier!

# 171 dirtysouth1295 @ 05/23/11 09:06 PM
this game is gonna be good

# 172 boritter @ 05/23/11 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michgantown
Technically,xbox users have to pay to do it from their console.
So do PSN users. Except they pay with personal information instead of $

And PSN users might be forced to pay to do it from their computer, since the PSN might go down for a few weeks at a time.

# 173 Anaxamander @ 05/23/11 09:42 PM
For me, tendencies, age, playbook, and prestige are all the key ingredients for a coach. If you win with your system, your prestige increases, which makes you a "better" coach. I honestly think that's the best way to handle it, instead of using ratings. If you think about it, talents for a coach are illusory in the first place. Sometimes it seems as simple as a guy being in the right place at the right time, winning more games than people thought, which leads to the media taking notice, which leads to better recruits coming in, which leads to more wins, which leads to better recruits, etc.

I'm really liking the way dynasty and Road to Glory look. I think I'll give both a shot this year. I'm all for different ways to play the game, and EA seems to be upping the ante on replayability big time this year.

# 174 Gloves 82 @ 05/23/11 09:53 PM
So I know that you can create teams on teambuilder to play against in your RTG, but can you also create a team to play on using teambuilder?

# 175 LionsFanNJ @ 05/23/11 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch
Making Don Bosco or SPP?

Or like Long Branch?
Mostly some Monmouth/Ocean county schools (Long Branch, Asbury, Middletown South, RBC) with a few of the top state teams like SPP and Don Bosco thrown in.

there's a real outside shot I might do the schools around Jersey City since that's where i grew up.

# 176 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves 82
So I know that you can create teams on teambuilder to play against in your RTG, but can you also create a team to play on using teambuilder?
I want to know too. IT would be great option.

# 177 cts @ 05/23/11 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
For me, tendencies, age, playbook, and prestige are all the key ingredients for a coach. If you win with your system, your prestige increases, which makes you a "better" coach. I honestly think that's the best way to handle it, instead of using ratings. If you think about it, talents for a coach are illusory in the first place. .
Great post.

# 178 Gloves 82 @ 05/23/11 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I want to know too. IT would be great option.
Definitely. I'm already gonna be creating the other 7 teams in our conference, but I'd love to be able to create my HS.

# 179 DickDalewood @ 05/23/11 10:12 PM
Very awesome.

Also, I would definitely play Road to Glory if it would let me play the games normally (ie, controlling everyone on both sides of the ball). If I could do that, I would have a lot of fun with this, as that is how it was originally implemented way back when.

Oh well.

# 180 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves 82
Definitely. I'm already gonna be creating the other 7 teams in our conference, but I'd love to be able to create my HS.
If so and the abilty to set Quarter Lengths, Better Playcalling by Coach, and Presentation, I would put RTG on the top of the list when it comes to BAP modes.
I love that there will be no Study sessions and there will be Competetion from Backup

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.